Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: MADONNA - Rebel Heart

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    What's everyone's favorite song from Rebel Heart?

Junior Carrie Follower dsfox2009's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I really can't say that I have a "favorite", at least not yet. Some of the tracks do currently stand out in my mind, but it's still too early to pick favorites for me. I've been caught humming a bunch of the songs from the album at random times since its release though. Lol

Living For Love (EXCELLENT first single choice)
    Devil Pray
    Unapologetic B****
    B**** I'm Madonna
    Iconic
    Holy Water
    Veni Vidi Vici (only because of the references to her earlier hits)
    S.E.X.

I hear that Ghosttown is being prepped as the second single. I like the song, but it's not one that stands out to me. These days I doubt that Madonna is out looking for hit singles though, so I like that she is releasing the songs that she wants to release.
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dsfox2009 View Post
    I really can't say that I have a "favorite", at least not yet. Some of the tracks do currently stand out in my mind, but it's still too early to pick favorites for me. I've been caught humming a bunch of the songs from the album at random times since its release though. Lol

Living For Love (EXCELLENT first single choice)
    Devil Pray
    Unapologetic B****
    B**** I'm Madonna
    Iconic
    Holy Water
    Veni Vidi Vici (only because of the references to her earlier hits)
    S.E.X.

I hear that Ghosttown is being prepped as the second single. I like the song, but it's not one that stands out to me. These days I doubt that Madonna is out looking for hit singles though, so I like that she is releasing the songs that she wants to release.
    Yes, 'GHOSTTOWN' is going to be the second single, it's been confirmed.

I completely agree with you on that song. It's decent and pleasant, but nothing special about it. I think everybody knows she's not going to get a hit outside of the dance charts, especially when 'Living For Love' has failed to make an actual impact.

She would've gotten more attention had she released either 'Unapologetic *****' or '***** I'm Madonna' as the lead single though she'd be seen as juvenile and they'll be treated like they were rehashes of 'Give Me All Your Luvin''. I think 'Rebel Heart' could've worked as a lead single, and it might've been able to turn into a hit with a stronger production. All these are moot though since she didn't really have the chance to release a lead single.

I would've chosen 'Joan of Arc' as the second single. But if I were promoting the album, I'd probably do it the way Lana Del Rey's Born To Die was promoted - not really working on getting singles on radio, but rather release videos here and there from time to time. The only reason for me to release singles beyond the lead for her would just to get her more dance number ones. The three MDNA singles (GMAYL, 'Girl Gone Wild', 'Turn Up The Radio') all hit No 1 there, although it's by no means a guarantee still, as 'Revolver' featuring Lil Wayne failed to enter the penthouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    Probably either 'Joan of Arc' or 'Hold Tight'.

But I quite like 'Living For Love', 'Holy Water', 'Devil Pray', 'Veni Vidi Vici', and 'Rebel Heart' as well. I actually really like 'Addicted' which is only on the super deluxe version (should be getting it any day now) but I have yet to listen to the final version.
    GumbyJRH likes this.

She's still fighting for that No 1 against Empire. Bad luck I suppose as you could've gotten the No 1 easily last week.

Their plan this time seems not to be getting a splashy first week as they sure did with MDNA, with their having television promotion and most of the tour bundles only next week.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    Mine is Joan of Arc! But I am in love with most of them..

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    I LOVE Wash All over Me.

5 Songs You Didn't Know Madonna Sang Backup On
    ARTICLESPOP-SHOPLIST
    By Joe Lynch | March 04, 2015 2:55 PM EST

Madonna
    Madonna photographed in New York in 1984.
    Michael Putland/Getty Images
    3.391 k
    For someone as internationally beloved as Madonna, it's strange to think there are musical nuggets from her golden years that most people might not be aware of.

We're not talking about unreleased demos, either -- these are commercially released recordings, several of which hit various Billboard charts. The reason no one associates them with her? She's the backup singer. And in many cases, her vocals were entirely uncredited.

Madonna's 40 Biggest Billboard Hits

Below, check out five songs you didn't know Madonna sang backup on. And if you already knew about all five of these songs, well, you are an A+ die-hard.

Naked Eyes: "Promises, Promises" (Jellybean 12" Mix) (1983)

No, Madonna's voice isn't buried in the background of this No. 11-peaking Hot 100 hit from 1983. But she did contribute very lovely backup vocals to a 12" mix of the song done by John "Jellybean" Benitez, a New York DJ/producer she dated early in her career.

Jellybean: "Sidewalk Talk" (1984)

Speaking of Jellybean, not long before Madonna's Like a Virgin album dropped, she sang backup on the 1984 hit "Sidewalk Talk" from her former flame. The fun, lighthearted tune features forgotten singer Catherine Buchanan on lead vocals, but the sound of Madonna's joyous voice (think "Holiday") is the song's selling point.

Why Madonna didn't take lead on a song she wrote is beyond me. Regardless, "Sidewalk Talk" topped the Dance Club Songs chart -- a testament to her under-appreciated songwriting talent.

Nick Kamen: "Each Time You Break My Heart" (1986)

British heartthrob Nick Kamen never made it huge, but he had an auspicious start: His first single featured Madonna as a backing vocalist. Written by Madonna and frequent collaborator Stephen Bray, "Each Time You Break My Heart" sounds exactly like a forgotten Madonna track. That's because it is -- Madge considered it for True Blue before passing it on to Kamen. She also sings backup on his 1988 track "Tell Me," although she didn't write that one.

Jose & Luis: "Queen's English" (1993)

Madonna contributed her only credited backing vocals on a record to Jose & Luis' dance single "Queen's English." It's safe to say she owed them a favor: Jose Gutierez (who appeared in the NYC ballroom underground doc Paris Is Burning) and Luis Camacho helped choreograph her iconic "Vogue" video. Both House of Xtravaganza dancers accompanied Madonna on the Blonde Ambition World Tour; she released "Queen's English" on her nascent Maverick label.

Donna de Lory: "Just a Dream" (1993)

From 1987-2007, Donna de Lory was one of Madonna's best and most recognizable backup singers. So when she made her eponymous debut album, Madonna offered Donna "Just a Dream," a song she'd co-written with Patrick Leonard for Like a Prayer. Madge's backup vocals can be heard on the top-notch final version -- and longtime Madonna fans will easily recognize de Lory's voice, even if they've never listened to her solo stuff.

Madonna's Backup Past: 5 Songs You Didn't Know She Sang On | Billboard

Still fighting for that No 1 in both the US and the UK.

If she gets it in the US, she will tie Beyoncé to have the most consecutive number one albums, with Music, American Life, Confessions On A Dancefloor, Hard Candy, MDNA all having hit No 1. The previous album, Ray of Light, was blocked from No 1 by the Titanic soundtrack despite breaking the biggest female opening sales record at the time (which was then quickly broken by Alanis Morissette's Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie and then eventually Britney Spears's Oops!...I Did It Again). Beyoncé's record was from her début, with Dangerously In Love, B'Day, I Am...Sasha Fierce, 4, and BEYONCÉ all hitting No 1.

This record is for both male and female acts.

Huge Carrie Follower
    how come gimme all your lovin become a US HOT 100 top 10 hit and living for love not even enter the US HOT 100 singles chart?

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Queen of Pop MADONNA sold 20,000 tickets in Paris within 5 minutes. In the same stadium, Lady Gaga only managed to move 13,000 tickets, Kylie Minogue didn't sell out, and the capacity was 15,000 at her time, and apparently Katy Perry only sold 6,000 tickets.

I prefer Kylie Minogue to Madonna... Kylie's singles since 2000 have been much better than Madonna's music released in the last 15 years...
    Kylie Minogue is one of the most underrated singers in the USA and in fact the second most successful female singer in the UK after Madonna in terms of single sales... Kylie's hit 'can't get you out of my head' is the most played song in the UK for the whole decade of 2000-2009...
    Kylie has a new song called 'right here right now' (a colloboration with Giorgio Moroder) just released by the way...

Quote Originally Posted by carrie admirer View Post
    how come gimme all your lovin become a US HOT 100 top 10 hit and living for love not even enter the US HOT 100 singles chart?
    Because:

1. pre-order sales for the album MDNA were counted as sales for 'Give Me All Your Luvin'', but Billboard has changed the rule now, so 'Living For Love' could only get charted based on sales from people who did not pre-order the album as well, ie only casual fanatics were counted - this was why Taylor Swift's countdown singles, 'Out of The Woods' and 'Welcome To New York', débuted low;
    2. the video premiered on Snapchat which did not report video views to Billboard, so it's like the disadvantage Carrie had with 'Little Toy Guns' on Facebook except it's worse as Snapchat is a much smaller video platform, on the contrary GMAYL's video premiered on American Idol and before the song was out;
    3. LFL, unlike GMAYL, did not receive a Clear Channel radio deal for three days, and it was already on sale for a month before it's even sent to radio;
    4. Queen of Pop MADONNA performed it on Superbowl to more than 100 million audience, not only was the Grammy awards with a much smaller audience, but it also only happened two months after LFL had been on sale;
    5. the Billboard Hot 100 at that time did not count streams which would've disadvantaged a veteran artist like MADONNA.

Should No 1 not happened, LFL would definitely have charted despite being released off-cycle (first week only had three days of sales counted) as it was Top 10 on iTunes, but GMAYL's advantage was mainly that everything happened at the same time initially, ie sales and radio peak aligned with very front-loaded sales. In fact, she would've gotten 10 entries on the Hot 100 by now had they not changed the rule, as initially five of the six songs released went Top 10 on iTunes (the sixth at No 11), and the three songs released after the Grammys occupied the Top 3 on iTunes.
    carrie admirer likes this.

I prefer Kylie Minogue to Madonna... Kylie's singles since 2000 have been much better than Madonna's music released in the last 15 years...
    Kylie Minogue is one of the most underrated singers in the USA and in fact the second most successful female singer in the UK after Madonna in terms of single sales... Kylie's hit 'can't get you out of my head' is the most played song in the UK for the whole decade of 2000-2009...
    Whether Kylie or Queen of Pop MADONNA is better in terms of the quality of their music is subjective, but you cannot pass your opinions as facts:

1. Kylie Minogue is NOT the second-most successful female artist in the UK after MADONNA in terms of single sales. Rihanna is No 2. MADONNA sold 17.6 million singles (No 4 overall), Ri sold 15.15 million singles (No 6 overall), and Kylie sold 10.1 million singles (No 11 overall). ABBA (No 9 overall), with two females in the group, also outsold Minogue. In fact, Minogue hasn't been popular in the UK: her last No 1 album was in 2010, and last No 1 single was from 2003; last Top 10 single was from 2008. Her latest single peaked at No 59 in the UK.

2. 'Can't Get You Out of My Head' was the most-played song in the UK in 2001 (the year it was released), NOT for the decade. Regardless, airplay is nowhere near as important as it is in the US.

I don't know where you got your 'facts' from, but now you can present the truths to people.

Queen of Pop MADONNA has once again débuted at No 1 down under.

With Rebel Heart becoming her eleventh number one album in Australia, she breaks the record to become the solo act with the most number one albums in the fourth biggest country in the world.

Her 30-year number one ride:
    1 True Blue
    2 I'm Breathless
    3 The Immaculate Collection
    4 Erotica
    5 Bedtime Stories
    6 Something To Remember
    7 Ray of Light
    8 Confessions on A Dance Floor
    9 Hard Candy
    10 MDNA
    11 Rebel Heart

Both Like A Prayer and Music peaked at No 2, American Life at No 3, and Like A Prayer at No 4.

---

Great news have emerged from the British Empire. Whilst it remains unsure if she or Sam Smith (who shamelessly made his current single the Comic Relief charity single) will be the number one album for the week, her appearance with the performances of 'GHOSTTOWN' and a remixed version of 'Living For Love' on Jonathan Ross's show has been very effective. RH has soared on iTunes, and her 25-year-old album The Immaculate Collection (1990), the second-biggest-selling album released by a female artist in the United Kingdom (behind only ADELE's 21), is now Top 10 on iTunes after just 2 hours.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Whether Kylie or Queen of Pop MADONNA is better in terms of the quality of their music is subjective, but you cannot pass your opinions as facts:

1. Kylie Minogue is NOT the second-most successful female artist in the UK after MADONNA in terms of single sales. Rihanna is No 2. MADONNA sold 17.6 million singles (No 4 overall), Ri sold 15.15 million singles (No 6 overall), and Kylie sold 10.1 million singles (No 11 overall). ABBA (No 9 overall), with two females in the group, also outsold Minogue. In fact, Minogue hasn't been popular in the UK: her last No 1 album was in 2010, and last No 1 single was from 2003; last Top 10 single was from 2008. Her latest single peaked at No 59 in the UK.

2. 'Can't Get You Out of My Head' was the most-played song in the UK in 2001 (the year it was released), NOT for the decade. Regardless, airplay is nowhere near as important as it is in the US.

I don't know where you got your 'facts' from, but now you can present the truths to people.

Can't get you out of my head IS the decade's (ie 2000-2009) most played song in the UK:
    BBC News - The Kylie hit you can't get out of your head
    Kylie hit decade's most played
    NME News Kylie Minogue's 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' named most-played track of the decade | NME.COM

And kylie is the third most succesful female artist in the UK in terms of single sales The Official Singles Charts' biggest selling artists of all time revealed! just behind Madonna (No1 female) and Rihanna (No2)... i am not counting ABBA cause they were a group... Atleast kylie did not depend on colloborations to sell her singles like overrated rihanna did (eg kanye west, paul mccartney, david guetta, micky ekko, jay-z, Drake , calvin harris, jeezy and sean paul....if we strictly count singles sales by female artists and exlcude their colloborations (ie include only solo singles sales) kylie might as well as be second and rihanna third terms of biggest single sales by female solo artists in the UK

Kylie also has the second most top ten singles (34 top 10 singles) in the UK right behind Madonna... Rihanna only has 26 top ten singles in the UK

Popularity is also judgemental:
    Madonna's first official single out of her latest album just picked at No 26 on the UK album chart while kylie's first official single from her latest Kiss me once album picked at No12 on the UK Singles chart last year
    Last edited by carrie admirer; 03-15-2015 at 03:48 AM.

[/B]

Can't get you out of my head IS the decade's (ie 2000-2009) most played song in the UK:
    BBC News - The Kylie hit you can't get out of your head
    Kylie hit decade's most played
    NME News Kylie Minogue's 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' named most-played track of the decade | NME.COM

And kylie is the third most succesful female artist in the UK in terms of single sales The Official Singles Charts' biggest selling artists of all time revealed! just behind Madonna (No1 female) and Rihanna (No2)... i am not counting ABBA cause they were a group... Atleast kylie did not depend on colloborations to sell her singles like overrated rihanna did (eg kanye west, paul mccartney, david guetta, micky ekko, jay-z, Drake , calvin harris, jeezy and sean paul....if we strictly count singles sales by female artists and exlcude their colloborations (ie include only solo singles sales) kylie might as well as be second and rihanna third terms of biggest single sales by female solo artists in the UK

Kylie also has the second most top ten singles (34 top 10 singles) in the UK right behind Madonna... Rihanna only has 26 top ten singles in the UK

Popularity is also judgemental:
    Madonna's first official single out of her latest album just picked at No 26 on the UK album chart while kylie's first official single from her latest Kiss me once album picked at No12 on the UK Singles chart last year
    Sorry, I stand corrected on that point. But you do realise it's not just about airplay in your links? You get paid royalties from all sorts of places, including whenever someone performs your song on television or whenever they use it as a background music or something.

I literally just said Minogue is No 3 behind Madonna and Rihanna and you said she was No 2. Your rationalisation on Rihanna's collaborations is odd. She's millions ahead of Minogue, so even without all her features when she's not the lead artists (ie 'Love The Way You Lie', 'Run This Town', 'Live Ur Life') she's still way above Minogue's sales. Mentioning David Guetta, Sir Paul McCartney, and Calvin Harris are problematic because they did not sing on the track. They were credited only as writers and/or producers. Let's not pretend Minogue self-wrote and produced all of her singles (nobody does). To say Ri 'depends' on collaboration is also untrue - do you honestly think 'Stay' was a hit because it featured Micky Ekko, a literally nobody?

'Living For Love' had an off-cycle release in the UK - the No 26 position registered only three days of sales. It actually hit No 1 on iTunes, an achievement Minogue's single never did.
    carrie admirer likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Your rationalisation on Rihanna's collaborations is odd. She's millions ahead of Minogue, so even without all her features when she's not the lead artists (ie 'Love The Way You Lie', 'Run This Town', 'Live Ur Life') she's still way above Minogue's sales. Mentioning David Guetta, Sir Paul McCartney, and Calvin Harris are problematic because they did not sing on the track. They were credited only as writers and/or producers.
    Having a big name like Paul McCartney, David Guetta and Calvin Harris (they all three have a huge worldwide fanbase) just being credited in her singles will:
    -- get her more single sales as many non-rihanna fans that are Paul McCartney fans, David Guetta or Calvin Harris fans will buy her singles.
    -- get her more airplay on radio stations (especially in the USA, single sales are highly affected by US radio airplay) even though they don't singwith her...

She also colloborated with Eminem twice... He also has a huge fanbase that will buy his beautiful monster and love the way you lie singles even though they are not necessarily Rihanna's fans

Do you think ''we found love'' would have spend so many weeks at No1 if calvin harris's name was not mentioned on that single?
    And her latest single, i think it would not have even entered the US top 10 (pop chart) airplay had it not been for Paul Mccartney's name being credited...

Also just like Beyonce, Rihanna keeps on experimenting on her music and genres but actually Beyonce is really talented and her music is more interesting (atleast to me) than Rihanna's and anything Beyonce records gets critical acclaim...

Huge Carrie Follower
    I really like House music and the genre of Madonna's LFL but it does not sound that good to my ears... Something seems wrong regarding her voice... Don't get me wrong i am also a Madonna fan, but her voice on her singles from the Ray of Light and Music albums sounded perfect...

I really like House music and the genre of Madonna's LFL but it does not sound that good to my ears... Something seems wrong regarding her voice... Don't get me wrong i am also a Madonna fan, but her voice on her singles from the Ray of Light and Music albums sounded perfect...
    She's old. Older people don't sound as good. Cher sounded horrible even in 'Believe' when she was only in her 40s.

Having a big name like Paul McCartney, David Guetta and Calvin Harris (they all three have a huge worldwide fanbase) just being credited in her singles will:
    -- get her more single sales as many non-rihanna fans that are Paul McCartney fans, David Guetta or Calvin Harris fans will buy her singles.
    -- get her more airplay on radio stations (especially in the USA, single sales are highly affected by US radio airplay) even though they don't singwith her...
    This is beyond laughable.

When was the last time Sir Paul has a solo hit himself? He's well-known and respected, but Beatles fanatics don't use his solo music, and he has got a tiny fanbase.

Rihanna is much bigger than David Guetta and Calvin Harris combined. Neither had ever had a decent opening week in sales for either their albums or singles, showing that they don't have a proper fanbase.

Rihanna's solo tracks are much stronger in both sales and airplay than any stuff Guetta or Harris has released without a big time attached to it. They were the beneficiaries, not her.

She also colloborated with Eminem twice... He also has a huge fanbase that will buy his beautiful monster and love the way you lie singles even though they are not necessarily Rihanna's fans
    I've already dealt with this - you can take away the singles she wasn't in the lead and she's still way ahead of Kylie Minogue in terms of single sales.

Do you think ''we found love'' would have spend so many weeks at No1 if calvin harris's name was not mentioned on that single?
    Yes. Nobody knew who Calvin Harris was when 'We Found Love' was released.

And her latest single, i think it would not have even entered the US top 10 (pop chart) airplay had it not been for Paul Mccartney's name being credited...
    You're REALLY delusional. Pop radio is very agest and Sir Paul is VERY old. Tagging him on to the track gave the track more attention but definitely not with more airplay. Not with him singing on it means he can't hurt it, but you cannot seriously think Sir Paul gave the track more spins when his last pop hit was like 50 years ago.

Also just like Beyonce, Rihanna keeps on experimenting on her music and genres but actually Beyonce is really talented and her music is more interesting (atleast to me) than Rihanna's and anything Beyonce records gets critical acclaim...
    On Metacritic, Rihanna got an averaged 67 scores whilst Beyoncé got 70. Let's not pretend it's that different.

•  
    Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast