• 3 Post By dsfox2009
  • 1 Post By CALEBJOE
  • 1 Post By CALEBJOE
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Miranda's Solo and Co-Written Songs

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Miranda's Solo and Co-Written Songs

I didn't want to derail the Platinum album thread, so I thought I would start a separate thread to dicsuss Miranda as a songwriter and how her choice to use solo or co-written songs has decreased with each albums. What are your favorite Miranda penned songs and do you wish she would go back to including more of her own on her albums? I thought about making this a thread to discuss both Carrie and Miranda's co-writes, but I didn't want to be the one starting a major argument on here that no one would win. I may still bring it up later in the thread depending on how the conversation goes and if everyone can agree to remain civil and agree to disagree on which songs are better since everyone will have wildly different opinions. Anyway, I have listed below Miranda's solo or co-written songs by album. Sorry for the formatting, some copied well from Wikipedia and some didn't.

Kerosene - 2005, 5 solo penned songs, 6 co-writes
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Kerosene" Miranda Lambert, Steve Earle 3:05
    2. "What About Georgia" M. Lambert 3:25
    3. "Greyhound Bound for Nowhere" M. Lambert, Rick Lambert 4:23
    4. "New Strings" M. Lambert 3:50
    5. "I Can't Be Bothered" Travis Howard 3:20
    6. "Bring Me Down" M. Lambert, Howard 4:15
    7. "Me and Charlie Talking" M. Lambert, R. Lambert, Heather Little 4:12
    8. "I Wanna Die" M. Lambert, Scotty Wray 3:46
    9. "Love Is Looking for You" M. Lambert 3:52
    10. "Mama, I'm Alright" M. Lambert, Howard 4:07
    11. "There's a Wall" M. Lambert 4:15
    12. "Love Your Memory" M. Lambert 3:47

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 2007, 3 solo penned songs, 5 co-writes
    1. "Gunpowder & Lead" Miranda Lambert, Heather Little 3:11
    2. "Dry Town" David Rawlings, Gillian Welch 2:42
    3. "Famous in a Small Town" Lambert, Travis Howard 4:05
    4. "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" Lambert, Howard 3:07
    5. "Love Letters" Lambert 2:45
    6. "Desperation" Lambert 3:31
    7. "More Like Her" Lambert 3:28
    8. "Down" Lambert, Howard 3:55
    9. "Guilty in Here" Lambert, Howard 2:43
    10. "Getting Ready" Patty Griffin 3:21
    11. "Easy from Now On" Carlene Carter, Susanna Clark 4:37

Revolution - 2009, 3 solo penned songs, 8 co-writes
    1."White Liar" Miranda Lambert, Natalie Hemby 4:48
    2."Only Prettier" Lambert, Hemby3:09
    3."Dead Flowers" Lambert3:59
    4."Me and Your Cigarettes" Lambert, Ashley Monroe, Blake Shelton2:24
    5."Maintain the Pain" Lambert2:17
    6."Airstream Song" Lambert, Hemby2:48
    7."Makin' Plans" Lambert3:50
    8."Time to Get a Gun" Fred Eaglesmith3:55
    9."Somewhere Trouble Don't Go" Julie Miller3:21
    10."The House That Built Me" Tom Douglas, Allen Shamblin3:56
    11."Love Song" Lambert, Shelton, Charles Kelley, Dave Haywood2:49
    12."Heart Like Mine" Lambert, Monroe, Travis Howard2:57
    13."Sin for a Sin" Lambert, Shelton3:28
    14."That's the Way That The World Goes 'Round" John Prine3:25
    15."Virginia Bluebell" Lambert, Hemby, Jennifer Kennard3:46

Four the Record - 2011, 2 solo penned songs, 4 co-writes
    1."All Kinds of Kinds" Phillip Coleman, Don Henry4:26
    2."Fine Tune" Natalie Hemby, Luke Laird4:39
    3."Fastest Girl in Town" Miranda Lambert, Angaleena Presley3:20
    4."Safe" Lambert4:46
    5."Mama's Broken Heart" Brandy Clark, Shane McAnally, Kacey Musgraves2:59
    6."Dear Diamond" Lambert3:49
    7."Same Old You" Brandi Carlile3:05
    8."Baggage Claim" Lambert, Hemby, Laird3:18
    9."Easy Living" Lambert, Scotty Wray2:45
    10."Over You" Lambert, Blake Shelton4:15
    11."Look at Miss Ohio" David Rawlings, Gillian Welch4:18
    12."Better in the Long Run" (with Blake Shelton)Charles Kelley, Ashley Monroe, Gordie Sampson3:34
    13."Nobody's Fool" Chris Stapleton3:43
    14."Oklahoma Sky" Allison Moorer4:46

Platinum - 2014, 1 solo penned song, 7 co-writes
    1. "Girls" Nicolle Galyon, Natalie Hemby, Jimmy Robbins 3:35
    2. "Platinum" Miranda Lambert, Galyon, Hemby 3:11
    3. "Little Red Wagon" Audra Mae, Joe Ginsberg 3:24
    4. "Smokin' and Drinkin'" (featuring Little Big Town) Hemby, Luke Laird, Shane McAnally 5:30
    5. "Priscilla" Galyon, Hemby, Robbins 3:26
    6. "Automatic" Lambert, Galyon, Hemby 4:07
    7. "Bathroom Sink" Lambert 4:05
    8. "Old ****" Brent Cobb, Neil Mason 2:45
    9. "All That's Left" (featuring The Time Jumpers) Dixie Hall, Tom T. Hall 3:11
    10. "Gravity Is a *****" Lambert, Scotty Wray 3:08
    11. "Babies Makin' Babies" Galyon, Hemby, Robbins 2:56
    12. "Somethin' Bad" (duet with Carrie Underwood) Chris DeStefano, Brett James, Priscilla Renea 2:49
    13. "Holding on to You" Lambert, Jessi Alexander, Ashley Monroe 4:32
    14. "Two Rings Shy" Lambert, Brandy Clark, Heather Little 3:18
    15. "Hard Staying Sober" Lambert, Hemby, Laird 4:28
    16. "Another Sunday in the South" Lambert, Alexander, Monroe 3:50
    CALEBJOE and Farawayhills like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    It's late and I need to go to sleep, but I thought I would kick off the conversation saying that wow at Kerosene - it was an amazing album where I loved most of the songs and she wrote/co-wrote 11 of the 12. Some of my favorite Miranda songs are on there - my favorite being the solo written "There's A Wall", but I also love Kerosene, Greyhound, Bring Me Down, I Wanna Die, Love is Looking for You, and Love Your Memory. Amazing songs that made me love Miranda immediately.

On Crazy Ex-GF, my favorite songs are G&L and More Like Her, the latter of which is a solo write and that song was just perfect. I also remember loving "Love Letters" and "Guilty", and of course, "Famous". Again, some amazing songs that were written solely by Miranda.

My favorites off of Revolution are Dead Flowers, White Liar, Sin for a Sin, and Heart Like Mine. Obviously, the biggest hit of this era was not a co-write, but while I love THTBM, I don't know that it is my favorite Miranda song. I like most of the songs on Kerosene better, as well as More Like Her and G&L.

Four the Record obviously saw the least amount of co-writes, but has one of my favorite Miranda songs ever - Dear Diamond.

The jury is still out on Platinum for me, but now that I have had a chance to look at the writing credits - except for Platinum, the songs that I dislike the most or am still figuring out whether I like are all of the ones Miranda didn't have a hand in writing (Girls and SB being the only exceptions). The more I listen to this album, the more I hear classic Miranda in the ones she helped write.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    That's good to read your opening post. I like your tables. You have spent a lot of time enjoying Miranda's music.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    On Crazy Ex-GF, my favorite songs are G&L and More Like Her, the latter of which is a solo write and that song was just perfect. I also remember loving "Love Letters" and "Guilty", and of course, "Famous". Again, some amazing songs that were written solely by Miranda.
    My favorite off of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is Famous in a Small Town

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I'd just mention that "Kerosene" was not a co-write in the conventional sense - more a case of unconsciously absorbing musical influence. Miranda wrote it - but it was later pointed out to her that the musical line was similar to a song by Steve Earle. Miranda realized that, as a long time fan of Steve, she must have had the music in the back of her mind, without being aware of the connection at the time. She therefore added his name as a co-writer (even though Steve had not made any complaint or otherwise contacted her).

I'm torn both ways on the general question of her songwriting. Some of her songs which I most admire for their depth of mood and and build up of a character's psyche (such as "Dead Flowers", "Dear Diamond", and the new "Bathroom Sink") have been solo writes. This has been one of the areas in which she's made a particularly strong impression, and I'd like to see her include work of this nature on all her albums.

But, also, I am very much a Roots Country fan - and one of the things I greatly admire about Miranda is her willingness to draw on songs that were written by modern Roots Country artists. An example would be Julie Miller's "Somewhere Trouble Don't Go" - (the original version , by Julie's husband Buddy, was a much loved anthem in the Roots sector.) This sort of support for the wider range of contemporary Country Music is one of the reasons I so love "Four the Record" - probably Miranda's most "Alternatve" album, with songs by leading figures like Gillian Welch, Allison Moorer, and Brandi Carlile, as well a willingness to dig deep, and find a delightful but risky song like "All Kinds of Kinds". This willingness to look beyond the Mainstream-friendly surface is relatively rare in the format's chart stars, and I would want it to continue.

So I believe solo writes, co-writes and non-writes all have a place in her albums, and combine to strengthen her overall song choices, so I don't see concentrating on any one of them in future as being a priority

Concert Stars
    I notice that as time went on, she had more and more co-writes instead of writing completely by herself. I guess you just don't have as much time as you get more successful or such. I just mean that basically she wrote, by herself, 5-6 (six if you count Kerosene) on the first album and one on the current album. Personally, I never worry about who writes what though. I only care if it is a good song that I like.
    Last edited by pkc4rls; 06-09-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I'd just mention that "Kerosene" was not a co-write in the conventional sense - more a case of unconsciously absorbing musical influence. Miranda wrote it - but it was later pointed out to her that the musical line was similar to a song by Steve Earle. Miranda realized that, as a long time fan of Steve, she must have had the music in the back of her mind, without being aware of the connection at the time. She therefore added his name as a co-writer (even though Steve had not made any complaint or otherwise contacted her).

I'm torn both ways on the general question of her songwriting. Some of her songs which I most admire for their depth of mood and and build up of a character's psyche (such as "Dead Flowers", "Dear Diamond", and the new "Bathroom Sink") have been solo writes. This has been one of the areas in which she's made a particularly strong impression, and I'd like to see her include work of this nature on all her albums.

But, also, I am very much a Roots Country fan - and one of the things I greatly admire about Miranda is her willingness to draw on songs that were written by modern Roots Country artists. An example would be Julie Miller's "Somewhere Trouble Don't Go" - (the original version , by Julie's husband Buddy, was a much loved anthem in the Roots sector.) This sort of support for the wider range of contemporary Country Music is one of the reasons I so love "Four the Record" - probably Miranda's most "Alternatve" album, with songs by leading figures like Gillian Welch, Allison Moorer, and Brandi Carlile, as well a willingness to dig deep, and find a delightful but risky song like "All Kinds of Kinds". This willingness to look beyond the Mainstream-friendly surface is relatively rare in the format's chart stars, and I would want it to continue.

So I believe solo writes, co-writes and non-writes all have a place in her albums, and combine to strengthen her overall song choices, so I don't see concentrating on any one of them in future as being a priority
    Excellent post as usual, Faraway

I always look forward to Miranda's albums and what she has to say in her songwriting.

She's one of the best songwriters in this genre (in my opinion, anyway), and it's refreshing to see someone with such a great track record still putting out gems like "Dear Diamond," "Bathroom Sink," etc, despite the fact that all the other songwriters in Nashville are phoning it in for the sake of a hit right now.

I was underwhelmed with her last record, so my expectations weren't all that high for this one. What a relief that she seems to have gotten that effort out of her system, because this one is right up there with her best albums.

Sonically, it's so different for her, and lyrically it's so sharp and witty and self-aware. That's the kind of development I wanted to see more of from her, and she more than delivered.

This album actually cemented my thoughts that Miranda is one of the few who will remain consistently stellar despite mainstream success; I wasn't sure if that would happen based on my underwhelming feelings about FTR.

I also love that Miranda has finally found balance between being mainstream, and still being a distinctive, quality artist. Her last two albums had that mainstream sheen (with a few tracks as exceptions), and this one still has that, but with a stronger identity.

My favorites from each album
    Kersosene:
    Written for Her: I Wanna Die,
    Co Wrote: Greyhound Bound for Nowhere,
    Solo Write: New Strings, Love Is Looking for You, Mama, I'm Alright, There's a Wall, Love Your Memory

Crazy Ex Girlfriend: Gunpowder & Lead" Miranda Lambert Heather Little, "Love Letters" Lambert, "Desperation" Lambert, "More Like Her" Lambert,
    Co Wrote: Gunpowder and Lead,
    Solo Write: Love Letters, Desperation, More Like Her,

Revoluation:
    Written for her: Time To Get A Gun, The House That Built Me,
    CO Wrote: White Liar, Only Prettier, Dead Flowers, Love Song, Heart Like Mine
    Solo Write: Makin Plans, Dead Flowers

Four The Record:
    Written for Her: All Kinds of Kinds, Fine Tune, Mama Broken Heart, Oklahoma Sky,
    Cover: Same Old You,
    Co Wrote: Easy Living, Over You,
    Solo Write: Safe, Dear Diamonds,
    Platinum:
    Writtem for her: Little Red Wagon, All Thats Left feat The Time Jumpers, Babies Makin Babies, Something Bad,
    Co Wrote: Gravity Is A B****, Holding On To You, Another Sunday In The South
    Solo Write: Bathroom Sink,

I want her to contine to have songs written for her, cover, co write and write by herself. I hope she does not give up writing solo all together. She is one of the most talented writers in music. I like a mixture :-)

Insane Carrie Fan
    Singles that never were...
    "Love Your Memory"-this is a beautifully written and great song all around
    "Sin For A Sin"-love the lyrics and sound
    "Dear Diamond"-this is one of the best country songs written and recorded in a very long time, it's just incredible. I was really disappointed it wasn't released
    All of these were written solo or with someone, so she is a great writer.

Junior Carrie Follower dsfox2009's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    My favorite Miranda solo write will always be Makin' Plans. I love all the singles released from Revolution, but I probably would have officially made White Liar the lead single and left Dead Flowers as an album track in order for Makin' Plans to be released fourth between OP and HLM. In my opinion, it was such a shame that her team never released it as a single.

When it comes to co-writes, I will admit that I never really got much into the Kerosene album. But from what I have heard of it, the three singles that were co-written with others (Kerosene, Bring Me Down, and Me and Charlie Talking) are all highlights from what I can recall. From her other albums, my favorites of the co-writes would probably go like this:

CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND
    Gunpowder & Lead
    Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

REVOLUTION
    White Liar
    Only Prettier
    Airstream Song
    Heart Like Mine
    Virginia Bluebell

FOUR THE RECORD
    Fastest Girl In Town
    Baggage Claim

PLATINUM
    Platinum
    Automatic
    Gravity Is A *****
    Holding On To You

I’m not going to say that I prefer her co-writes to some of the tracks that on her albums that were not written with her help, as some of the songs given to her are definite highlights from their respective albums (especially the more recent of her albums). But it is always nice when artists at least try to keep their hands in the writing process of their material. Personally, I prefer it when artists reach out for help writing songs on their albums (as opposed to artists like Taylor who write everything by themselves or with the help of others), as I feel this brings in more ideas and ultimately produces a more cohesive product. With that said, I am not too upset that Miranda is bringing in more help these days when it comes to songwriting. I just wish that the general public would realize this, and not use the whole “She writes all of her own songs!” argument anymore when it is no longer true.

Concert Stars
    To me this will always be my favorite song that Miranda wrote by herself was only 18 when she wrote Love Is Looking For You from the Kerosene album.

Concert Stars
    This is a bonus track from Crazy Ex that was available at Target when the album was released.It's amazing this didn't make the album cut but is a hidden gem and is also one of my top favorite co-writes by Miranda.

Target Bonus Tracks
    12. "Take It Out on Me" Miranda Lambert, Travis Howard, Dennis Matkosky 3:29
    13. "I Just Really Miss You" Lambert, Keith Gattis, Howard 5:23

Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    iTunes Bonus Track
    12. "Girl Like Me" Heather Little, Miranda Lambert 2:55

This was another bonus song from Crazy Ex that was made available through Itunes.I tend to gravitate more towards her slower songs but still love her upbeat tunes.Again another hidden gem of a co write that many may have not heard of

Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    Best Buy Bonus Track
    12. "Nobody's Used to Be" M. Lambert, Rick Lambert 2:48

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CALEBJOE View Post
    This is a bonus track from Crazy Ex that was available at Target when the album was released.It's amazing this didn't make the album cut but is a hidden gem and is also one of my top favorite co-writes by Miranda.

Target Bonus Tracks
    12. "Take It Out on Me" Miranda Lambert, Travis Howard, Dennis Matkosky 3:29
    13. "I Just Really Miss You" Lambert, Keith Gattis, Howard 5:23

That is beyond brilliant!
    I'd never heard it, so thanks for posting.
    (The fact that she'd written with Keith Gattis - even if it didn't make the official album - shows the depth of understanding she has for the choices available in contemporary Country songwriting.)
    CALEBJOE likes this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    That is beyond brilliant!
    I'd never heard it, so thanks for posting.
    (The fact that she'd written with Keith Gattis - even if it didn't make the official album - shows the depth of understanding she has for the choices available in contemporary Country songwriting.)
    You're welcome I was lucky enough to pick up the Dead Flowers Ep album that was released two months prior to Revolution.Hard to find the cd now as not many were circulated I believe but glad you enjoyed the song.Don't know why I like her slower/ballad songs like More Like Her,Virginia Bluebell and many more like Dead Flowers and Love Is Looking For You more than her upbeat songs.Don't get me wrong I like all her music except for maybe Only Prettier and Fine Tune that one is still hard for me to listen to.

•