Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Kelsea Ballerini - The First Time Era

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar

Kelsea Ballerini - The First Time Era

Any other Kelsea supporters or people who'd enjoy discussing her? Her album is really fantastic!

I don't know if I'm a 'supporter' yet, but I have had this video of 'Dibbs' on repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnhxQRHo6vw

Hope it ends up being a single - seems like a fun song for summer!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Is her album on Spotify? If so, I'll check it out.

Huge Carrie Follower
    ^Yup. It is.

My favorites are Secondhand Smoke and Stilettos.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I'll give it a listen. Cary mentioned this in the LTG chart thread and I think I said it myself in another thread (or if I didn't, it was in a post I started to type that got lost in a "server busy" error), but I do think LMLYMI sounds like the female version of bro-country. Not the lyrics necessarily, but the music/style. It fits in very well with the current country music trend, which is probably why she is getting some traction on the charts. It is different than what the other new-ish females are putting out. I think it was in the saladgate thread that I made the comment that most of the newer females (Kellie, Danielle, Lauren, Mickey, etc) are releasing music that sounds like the same stuff Martina, Faith, Sara Evans, etc were putting out in the late 90s and early 2000s. We've heard it before and while it may be good and they may be good singers, it isn't anything new. I also said that if Carrie was to release some of her earlier singles in the current climate, I don't think they would succeed now. I think her edgier, sassy songs like BHC, LN, UI, CC, etc would still hold up, but I don't think songs like JTTW, DFTRM, Wasted, SS, JAD, TH, etc would hit #1 on current country radio. Luckily, except for SYA, Carrie really changed it up for the BA era and even SITW/LTG are very beat driven. I think she will continue to include uptempo, beat driven music in the new era, although I hope it is more in the rock/blues style than the pop/R&B style some of the males are going (ala Sam Hunt).

From what others have said on this site, it also appears that even though Kelsea is on a small, independent label, it is a well-funded label that can spend money on promoting her. And, of course, a good old Taylor Swift endorsement never hurt anyone, lol.

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Is her album on Spotify? If so, I'll check it out.
    The best songs in my opinion are XO, The First Time, Sirens, Dibs, Stilletos, and Yeah Boy. Yeah Boy could rock country radio lol and everyone loves Dibs : D

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Black River Entertainment certainly appears well funded. The company behind it is involved in pro sports franchises. According to Wikipedia, the owner, Terry Pegula, is a "multi-billionaire" with interests in energy extraction and real estate as wel as entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieUDomination View Post
    I honestly find Kelsea more country than Taylor has been since her debut. LMLYMI sounds very pop but I couldn't see it on pop radio.
    I agree with CarrieUDomination on Kelsea's more definite Country links and potential. The hit single is very focused on a youthful, good-time Pop vibe - but if you look at the official video, it contains touches that seem references to recent Country songs - the dog's red bandana recalling Shovels and Rope, the shaking Polaroid photo recalling a line in Automatic - as well as general images like the back yard setting and the bonfire. It suggests to me that, even if the youth market and radio are the main preoccupation for a debut hit, some care has been taken to link the imagery to the contemporary Country market.

I think this is borne out more strongly if you look at Kelsea's more informal work - especially her live performances at radio stations (of which there are several on You Tube). She's seldom without her guitar, works well with acoustic backing and makes frequent reference to her songwriting.
    Here's an example:

Whether people like the song or not, it's not hard to place it pretty firmly in a Country live performance setting. That's why I disagree with Saving Country Music when they say she's a Pop singer pretending to be Country. I think she's identified a market niche with her debut hit song - which, as Kizmet says above, does fit in well with the very Mainstream leaning music and the feel-good, flirtatious, party mood that is very popular on radio - but I also think she has a wider potential that I hope she'll build on with her follow-up work.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Well, I am finally listening to this on Spotify. I'll let you know what I think, although it may take me a couple of listens to really evaluate it. I can say this - XO, the first track is VERY catchy. I think this will be a single. Of course, that is not a comment on whether or not it is country, lol, just that it is catchy.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Oh dear, I am listening to Peter Pan now. LOVE this song. If the rest of the album is as good as the first two tracks, I must say I think I'm going to love it. Peter Pan is also more country sounding. I also looked it up on wikipedia and it is VERY cool that she has written or co-written every song on her debut. I did read that she likes the conversational style of writing, so I can see where the Taylor comparisons could come in. I know lots of CFers are upset right now that LMLYMI might play a part in blocking LTG from #1 (although it is obviously not on purpose, they are just pushing KB like CRAZY), but I think if they gave this album a listen, they might like it and might be happy for her.

I hate to say this, but fans on this board have a habit of supporting other females until something happens where that other female is getting more recognition than Carrie, whether that be by getting #1 airplay when Carrie might not, getting critical acclaim/praise that Carrie doesn't get, or winning awards that they think should be Carrie's. It happened with Miranda. Lots of people on this board liked Miranda and were happy for her when she won her first FVOTY award, but as soon as she started dominating the awards, they no longer had anything nice to say about Miranda or her husband.
    txacar likes this.

I'm going to take a listen and then come back w/ my thoughts, lol. I've only heard a couple of tracks, so I need to do more in-depth research, lol.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Finally finished it. I didn't get to pay a ton of attention to it, but I think the only two songs I didn't like are Dibs and Sirens. It is on Amazon Prime, though, so I can listen to it in my car.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Oh dear, I am listening to Peter Pan now. LOVE this song. If the rest of the album is as good as the first two tracks, I must say I think I'm going to love it. Peter Pan is also more country sounding. I also looked it up on wikipedia and it is VERY cool that she has written or co-written every song on her debut. I did read that she likes the conversational style of writing, so I can see where the Taylor comparisons could come in. I know lots of CFers are upset right now that LMLYMI might play a part in blocking LTG from #1 (although it is obviously not on purpose, they are just pushing KB like CRAZY), but I think if they gave this album a listen, they might like it and might be happy for her.

I hate to say this, but fans on this board have a habit of supporting other females until something happens where that other female is getting more recognition than Carrie, whether that be by getting #1 airplay when Carrie might not, getting critical acclaim/praise that Carrie doesn't get, or winning awards that they think should be Carrie's. It happened with Miranda. Lots of people on this board liked Miranda and were happy for her when she won her first FVOTY award, but as soon as she started dominating the awards, they no longer had anything nice to say about Miranda or her husband.
    We'd like her/them if they had actually earned their awards. Carrie has, and Miranda has NOT.

Tell me how Miranda deserved and EOTY nom over Carrie? Tell me how Miranda deserved a Vocalist Of The Year award over Carrie? There is no excuse for it, so yes, we're bitter.

I like a few of Miranda's songs, but I fail to see her as anything but a trashy hillbilly. Not my cup of tea.
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lstname89 View Post
    We'd like her/them if they had actually earned their awards. Carrie has, and Miranda has NOT.

Tell me how Miranda deserved and EOTY nom over Carrie? Tell me how Miranda deserved a Vocalist Of The Year award over Carrie? There is no excuse for it, so yes, we're bitter.

I like a few of Miranda's songs, but I fail to see her as anything but a trashy hillbilly. Not my cup of tea.
    That is a bit harsh. There were years that Miranda deserved FVOTY. But she did not deserve to win it 6 years in the row. And I don't thing anyone here would really begrudge Miranda for getting an EOTY nod as long as they also give Carrie a nod when she clearly deserves it.
    abbeyjones18 and Claire2004 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    That is a bit harsh. There were years that Miranda deserved FVOTY. But she did not deserve to win it 6 years in the row. And I don't thing anyone here would really begrudge Miranda for getting an EOTY nod as long as they also give Carrie a nod when she clearly deserves it.
    How has Miranda ever deserved FVOTY over Carrie? Half the sales, half the talent.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    How has Miranda ever deserved FVOTY over Carrie? Half the sales, half the talent.
    Miranda had a massive career-defining hit in 2010 with The House That Built Me with very strong album in Revolution. That was the first year she won FVOTY. And if you check, pretty much everyonr here was happy for Miranda's win that year. We pretty much expect the from that point on Carrie and Miranda would go back and forth with the award. Noone expect Carrie getting locked out as she was.
    abbeyjones18 and Claire2004 like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Miranda had a massive career-defining hit in 2010 with The House That Built Me with very strong album in Revolution. That was the first year she won FVOTY. And if you check, pretty much everyonr here was happy for Miranda's win that year. We pretty much expect the from that point on Carrie and Miranda would go back and forth with the award. Noone expect Carrie getting locked out as she was.
    Exactly... Back in 2010. It's 2015 and besides awards, Miranda is basically a dud/flop.
    DaisyTweets likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Exactly... Back in 2010. It's 2015 and besides awards, Miranda is basically a dud/flop.
    I would agree to say that Miranda's Platinum era singles have been a mess with huge gaps in between. At this point, there's no momentum going into Smokin and Drinking whatsoever.

But an album, as a whole, platinum is one of the strongest last year, with some great work. Notable tracks: Bathroom Sink, Priscilla, All That's Left, Babies Making Babies, Girls + Holding On to You.

Just got done listening to Kelsea's album (the whole thing is a playlist on her official YouTube channel). It's okay. I think that my fave was Peter Pan...I like that song a lot.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Well I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this. For years ETOTY has been about numbers -- touring and sales and radio #1s. There hasn't been one year when ML has gotten the ETOTY nominations that she had the numbers to back up or support the nomination. NOT ONE YEAR! IMO, her nominations have made a mockery of what the award stands for.

And don't even mention the 6 yr. run of FVOTY awards. She totally didn't deserve 3/4 of them!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Getting back to Kelsea Ballerini, I've also now played the album through, and I give her credit for an interesting and varied debut.

As I suspected from the videos I'd seen earlier, it would be a mistake to say that she is Pop rather than Country. She has other influences - but care has been taken with the music, and this album is as Country as much of the material played on Mainstream radio. Some of the songs replicate the mood of the lead single, in being lightly-themed, up-beat relationship songs - but there's also more variety. Kelsea's been writing since she was 12 or 13, and several of the songs have both interesting music and lyrical insight. In that respect, I'd pick out "Underage", "Peter Pan", "Stilettos" "Second Hand Smoke" and "Sirens" as songs that went further in exploring some deeper ideas, with some memorable passages.

For the most partl, Kelsea (who, as Kizmet said, was involved in writing every track) has stuck with co-writers who are not currently prominent in other artists' Nashville chart releases. The main exception appears to be Josh Osborne, who often collaborates with Shane McAnally, and has played an important part in Kacey Musgraves' albums. Here, he has co-written "Square Pegs" - probably the musically most unusual track, but one which I found to be a bit over-ambitious to fully succeed.
    Also of interest are Catt Gravitt (on "XO") who earlier co-wrote a majority of the tracks on (and also co-produced) the Sons of Sylvia's debut album; and Kevin Savigar (on "Stilettos"), a veteran English keyboard artist, best known for his work with Rod Stewart.
    Of particular interest to me is Jennifer Denmark, who incorporates Jazz and Blues influence, and is probably the most "alternative" leaning writer here. She co-wrote "Sirens" with Kelsea - and I would cite that track as my favourite on the album.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast