Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Florida Georgia Line - Dirt

Concert Stars

Florida Georgia Line - Dirt

I know a lot of people on here do not like FGL, but they just released their newest single last night, Dirt and released the music video this morning. You will be surprised by the sound of this song, it's actually really good and it's a much different sound than their previous album. I'm sure they will have their usual party anthem songs on their new album, but this song I really actually love and it's different for them and that's a good thing. It already has hit #1 All Genre on iTunes and #1 on the Country chart on iTunes.

JB172 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    a song about dirt....
    regardless of a different sound for them it's just yet another laundry list on things song

and this "You know you came from it (dirt) ,And some day you’ll return to"
    I just can't,sorry

I'm going to wait for more feedback before listening to it, if it is like cruise I don't want to help it reach #1 by listening to it once on youtube

Concert Stars

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Not a fan of FGL but this is a really nice sound for them and is something they should do more often.

The video is really good.
    Audra likes this.

Concert Stars
    Agree with Maddkat that unfortunately, even though the production is a softer tonality, this is exacty what they did throughout the last album and will likely do again.

A laundry list of items images and words that sound "country" but in fact are just a whole bunch of words that relate to "dirt". There is no creativity here at all. There is nothing about this song that means anything.

I get frustrated with them cause I really want to like them. I think thier writing "could" be really good. Really solid. Obviously who ever is writitng for them, if it is they themselves, they have a style and a way of writing that people are attracted. Great! So Say Something!!! Enough of these meaningless lists of country references. Its so insulting to me as a listener.

I just think they can be so much better than they are............

(and I am finally going to admit that the fake/intentional drawl that the singer uses to further "infuse" the music with a country sound, is just down right annoying now. You don't talk that way! Why are you singing that way??!!! ITs almost embarrassing).

Now I don't mean to come off so hard on them, I just get a bit frustrated feeling like I can be on the verge of really liking them, but then I just can get with the "fake country" that they manufacture to make themselves rich. I just can't abid!

I liked 'Cruise', 'Get Your Shine On', 'Stay', and 'This Is How We Roll'. I don't like this.

And no, we didn't come from dirt.
    pklongbeach and maddkat like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    For me, it has significantly better lyrics, and doesn't seem to be driving for a relentlessly crossover approach - and in that sense, I do agree with Billy Dukes that they are trying to answer some of their critics and strive for a growth in a direction that introduces more variety from the rather stereotyped trademark sound that they became identified with.

But - while I think the song itself is a big improvement on "Cruise", both lyrically and thematically - I don't actually think that the duo's delivery does depart much from their best known style. For me, it's still dominated by "boom and belt" choruses, and still sounds very Pop influenced.

And that's where I part company from Billy Dukes' review. He calls it their most traditional Country song to date - but if he means that in a musical sense, it must be based on the introduction (which does contain instrumental elements suggesting a more Country Music feel). Once the guys kick in with their anthemic vocal, however, all claim to it sounding "traditional" evaporates for me. And that presents the dilemma often involved in trying to characterize contemporary, Pop-influenced chart songs as "traditional". I don't think many traditional fans would accept this as a traditional song - nor would they be likely to, unless the artists went radically further in a direction that would alienate contemporary radio, and many of the much larger cohort of fans who support what they already do.

I feel it's better to regard this as a likely fan pleaser, with a more evocative lyric, that introduces more variety and goes some way to broadening the duo's rather polarizing image - rather than trying to present the song as musically more Country than it actually is.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I want to give FGL the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't get the feeling that they're serious artists who are in it for the long haul, and the love of making music in general.

This is just another laundry-list song that tries (and fails) to come off as deeper and more meaningful than it actually is, in my opinion.

Everytime I hear/see FGL, I just can't help but feel that every little thing is an act. No sincerity or believability because the music or the image, but they seem to think they're great because they're successful.

Look at me, I can be deep and sing about REAL THINGS. Except it's just a facade to cover up a bigger problem.

Concert Stars
    alright then, probably shouldn't have posted about this then by all the negativity

It's a charity single though, so may not mean anything to the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Audra View Post
    alright then, probably shouldn't have posted about this then by all the negativity
    No, please don't feel that way - I'm glad you did post it, since I might not have heard it at all if you hadn't. I think it's an interesting development for them.

Country Music is a vast spectrum of styles, and very few people relate to all of them. I pay little attention to most of the more Mainstream styles - and I think this is solidly Mainstream - but tastes will always vary.

I think there've been two great albums (by Eric and Miranda) released to the Mainstream Country format so far this year - but I'm sure quite a few fans here hate both of them, lol. I'm expecting at least two more (Carrie and Lee Ann), which I hope will add up to a strong and memorable year. Some will love all of them, many will like one and not the others, some won't like any of them.
    That's true for every musician - if fans hope everyone's going to love the same favourite artists and the work they produce, it's never going to happen.

But, as the saying goes, variety is the spice of life (smiley)

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    No, please don't feel that way - I'm glad you did post it, since I might not have heard it at all if you hadn't. I think it's an interesting development for them.

Country Music is a vast spectrum of styles, and very few people relate to all of them. I pay little attention to most of the more Mainstream styles - and I think this is solidly Mainstream - but tastes will always vary.

I think there've been two great albums (by Eric and Miranda) released to the Mainstream Country format so far this year - but I'm sure quite a few fans here hate both of them, lol. I'm expecting at least two more (Carrie and Lee Ann), which I hope will add up to a strong and memorable year. Some will love all of them, many will like one and not the others, some won't like any of them.
    That's true for every musician - if fans hope everyone's going to love the same favourite artists and the work they produce, it's never going to happen.

But, as the saying goes, variety is the spice of life (smiley)
    this is true...everyone will like/love/hate whoever, just not used to so much negativity that's all, even though I know there's negativity around the whole forum when it comes to a lot of things but I'm not a negative person so it's always surprising to see so much lol
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Audra View Post
    this is true...everyone will like/love/hate whoever, just not used to so much negativity that's all, even though I know there's negativity around the whole forum when it comes to a lot of things but I'm not a negative person so it's always surprising to see so much lol

Try to see it the way I have to view all of carries reviews.
    "I see much potencial in them, they just don't live up to it".
    gocountrymusic likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^ Audra, I have no problem with FGL. I am pretty open to any artists these days and tired of trying to dislike all music except Carrie lol (for another day). There are a lot of people out there that like them obviously so don't worry about it. I actually think it is fun watching them on shows etc lol. But I guess I am pretty shallow these days in that I don't feel like all music has to be perfect, and/or dramatic, and/or award winning for me to have fun listening to it lol. (*smiley face*). And honestly, IMO, I would think that artists can be or may be serious about their music even if is not all of those things. Maybe some artists just put out the type of music they like?! But they might just not be the right cup of tea for some.

(I wish they would get the dang smiley faces back to working)
    Audra likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I am not a fan of FGL, at all, but I have to say this is their best song to date.. It is not great, I do not think that they can come out with a great song, but it is their best song to date.. So I am going to give credit where credit is due.. Hopefully they can improve on this, and actually maybe go country.... Tyler Hubbard's drawl annoys me though.. It just sounds kind of forced..

The song under discussion was written by Chris Tompkins ("Before He Cheats", "Blown Away"), with Rodney Clawson (the same collaboration responsible for the Band Perry's "Let Me Be Lonely"). Although some posters haven't liked the writing, I do think it's largely responsible for the progression in the quality of the song - and I notice similarities with the other songs in the shimmering effect of the music (especially in the first minute), and in the interplay between narrative and high drama in the voice line. What I haven't noticed, though, is much difference in FGL's delivery of the song (I guess that's to be expected, though, as their anthemic style is obviously a big part of what attracts their popularity.)

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    The song under discussion was written by Chris Tompkins ("Before He Cheats", "Blown Away"), with Rodney Clawson (the same collaboration responsible for the Band Perry's "Let Me Be Lonely"). Although some posters haven't liked the writing, I do think it's largely responsible for the progression in the quality of the song - and I notice similarities with the other songs in the shimmering effect of the music (especially in the first minute), and in the interplay between narrative and high drama in the voice line. What I haven't noticed, though, is much difference in FGL's delivery of the song (I guess that's to be expected, though, as their anthemic style is obviously a big part of what attracts their popularity.)
    Yes, good observation. It did not occure to me until you said it.
    The song is sung in the exact same way that every song on the last album was sung. No varience of any kind.
    So it dos sound so much like everything else of theres, even if the instrumentation and to mood of the song is different.
    That Voice comes in and it is just like everyone of their songs....

'Dirt' is slaying so hard on iTunes, they are looking to be the biggest legends since Garth Brooks and George Strait. #justsayin'

Concert Stars
    .........I can never tell when you are being serious!

How is it doing on itunes.......???

I think a band like FGL ends up very similar to a band like LA, they get one huge hit and then build a career on finding a way to get back up there. FGL is not going to ever outlive Cruise.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast