• 3 Post By liz278
  • 8 Post By maddkat
  • 1 Post By Kizmet311
  • 1 Post By lolita55
  • 1 Post By Kizmet311

Thread: Question To This Board

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Question To This Board

What a great question! I really felt that this deserved it's very own thread! Let's give Farawayhills our full attention! (As a mod I felt this was a brilliant post and wanted as many members as possible to read this very important question) Thread created by Cassie2/Cathie

That's OK, Jules - I don't think you needed to apologize, but thanks anyway (smiley)
    "Celebrity" mags (and presumably many of their readers) thrive on this kind of thing - feuding celebrities beat feuding banjos any day! lol

But I have a question - addressed to the Board in general...

First, a quote from Rolling Stone (thanks to AbbeyJones for alerting us to it)

"Swift's last album, 2012's Red, straddled the line between country and pop. "But at a certain point," she says, "if you chase two rabbits, you lose them both." So this time, she set out to do full-on "blatant pop music." A casual fan won't notice much difference, but to Swift and her brand, it's a big step. She says she won't be going to country-awards shows or promoting the album on country radio. When she first turned in the record, she says the head of her label, Scott Borchetta, told her, "This is extraordinary – it's the best album you've ever done. Can you just give me three country songs?" "Love you, mean it," is how Swift characterizes her response. "But this is how it's going to be."
    Cover Story: The Reinvention of Taylor Swift | Rolling Stone

So my question is - if Taylor Swift has left the Heartworn Highway for Pastures Pop - is she still going to be the second most talked about person on this site?

I mean, her song choices are totally different from Carrie's, she doesn't sing like Carrie, her attitude to Country music is diametrically opposed to Carrie's, her career base is now admitted to be different from Carrie's, she won't be going to Carrie's shows, nor pitching to Carrie's radio format.

Will she become, on this board, like Rihanna, Beyonce, Mary J Blige, Barbara Streisand, or a host of other unrelated singers - more an occasional mention than a perpetual obsession? Or will we still meet her in so many threads, on so many pages, in so many similar posts (And if so - why? For old times sake? lol)
    Last edited by cassie2; 09-09-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Concert Stars
    That's a pretty easy one for me. I do tend to swing at things dangled in front of me. Therefore, since Taylor will not be a fly in my ointment anymore it is very likely I will quickly lose interest even as a passing interest comparing her to Carrie.

Because her focus will be pop radio and I don't listen to pop radio its just not that likely I will be able to sustain my line of interest. And since she no longer has any association to Carrie at all I think the food for thought will run dry.

I will admit aside from a passing interest in certain songs, my main attention toward Taylor has always been related to peoples commitment to her as a premier Country female artist, and since that seems to be severed as of late, I really don't see what there is left to talk about. Especially considering I don't like most of the choices she is suddenly making.

But to be fair to those of us who do perpetually bring her and Miranda up, you have to keep in mind that both women are in the middle of new music eras. And talking about them is exactly what they want people to do......So it doesn't really hurt anything.
    If Carrie would just put out some music!!! ha ha ha.... I thnk it is safe to assume we will go right back to that,

And finally both women have always been perceived as a threat to Carries security and longevity. Eliminating Taylor is going to change that dramatically.

So yes, I think it is going to just naturally die off like it always does when she is not a highlight in news.

(But I warn you, just because you and Taylor have decided she has left country, if you listen to any country radio station you certainly wouldn't know it. So I wouldn't expect the cut off for quite a while. The minute a tour is announced it will be all you hear all over country radio all over again. So keeping her out of the conversation in country music will not be easy still for a while. Though I do firmly believe now, it is what she wants)

Concert Stars
    I hope we can leave her on some dusty country road. She does not belong on this board, IMO.

Concert Stars
    I really hope we are done with TS. Now that she is a pop star and is not involved in country music anymore, can we please leave her alone? I rarely visit the thread and it is disconcerting to see her as one of the most popular threads here.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Since there's a whole thread now dedicated to whether she'll be talked about I guess she will be.
    I personally try to never think about her much less talk about her. I have no interest what so ever.

If we, me as well as others, don't want her talked about all the time maybe we could start by closing this thread. :-)

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Why did Taylor get a CMA nomination?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    Why did Taylor get a CMA nomination?
    the voting was done before probably she announced her new album and it being full pop, so she still got a Female nomination because of Red and that it was on country radio and her tour ended this year

Her new album hasn't appeared yet. She would have been nominated on the previous year - "Red" was released as an album by a Country artist, and had singles played on Country radio.
    The real problem though is that the FVOTY category is so thinly populated. Martina McBride and Taylor Swift were included more on their names and their history than on their impact on the genre in the current year. A large part of the voting pool lean Mainstream - and won't nominate artists like Ashley Monroe or Holly Williams.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Taylor is mentioned as being on the new Glen Campbell documentary "I'll Be Me",along with Brad Paisley,Keith Urban,The Band Perry and quite a number of big musical names. It debuts in limited release in theaters on Oct.24. It's about Glen's final tour while dealing with Alzheimer's. Carrie might have worked well with Glen before his diagnosis. He is/was one of the real "greats" in country-pop music.

I certainly feel for Glen Campbell and his family in having to face the ordeal of Alzheimers - I wish him every strength in dealing with that.

He is a man who's shown greatness in his musical career and brought pleasure to millions, and for that he deserves the thanks of the genre - At the same time, though, I would have had mixed feelings about Carrie or Miranda performing in a tribute. I'd rather not explain here - PM if necessary.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Since I don't choose to belong to other artists' message boards or fan clubs, I will still use those artists' threads in the Music section of the forum to discuss them. However, since Taylor has so blatantly announced that she is leaving Country music, I see no need to discuss her in the other threads, unless, of course, the country music industry continues to try to claim her by nominating her for awards and such. It is hard not to discuss them lavishing love on a pop star because they don't want to lose their money maker.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Since I don't choose to belong to other artists' message boards or fan clubs, I will still use those artists' threads in the Music section of the forum to discuss them. However, since Taylor has so blatantly announced that she is leaving Country music, I see no need to discuss her in the other threads, unless, of course, the country music industry continues to try to claim her by nominating her for awards and such. It is hard not to discuss them lavishing love on a pop star because they don't want to lose their money maker.
    I really hope we do not talk about her that much. However, he older stuff will still be played on country radio. I also have a feeling that the country music community is not ready to let go of her yet, even though I think she used country music as a spring board to break into the music industry, and they are either to stupid to realize it or do not care. I am glad that she is a full fledged pop artist now, I do not think that the majority of her fans, were ever country music fans(I think they just liked her), so it wont be a huge lose for country music in general. I think she is where she has always wanted to be, and I hope she stays there, and if it does not work out for her, I hope she does not come crawling back on her hands and knees to country music. I predict that once the album comes out, she will slowly fade from being mentioned as much on this board.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    She will absolutely come back to country music one day, and country music has made it abundantly clear that they wait with baited breath.
    I will guess that it will take another 2 pop albums at least before that begins to happen.

1989 is going to be huge. And she will not lose her foothold in pop for a good long while. But when she does, she'll be baaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I wonder if she ever will really come back to country, though. Artists like Sam Smith, Mumford, Lumineers, etc, are all played on pop and Hot AC stations, so I could see Taylor staying on pop and maybe changing her style even more when the bubblegum pop isn't doing it for her anymore. Honestly, I would give anything for Taylor to take that alt-rock-folk direction because that is when she absolutely excels. Maybe if she ever tires of being the pop diva she will do that. She should do that. Maybe in her thirties or forties, lol. I honestly don't want to ever see her come back to country. Nothing she ever released to country felt that authentic to me, but perhaps that is because she was still a teen for most of that time and her music at that time just wasn't mature enough for me.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    I totally agree with you Kiz. I think her sound is much more suited to that.

But I don't see Taylor choosing to go to a mid-support type of radio format. She wants to be on top. She could go back to country and regain a really solid foothold if she wanted to.
    Hot AC stations are widely listened to, but they don't get a lot of buzz.

So as much as I think she would sound perfect there, I don't see her happily settling there.

•