• 2 Post By quincyeyes
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By lizcarlo

Thread: Angaleena Presley - "American Middle Class" era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Angaleena Presley - "American Middle Class" era

I'm really looking forward to this one - if the rest of the tracks are anything like the one I heard on the BBC yesterday ("Dry County Blues"), it could be shaping up to be one of my personal albums of the year!

The album will be called "American Middle Class" and will be released on Oct 14th. Angaleena has written or co-written all the songs, and she has produced the album herself, jointly with her husband.

There is a great line-up of musicians, including Texas songwriter, Keith Gattis; Fred Eltringham and Audley Freed, who toured with the Dixie Chicks for their last album, and with the Court Yard Hounds for their debut.; and Aden Bubeck, who is Miranda Lambert's bass player.

Apparently, Patty Loveless (who met Angaleena when she attended a Pistol Annies' concert in Atlanta) wiil guest on the title track.

Here's a video in which Angaleena talks about the making of the album:

lizcarlo and opry051008 like this.

I am on my phone for internet. I cannot watch the video becuase it takes a lot of internet on my phone. I have already watched some videos. I am still excited. I really liked the songs she wrote, especially the ones she wrote by herself with Pistol Annies, and the video you posted. She is very good at writing about country life you dont hear too much about these days. Is it going to be released to Wal Mart or will I have to order it? I will order it if they are not going to release it to Wal Mart. I'd rather get the cd at Wal Mart rather than wait I have been wanting cd from her especially since Pistol Annies broke up. I am grateful for the group though. I like PA music a lot. I discovered Ashley and Angaleena through the group. I am so excited. Angaleena releasing music is like icing on top the cake for me. I have wanted her to release music of her own so bad. Thanks so much for posting.

The album is available for "First Listen" on NPR at this address (probably only until the release date, on Tuesday)

First Listen: Angaleena Presley, 'American Middle Class' : NPR

You can also hear a radio interview, in which Angaleena talks about her inspiration and songwriting, here:

Angaleena Presley And The Country Song As Documentary : NPR

An intelligent, emotional and often hard-hitting series of portraits of small town life and problems - this is a strong example of contemporary Country songwriting at its best, backed up by some varied and striking music. Highly recommended.

(I miss the Pistol Annies too - but all three are producing strong solo albums. We had to wait for Angaleena, but it was certainly worth it!)

Thanks

Ashley released very good album. It sounds like Angaalena album is going to be really good as well.

This is the tracklist, with the writers

1. “Ain’t No Man,” written by Angaleena Presley
    2. “All I Ever Wanted,” written by Angaleena Presely
    3. “Grocery Store,” written by Angaleena Presley and Lori McKenna
    4. “American Middle Class,” written by Angaleena Presley
    5. “Dry County Blues,” written by Angaleena Presley and Mark D. Sanders
    6. “Pain Pills” written by Angaleena Presley
    7. “Life of the Party,” written by Angaleena Presley and Matraca Berg
    8. “Knocked Up,” written by Angaleena Presley and Mark D. Sanders
    9. “Better Off Red,” written by Angaleena Presley
    10. “Drunk,” written by Angaleena Presley and Sarah Siskind
    11. “Blessing and a Curse,” written by Angaleena Presley and Bob DiPiero
    12. “Surrender,” written by Luke Laird, Barry Dean, and Angaleena Presley

Lori McKenna and Matraca Berg are two of the best female writers in the genre. Interesting, too, that she has one co-write with Luke Laird - Luke has collaborated with many of the "new wave" of female singer-songwriters of the last decade, including Carrie, Miranda, and Kacey.

Among other singers providing support vocals are Chris Stapleton, formerly of the Steeldrivers, and Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls.

Angaleena's CD is being released by Texas indwpendent label, Slate Creek Records, who also released Brandy Clark's acclaimed album, "12 Stories", last year, and are currently handling the Canadian band, Brothers Landreth, who have been strongly promoted by Bob Harris on his Country show.
    At present, Amazon don't seem to have the digital tracks for sale in the UK - though that may change soon, as I understand that the well-known Roots Country aggregator, Thirty Tigers, may be distributing it.

Hopefully you can buy it. Lori McKenna is a great writer. I discovered her on accident. I have been fan of her music since I heard this song on You Tube.

This is one of my favorite songs. Its awesome Angeelena is working with her. I don't know who Matraca Berg or the other writers are besides Luke Larid of course. Ill have to check them out. I listen to music a lot. I like discovering new writers, singer ect.

American Middle Class is great CD.
    My favorites are
    Grocery Store
    Dry Country Blues
    American Middle Class
    Better Off Red
    Blessing And A Curse
    Surrender

I downloaded her cd. American Middle Class is great CD.
    My favorites are
    Grocery Store
    Dry Country Blues
    American Middle Class
    Better Off Red
    Blessing And A Curse
    Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    Hopefully you can buy it. Lori McKenna is a great writer. I discovered her on accident. I have been fan of her music since I heard this song on You Tube.

This is one of my favorite songs. Its awesome Angeelena is working with her. I don't know who Matraca Berg or the other writers are besides Luke Larid of course. Ill have to check them out. I listen to music a lot. I like discovering new writers, singer ect.
    If you get the chance, try to listen to Matraca Berg's album "The Dreaming Fields" (which I think came out about three years ago). It's the sort of material I think you might like. Some of the songs actually have themes that have similar inspiration to some of Carrie's (though the style is more towards the Roots side). For example, "South of Heaven, North of Hell" has a rather similar theme to JAD (though written from a mother's point of view); "Your Husband Is Cheating On Us" has similarities to TBC (though they don't kill him); and "Oh Cumberland" includes a baptism ('knee deep in salvation, that old muddy water that once washed me clean'), though the baptism is a smaller part of the whole song than it is in SITW.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    If you get the chance, try to listen to Matraca Berg's album "The Dreaming Fields" (which I think came out about three years ago). It's the sort of material I think you might like. Some of the songs actually have themes that have similar inspiration to some of Carrie's (though the style is more towards the Roots side). For example, "South of Heaven, North of Hell" has a rather similar theme to JAD (though written from a mother's point of view); "Your Husband Is Cheating On Us" has similarities to TBC (though they don't kill him); and "Oh Cumberland" includes a baptism ('knee deep in salvation, that old muddy water that once washed me clean'), though the baptism is a smaller part of the whole song than it is in SITW.
    Thanks for recommendation. I'll defiantly check her out. I like roots so that's no problem. In fact I really enjoy all country styles except bro country. Country is one of my favorite genres.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Huge Carrie Follower quincyeyes's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    This is a very good album. It wasn't quite what I was expecting after listening to the songs she wrote for Pistol Annies but it is still a great record. It's darker than her Pistol Annies songs. One thing is for sure though. This girl is an excellent songwriter. I love Ashley Monroe too. I love both her albums and am hoping for a third. I love Miranda's albums too. I am so happy that all three put out very good solo material but it is not a substitute for a Pistol Annies album. The flavor on their Pistol Annies albums is just different and just great. I hear they broke up but then read Angaleena Presley's interviews promoting American Middle Class and it seems to suggest they will do something again in the future. I need all three ladies as solo artists and I also need the Pistol Annies. What a talented group of girls.
    CALEBJOE and Farawayhills like this.

Huge Carrie Follower quincyeyes's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Thank you for this recommendation. It sounds wonderful. I'm going to check it out from Hoopla now and if I like it then buy it. I'm always looking for good country albums. I've been on a rampage over the last 6 months and have probably gotten about 400 songs on I don't even know how many albums.
    lizcarlo and Farawayhills like this.

Quote Originally Posted by quincyeyes View Post
    This is a very good album. It wasn't quite what I was expecting after listening to the songs she wrote for Pistol Annies but it is still a great record. It's darker than her Pistol Annies songs. One thing is for sure though. This girl is an excellent songwriter. I love Ashley Monroe too. I love both her albums and am hoping for a third. I love Miranda's albums too. I am so happy that all three put out very good solo material but it is not a substitute for a Pistol Annies album. The flavor on their Pistol Annies albums is just different and just great. I hear they broke up but then read Angaleena Presley's interviews promoting American Middle Class and it seems to suggest they will do something again in the future. I need all three ladies as solo artists and I also need the Pistol Annies. What a talented group of girls.
    Everything you said is the truth. All three are so talented. AMC by Angeelina is so good. Ashley and Miranda is awesome as well. The Pistol Annie's were great group that told both sides of life. Like for example Loved By A Workin Man and Unhapply Married. I hope they make music again. I imagine they might have wanted solo career. Anyway they all rock
    Farawayhills likes this.

Thanks for recommendation of that cd. It's very good. She is awesome herself.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quincyeyes View Post
    I agree very much with this.

The Pistol Annies were unique, in my experience, in Mainstream Country, in that it was a songwriter project, in which all three not only wrote, but also all sang, often with alternating verses in the same song.

As a trio, comparisons with the Dixie Chicks are inevitable - and all three are DC followers (Angaleena made two or three references to their lyrics in her recent interviews, Ashley was recently photographed with Emily and Martie, with hints that they'd collaborated on a song, and Miranda is one of their staunchest long-term followers, recently including their feather boa fan mascot in her Automatic video, and currently singing one of their songs in her concert encores.) But there are also significant differences - all three PAs take alternating leads, whereas two of the DCs only sang harmonies - and two of the DCs were multi-instrumentalists (which was a major element in their sound), whereas the PAs are primarily singers. So the comparisons are mainly in the area of thematic attitude and Roots loyalty. In short, the PAs were a pretty unique experiment in today's chart radio landscape. It's understandable that Sony, and perhaps Warner Brothers, would want their artists to concentrate on their solo albums - but it is a considerable achievement that the project got launched in a Mainstream context at all. I really hope they do get together again soon.
    lizcarlo likes this.

^^ I hope they get back together. I loved "Loved By A Workin' Man" . That song describes so many men I know. Loved the blusey Pistol Annies like in their songs I Fell A Sin Coming On. A lot of their songs are just so honest certain subjects like Unhappily Married, Family Fued, Lemon Drop, Hush Hush ect.
    Farawayhills likes this.

•