Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree383Likes

Thread: This One's Not For The Girls (Country Aircheck interview of Kevin Hill)

This One's Not For The Girls (Country Aircheck interview of Kevin Hill)

Hi guys! I know this has been posted on other threads, but I feel that this deserves its own thread so that we can discuss this further, and so that the other threads will not be derailed. Also, some of the country artists and country bloggers are starting to react to this, I think this will be a big issue. Hopefully this will blow up in the face of this sexist person.

On Music And Scheduling

Great Country radio stations must have great music scheduling drawn from well-constructed libraries. That’s obvious, but the process sometimes isn’t. That’s why Country Aircheck called on consultant Keith Hill (playfully described by some as “the world’s leading authority on music scheduling”) to identify some common problems and useful tips to help stations sound their best.

The sexist part:

This One’s Not For The Girls: Finally, Hill cautions against playing too many females. And playing them back to back, he says, is a no-no. “If you want to make ratings in Country radio, take females out,” he asserts. “The reason is mainstream Country radio generates more quarter hours from female listeners at the rate of 70 to 75%, and women like male artists. I’m basing that not only on music tests from over the years, but more than 300 client radio stations. The expectation is we’re principally a male format with a smaller female component. I’ve got about 40 music databases in front of me and the percentage of females in the one with the most is 19%. Trust me, I play great female records and we’ve got some right now; they’re just not the lettuce in our salad. The lettuce is Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton, Keith Urban and artists like that. The tomatoes of our salad are the females.”

Full interview can be read here: https://www.countryaircheck.com/pdfs/current052615.pdf
    teesharky, terilyn and Pi314CA like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Well the man is a fool.That's a given.

But in some ways he's right about the guys being the lettuce.
    Like iceberg lettuce male music on country radio is bland,dull,tasteless,watered down.In a word boring.
    Something you can live without.Sliced tomatoes are far,far superior to a bowl of lettuce.

Jennifer Nettles posted a hilarious tweet that I will not post here due to language lol, but here is the link to the tweet:
    https://twitter.com/jennifernettles/...90344722395136

from Martina McBride's Facebook page:

Wow.....just wow. Just read this from a major country radio publication. How do you feel about this statement? I especially want to hear from the females. Do you not like to hear other women singing about what you are going through as women? I'm really curious. Because to me, country music is about relating. Someone relating to what you are really going through on a day to day basis in your life. Did you girls (core female listeners) know you were being "assessed" in this way? Is this how you really feel? Hmmm....
    https://www.facebook.com/martinamcbride

Windmills had an argument/debate with this person at Twitter. You can read the entire discussion per windmills' Twitter feed.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ I'll post it.Nothing wrong with the word vagina.

@JenniferNettles
    Don't worry babe. I see an opportunity here. I big ole vagina shaped opportunity. #yesisaidvagina #trynottofaint

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    I emailed Mr. Hill but doing that is pointless. He has a whole litany of excuses. What we need to do is email Country Aircheck (news@countryaircheck.com) and our radio stations to let them know. Then we need to turn off the radio!
    bluetb4 and teesharky like this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I have quit listen to country radio pretty much a while back. Country radio can't play women back to back but I have heard Luke Bryan back to back as well as 20 men after each other with same music. It must be very dishearten for the young women aspiring to break through country music. Women will have to find other marketing in order to break thru.

Series of tweets from Grady Smith, country music columnist for The Guardian:

@gradywsmith: The weirdest, saddest, most frustrating quote of 2015... "The tomatoes of our salad are the females." -Keith Hill http://t.co/7LKY7k5nEe

@gradywsmith: If Carrie, Kacey, and Miranda are the "tomatoes" of the country radio salad, then what are Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean? The Funyuns?

@gradywsmith: COUNTRY RADIO, IF YOU PLAY NO WOMEN, YOUR AUDIENCE WILL WANT NO WOMEN. YOU CREATED THE PROBLEM. YOU CAN HELP SOLVE IT TOO.

@gradywsmith: NOT A TOMATO. https://t.co/kOrkHMzk2j

@gradywsmith: NOT A TOMATO. https://t.co/sTgt6xnuY0

@gradywsmith: NOT A TOMATO. https://t.co/gTXqGqHDzY

Concert Stars
    I did a survey for a local radio station, rated most of the songs a 1, said I hated it and didn't want to hear it anymore (except for the few women that they had on the survey). At the end it says tell us something else and I said, I turned off the radio when it turned into this junk on the radio. I would turn it back on when you started to play more variety and women.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower Inspired's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Concert Stars
    So does that mean that people calling in to request female's music makes a difference? Maybe we should step up the requesting for Carrie's song - don't forget the drive time requests usually at 5:00 o clock or some stations have the noon request hour - let's get Carrie played then
    bluetb4 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    So does that mean that people calling in to request female's music makes a difference? Maybe we should step up the requesting for Carrie's song - don't forget the drive time requests usually at 5:00 o clock or some stations have the noon request hour - let's get Carrie played then
    Let's say that any country station anywhere gets a request to play a female, how many of those do you think are for females who don't have the last name Lambert or Underwood?

Concert Stars
    Tx for starting this thread. I was so
    upset when I saw this lady night. I tweeted the guy but he won't back down! Crazy! People like him
    are the reason country has gone downhill so far.

With this kind of attitude it's no wonder women have such hard time in country.
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

Concert Stars

Concert Stars
    Wow, at his comments to Alison!
    rainbow1 likes this.

Grady Smith @gradywsmith
    #SaladGate: Expert draws ire comparing country music's women to tomatoes #SaladGate: #SaladGate: Expert draws ire comparing country music's women to tomatoes | Music | The Guardian

Tennessean Music ‏@TNMusicNews
    Are female artists the "tomatoes" of country music? Sexist ?tomato? barb launches food fight on Music Row

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I just can't even at this guys remarks.He really doesn't seem to have any use for women in music at all.

and that whole don't play onion, onion, onion thing...does he listen to country radio? All the guys songs sound alike.They don't just play three onions in a row they play 10-12.

rainbow1, bluetb4 and Pi314CA like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast