Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

The Civil Wars announce breakup ):

The Civil Wars—made up of duo partners Joy Williams and John Paul White—have regretfully decided to permanently part ways. The difficult decision ends a tumultuous period for the four-time Grammy Award-winning band, who has been on indefinite hiatus since late 2012.

Full statement and "You Are My Sunshine" download at The Civil Wars Official Site

Awww to bad. I really liked their music.

Concert Stars
    Awww, that is too bad.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I'm afraid this sad news was very much to be expected, as the duo have been effectively disbanded and seemingly unable to find a means to communicate effectively for some considerable time. For what it's worth, I believe this has more to do with personal and family considerations than with any animosity or stylistic disagreement. Joy and her husband Nate have a young baby, Miles. (As Nate is also the manager, he was able to tour with her). She is more experienced as a solo and recording artist, though her work with the Civil Wars took her in a new stylistic direction. She has also been the one who has kept up contact with fans and tried to maintain the impetus associated with TCW.

John Paul has several somewhat older children, and TCW meant that he had to spend longer periods away from his wife and family, and it is probably understandable if the situation was more stressful for him. He comes from the Loretto-St Joseph area on the North side of the Tennessee River, just across from the musically famous Shoals area of Alabama that also partly spawned Carrie's massive hit "Before He Cheats", and I think that John Paul had much to do with the innovative Roots feel of The Civil Wars music. Without his input, it is hard to see the same style continuing. Fans have heard little from him lately, and I think there has been some pressure from sections of the fan base for them to announce the split, rather than let things go on in uncertainty. (Having experienced a lengthy, almost information-less hiatus, with the Dixie Chicks, I, personally, would lean to the "never say never" approach - especially when there are signs that the members feel differently about a reunion - but I know some fans would not agree.)

It's a nice gesture to make "You Are My Sunshine" available as a parting gift to fans (even, though, sadly, it is not a new recording.) Their version does though take the complicated history of this much recorded song back closer to its Country roots. Often associated with Louisiana Governor Jimmie Davis, who bought the rights to it, and registered himself as the writer, it actually had an earlier history, and was written by members of the Rice Brothers Gang. For comparison, this is the original 1939 recording by the Pine Ridge Boys (for whom Riley Puckett, of Country Music's first super-group the Skillet Lickers, played guitar)

The impact of Taylor Swift.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I'm afraid this sad news was very much to be expected, as the duo have been effectively disbanded and seemingly unable to find a means to communicate effectively for some considerable time. For what it's worth, I believe this has more to do with personal and family considerations than with any animosity or stylistic disagreement. Joy and her husband Nate have a young baby, Miles. (As Nate is also the manager, he was able to tour with her). She is more experienced as a solo and recording artist, though her work with the Civil Wars took her in a new stylistic direction. She has also been the one who has kept up contact with fans and tried to maintain the impetus associated with TCW.

John Paul has several somewhat older children, and TCW meant that he had to spend longer periods away from his wife and family, and it is probably understandable if the situation was more stressful for him. He comes from the Loretto-St Joseph area on the North side of the Tennessee River, just across from the musically famous Shoals area of Alabama that also partly spawned Carrie's massive hit "Before He Cheats", and I think that John Paul had much to do with the innovative Roots feel of The Civil Wars music. Without his input, it is hard to see the same style continuing. Fans have heard little from him lately, and I think there has been some pressure from sections of the fan base for them to announce the split, rather than let things go on in uncertainty. (Having experienced a lengthy, almost information-less hiatus, with the Dixie Chicks, I, personally, would lean to the "never say never" approach - especially when there are signs that the members feel differently about a reunion - but I know some fans would not agree.)

It's a nice gesture to make "You Are My Sunshine" available as a parting gift to fans (even, though, sadly, it is not a new recording.) Their version does though take the complicated history of this much recorded song back closer to its Country roots. Often associated with Louisiana Governor Jimmie Davis, who bought the rights to it, and registered himself as the writer, it actually had an earlier history, and was written by members of the Rice Brothers Gang. For comparison, this is the original 1939 recording by the Pine Ridge Boys (for whom Riley Puckett, of Country Music's first super-group the Skillet Lickers, played guitar)

I got the impression that there was some sort of rift between JP and Joy; the fact that he didn't even thank HER in their joint statement left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I know there are two sides to every story, but the way JP has treated Joy (at least publicly), really rubs me the wrong way.

•