Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By quincyeyes
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 4 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By DazzledByCarrie
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Pistol Annies fans 10 favorite songs.

Pistol Annies fans 10 favorite songs.

10 favorite songs from each cd. I miss their songs, becuase they sang about stuff not a lot people did in mainstream country like Hush Hush, Family Fued, Loved By A Workin Man, Unhappily Married ect. They are all making very good music solo. I suppose its not too bad.

Loved By A Workin Man
    I Feel A Sin Coming On
    Unhappily Married
    Trading One Heartbreak For Another
    Family Fued
    Dont Talk About Him Tina
    Beige
    Lemon Drop
    Being Pretty Aint Pretty
    Blues, You're A Buzz Kill
    quincyeyes likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower
    I love the Pistol Annies too and although I am a big fan of their individual albums they are in no way a replacement for a Pistol Annies album.

Here are my 10 favorite Pistol Annies songs in no particular order:
    Hush Hush
    Beige
    Lemon Drop
    The Hunter's Wife
    Loved By A Workin' Man
    Family Feud
    Blues, You're a Buzzkill
    Dear Sobriety
    Being Pretty Ain't Pretty
    Trading One Heartbreak For Another
    lizcarlo likes this.

They were one of the best groups in country genre. Their music was so good.
    quincyeyes likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Fans might like to know that the Pistol Annies made a surprise reunion appearance on stage in Augusta, GA yesterday. Miranda and Ashley are currently touring together - but Angaleena's guest appearance was apparently unannounced. I first heard of it when the bass player, Aden, tweeted about the Girl Power in Augusta, using the Pistol Annies hash tag, along with the names of the other ladies featured.

On this fan page (credit to Miranda Sassbert), you can see a short clip of them dancing together
    #roadsidebarsandpinkguitar #mirandalambert #countrymusic #country #concert #cert... | Iconosquare

(They do look happy together, and Angaleena has been quoted as saying "someday, we'll be Pistol Grannies together").
    lizcarlo and DazzledByCarrie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Fans might like to know that the Pistol Annies made a surprise reunion appearance on stage in Augusta, GA yesterday. Miranda and Ashley are currently touring together - but Angaleena's guest appearance was apparently unannounced. I first heard of it when the bass player, Aden, tweeted about the Girl Power in Augusta, using the Pistol Annies hash tag, along with the names of the other ladies featured.

On this fan page (credit to Miranda Sassbert), you can see a short clip of them dancing together
    #roadsidebarsandpinkguitar #mirandalambert #countrymusic #country #concert #cert... | Iconosquare

(They do look happy together, and Angaleena has been quoted as saying "someday, we'll be Pistol Grannies together").
    Do we know what exactly happened between them apart from wanting to focus on solo careers?

No - speculation was fuelled by the abrupt cancellation of a tour to promote the second album, "Annies Up". Miranda and Ashley fulfilled some of the tour dates, and the belief that Angaleena may have broken with the other two followed from fan tweets asking where she was, to which she replied that she was in Texas. It was followed by unconfirmed gossip from the mock-shock media suggesting that Angaleena had left after failing to persuade Miranda into giving her tour manager husband a more prominent role in decision making. Reports of tension were, however, denied, principally by Ashley who acted as spokesperson for the group. She said it was as simple as needing to concentrate on their solo albums.

Angaleena did not then have an album, but was working on songs, and has since produced (with her husband) the excellent independent release "American Middle Class". The other two, however, had major label contracts. Ashley is with the Warner Brothers group - who left the critically acclaimed "Like A Rose" without any discernible promotion to Country radio, leaving personal appearances and media self promotion as virtually the only option. Miranda and the Pistol Annies are both on different imprints within the Sony Group. Sony's promotion of "Platinum" has been uneven and haphazard, and its expected release had already been delayed by several months. I suspect that they may have seen the Pistol Annies as more of a distraction, that could probably get the attention it did without active promotion. Although that is also unconfirmed, I suspect that they may have wanted Miranda to concentrate on "Platinum", especially as their strategy often tends to be to concentrate on a couple of more radio-friendly releases to maintain commercial relevance, while seeming to devote little to pushing later album tracks to a strong radio run. If so, the two may have genuinely had little choice but to have concentrated on personal appearances to promote their solo albums - leaving Angaleena (who had probably had the largest input into the second album), at that stage, as the one with little else to promote.

I suspect, though, that tension (if it existed) was exaggerated by gossip, and relatively short-lived, and that the label situation largely created the need to concentrate on the main solo career paths. There have been earlier rumours that a reunion for further work is possible - and I hope that will happen. The project is unique at this level in the Mainstream - not just because it is songwriter-led, but also because the three take turns at lead vocals on different songs, and even sing alternating verses within some of the songs. In my view it's too interesting, and too much of a break from the established album route to just let slip away.

As well as Bob Harris asking Miranda about a PA reunion during the pre-concert coverage at C2C this evening (March 11th), Ashley and Miranda each mentioned it separately during their press conferences earlier in the day. (Nothing definite, but Miranda's mention of a plan sounded quite promising)

Ashley: When asked if she might be reuniting with the Pistol Annies, Ashley teased, ‘We never really separated but we did have a slumber party the other day. We don’t have plans but I feel it’s probably coming back around.’

Miranda: Lambert said, ‘We’ve been cooking up a plan with my manager. We started that band to have another creative outlet and just have fun…we’re starting to feel the pull so hopefully soon.’

(Source: Entertainment Focus)
    lizcarlo and DazzledByCarrie like this.

Junior Carrie Follower DazzledByCarrie's Avatar
    I hope they really do release another album. They are a really unique group and I wish they would get more attention.

I'm going to add my list of 10 to this. There were a couple I came really close to putting on the list, but here's what I ended up with:

Beige
    Takin' Pills
    Boys From the South
    I Feel A Sin Comin' On
    Hush Hush
    Unhappily Married
    Blues, You're A Buzzkill
    Don't Talk About Him, Tina
    Dear Sobriety
    I Hope You're the End of My Story
    lizcarlo likes this.

The Pistol Annies were back on form last night at Miranda's concert in Arkansas. I think this confirms the impression we had in England that they are not going away, and that they will find opportunities to fit the project into their other career demands. This is a fan video of their performance yesterday of "Taking Pills"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt3iLQlgoW0

Awesome. I'm happy they have not given up all together. Their music is just amazing.

This is the biggest hint yet that a new album may be on the way!

There've been recent reports that Miranda has been writing new material - and she posted today about singing in the shower - coupled with a reference to writing. Most intriguing were the hash tags (which she uses freely, often leaving the meaning undeveloped)
    #andsoitbegins #music #maybepistolannies #songstarts #acoustics

Also, she included the names Ashley Monroe, Angaleena Presley and Pistol Annies in the post.
    lizcarlo likes this.

There've been recent reports that Miranda has been writing new material - and she posted today about singing in the shower - coupled with a reference to writing. Most intriguing were the hash tags (which she uses freely, often leaving the meaning undeveloped)

Also, she included the names Ashley Monroe, Angaleena Presley and Pistol Annies in the post.
    YES! Thrilled to hear about this.

I don't think I was aware of this thread earlier so keeping with the title, here are some of my favourites from the Annies:

- Boys From The South (probably one of their more commercial sounding songs but nonetheless lovely)
    - Damn Thing (the cynicism yet carefree-ingly giving up is amusing; love the instrumentation and Miranda's extreme twang)
    - Housewife's Prayer (the dark portrayal of a woman in depression and on the verge of suicide is rare in country music today)
    - Hush Hush (I think the punctuation of the words, their pacing and the melody created within the pronunciation of the words is punchy and on point)
    - Unhappily Married (the lack of music in the verses and sudden drums in the chorus makes for a unique structure along with a narrative for each woman)
    - Takin' Pills
    - Blues, You're a Buzzkill
    - Dear Sobriety

Please let this be true! .. Pistol Annies is so amazing.

Further confirmation that they are getting ready came with a photo this week of them doing ballet exercises together.

Samantha Stephens, of CMT, has put together a detailed feature article, with retrospective photos from several of their earlier songs. While she says there is no official label confirmation yet, she also agrees that it looks as if an album is coming

Pistol Annies Get a ?Leg Up? on a Reunion | CMT

(The large picture at the top is from 2012. when they attended the Hunger Games premiere. The Tulsa Time picture lower down is from last year, when they recorded a Don Williams tribute. The ballet gif below the heading is from this week)
    lizcarlo likes this.

There've been more pictures of them relaxing round a pool in a woodland setting (presumably on Miranda's rural retreat in Tennessee).

There's also a podcast for Sirius that Angaleena has made with Country Music writer Robert Oermann, which can be heard at this link, until the end of this month
    https://radio.foxnews.com/2018/05/21...ood-girl-down/

The podcast contains interesting details about writing with Loretta Lynn, Guy Clark, & Wanda Jackson (for Angaleena's solo work), the ongoing and still unresolved issues for women in the Country sector, growing up in Eastern Kentucky, the drug scourge in small trural owns, etc. Her session with Guy Clark - the arch perfectionist - was interesting, because it proved to be the last known co-writing before his death; and Wanda's because of the natural unassuming attitude of Oklahoma artists, and her determination to go on writing, despite her fall (it wasn't as serious as Carrie's, but remember she is a much older lady now).

Angaleena is a pleasant, natural broadcaster, and she sings snippets of her solo songs throughout the podcast

There is an early mention of the founding of the Pistol Annies - which came at a time when Angaleena was desperate about not making it in music, and considered burning her house down for insurance (which persuaded Miranda to bring her on board!). However you have to wait to the very end to get more recent info on what they're doing - and as the broadcast takes almost an hour, I'll summarize that part:

Oermann : Initially I thought it was going to be a one off deal ... are you still as tight with each other as you were in the beginning?

Angaleena : Even more now, because we've been through so much together - between the three of us, we've got two ex-husbands, two husbands, and.. (breaks off laughing). We've kind of grown up together in the last few years. Honstly, I thought it was going to be a one-off too. I you'd asked me back in the day, I'd have been like 'whatever happens, happens'. But it was always so real - I mean, we kind of snuck and made the record - we weren't signed on a label - everything we did was so unorthodox.

But it was for the right reasons! It was for the music!

It was - and when the three of us get together - we were writing at Miranda's farm the other day, and I was like 'I hate you girls so much, I just don't want to write with anyone else!' I think we wrote eight songs in two days.

Wow!

It's like you couldn't create it in a lab - it's other-worldly, the chemistry that we have - and it just won't die! I want to knock on wood - but I don't know if I need to or not, as we just write so easily together - It's like I'm an extension of them, and they're a extension of me. And it's such a blessing in my life. We didn't really have plans to make a new record, but the music presents itself, and it's like we have all these songs that we didn't mean to write - we don't say 'let's get our guitars and have a writing appointment' It's more 'let's open a bottle of wine and gripe about our husbands' - and the next thing you know, there's a song!

The producer concluded by asking her to play a snippet of one of the new PA songs, but she said she couldn't do that without checking with the other girls. She did say that a couple of them were 'freaking hilarious' and would cause belly-laughs, and others showed plenty of 'sass' and were more 'grown up', as they'd 'been through some 'serious stuff' since the earlier albums.

In an interview for the Recording Academy (i e Grammys), Ashley has confirmed that they will be heading into the studio next month to begin recording work on the new album.

"Angaleena, Miranda and I are the most real and honest versions of ourselves as human beings when we're around each other," says Monroe. "It's crazy how fast the walls fall. That's why I think that we can write from our true selves. We all have that input in every single song. I feel like this album will be definitely a more grown-up version, cause we've grown up a lot since our last one. That's [not] to say there's not still humor and all that stuff. There's heavy topics too, but these are hands-down the favorite songs we've ever written."

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/...ol-annies-more
    lizcarlo likes this.

In an interview for the Recording Academy (i e Grammys), Ashley has confirmed that they will be heading into the studio next month to begin recording work on the new album.

"Angaleena, Miranda and I are the most real and honest versions of ourselves as human beings when we're around each other," says Monroe. "It's crazy how fast the walls fall. That's why I think that we can write from our true selves. We all have that input in every single song. I feel like this album will be definitely a more grown-up version, cause we've grown up a lot since our last one. That's [not] to say there's not still humor and all that stuff. There's heavy topics too, but these are hands-down the favorite songs we've ever written."

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/...ol-annies-more

•