Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By The Nanook
  • 1 Post By The Nanook
  • 1 Post By The Nanook
  • 1 Post By The Nanook

Thread: Luke Bryan - Kill the Lights

Concert Stars

Luke Bryan - Kill the Lights

I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread for this.

Singles:

1. Kick the Dust Up

Lyric Video

2. Strip it Down

Lyric Video

Concert Stars
    I just streamed the new album, my first impression is that it's definitely a lot more mellow and is filled with mid-tempos. Kill the Lights sounds like That's My Kind of Night mixed with Another One Bites the Dust. Fast is like an attempt on I Go Back and Don't Blink. There's a part of the first verse of Move that sounds like Country Girl Shake it For Me. I quite like Razor Blade and Scarecrow as well as To the Moon and Back (I like the female background vocalist; it reminds me a lot of David Nail's songs). A lot of the songs are decent (like Fast and Way Way Back), but nothing really stands out to me. Home Alone Tonight isn't as great as I thought it'd be for a duet - Karen definitely makes the track better. He's rightfully made the right move away from bro-country, but I feel like he's a bit lost now that he's lost his niche.

My guess for singles:

Kick the Dust Up
    Strip it Down
    Home Alone Tonight
    Kill the Lights
    To the Moon and Back (maybe they'll take a risk and release this)

Updated sales projections from HDD.

The latest numbers have Luke Bryan's Kill the Lights retaining its lead, but Dr. Dre's Compton gaining—particularly, you will not be surprised to hear, in the streaming arena. We are now projecting total Dre streams of 25m. Here's how it looks right now:

Luke Bryan (Capitol Nashville) 315-325k albums, 335-340k SPS
    Dr. Dre (Aftermath/Interscope) 290-300k, 320-330k
    Last edited by The Nanook; 08-10-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    gocountrymusic likes this.

Concert Stars
    i'll just keep posting haha.

But this is pretty cool. Luke singing Want You to Want Me with Jason Derulo. I didn't know he could sing that high, but he sounds good. Honestly, there were notes where I couldn't tell who was singing.

https://www.facebook.com/lukebryan/v...3493949996031/
    Curr likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    i'll just keep posting haha.

But this is pretty cool. Luke singing Want You to Want Me with Jason Derulo. I didn't know he could sing that high, but he sounds good. Honestly, there were notes where I couldn't tell who was singing.

https://www.facebook.com/lukebryan/v...3493949996031/
    Luke Bryan floods my basement when he sings this. Lord. Have. Mercy.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Not shocked that Luke will outsell Dr. Dre. Dre's album is only on ITunes/Apple music.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for starting the thread. I have been meaning to listen to Luke's album. I have two copies of the CD sitting at my house and haven't opened them yet! I got one free CD with each ticket I purchased for his Farm Tour. I'm looking forward to listening.

Insane Carrie Fan
    This is a pretty good album for sure. I really like "To The Moon and Back", my favorite and I hope it's released someday. I like "Home Alone Tonight" it's just fun, not serious, so I wouldn't be mad if it's released. I also really liked "Just Over" and "Razor Blade"

They added a couple of videos to Luke's YouTube/Vevo channels:

Kill The Lights:

here's the other: Huntin', Fishin' and Lovin' Every Day

Obsessed Carrie Fan MSCarriefan's Avatar
    Home Alone Tonight, To the Moon and Back, and Fast are my favorites. I really like this album. It's way better than the Spring Break stuff!

Junior Carrie Follower
    This is a better album than CMP for sure, but I'm just not really into LB. The songs overall are definitely more countrier, but there's nothing really new or off the cuff that stands out. Luke is one of those artists who I might listen a few times to some songs of theirs on Youtube, but I would never actually spend money on buying an album from him. It will be interesting to see who takes the #1 on BB between Luke and Dr Dre. Luke's sales estimates have gone down twice now; on Monday it was estimated he'll now sell 335-340k SPS, with Dre doing 320-330k. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets pipped at the post.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I'm not surprised at Luke's sales going down this era. It is much like Carrie with Carnival Ride or Lady A with their album after Need You Now. Carrie opened with over 500k for CR, because she was coming off of BHC. Lady A opened strong because of NYN. Luke opened strong with Crash My Party because he was coming off the success of Country Girl Shake It For Me. It's that whole, opening week after a hit song scenario. It seems like country artists get that once in their career, some at the beginning (like Carrie), some later (like Luke and Lady A), but they never seem to repeat the big sales week later in their career.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I'm not surprised at Luke's sales going down this era. It is much like Carrie with Carnival Ride or Lady A with their album after Need You Now. Carrie opened with over 500k for CR, because she was coming off of BHC. Lady A opened strong because of NYN. Luke opened strong with Crash My Party because he was coming off the success of Country Girl Shake It For Me. It's that whole, opening week after a hit song scenario. It seems like country artists get that once in their career, some at the beginning (like Carrie), some later (like Luke and Lady A), but they never seem to repeat the big sales week later in their career.
    Never say never...hehehe

I honestly think Carrie can bc she is so versatile. However she needs to up her SINGLEs. She needs to release a fun relatable single. (Luke is sellig sex to the country crowd. Since Carrie is too classy, I think a good, I am a strong woman rocker song will do. It needs to be rambunctious.)

I really wish Carrie would remix. If she did, her tour #s would be as good as the country boys. She needs the # for a CMA EOTY win.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    Never say never...hehehe

I honestly think Carrie can bc she is so versatile. However she needs to up her SINGLEs. She needs to release a fun relatable single. (Luke is sellig sex to the country crowd. Since Carrie is too classy, I think a good, I am a strong woman rocker song will do. It needs to be rambunctious.)

I really wish Carrie would remix. If she did, her tour #s would be as good as the country boys. She needs the # for a CMA EOTY win.
    I'm confident that Carrie will only ever have a bigger opening week for a new album, compared to previous ones, if she remixes and goes pop either on the lead single or the previous album era. She can still put out quality stuff like from BA, but she's not going to garner new interest like she was a new artist unless she completely reinvents herself (i.e. going pop).

Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    This is a pretty good album for sure. I really like "To The Moon and Back", my favorite and I hope it's released someday. I like "Home Alone Tonight" it's just fun, not serious, so I wouldn't be mad if it's released. I also really liked "Just Over" and "Razor Blade"
    It's interesting to see the most popular songs on iTunes so far. Singles usually come from an album's first 6 or so songs, but besides Kick the Dust Up and Strip It Down, which are already singles, the next best selling songs off the album are Track 2 (Kill the Lights), Track 12 (Huntin', Fishin'...), Track 4 (Home Alone Tonight), and then Track 11 (To the Moon and Back). I don't remember the last time a song that far back on an album was released, but I wonder if they'll release Huntin' or Moon just because of the reception they're getting.
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

I haven't given the whole album a listen yet. I've tried, but I end up getting bored easy with Luke even though I do like him. I like Kill The Lights - it's fun and sounds different overall. Not country, but different!

Concert Stars
    HDD is saying Kill the Lights opened with 326,439 in sales and 352,651 SPS (26,212 streams).
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Finally making it back to comment on the album. I have listened to it numerous times, as I've had it on repeat on Spotify in my car. So, I guess in addition to having "bought" two physical copies with my farm tour tickets, now I am contributing to streaming sales too, haha. All of it is unintentional, lol. Anyway, I do like Luke, as a person and I like his music generally as well. However, I am already getting tired of the album and honestly am only still listening to it because I keep forgetting to change the music on Spotify before I start driving. The album is good, but it's not something I'm going to listen to for years to come. I'll give a brief track by track review.

1. KTDU - This one has grown on me, for sure. When I first heard it on the radio I thought it was worse than That's My Kind of Night, but it is catchy and makes you wanna dance. I can't get "knock, knock, knock goes diesel" out of my head. Which I just realized as I type this makes me think of "pop goes the weasel", lol.
    2. Kill The Lights - This one is pretty generic for me. It sounds like any old bro-country/Luke song.
    3. Strip It Down - This song is good and it could almost be great with some tweaks. I don't mind a little music for setting the mood, but there is something about this song that just seems a little clunky and not as smooth as I wanted it to be. As far as country "love" jams, nothing still tops Keith Urban's "Raining on Sunday" for me. Or Dierks Bentley "Come A Little Closer" or his newer "Close Your Eyes".
    4. Home Alone Tonight - I do like this song overall, but dang it, if you get an opportunity to have Karen Fairchild sing on one of your songs, pick a better song!
    5. Razor Blade - This is probably one of my favorites on the album. I do like it quite a bit.
    6. Fast - One of the countrier songs and I like the sentiment of time going to fast.
    7. Move - Luke intended for this to be CGSIFM 2.0 and it is and it succeeds very well at that. It does make me want to dance, so I guess it did its job!
    8. Just Over - This one is ok. Not bad, not great. Just good enough I guess.
    9. Love it Gone - I think this one is good, but I haven't listened to the back end of the CD enough.
    10. Way Way Back - I don't even remember what this sounds like.
    11. To the Moon and Back - I do love this song and I love that it's for his wife.
    12. Huntin, Fishin, ... - Considering I don't hunt or fish, this song doesn't apply to me, but it is country at least, I guess.
    13. Scarecrows - I think this one is good, but I couldn't sing it for you if I had to.

So, yeah, most of the songs just aren't memorable to me. I find that to be a problem with a lot of country music now. It's not that it is that bad - I don't mind party songs when I want to dance or when I'm tailgating at a football game, but the music just isn't memorable. I can listen to a song and five minutes later I've forgotten what it sounds like.

•