Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rainbow1
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Big Collection of Old Country Records

Concert Stars

Big Collection of Old Country Records

Faraway, I thought you might be interested, and maybe others. On the Ok City news they showed a collection of old country albums, owned by a lanky, old cowboy musician. He has them in a two door garage. Its about an hour and a half from where I live. It's the biggest collection west of the Mississippi. He has 400 Hank Williams records and the last recorded interview with Earnest Tubbs. He said, "If it don't have a steel guitar and a fiddle in it, I don't listen to it"!
    Farawayhills and opry051008 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Ha ha - he sounds a great guy!
    I'm glad there are people who build up these collections of originals. It reminds me of a DJ (in Maryland, I think) who used to broadcast selections from his huge collection of old 78s. I remember he once played an obscure Rockabilly group from the mid 50s - and called it the "last Country record ever made in Nashville"! (There's some sad history in that - when the Pop-fusion "Nashville Sound" was created by the big record companies, they deliberately drove "Hillbilly" styles, that didn't fit, out of Music Row and off radio. The bad feeling was never lost by some - one group I used to follow on MySpace said they could see the lights of Nashville in the distance from where they lived, but would never go there, preferring to drive down to Chattanooga for anything they needed.
    Western Swing and Honky Tonk also fared badly on Music Row - but had a larger regional market in Texas and Oklahoma (with an important offshoot in California). This has not only helped preserve those styles, but has also led to the development of progressive styles that blend both tradition and innovation.
    rainbow1 likes this.

•