Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By carebear4eva
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo

Thread: Kacey Musgraves New Era (Biscuits Lead Single)

Kacey Musgraves New Era (Biscuits Lead Single)

Biscuits impacts radio March 16th! No date or title for album yet.

Here's a live performance of Biscuits : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1KRycGQzq4#t=108
    Farawayhills, JB172 and lizcarlo like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks for posting.

The new song is another co-write with Brandy Clark and Shane McAnally (who played a big part in the last album), and the theme has similarities with "Follow Your Arrow", in that both songs develop the idea of tolerance. I think "Biscuits" is the stronger of the two, though, containing sharper, more critical lines - including some great life mottoes!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Kacey is so cool.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I am going to have to listen to this song, lol. The title certainly throws me off and instantly leads me down the white trash/redneck theme, but I will listen before I criticize. I haven't yet learned to appreciate Kacey and I'm not sure I ever will.

Concert Stars
    Its well within what we expect from her at this point. I would have hoped for more growth artistically. But it right in the wheelhouse of what made her fans like her in the first place. So I would guess that it will give them just what they want.

She has an energy that I very much am drawn to. But I don't like the foul mouth and I don't particularly like the "in support of being an ass" mentality. So I get lost quickly in the thematics and the general philosophy of it all.
    Like "Blowin Smoke" I just feel like she is saying things that are needless. I mean I liked FYA as a one-off. I thought it said all that needs to be said about that whole mentality. Then busciuts comes along and basically restates it but in a more literal and in-your-face manner.

One of the off-putting things about Miranda that I have never taken to was her "like me or drop dead, I couldn't care less" attitude. And I feel that strongly coming from Katey.
    And as much as I think we should all carry that attitude with us, I see no real reason to wear it as a badge that we should flash at every opportunity. In other words, if you really don't care, what is the reason for professing it so much......

So as much as I seem to be drawn to her like a brother to a sister, she is a bit like that sister that you love, but that you struggle to relate to... (like she is going to go off at a wedding or something. And where some think it is cool to be free to go off at a wedding, I think it is selfserving and shows no general self respect........)

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Well, it shouldn't surprise me that we get a very different impression from the same song - as this seems to happen so much of the time. I guess we just have different tastes in music and rather different philosophies in life!

These are what I believe are the lyrics:

"Taking down a neighbour won't take you any higher
    Burnt my own damn finger poking someone else's fire
    I've never gotten taller making someone else feel small
    If you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say nothing at all

Chorus:
    Just hoe your own row, yeah, and raise your own babies,
    Smoke your own smoke and grow your own daisies
    Mend your own fences and own your own crazy
    Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy

Nobody's perfect, we've all lost and we've all lied
    Most of us have cheated, the rest of us have tried
    The holiest of holy even slip from time to time
    We've all got dirty laundry hanging on the line

Chorus

Pouring salt in my sugar won't make yours any sweeter
    Pissing in my yard ain't going to make yours any greener
    And I wouldn't know about the rocks in your shoes
    So I'll just do me, honey, and you can just do you

Chorus"

It seems obvious to me that the message in the song is that we're all fallible - and that no one can make anyone seem better by trying to make someone else seem worse. And that's a message that I wish more people would bear in mind more often.
    rainbow1 and HuiZ like this.

I think Kacey is talented. I wish her all the success in the world. I only like couple of her songs off of Same Trailer Different Park. I have tried to like this song. I don't care for it to be honest. I cant relate to a lot of her songs. I clicked on Cup Of Tea and really enjoyed it. I skipped the video to where she is singing the song. Does anyone know if this going to be on this cd?

Last edited by lizcarlo; 03-06-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    quincyeyes likes this.

Kacey Musgraves' Tennessee Theatre show proves her impact on future of country music | The Daily Beacon

In 2012, “Slate” asked if Kacey Musgraves was “the future of country music.”

If Friday night’s sold-out Tennessee Theatre show is any indication, the answer is a resounding “hell yes.”

I am admittedly cynical about contemporary country music. Bro-country stars like Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line are irrelevant and uninteresting to me---poor, repetitive songwriting compounded by an objectification of women and fetishization of the good ole days.

Twenty-six-year-old Musgraves, however, is astoundingly fresh. She combines the best of traditional country aesthetic (a la Alison Krauss and Glen Campbell) with cultural commentary and empowering lyrics that set a new standard for country music radio.

She arrived on stage after a solid show from the charming, folky John & Jacob, who Knoxville last saw at Remedy Coffee and the Pilot Light during last year’s Rhythm N' Blooms Festival. They adjusted to the bigger venue easily, trading their festival get-up for matching maroon tailored suits and engaging the crowd with the hit “Be My Girl,” from the television show “Nashville.”

After intermission, Musgraves’ band struck up an ambient Wild West groove on the set decorated with electric neon cacti. She emerged, clad in a sparkly pink and blue cowgirl mini-dress with glittering tights and light-up cowboy boots --- the country version of Katy Perry (who, coincidentally, she toured with last year).

Musgraves opened with the mid-tempo “Silver Linings,” also the first track on her 2013 debut album “Same Trailer, Different Park.” She then played her way through most of the album, interrupted by a variety of covers from Dolly Parton’s “Here You Come Again” to early 2000s hits like Britney Spears’ “Toxic” and TLC’s “No Scrubs.”

While her music can easily be enjoyed sitting down, Musgraves was able to rouse the crowd through the covers and her few up-tempo country rock songs, like “Blowin’ Smoke” and “Mama’s Broken Heart,” which she wrote for Miranda Lambert.

The audience, made up of a broad range of ages, sang along heartily, especially during the encore when she sang her inspirational, do-what-you-want anthem “Follow Your Arrow.” She also treated the crowd to her new single “Biscuits,” off a new album she said would be released in May. The hook? “Mind your own biscuits, and life will be gravy.”

Even with just one album, Musgraves has joined pop singers like Taylor Swift and Lorde in an era of relatable, powerful women who are writing about love, heartbreak, society and what it means to be a young woman. Now that Swift has abandoned country entirely for pop, popular country music needs artists like Musgraves to enliven a genre whose top-selling records come from mainly white men.

Near the end of her set, Musgraves discussed the theme of being yourself that often surfaces in her songs --- and offered a critique of her beloved genre.

“Country music isn’t always welcoming to different groups of people,” she said. “And it should be, because country music is supposed to be about real life.

“I’m gonna change that.”

https://www.louisville.com/content/k...in-old-country

Kacey Musgraves is a rarity in the sequenced glitz of mainstream country music, she’s a singer and songwriter, with a point of view. And that point of view doesn’t always fall in step with the ultra-conservative, sassy country girl image Nashville usually likes to see in its starlets. And if you were at The Brown Theater on Thursday night, you’ll understand how a girl that didn’t exactly fit Nashville’s mold has made such a splash in its industry.

She walked on-stage, the theater P.A. vibrating with the theme to the Clint Eastwood classic The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly – fading just in time for the band to sink its teeth into “Silver Lining”. The down on your luck anthem that opens her album Same Trailer Different Park – and it’s equally as fitting for a show opener as it is an album opener.

The setlist was packed with hits off her album like “Blowin’ Smoke”, “Follow Your Arrow”, and (of course) her smash single “Merry Go Round”. All of which lyrically chronicle the Texas native’s singular critique of the down trodden, self-perpetuating culture of indifference America has come to accept from a certain pocket of society. Her tendency to make country music culture turn a mirror on itself, has often pigeon holed her as Nashville’s “bad girl”. And I know this all sounds a little heavy, but it’s not, because she sweetens the ugly in her songs by making them bombastic, impossible-to-forget, pop-country anthems that dance in your ears for days. Which somehow allowed the juxtaposition of the neon cacti that decorated the stage, and her Loretta Lynn throwback Opry dress, all make interconnected sense.

Her band is a tight cohesive unit, centered by some of Nashville’s best young players multi-instrumentalist Misa Arriago and drummer Jared Kneale. These guys never leave her high and dry, appeasing every little nuance of her neo-country-girl heart, as they follow her into fun covers like Dolly Parton’s “Here You Come Again”, Bob Marley’s “3 Little Birds”, and Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots Are Made For Walking”.

I don’t know that I am necessarily the prime demographic she’s shooting for, in fact, I highly doubt I am; but I can say with certainty that there was a whole lot of “good”, just enough “bad”, and absolutely nothing “ugly” on that stage the other night.

Song is now available for purchase on iTunes.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    I bought Biscuits as soon as it was available. I came to Kasey's party very late. I didn't start listening to her at all until 1 year ago. I got Same Trailer, Different Park and loved the album. I like every song except I really don't get Back On The Map so I really never listen to it. I really liked the singles she released. Then The Trailer Song came out on itunes and I bought it and really liked it. I have never seen her interviewed or read anything about her except reviews of her album so I don't know anything about her attitude. I got Same Trailer, Different Park b/c it was on Country Universe's year end best albums at number 4 behind Brandy Clark's 12 Stories, LeAnn Rimes' Spitfire and Ashley Monroe's Like A Rose. So up until now my exposure to Kasey has been strictly to her music not her as a person. I haven't even seen her music videos although I'm pretty sure she has 3 out. I wasn't crazy about Biscuits when I first heard it. It sounded like a retread of the combined sentiments for Follow Your Arrow, The Trailer Song and Step Off. However, I think for someone who is not as familiar with her music Biscuits would be appealing and I like it a lot more now that I have listened to it several times. I think about Ashley Monroe's new single Onto Something Good and I think about the departure from Like A Rose and I am disappointed. I like her songs on Like A Rose a lot more with the exception of You Ain't Dolly which I just can't with that song. However, Ashely's Like A Rose was very critically successful but not commercially successful so she might be trying for commercial success. I don't think it is going to happen with Onto Something Good but I can see why she tried. (I'm hoping the rest of the album though will be more like Like A Rose). However, Kasey's album was both critically and commercially a success. That is very difficult to do. It is very difficult for any female in country music to be commercially successful except for Carrie and Miranda. I guess I can see why she would want to stick to a formula that brought her that success since it is almost impossible for female artists in country music to make it. Bottom line: I like Biscuits but if I hear many more like it then I think I'm going to start to feel like I'm being preached to. There could have been a stronger song for a lead single for her sophomore effort. Since I want to continue enjoying her music I guess I will stay away from finding out more about her as it seems some think she has an attitude problem.
    Last edited by quincyeyes; 04-04-2015 at 08:13 AM.

LOL "Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy"

Cute song, but it doesn't do that much for me tbh. Sounds like Follow Your Arrow part 2 (toned down version).

Am excited to hear the rest of her album!

Concert Stars
    I heard this for the first time on the radio yesterday and ugh, I just love it. I love the message, I love the melody, it's very cute. That's all.

•