Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By thaifood
  • 1 Post By opry051008

Thread: CD vs Vinyl

Concert Stars

CD vs Vinyl

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but Storyteller being released on vinyl is making me consider buying a record player. The only thing is, I'm not sure I've ever even heard a record before. Is the sound difference really that great, enough to warrant buying one?

Concert Stars
    I think if you look into the differences almost everyone will state the same fact...Vinyl just sounds better. CD's are digitally compressed while Vinyl is recorded in analog, no digital compression going on there. It is a much warmer sound with a bigger degree of highs & lows. I still have all my vinyl from the 60's onward & it still sounds great.
    twaintrain, rainbow1 and Mirasa45A like this.

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    Speaking of the Storyteller vinyl, is it even available yet? I pre-ordered it and according to my bank account, Soundstage has taken the money out, but I havent gotten any kind of notification saying it's been shipped or anything. Im a little concerned lol

Concert Stars
    Amazon says it comes out December 4.

Huge Carrie Follower huggablebri's Avatar
    I just got a new record player last month and I Love it. Of course I threw all my old records away years ago. I love the sound of it. Only drawback is that they can usually only fit about 3 or 4 songs per side, so they are usually double LPs and you have to get up a lot more to change em.lol

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
    I think if you look into the differences almost everyone will state the same fact...Vinyl just sounds better. CD's are digitally compressed while Vinyl is recorded in analog, no digital compression going on there. It is a much warmer sound with a bigger degree of highs & lows. I still have all my vinyl from the 60's onward & it still sounds great.

Same here -- mine even go back to the 1950's: Nat King Cole, Pat Boone, Bing Crosby..ha..ha..ha..

Concert Stars
    Just one thing to avoid at every turn. If they release the album on an 8 Track, run...run far & run fast. Do not buy the damned thing.

By the way, I have seen that Vinyl sales are one of the bright stars of the music universe with their % of sales actually going up & now they seem to be making an effort to restart the cassette tapes media & it also seems to be working.

Carrie Guru
    A couple of things to consider. Vinyl records are expensive and most of them don't have any resale value. Also, you cannot skip songs on a vinyl album unless you get up and move the needle and the songs have to be played in exact order that they are on the vinyl, you can't shuffle or obviously mix with other songs in your vinyl collection, lol. So the bottom line is that you absolutely have to love vinyl to want to invest in that technology. If you know anyone with a vinyl record player, I would advise trying it out before you buy.
    twaintrain likes this.

Concert Stars
    I guess my only thing is, how often do I just sit and listen to music in my house? I do in the car, at work sometimes, maybe while I'm doing other stuff, but never do I just sit on the couch and listen.

•