Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Larkin Poe: "Kin" era

Larkin Poe (a name taken from one of their ancestors) is the name used by the Lovell Sisters, Rebecca (the darker one, who plays mandolin and guitar and usually takes lead vocal) and Megan (the fair haired elder sister, who plays dobro). Both sisters, who are classically trained, write most of their music. I have followed them since they appeared as teenagers on A Prairie Home Companion. The girls are from Georgia, and they recently toured as Kristian Bush's backing musicians and harmony singers.

They have had records out before, and Rebeca won the Country section of the John Lennon Prize for her songwriting. However, "Kin" is being billed as their debut major release. It came out in the UK (where they have made a big impact) today, and will come out in the US tomorrow.

I can strongly recommend this duo for anyone interested in contemporary Progressive Roots Country - (this is an eclectic mix of forward looking influences, which remains rooted in string band "twang", but often departs markedly from styles that would be considered "traditional")

This little video gives a few brief tasters from the album

This is the track list:

1 Jailbreak
    2 Don't
    3 Stubborn Love
    4 Dandelion
    5 Crown of Fire
    6 Elephant
    7 High Horse
    8 Sugar High
    9 Jesse
    10 Banks of Allatoona
    11 We Intertwine
    12 Overachiever

And a review of the album
    Larkin Poe ?Kin? ? Album Review | For The Country Record
    (I like that reviewer, Vickye Fisher's fun resume, by the way! She says:
    "I run this joint. Country music blogger extraordinaire, fangirling, coffee drinking and Twittering on a far too regular basis. Loves bunnies, high heels and other girly things, notorious for pissing off Blake Shelton and generally being bluntly honest about all things country music. Feminist and chatty person.")

This is a live version of "We Intertwine" (a song which they also used on an earlier album)

I don't know if I've become famous without being famous (and without managing to marry Miranda along the way!) - but the Lovell Sisters are thanking Blake Shelton, on Twitter, for writing my post above!, lol

This is the reason why...
    Larkin Poe: "Kin" era, Blake Shelton music

(No worries - they're great people, and deserve the publicity.....and whenever Blake needs a ghostwriter, perhaps he'll give me a call, lol)

•