Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Like Tree1120Likes

Thread: Taylor Swift- "1989" Era

Concert Stars
    And how about those stairs in Do Re Me!!!!!
    bluetb4, Gator, liz278 and 2 others like this.

Concert Stars
    I can't imagine Carrie ever lip syncing, she won't even do that for the National Athem, unlike the majority of singers who have admitted doing that. That's why I respect her so much and so do other singers. She's the real deal.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    There are plenty of talented Pop stars that can sing AND perform extremely well and not using backing tracks, breathing issues, etc as a crutch.

Christina Aguilera, Pink, Adele, Beyoncé and many others are known for putting on excellent, entertaining shows while performing live.
    Personally, I'd never pay to see a show if I knew the performer didn't care enough to sing and perform live.

Taylor reminds me a lot of Britney Spears; people pay millions to fawn over her lipping and onstage effects, but she's just an a packaged Pop star, wrapped for consumption.
    If people enjoy spending their money to see a spectacle instead of an artist, that's their choice, but I don't get it LOL.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Huge Carrie Follower CarrieUDomination's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmuf2011 View Post
    I don't like Minaj but yesterday I watched her music video anaconda out of curiosity, as of last night it had 70+ million views in less than a week, so I watch part of it to see what is it that causes people to click replay over and over again. And let's just say I am probably never going to understand pop music/culture. To me an anaconda is a snake, and according to Minaj song and anaconda to her is someone's rear end. So when I click on the video I was expecting to see a snake, or the lyrics having some sort of snake like references kinda of like how there's a snake/devil reference in Cowboy Casanova instead what I got was alot of booty shaking/twerking
    This cracked me UP! XD
    pklongbeach likes this.

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I like the first single of the new album

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    A friend on another board posted this link, which may be of interest to those of you discussing her voice. It's an audio track of her vocal line at a recent live performance, isolated from the accompaniment. (I can't comment on whether this approach is fair, or useful - I'm just passing on the link as it was given to me!)

Taylor Swift's VMAs Performance, With Her Vocals Isolated

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    A friend on another board posted this link, which may be of interest to those of you discussing her voice. It's an audio track of her vocal line at a recent live performance, isolated from the accompaniment. (I can't comment on whether this approach is fair, or useful - I'm just passing on the link as it was given to me!)

Taylor Swift's VMAs Performance, With Her Vocals Isolated
    I don't think its a surprise to anyone that Taylor's strength is not her live vocals or even vocals in general. She's far from the first artist to make a successful music career despite relatively weak vocal skills. Her strengths are her writing, her ability to relate to teens, and her theatrical performances. It is what is is, she's not my cup of tea but I'm a good twenty years outside of her target demographic so I'm sure that is of absolutely no concern to her team. Nobody is under any obligation to listen, I would suggest those who don't like it just do what I do and change the channel.
    Farawayhills, Claire2004 and HuiZ like this.

King Eminem with the invisible Sia has failed to dethrone The Lord on iTunes. #TheFallOfEm #TheReignOfTaylor

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Although I haven't followed her earlier work at all closely, I have seen a couple of more recent videos of her appearing before fans in an acoustic setting, playing guitar and singing with minimal accompaniment and no showy effects. I think she's much more effective in situations like that, and much of the criticism of her voice then seems exaggerated. That may, of course, be influenced by my own preferences - but, be that as it may, it seems to me that a full scale move to Pop will be likely to take her into areas where the mixed reactions of fans and detractors are likely to become increasingly evident.
    HuiZ likes this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    ^^^^Let me clarify my earlier comments. I do not think Taylor is a bad singer. She's not a powerhouse like Carrie, Pink, or Beyoncé are but few are. Her vocals just aren't her strength, she has other strengths and she is very highly successful and I do not begrudge her that success in any way. People, particularly young girls, relate to her and she gives them what they expect.
    sosmallgirl and Farawayhills like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jptexas View Post
    I can't imagine Carrie ever lip syncing, she won't even do that for the National Athem, unlike the majority of singers who have admitted doing that. That's why I respect her so much and so do other singers. She's the real deal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3GEUtKclHk

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    There are plenty of talented Pop stars that can sing AND perform extremely well and not using backing tracks, breathing issues, etc as a crutch.

Christina Aguilera, Pink, Adele, Beyoncé and many others are known for putting on excellent, entertaining shows while performing live.
    Personally, I'd never pay to see a show if I knew the performer didn't care enough to sing and perform live.

Taylor reminds me a lot of Britney Spears; people pay millions to fawn over her lipping and onstage effects, but she's just an a packaged Pop star, wrapped for consumption.
    If people enjoy spending their money to see a spectacle instead of an artist, that's their choice, but I don't get it LOL.

Christina Aguilera always avoids the higher notes especially in songs such as 'Fighter', 'Beautiful', and 'The Voice Within' when singing live.

ADELE doesn't move whilst singing and that's different.

Beyoncé does always let the backing track sings her choruses, and does have breathing issues.

The only one on your list is P!nk who can perform in a circus but still sounds perfect.
    txacar likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by cmuf2011 View Post
    I don't like Minaj but yesterday I watched her music video anaconda out of curiosity, as of last night it had 70+ million views in less than a week, so I watch part of it to see what is it that causes people to click replay over and over again. And let's just say I am probably never going to understand pop music/culture. To me an anaconda is a snake, and according to Minaj song and anaconda to her is someone's rear end. So when I click on the video I was expecting to see a snake, or the lyrics having some sort of snake like references kinda of like how there's a snake/devil reference in Cowboy Casanova instead what I got was alot of booty shaking/twerking
    I can't comment on Nicki Minaj's song "Anaconda", but I thought Sir Mix-A-Lot defined what an anaconda was in hip hop music in Baby Got Back. I quote: "my anaconda don't want none if you ain't got buns hon". Lol. Perhaps his song was Nicki's inspiration, lol.
    pklongbeach, HuiZ and cmuf2011 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Foul: Not the same, and you know it. Produced videos require the singer. That is not a Live performance.

You could have sited Thanksgiving Day Parade but I think that was too early in her career to stand up and refuse, I think the venue required it also.

I do believe that Carrie now is very careful NOT to do projects that require her to use a backing track.
    maddkat and HuiZ like this.

Concert Stars
    Christina Aguilera always avoids the higher notes especially in songs such as 'Fighter', 'Beautiful', and 'The Voice Within' when singing live.

Beyoncé does always let the backing track sings her choruses, and does have breathing issues.

The only one on your list is P!nk who can perform in a circus but still sounds perfect.
    I'm gonna call you out once more, wink! just for fun..

I don't mind singers avoiding the top of their range all the time, it shows they respect their instrument which, just like the knees of a runner, must be spared stress whenever possible.
    Beyoncé is not half the singer of a Xtina /Underwood / Pink ....She is half real and half industry produced...
    Adele, as a true singer and Artist, knows the difference between her art and Pinks. She doesn't run around cause it would effect her art. Taylor wants money and fame, she just calls it art.

As for Pink: Much like my attitude toward Carrie, I don't need her to do a circus act to be entertaining. I would rather she just sing. That's how good she is.

But none of this speaks to reaction to Taylors choices. Tayor makes choices based on the most famous she can get. I truly believe that. She does not strive for Artistic Excellence. That whole idea of artisty was thrust upon her from the Country Music Media attempting to create a Star from a girl who does little more than write catchy melodies.

She is no better an Artist than Britney and probably not as good as Miley.

(I am holding out hope for the next single but SIO is a total mess for me.....hoping)
    maddkat and Gator like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I can't comment on Nicki Minaj's song "Anaconda", but I thought Sir Mix-A-Lot defined what an anaconda was in hip hop music in Baby Got Back. I quote: "my anaconda don't want none if you ain't got buns hon". Lol. Perhaps his song was Nicki's inspiration, lol.
    Nicki's song sampled it. It's her chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Foul: Not the same, and you know it. Produced videos require the singer. That is not a Live performance.

You could have sited Thanksgiving Day Parade but I think that was too early in her career to stand up and refuse, I think the venue required it also.

I do believe that Carrie now is very careful NOT to do projects that require her to use a backing track.
    I wanted to say the parade but I can't the video so...
    pklongbeach likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Taylor Swift's 1989 era

Pointing out that Christina skips some high notes proves nothing, since she sings circles around most of her peers based on RAW TALENT alone.

Adele can also sing, and I'm sure could still be better than most, even with theatrics.

Beyoncé does full routines and has also proven she's an incredible singer, which was precisely my point.

Taylor is barely adequate without theatrics, whereas the women I mentioned still have skills as performers and vocalists that are way above Taylor's when they're doing more than she is.

Sorry I don't buy that Taylor is somewhow as talented as these ladies, because based on her performance/vocal skills, she's not.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Nicki's song sampled it. It's her chorus.
    I have never heard the song, so I didn't know that. Makes sense, though.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Pointing out that Christina skips some high notes proves nothing, since she sings circles around most of her peers based on RAW TALENT alone.

Adele can also sing, and I'm sure could still be better than most, even with theatrics.

Beyoncé does full routines and has also proven she's an incredible singer, which was precisely my point.

Taylor is barely adequate without theatrics, whereas the women I mentioned still have skills as performers and vocalists that are way above Taylor's when they're doing more than she is.

Sorry I don't buy that Taylor is somewhow as talented as these ladies, because based on her performance/vocal skills, she's not.

Agreed. And even in the performance arena Taylor can't really compete with most. Many women who put on these theatrical shows "actually dance".
    Taylor does not dance any better or worse (Arguably) than Carrie. And she has admitted to it.

So continues the debate; "if we are going to use phrases like "incredibly/extremely/very...talented" it still begs the question "At What"!
    I actually think this new era is going to be a little harder for her to earn her tremendous success. She is now competing on a level playingfield with pop singers. And so far she has been met with a few critics along the way already.

•  
    Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast