Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Shania Twain - Big Announcement!!

Concert Stars

Shania Twain - Big Announcement!!

Watching Shania In Vegas on ABC, reminiscing about my trip to Vegas to see Shania's last show (AMAZING!!!), and they said she's got a big announcement she will make this week on Good Morning America! New tour? New album? I'm so excited!!!
    carrie admirer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    Watching Shania In Vegas on ABC, reminiscing about my trip to Vegas to see Shania's last show (AMAZING!!!), and they said she's got a big announcement she will make this week on Good Morning America! New tour? New album? I'm so excited!!!
    Finally.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Yes, I definitely think it will be album news.

Miranda Lambert helped to whip up the anticipation in Nashville on Wednesday, by appearing at the Country Radio Seminar (as guest in a 90s pastiche) in the Honky Tonk Rocker persona of "Shelby Shelton", paying homage to "Who's Bed Have Your Boots Been Under".

But I'd be interested to hear what her fans think Shania's stylistic direction, and marketing strategy might be, after more than a dozen years recording dearth. (The only recent performance of Shania's that I recall seemed close to acoustic Folk)

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    I CANT WAIT!!!!! Shania is the reason I love music as much as I do. She was my first crush! Hoping for album news!

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Please be a new album!!!!
    Lstname89 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    It was good -- very good. Love the horse.

Concert Stars
    Does anyone know if they intend to replay the special on tv anytime soon? I missed it.

Concert Stars
    Don't know if this has anything to do with announcement -- Still The One Live From Vegas CD/DVD due to release on March 3, 2015. Exclusive CD/DVD package available at Wal-Mart.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    Does anyone know if they intend to replay the special on tv anytime soon? I missed it.
    You can take a look at this page on ABC.com. Don't know if you subscribe to anything on the list.

Shania: Still the One Live From Vegas Movie - ABC.com
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Concert Stars
    I have been a fan since the beginning. As a lifelong fan, I can honestly say I really don't know what direction she will go without Mutt producing her. I have a feeling it will be more country, like The Woman In Me rather than the poppier stuff, but I think it will really depend on what producer she has. It will be exciting to hear her singular viewpoint since all her old stuff was written with Mutt.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    I'm gonna guess no.the ratings were dismal - 2.6 mil
    Ratings - Saturday's Broadcast Ratings: CBS Tops Viewers, Demos with "48 Hours" | TheFutonCritic.com
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I miss the Shania with Mutt. But also, since we know how entrenched Country Music is in politicking, maybe without Mutt she can get a stronger foothold in the "country family" than she had. I mean, she was literally one of the biggest names in the entire Music Industry and Country Music acted like they barely knew her, idiots.
    But now, she may end up working with insiders and the industry may reward her for that.
    I personally miss the Shania when Mutt was around. But that is really hard to say cause what he did to her was so wrong. That I would never want her to take two steps back into the past. Time to move forward, I just hope she finds a sound that works, and not that played out 90's martina sound that is not only less popular today, but frankly, she doesn't have the voice for. (the only real reason Carries "inspirational" stuff works so well is that spectacular voice. Its not the songs themselves.) Its "Dem pipes".

I hope Shania can go back to those feisty, cute, upbeat, fluff pieces, and get a hit. I would love that for her. She certainly deserves to be back at country radio, just not singing some big inspirational ballad. There is really only one voice that can get away with that right now, and no one is going to top her......

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I miss the Shania with Mutt. But also, since we know how entrenched Country Music is in politicking, maybe without Mutt she can get a stronger foothold in the "country family" than she had. I mean, she was literally one of the biggest names in the entire Music Industry and Country Music acted like they barely knew her, idiots.
    But now, she may end up working with insiders and the industry may reward her for that.
    I personally miss the Shania when Mutt was around. But that is really hard to say cause what he did to her was so wrong. That I would never want her to take two steps back into the past. Time to move forward, I just hope she finds a sound that works, and not that played out 90's martina sound that is not only less popular today, but frankly, she doesn't have the voice for. (the only real reason Carries "inspirational" stuff works so well is that spectacular voice. Its not the songs themselves.) Its "Dem pipes".

I hope Shania can go back to those feisty, cute, upbeat, fluff pieces, and get a hit. I would love that for her. She certainly deserves to be back at country radio, just not singing some big inspirational ballad. There is really only one voice that can get away with that right now, and no one is going to top her......
    Country music acts that way now about Carrie..Carrie? Carrie who?

Why would Shania up and start singing inspirational tunes? and she's way too old for cute/feisty tunes imo.
    With all due respect to her I watched a bit of that special...she never was all that great a singer and now she pretty much has no voice. I don't see her having any success on radio at all.

and as far as Carrie's inspirational stuff, yeah that voice really helps sell the tunes but also, as opposed to Martina's, Carrie's aren't preachy.Can't stand preachy.

Concert Stars
    Yeah, I started watching and tried to hang in, but quickly went elsewhere. Her voice is just not there and the show seemed so dated to me.

Concert Stars
    With Shanias song choices; I thought I remember her last little short lived "return" and the song was one of those "feelgood" inspirational type songs, and it really went no where. And I think that is cause it really didn't say anything beyond "be good people..." and of course the problem with those songs is Good people don't have to be told to be good and Bad people don't give a d....! ha ha ha... so what is the point.

As for Carries songs, especially the ones she co-writes, you are right, they don't come across as preachy and I think there is a reason for that. Believability. I think her conviction, coupled with her own internal sense of humility is exactly what gets a song like JTTW or SITW taken seriously by otherwise cynical people. And of course, people who love sappy songs love them anyway. So they work on all levels. Not so much because the songs themselves are all that great (I truly believe if it were a different singer these songs would not break the top 20) but because of how she sings them, both is ability (those pipes) and interpretation (her artistry as a story teller) they are elevated well beyond their original state of being.

I think that was probably true with Shanias stuff with Mutt. They were pretty cheesy little pop/country songs, most of which were tongue an cheek jokes, but the combination of the way she delivered them and the way he produced the arrangements, it was pure perfection for what they were. Sometimes that chemistry happens, and you can't repeat it.

Concert Stars
    I have to disagree with Shania never having a great voice. That is what first drew me to her. If you go back and listen to the ballads on The Woman In Me, her voice, her phrasing, her conviction. No one can top it IMO. Of course, now she isn't what she used to be. Between not singing for years, getting older, and her throat closing up from her nerve issues, that is expected.

Country music always pimped her out for TV ratings then totally dissed her at award shows like they do Carrie now. So I don't know if country radio will play her new stuff or not. If in fact there is new music.

And I have to say about the ratings, it doesn't surprise me. There was no advertising. I saw one commercial and I watch ABC all the time.

Concert Stars
    What I can say about Shanias singing is that her voice so perfectly fit the music she was singing. That makes such a difference. I would not trade Carries voice for Shanias when Shania sings the songs she does. Its a perfect fit. And I agree that her interpretive abilities really shine on them.
    When I hear Miranda or Taylor sing, I always imagine that a better sing would help these songs so much, especially taylors (her voice is just so grating to me). But I never felt that way about shanias voice. No it was not Martina McBride but few are. I thought it was really perfect. I did see a filmed concert from long ago and I have to say I was very impressed with her ability to be Diva,personable,Big,intimate, Superstar all at the same time! That my friends is an Entertainer Of The Year!!! Miranda Lambert should be singing in smokey bars and country fairs in my humble opinion. And Taylor? Well she gives girls what they want so I am going to stay quiet. I am not in her demo! ha ha ha...

Speaking of demographics. The Gays LOVED Shania! They respect Carrie. They are on the fence about Taylor, and Miranda is not even in the ballpark!

Concert Stars
    The fact is, no one can sing a Shania song like Shania. I've seen so many on American Idol or wherever try to do it and they always fail. If you're a belter, you can do a Martina song. It takes more to do a Shania song, even though they may not have the high notes a Martina song would have. Shania is a song interpreter, like Reba, and those are hard to cover.

And yes, Shania is a one of a kind artist/entertainer. In the late nineties she was boss!

Huge Carrie Follower
    'Come on over' is still my favorite album of any genre
    twaintrain likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    What I can say about Shanias singing is that her voice so perfectly fit the music she was singing. That makes such a difference. I would not trade Carries voice for Shanias when Shania sings the songs she does. Its a perfect fit. And I agree that her interpretive abilities really shine on them.
    When I hear Miranda or Taylor sing, I always imagine that a better sing would help these songs so much, especially taylors (her voice is just so grating to me). But I never felt that way about shanias voice. No it was not Martina McBride but few are. I thought it was really perfect. I did see a filmed concert from long ago and I have to say I was very impressed with her ability to be Diva,personable,Big,intimate, Superstar all at the same time! That my friends is an Entertainer Of The Year!!! Miranda Lambert should be singing in smokey bars and country fairs in my humble opinion. And Taylor? Well she gives girls what they want so I am going to stay quiet. I am not in her demo! ha ha ha...

Speaking of demographics. The Gays LOVED Shania! They respect Carrie. They are on the fence about Taylor, and Miranda is not even in the ballpark!
    Miranda has dreams of having half the class of Carrie. It's not even bashing Miranda, it's just a fact. They gays love beautiful, powerful women. Not trashy, drunk off natty light, and married to Blake Shelton types.

Sorry, not sorry.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast