• 3 Post By Smokyiiis
  • 2 Post By bluetb4
  • 2 Post By Smokyiiis
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Steven Tyler's New Country Album

Concert Stars

Steven Tyler's New Country Album

Tyler released a new country single, “Love Is Your Name” in May, and the video for it is out now

Love Is Your Name - Steven Tyler - Vevo

Rolling Stone calls it “out-of-the-box.” Naw, I think it’s pretty much right in the middle of the damn box. Why country? As he told the magazine,
    Country is changing. I think country is the new rock & roll — everyone is trying to stretch out.
    Yeah, I don’t know if I can agree with that. I’m a fan of the country classics, like Dolly Parton, but as for new/current country, it really honestly doesn’t do much of anything for me.
    Here’s what Tyler has to say about the video:
    This video has so many personal elements in it for me. I came from a family that was a touring band. I grew up as a young boy with my pet raccoon and my slingshot. My real band Loving Mary is featured in the video. This song and video resemble what the album will sound like.

I actually am a fan of the song

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Although there's often some skepticism surrounding a move into Country after an outside career, Tyler claims longstanding Country roots in both his early playing and listening preferences - including putting up a large antenna at his childhood home in New England to pull in Country stations.

I like the fact that, in both song and video, he's gone for a "Country Hippie" vibe, more reminiscent of the Festival scene than Mainstream Nashville. He includes an autoharp - a tradition that goes back to the Carter Family, but would be little heard on most chart songs today. He acknowledges an influence to Mumford and Sons in the general feel of the instrumentation - which I think is an inspired choice, helping to avoid some of the more usual cliches associated with a Rocker trying Country.

The song is written by Eric Paslay and Canadian singer Lindsey Lee, and, while the lyrics are relatively light, I think they create a good mood which blends well with the music.
    The video is directed by Trey Fanjoy (who also directed "Something Bad" and "Little Red Wagon", among many others)

Tyler is supported by Loving Mary - an interesting quartet, formed as an artist combination project, somewhat along the lines of the Pistol Annies or the Steeldrivers. It includes Marti Frederksen (who collaborated with Carrie on "Undo It" and "Mama's Song") and Grammy winner, Rebecca Lynn Howard - who can be seen as the dark haired couple singing on either side of Tyler in the video.
    abbeyjones18, Smokyiiis and txacar like this.

Concert Stars
    I so appreciate everything you tell us about each piece by every artist. I love the whole "vibe" of this video and song and I wish Steven Tyler nothing but the best. Like Darius Rucker...I actually like that there are so many artists with roots in country.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    ...I'll have to wait to watch the video and listen to the song, but I agree with faraway that it is not always a bad thing when an "Arttist" goes for some genre bending when you know their heart is in the right place. When it is authentically the artist and it fits within a genre I am always willing to have a listen. But I warn you, I can smell pretentious pandering a mile away. ha ha ha..... but I imagine I won't find it here. I'll listen tomorrow......
    Smokyiiis and terilyn like this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I like the video and song. I will be listening to the album and buying if I like.
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    I think its great! Love the vibe. The voice of course is just classic southern rock. Solid melody with lyrics that are true classic country mixed with some southern rock. This is much more imaginative than so many of the lyrics that we hear now that are nothing but laundry lists of "what is country" none of which really is.

I think this fits very well within the country music of today but does a great job of being specific and unique while it does. It always surprises me that S.Tyler always manages to remain so relevant wit a style that is long since gone and should be in the grave, but he does it so purely and from such a place of "heart felt" that you are immediately won over.....again!

Good for him. I think its great. And unlike someone like Kid Rock, I look forward to seeing him do the circuit. I think he is an icon and the format will love having him. I don't know if his music wll sell. I kind of doubt it. But I think it is great that he made the music for what it is.
    rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

I was not sure what to expect and did not think I would like it to be honest. The song and video is good. A pleasant surprise. Good luck to him.
    rainbow1 and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I think its great! Love the vibe. The voice of course is just classic southern rock. Solid melody with lyrics that are true classic country mixed with some southern rock. This is much more imaginative than so many of the lyrics that we hear now that are nothing but laundry lists of "what is country" none of which really is.

I think this fits very well within the country music of today but does a great job of being specific and unique while it does. It always surprises me that S.Tyler always manages to remain so relevant wit a style that is long since gone and should be in the grave, but he does it so purely and from such a place of "heart felt" that you are immediately won over.....again!

Good for him. I think its great. And unlike someone like Kid Rock, I look forward to seeing him do the circuit. I think he is an icon and the format will love having him. I don't know if his music wll sell. I kind of doubt it. But I think it is great that he made the music for what it is.
    Couldn't agree more and was surprised at how much I liked it
    lizcarlo, pklongbeach and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Steven sounds great on his new single, but it sounds like things got alittle hot when shooting the video!

Steven Tyler Gets Burned (Literally) Making First... - RAM Country on Yahoo Music
    rainbow1 and Smokyiiis like this.

Concert Stars
    ^^ Wow, that's scary! Thanks for sharing!
    rainbow1 and bluetb4 like this.

Although there appears to be no official track list from the label yet, it's believed that this message from Steven's Facebook page does reveal most, if not all, of the titles:

"MY OWN WORST ENEMY discovered that WE’RE ALL SOMEBODY FROM SOMEWHERE but HOLD ON he (WON’T LET GO), like everything else, IT AIN’T EASY but when LOVE IS YOUR NAME it helps, yet I still find I need to MAKE MY OWN SUNSHINE with assistance from a GYPSY GIRL and maybe SOMEBODY NEW, however, it’s ONLY HEAVEN that really sees THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY AND ME but I see the RED, WHITE & YOU all the way down to SWEET LOUISIANA I ask myself, WHAT AM I DOIN’ RIGHT? because JANIE’S GOT A GUN but this world has a PIECE OF MY HEART.
    -ST, We’re All Somebody From Somewhere

So far, it seems that Steven is making a real effort to unify musical styles and tastes (something that not everyone coming into Country from an outside career understands). The first single, posted at the start of this thread, had a definite "Americana" flavour - and it was followed by the much more Mainstream leaning "Red, White and You", which was produced by Dann Huff.

I'd like to thank him for giving a spot in his band to Jenée Fleenor (who is the fiddler in Blake Shelton's band, and a talented musician and songwriter, who's been a nominee at the IBMA awards). She's second left in this Today show video from a couple of days ago, with a featured solo around 2'30.

That has now been confirmed as the track list, with songwriters. (Steven co-wrote a majority himself, and his collaborators could be considered, in many cases, a standard, if strong, roster for the format, e.g featuring radio-friendly writers such as the Warren Brothers - but it's interesting to note how many of these writers have also worked with Carrie)

1. “My Own Worst Enemy” (Steven Tyler, Brad Warren, Brett Warren)
    2. “We’re All Somebody From Somewhere” (Steven Tyler, Jaren Johnston)
    3. “Hold On (Won’t Let Go)” (Steven Tyler, Jason Boyd, Jared Gutstadt, Jeff Peters)
    4. “It Ain’t Easy” (Steven Tyler, Cary Barlowe, Nathan Barlowe, Hillary Lindsey)
    5. “Love Is Your Name” (Lindsey Lee, Eric Paslay)
    6. “I Make My Own Sunshine” (Alyssa Bonagura)
    7. “Gypsy Girl” (Steven Tyler, Ross Copperman, David Hodges)
    8. “Somebody New” (Steven Tyler, Brett James, Hillary Lindsey, Troy Verges)
    9. “Only Heaven” (Steven Tyler, Rhett Akins, Chris DeStefano)
    10. “The Good, The Bad, The Ugly & Me” (Steven Tyler, Brad Warren, Brett Warren)
    11. “RED, WHITE & YOU” (Steven Tyler, Nathan Barlowe, Levi Hummon, Jon Vella)
    12. “Sweet Louisiana“ (Steven Tyler, Cary Barlowe, Nathan Barlowe, Hillary Lindsey)
    13. “What Am I Doin’ Right?” (Steven Tyler, Brad Warren, Brett Warren)
    14. “Janie’s Got A Gun” (Steven Tyler, Tom Hamilton)
    15. “Piece Of My Heart” (with The Loving Mary Band) (Bert Berns, Jerry Ragovoy)

Album release is expected on July 15th

Alyssa Bonagura (the only writer with a solo credit) studied in Liverpool, England, and has built a reputation as a singer-songwriter, who has also produced albums by Jo Dee Messina and Jessie James. Her song on Steven's album has been out for a few years, and can be heard here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUFDFePer_c
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

I've just heard that two of my favourite artists - Megan and Rebecca Lovell (whom I've followed since I first heard them as teens, with their sister, on "A Prairie Home Companion") - who now appear as the innovative duo, Larkin Poe - are playing on two tracks of the album, "Somebody New" and "Sweet Louisiana" (Both those tracks are Hillary Lindsey co-writes)
    hjj likes this.

•