• 3 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By clh_hilary
  • 1 Post By AdamJ
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By DizzyDollyDee
  • 2 Post By pklongbeach
  • 3 Post By CarrieUDomination
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Wait, Is Adele Really Releasing A Country Album?!

Wait, Is Adele Really Releasing A Country Album?!

I'm not saying this is a guarantee. I think she could make a good one if she even took a notion.

Here is Adele covering some country songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KMNv86X6Lw

Wait, Is Adele Really Releasing A Country Album?! - MTV

Ever since Adele’s critically acclaimed 2011 album 21 took over our hearts and minds, the English powerhouse vocalist has kept the world not-so-patiently waiting for new music. And while her third album is reportedly in the works, she’s kept mum on the details, leaving us totally clueless about what’s in store.

But thanks to some new insight from Kelly Clarkson, we may finally have a clue about the album’s sound — and it’s probably not what you’d expect.

In a recent interview with the Wall Street Journal to promote her new album Piece By Piece, Clarkson revealed that she’s already made a country album that she hasn’t released yet.

“I love soulful Bonnie Raitt, Travis Tritt country. That’s my favorite,” she said. “I just love that vocal. [Country musicians] are the best story tellers. That’s how my record is going to sound.”

Sounds good! But it gets better — the “Heartbeat Song” singer then discussed fellow female artists who are also experimenting with new sounds and different genres, which was when the jaw-dropping news came out.

“One of the big problems in music, and I think it’s turning around — with Pink coming out with her thing she did with Dallas [Green], Lady Gaga is showcasing her voice and doing the more Broadway aspect, and even Adele I heard is doing something more country influenced with this next record — the more artists do that, the more open-minded people get and the less formulaic it will sound,” she continued.

So there we have it, folks. According to industry insider Clarkson, Adele’s next album will be “more country influenced.” It’s not a lot of info to latch onto, but we’ll take it.

Hmm…maybe Taylor Swift’s recent genre switch-up has left a gaping hole in Nashville that Adele’s trying to claim for herself? Whatever the reason, Adele is undeniably one of music’s most talented stars, so we’re sure whatever she’s working on will be nothing short of amazing.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    She said even on 21 she was influenced by country music so I suspect more of the same
    lizcarlo likes this.

^^ you can hear the influences. If she ever made a full on country album I think she would make good one, because she is talented writer.

Concert Stars
    It rubs me the wrong way when these articles says there's a gaping hole when Taylor left! I think Carrie is the one that filled it then....and now!

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    It rubs me the wrong way when these articles says there's a gaping hole when Taylor left! I think Carrie is the one that filled it then....and now!
    Amen Sista, I was just going post something similar to this. Carrie brought in tons of people to the country genre and we are all STILL here!!
    It really ticks me off that Taylor gets so much credit for the popularity of country music....absolutely false. Her little fans bought her songs
    BUT, they listened to those songs on POP RADIO not country. She was signed to a country label and consequently the "Country Genre" received
    the bragging rights to her sales and such.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    The gaping hole in Nashville is the void left by pop fans that bought Taylor's music who didn't continue to buy country music. This fact now was not envisioned by some of the Nashville country powers-to-be as they presented Taylor with the Crystal Milestone Award in 2009 for bringing young fans to be also country music fans. We now know it was a bunch of hogwash.
    oldyfan, AdamJ, lizcarlo and 5 others like this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I agree that the majority of Swift's younger predominantly pop-listening fans never became fully invested country fans. Maybe a distinct minority became actual country fans, but all my friends that listen to Swift would not be able to name any other country singer apart from Carrie, and that's because of me, LOL.
    My own personal experience with being a huge fan of Carrie's, is that because she is so rooted in the country genre and world, to really get to know her and follow her you have to open your eyes to the genre as a whole. You have to have an appreciation for the older artists, as well as the indie ones. Because of Carrie, I now own Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Jason Isbell CDs. I would have never bothered with any of them if it weren't for Carrie. I also would have never bothered with listening to any country music, as where I'm from they only play the usual "Islands in the Stream", "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Take Me Home, Country Roads" for the Sunday country radio program. Over the Christmas break I went back home for the holidays, and I was showing my brother and sister the CDs I had bought and one of them was a Randy Travis Hits Platinum CD. I was shocked when they recognised him, as they listen to pop, RnB and rock only. I asked them how they knew who he was, and they said "isn't he that deep voice country singer who sang with Carrie Underwood on American Idol once?" I was totally floored. So now "The Storms of Life" and "Deeper than the Holler" reside on their phones, alongside Drake, Lil Wayne and Katy Perry, LOL.
    You gotta start opening people's eyes to country music somehow I guess, and introducing them through Carrie is a pretty good way to start.
    oldyfan, lizcarlo, Pi314CA and 3 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by PNGcarriefan95 View Post
    I agree that the majority of Swift's younger predominantly pop-listening fans never became fully invested country fans. Maybe a distinct minority became actual country fans, but all my friends that listen to Swift would not be able to name any other country singer apart from Carrie, and that's because of me, LOL.
    My own personal experience with being a huge fan of Carrie's, is that because she is so rooted in the country genre and world, to really get to know her and follow her you have to open your eyes to the genre as a whole. You have to have an appreciation for the older artists, as well as the indie ones. Because of Carrie, I now own Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash and Jason Isbell CDs. I would have never bothered with any of them if it weren't for Carrie. I also would have never bothered with listening to any country music, as where I'm from they only play the usual "Islands in the Stream", "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Take Me Home, Country Roads" for the Sunday country radio program. Over the Christmas break I went back home for the holidays, and I was showing my brother and sister the CDs I had bought and one of them was a Randy Travis Hits Platinum CD. I was shocked when they recognised him, as they listen to pop, RnB and rock only. I asked them how they knew who he was, and they said "isn't he that deep voice country singer who sang with Carrie Underwood on American Idol once?" I was totally floored. So now "The Storms of Life" and "Deeper than the Holler" reside on their phones, alongside Drake, Lil Wayne and Katy Perry, LOL.
    You gotta start opening people's eyes to country music somehow I guess, and introducing them through Carrie is a pretty good way to start.
    Here is a prime example of what you say in your excellent post is right on!!!

Nick from Chicago@FearlessRiOT 4h4 hours ago @WildTeenDream13 I got into country music real late; Carrie Underwood was the artist that got me to give the genre a chance.

I like Taylor. I agree with your comment. I grew up with country and its one of my favorite genres. I have always enjoyed the music. She is one of my favorite performers. Carrie is the reason I started to , and continue to watch award shows. Carrie country star power is obvious when she trended number 9 world wide when she posted the picture of Isaiah.
    oldyfan, rainbow1 and bluetb4 like this.

Kelly Clarkson said it's influenced, not a full country album. She needs to cater to her world-wide audience.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    It is really tough for artists like Adele and Kelly C. to compete in the pop world where the more clothes you remove and the more dirty dancing you do helps you to be more popular. Both of these artists still sell records and in my opinion should stay the course in pop. Moving to country (or dabbling in it) is a move to sell more albums and worm their way into a genre known for artists staying relevant in their later years. However, this is not always the case---look at Reba, Martina, Faith, etc..as they are almost non existent in the genre any more. Adele may be accepted more than Kelly as a lot of fans think (and rightfully so) that Kelly is and has been pushed by Reba and others to country. Country sites promote Kelly and include her in the country class---which I think is immature and short sighting the other country female artists that are working their butts off trying to make a living in country---and ARE country artists. Personally, I think Kelly will have a rough way to go with the country fans as some feel she is being pushed in our faces---and as a couple of the girls I know has stated---sometimes Kelly is just downright annoying in her interviews. It will be interesting to hear what these girls will say after they hear that Kelly has been lying all these years about Justin G. NOW---she says she did date him when she has strongly denied it. Go figure. I will support our country female artists -------NOT the pop tarts that are trying to get into the genre. Right now I am upset with Kelly---that she has lied about a few things---and she is putting out crappy music that is way below her standards and that she does not sound like the old Kelly at all. I cringe and laugh at Kelly when she says that Idol did not have Country music on it when she tried out----they did not when Carrie tried out and won either--and was told by others that Country music was not liked and that Simon hated it. Well, Kelly could have put her foot down and demanded that she was country ----like Carrie did---and Carrie won out. Excuses from Kelly again. trying to ease the way into the country genre again. I do not like excuses or downright lying from anyone and have a hard time trusting that person again.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    First off the comment was vague and short. My opinion is that as a writer of simple emotional songs, Adele was already writing music that is similar in vein to the way country songwriters write. So the "influence" was already present and very successful for Adele.

2nd, one off comment from Kelly Clarkson (who tends to make lots of one-off comments) hardly makes it evident that Adele is making a country album. Remember, Adele is a very natural expressive writer of her own thoughts and feelings and experiences (much much more so than the oft-quoted Taylor Swift being autobiographical). And there is no such thing as "country music" as we know it, in Europe. Country Music by name and association is a purely American thing. So it would seem completely unlikely that Adele would, for no apparent reason, decide to make an Americanized Country Album. She could! And it would probably be amazing. But it certainly does not seem likely at the moment.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Either way I like that she appreciates country artists.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    What gets me now about Taylor (as thrilled she went pop and even doing well there) is country stations continue to play her music - they won't let her leave!! Yet they won't play legit country female singers!! UGH That complaint has been beaten into the ground with no change!
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    my country station even has SIO in rotation! so.........augh
    DizzyDollyDee and lizcarlo like this.

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    At least country stations aren't playing Style...

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    and even Adele I heard is doing something more country influenced with this next record
    This information is rather tenuous - as even the MTV article admits, calling Kelly Clarkson, (a little generously when referring to other artists' album plans), an "insider", and saying they'll take the information anyway.

But even if they do take this at face value, Kelly is only saying "I heard", and that the album will be "more country influenced" - which need not imply that it will seem radically different, let alone that Adele is thinking of releasing it into the Mainstream Country format.

Adele grew up in a district strongly influenced by African and Caribbean culture, and her music is definitely Blues and Soul influenced. This fits well with some branches of the Country spectrum - you could, for example, compare the work of Norah Jones, Delbert McClinton, or Chris Izaak, who are all played on Roots stations - but not necessarily with the Mainstream radio chart. Adele's touring in America introduced her to a wider range of Country styles, which she has said were payed pretty continuously by her tour driver. It wouldn't surprise me if she incorporated more of this influence.

It's not unusual for UK musicians to relate strongly to various strands of Roots music, and see it as "coming home" to a more innovative and expressive spectrum than is experienced in the commercial scene. You could cite, for example, Mark Knopfler, Elvis Costello, or Robert Palmer as examples. If you compare Adele with Bonnie Raitt, you can see that she would fit quite easily into the types of music played on the AMA reporting stations. My guess would be that might be a more likely place to find Adele's possible future album played than the Mainstream Country stations.

Bonnie's original
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW9Cu6GYqxo

Adele's cover
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp97AWIeMbo

And Kelly Clarkson's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjxTXeL6btI
    --it may be what my ears are attuned to - I'm a long-time Roots fan - and I'll defer to her fans, if they feel differently - but, to me, that is a more Pop-influenced version. The music is less drawn out, and more heavily constructed, and I hear less of the Country cry in her voice.

And for completeness, Carrie's a capella audition song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0dfghUzrZU
    - (Bonnie has said that she was unaware of that at the time, but when she heard about it, it meant so much to her.)
    No instrumentation here, but in that short extract I pick up the more measured phrasing, the hint of melisma, the long-gone-lonesome cry in her voice. In the case of both Adele and Carrie, I hear a singer in the Roots tradition - but, accomplished vocalist though she undoubtedly is, in the case of Kelly Clarkson, I feel the jury's still out on how far she can fully reflect that tradition.
    lizcarlo and Claire2004 like this.

•