Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By txacar
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Apple Music

Obsessed Carrie Fan carriefan14's Avatar

Apple Music

Has anyone tried out Apple Music yet? My free 3 month trial started today and I love it. Honestly, I will probably never go back to radio/albums again. I would say my favorite feature is making your own playlists from pretty much any song out there, or being able to look at all the charts and hear the full song.

I mean I would still probably buy Carrie's albums but for $9.99/month you can hear a million songs all day long. I think streaming will eventually put albums and car radio to bed, but how does all this affect Carrie? Does she get less money if I choose to just use the app?

Concert Stars
    My husband is loving the trial. But once the trial ends that will probably be it for Him. Lol. Until our support is more steady.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carriefan14 View Post
    Has anyone tried out Apple Music yet? My free 3 month trial started today and I love it. Honestly, I will probably never go back to radio/albums again. I would say my favorite feature is making your own playlists from pretty much any song out there, or being able to look at all the charts and hear the full song.

I mean I would still probably buy Carrie's albums but for $9.99/month you can hear a million songs all day long. I think streaming will eventually put albums and car radio to bed, but how does all this affect Carrie? Does she get less money if I choose to just use the app?
    Not sure how much Apple Music pays in royalties, but I know Spotify pays next to nothing...so if it's similar to that, then the artists are barely getting paid

Concert Stars
    ^ Interesting article about amount Apple Music will pay and how it will affect itunes, etc.

How Much will Apple Music Pay? - Soundplate.com
    terilyn and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I'm not sure of the details, but I think the original proposal to pay nothing at all during the first three months was modified, after widespread protests.

In any case, I shan't be trying the service - I have issues with Apple's policy of preventing people who don't use either Windows or Mac from using their flagship i-Tunes site (I'm not sure if the same restriction will be applied to their new streaming music service as well, but as there are already plenty of streaming sites which don't try to limit users to the "big two" operating systems, I don't feel like supporting any Apple venture)
    rainbow1 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I'm not sure of the details, but I think the original proposal to pay nothing at all during the first three months was modified, after widespread protests.

In any case, I shan't be trying the service - I have issues with Apple's policy of preventing people who don't use either Windows or Mac from using their flagship i-Tunes site (I'm not sure if the same restriction will be applied to their new streaming music service as well, but as there are already plenty of streaming sites which don't try to limit users to the "big two" operating systems, I don't feel like supporting any Apple venture)
    What else is there besides Windows or Mac? I feel like most companies don't pander to any other operating systems either. Not just Apple?

They have an "Intro to Carrie Underwood" playlist which they do for most major artists. The write-up is pretty awesome, though I disagree with what songs were put on it and in what order. It says:

"Launched to fame by her fourth-season victory on American Idol, Carrie Underwood quickly distanced herself from her talent-show beginnings with a string of platinum-selling albums that helped introduce country music to an entirely new generation. From radio hits to GRAMMY nominations to sold-out tours, the Grand Ole Opry member hit countless career milestones before the age of 25, achieving national-sweetheart status in the process."

1. Blown Away
    2. Undo It
    3. Something in the Water
    4. Before He Cheats
    5. Jesus, Take the Wheel
    6. Temporary Home
    7. Change
    8. I Told You So
    9. Cowboy Casanova
    10. Wasted
    11. Last Name
    12. Inside Your Heaven
    13. See You Again
    14. So Small
    15. Mama's Song
    16. Two Black Cadillacs
    17. Little Toy Guns

It was an obvious blunder not to include "Good Girl" on there, and I would have replaced "Change" (why did they put Change on there?) and Inside Your Heaven with Good Girl and Just a dream, but otherwise it's pretty nice.

Scratch that, I would have put Good girl and all-American girl. Obviously this person isn't a die hard fan, so they are forgiven, but everybody knows GG is a great opener. But I won't elaborate on this horrible blunder, because it's probably mentally unhealthy. Lol...

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lstname89 View Post
    What else is there besides Windows or Mac? I feel like most companies don't pander to any other operating systems either. Not just Apple?
    I use Linux. (I've used many distributions in the past, currently Linux Mint Debian Edition). I have no trouble using it on Spotify, Amazon, ReverbNation, SoundCloud, MySpace, CDBaby etc. (in the early days Spotify used to be more roundabout for Linux users, requiring you to use Wine, which mimics a Windows environment - but there's now a native Linux application)

There's virtually no reason why any web-based site should require a particular operating system - anything that can read html, java script, flash, etc should work.

I haven't tried the new Apple site - but the likelihood is that they will require i-Tunes, their proprietary software. That's has only ever been made available for Windows and Mac - it's the requirement for that extra level of software that keeps other users out.

No big deal, in the present state of play - if they don't want my custom, I'll go my way and they can go theirs.

•