• 3 Post By Claire2004
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By rainbow1
  • 4 Post By bubbasumner
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Kizmet311
  • 2 Post By abbeyjones18

Thread: Jason Aldean - "Old Boots, New Dirt" era (and general discussion)

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Jason Aldean - "Old Boots, New Dirt" era (and general discussion)

(Further to a couple of posts in the Greatest Hits thread, requesting a conversation on this topic elsewhere, I thought I might be able to help by quoting Patrick's original post here)

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I am somewhat torn in the BS JA debate. (not that there is one, ha ha ha....). JA is just a solid country singer who delivers good music to a genre much in need of it. I have nothing against him. (My biggest issue is comparing any of these people to Carrie having never been even nominated for an Entertainer award but all these others have multiple times... but I digress...)

But if I am judging characters against eachother I can see how and why Blake ends up appearing more charismatic, good looking, better singer, just more engaged.....
    The question becomes: what and why do you listen to country music and who is delivering the goods. I thing JA wins hands down. I am not into his music but I don't have to be to get that he is creating authentic music that he feels good about. And I respect that as a musician. I don't get that vib from Blake at all. Blake has become a Hollywood celebrity whos every decision seems to be based on popularity. Some of you think he is the real deal cause he curses and drinks, and disrespects his wife publically while she sits and listens, but honestly, as a country recording artist, I think he is delivering fodder for the machine. I don't think he is doing anything remotely artistic. At least JA still is....... So where I don't get into him, and I am not a fan of Entertainer of the Year standing like a stick and getting handed awards for it, I way understand why many feel he is more deserving than Blake. It just depends on perspective. What do you want your country singer to be??

Sorry, but to me, Blake is a sell out. Not because he endorses Pizzas and grins for the camera on a reality show. But because in his own private time, when he is supposed to be creating artistic music to be proud of, he delivers crap on a cracker and expects the world to eat it up!!!

I don't think so..........
    Jason Aldean's new album was, coincidentally released today. This is the track list.

1. "Just Gettin' Started" Chris DeStefano, Rhett Akins, Ashley Gorley 3:15
    2. "Show You Off" Neil Thrasher, Tony Martin, Brett Beavers 3:08
    3. "Burnin' It Down" Rodney Clawson, Chris Tompkins, Tyler Hubbard, Brian Kelley 3:39
    4. "Tryin' to Love Me" Thrasher, Wendell Mobley, Hillary Lindsey 3:45
    5. "Sweet Little Somethin'" David Lee Murphy, Hayslip, Marv Green 3:24
    6. "Laid Back" Michael Tyler Spragg, Jaron Boyer, Adam Shoenfeld 3:04
    7. "Tonight Looks Good on You" Akins, Gorley, Dallas Davidson 3:51
    8. "Too Fast" Chris Stapleton, Lee Thomas Miller 3:22
    9. "If My Truck Could Talk" Mobley, Thrasher, Andrew Pates 3:30
    10. "Old Boots, New Dirt" Thrasher, Miller, Tom Shapiro 2:53
    11. "I Took It with Me" Murphy, Hayslip 3:02
    12. "Don't Change Gone" Thrasher, Mobley, Martin 2:56
    13. "Miss That Girl" Murphy, Ross Copperman 2:55
    14. "Gonna Know We Were Here" Beavers, Brett James 3:44
    15. "Two Night Town" James, Tim Nichols 3:20

Others may find it fully fits your description of his work as a solid Country singer - and I do support his absolute right to fulfill his own view of the music that he wants to perform - but to my off-Mainstream taste, I find his tendency to incorporate influences from Pop and anthemic arena Rock goes too far to have much appeal.
    I've only played through the Amazon sample clips - but I'm afraid, speaking personally, I only found two that struck me as interesting enough to give a full hearing to, "Don't Change Gone" and "Two Night Town". Of those, I much preferred the second - and, if he had more work like this, I'd probably agree with your assessment

(That song is by Brett James, who recently co-wrote "Something in the Water" - among others of Carrie's - and Tim Nicholls, who co-wrote one of Carrie's early pre-Idol covers, Jo Dee Messina's "Heads Carolina, Tails California", as well as being a Grammy winner for "Live Like You Were Dying")

Concert Stars
    Look, no co-writes. He is not a true country artist.
    Why is it acceptable for male country artist to just sing a good song but a female arists must write her own material in order to be considered true country... I hate these country music's BS

Thanks for this new thread, Farawayhills. I saw this article per Windmills' tweet, and I don't know if the CMA. thread is the appropriate one for this since it's not Carrie-related.

Look especially into Jason's comments about the CMA snubs. Quite controversial comment regarding the EOTY nominees. He's burning bridges here IMO.

Jason Aldean looks to stomp out gossip with 'Old Boots'
    rainbow1, bluetb4 and Farawayhills like this.

There's been discussion (including an article in the Tennessean) speculating on whether Aldean's lack of nominations at the current CMA awards is a spin off from an earlier tabloid report of a bar room scandal, followed by a divorce (initiated by Aldean himself, and probably affected by wider personal issues than the scandal alone). Aldean says that all the parties involved have since moved on, and put that issue behind them. The Tennessean and those interviewed could not rule out that the incident may have had some impact on some voters - but felt there were likely to be other factors.

Jason's lead single has, in fact, been out since July - and if you listen to it, it seems to my mind very Pop leaning. Again, I would stress that Jason is fully entitled - and perhaps to be applauded - for experimenting in any way he feels moved to. But, musically, this strikes me as far closer to electro dance music than to Country - and that may also have struck many voters. The CMA voting pool is very diverse. It includes a significant business interest (that may be swayed by what sells well with the public), and a radio interest (that may be swayed by what draws listeners and advertising to their stations. But it also includes a significant range of interests, including session musicians, songwriters, technical staff and critical writers - some of whom feel a strong interest in preserving the identity of Country Music. Taking the awards in historic perspective, this interest has sometimes resulted in penalizing artists who are felt to have gone too far away from Country Music - and Aldean would certainly not be the first to lose out on nominations in that way.

rainbow1 likes this.

Although it may seem a bit awkward to conflate Blake Shelton into the thread - Patrick's quote did involve him too. On Blake, I find myself in some difficulty. He's Miranda's husband - and I want to like him, for her sake. But I also find his work often too bland and too Mainstream to justify his leading role in the format. Also his attitude - repeated more than once - that his awards and popularity give him a special right to make pronouncements about the future of the format, irritates me, and sometimes seems disparaging to Roots artists, To be fair, he is supportive of Miranda's Roots-leaning friends - and I do find myself liking him more than some of the Dirt Road Party boys.
    But then I see videos like this - and I can't help feeling uneasy..

rainbow1, bluetb4 and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    I read all of Windmills tweets about Jason today. Don't think he did himself any good, asking if there was a moral clause now! Like you say, Faraway, there's probably more to it than that.

Junior Carrie Follower
    I've been waiting to be able to fully articulate my thoughts on the JA BS debate. I have to say I'm really shocked that so many people are going with JA. Let alone saying he is putting out music that's good for the country genre. Keep in mind I am a fan of his early albums up until Night Train. I didn't buy it and I won't be buying this new album. For the debate I have to pick Blake because even though he is over awarded and he has sold out single wise he can actually sing live and has a deep understanding of the country genre. It's actually not even a close contest.

When I see Jason Aldean whining that the reason he isn't nominated for ETOTY is because of controversy and blah blah blah I get livid. It comes with being famous these days. He should be glad he actually has a reason to be snubbed. He chose to cheat. There are people like Carrie who can't get a nomination because she is a female. Now that's somethinn to get mad and complain about. He is a big baby. He should count his lucky stars that he is a guy because look what happen with Leann Rimes. Radio doesn't even play her because of her cheating scandal. How is that fair at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    Look, no co-writes. He is not a true country artist.
    Why is it acceptable for male country artist to just sing a good song but a female arists must write her own material in order to be considered true country... I hate these country music's BS
    Reba McEntire and Faith Hill are successful examples of Mainstream stars who seldom wrote, and Martina McBride has only recently developed much in that direction. Mainstream Country has generally worked well on a collaborative basis between writers and performers.

Carrie and Miranda are proud of their songwriting. Miranda had an early start, coached by her father. Carrie made a point of mixing with songwriters, learning from them and taking an increasing role herself. I'm pretty sure that neither of them write because they feel they "must" - I think they genuinely like it and want others to appreciate that side of their work. It gives them a more personal input into their work. It's significant that much of Carrie's own writing has been in two areas that she's adopted as a personal lead element in her work - spiritual songs and "done-me-wrong" songs. Both of these are themes that have deep roots in Country. Similarly, Miranda concentrates much of her writing on psychological studies of women in angst, and criticism of small town life styles - again areas that are personal to her view of Country music. But both of them also make extensive use of songs picked from other writers. It's not, in any sense, an obligation - but it does link them more to the ethos of Roots Country than was true of many of the women of the era they replaced.

My point about Jason Aldean, though, was that in many ways he strikes me as less closely committed to Country Music. He is still very popular with fans - but seems to losing traction with some interests within the format itself.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I have really liked/loved some of Jason's music in the past. I even love Dirt Road Anthem, with it's country rap. I know a lot of people who still like him (his sales obviously show that) even after the scandal. But this wasn't an, oops, I was cuddly with a girl at a bar and regret it. He has divorced his wife and is now marrying the girl from said scandal. He is saying he is happier than he has ever been (I'm sure his ex-wife and kids love to hear that). He basically left the woman who was with him when he was nobody for a younger, blonder, more attractive woman. He's a scumbag, although I will admit that I do kind of like Burnin' It Down. Perhaps I will use Spotify to listen to the new album, but I doubt I will buy it.
    Carrieroxmysox2011 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Thanks Faraway, appreciate you getting this started!!

You know, again and I go to this a lot, I ask myself about "intent". What does this person truly intend to do and am I interested in that or do I respect it. Trust me, I have issues with JA! Both professionally, and personally. But do I trust him as an artist? I have to say I do. You guys talk about him crossing that line of influnces in other music. I think that is such a trend today that it becomes hard to judge one guy against another. They are all doing it, the question for me becomes, are they doing for the right reasons. Now follow me; If Tim McGraw is going to use Taylor in a song, do I think that is a genuine artistic choice or a gimmick to sell product. Well, for me the choice is obvious. Do I think that JA is using rap influences to create a certain sound in his artistic expression and growth, or do I think he is doing it to sell records. I have to be honest and say I think he does it cause it creates the sound he is looking for to express his art. And I do respect that more than sticking Taylor Swift into a 40 yr old mans song about being obsessed with her!
    I ask myself the same hard questions about FGL/Carrie Underwood/Miranda L./LBT/LA/ (I barely know enough of the males in the genre to even list them, ha hah a)
    And when I ask those questions about Blake, I am conflicted a great deal. Maybe he has just gotten off track with his music, maybe he is the loyalist he proclaims to be, and actually I believe he is. But do I believe he is creating art and being an "Artist"?? No, I don't! I think he is being a Star and a celebrity. And I think he is acting like the big brother in a family of a lot of kids who thinks he has been garnered the right to be a bully and a tyrant! Not that Blake is a tyrant but I think he is expressing himself as if he has some entitlement to everything that is happening to him. And I have a serious problem with that. Especially when I don't think he is actually putting out the goods.

I do think JA misspoke about being left out for "moral" reasons. Please dude! Its worse than that! They left you out for much bigger reasons then that!!
    But at the end of the day, and this is coming from someone who does not know both mans work all that well. I "feel" like JA is brining in influences that will enhance his work and make it more interesting and progressive and satisfying. And I think Balke is just phoning in a lot of country clichés that come from someone who know well how to do that and still come across "authentic".

And then in general I think so much of the music that is coming out of country music is just being churned out by the machine and intentionally uses pop and rap and hip hop influences to try to appear "cool". And I think a lot of it comes from the Taylor/FGL whirlwind that caused such a change and flux in the way that country industry saw the opportunity for success in an industry that could very well have been dying at this point if they did not find a way to stay relevant.

It's one thing to be disappointed in nominations that he didn't get, but, it's another thing to say that other artists got nominations that they didn't deserve. I think that Jason needs to stop talking and focus on his music.

•