Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: The state of women in country music

Concert Stars

The state of women in country music

I know there has been talk in the past about the lack of women on country radio being played.But this segment from Billy Dukes shines even more light on how bad it really is for any women not named Carrie,Taylor or Miranda.

Startling Facts About Women and Country Radio

Junior Carrie Follower dsfox2009's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I actually posted this on my Facebook last night. A majority of the people I know are constantly eating up all of the "bro-country" being released on country radio right now. I just don't understand why.

Why is it so hard for the format to play music from artists of both genders? There are tons of female singers out there that are more than deserving of more exposure on country radio. Sure, the argument can be made that some there are actually vocal groups out there (Lady A, The Band Perry, Little Big Town) that help get more women on the airwaves. But it is nowhere near equal between the two sexes on the radio these days. What makes it worse is that the women are actually releasing much better music these days (Jamie Lynn Spears' "How Could I Want More" is phenomenal, and I really hope that Kacey's next single "Keep It To Yourself" gets the credit it deserves) than all of the guys that nobody knows about that get played constantly.

Although it's not to say that all men in the format are getting treated fairly, either. Why aren't newer male artists (Dustin Lynch comes to mind first) that are releasing different and unique tracks to country radio getting sideshelfed so that the public can hear Cruise for the third time in one hour? I really wish that radio big shots would see that people are getting sick of what we are being spoon fed, and I hope it happens soon.
    epicamends and pklongbeach like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by dsfox2009 View Post
    I actually posted this on my Facebook last night. A majority of the people I know are constantly eating up all of the "bro-country" being released on country radio right now. I just don't understand why.

Why is it so hard for the format to play music from artists of both genders? There are tons of female singers out there that are more than deserving of more exposure on country radio. Sure, the argument can be made that some there are actually vocal groups out there (Lady A, The Band Perry, Little Big Town) that help get more women on the airwaves. But it is nowhere near equal between the two sexes on the radio these days. What makes it worse is that the women are actually releasing much better music these days (Jamie Lynn Spears' "How Could I Want More" is phenomenal, and I really hope that Kacey's next single "Keep It To Yourself" gets the credit it deserves) than all of the guys that nobody knows about that get played constantly.

Although it's not to say that all men in the format are getting treated fairly, either. Why aren't newer male artists (Dustin Lynch comes to mind first) that are releasing different and unique tracks to country radio getting sideshelfed so that the public can hear Cruise for the third time in one hour? I really wish that radio big shots would see that people are getting sick of what we are being spoon fed, and I hope it happens soon.
    I agree with you 100%... I read or listened to an interview of Carrie's and she said the same thing.. She said she has walks down broadway(I guess there is a broadway in Nashville, Idk I have never been there), and she said that she hears women that are better than her all the time, and she wonders why they are not on radio.. I agree with you about Dustin Lynch.. He is awesome.. His Cowboy's and Angeles song is a beautiful song.. The same can be said of Chris Young he has put out some great music, but you really only heard about gim a lot from like 2009 to 2011, and since then not has much.. Obviously you hear more about him than Dustin, but he does not get the credit that he deserves either, and on a side note I loath the song Cruise.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by dsfox2009 View Post

Personally in regards to the females in the group you mentioned they are viewed as a group as a whole.The fact that artists like Ashley Monroe who released a brilliant song in Like A Rose didn't hardly get much love affair on radio.Not to mention Kellie Pickler who has had some solid singles that she has released but have gotten little support.Sarah Darling is another artist with her recent song Home To Me didn't get much traction at country radio.

These are just a few women there is a very long line and it makes what Carrie has done remarkable at country radio.But this has been a problem for a long time even before bro country has taken over the air waves.Well all I have to say to country radio go and play what you want I have other alternatives to listen to my favorites and to discover artists that you won't give the light of day to.

Ever since Kitty Wells there have been so many diverse incredibly talented solo women in country until now. We should not be going backwards. Ashley Monroe, Sara Jarosz, Holly Williams, Kellie Pickler, Jennifer Nettles, The Secret Sisters and so many talented ladies in country deserve a chance. They cannot convince me there are no other women who cannot have successful career. Just take a chance and promote promote promote. There is so many styles in country these days for whatever particular style a certain country fan prefers. I happen to enjoy all the different flavors of country.

I was wondering what happened to Dustin Lynch. I loved Cowboy and Angels. Its such a beautiful song. I don't listen to radio. Does Dierks Bentley and Zack Brown Band get played on radio? I like those two. I'm not going to listen to radio. I'm just curious.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by lizcarlo View Post
    Ever since Kitty Wells there have been so many diverse incredibly talented solo women in country until now. We should not be going backwards. Ashley Monroe, Sara Jarosz, Holly Williams, Kellie Pickler, Jennifer Nettles, The Secret Sisters and so many talented ladies in country deserve a chance. They cannot convince me there are no other women who cannot have successful career. Just take a chance and promote promote promote. There is so many styles in country these days for whatever particular style a certain country fan prefers. I happen to enjoy all the different flavors of country.

I was wondering what happened to Dustin Lynch. I loved Cowboy and Angels. Its such a beautiful song. I don't listen to radio. Does Dierks Bentley and Zack Brown Band get played on radio? I like those two. I'm not going to listen to radio. I'm just curious.
    Zac Brown is between records right now but are still being played on radio.Dierks recently went #1 with I Hold On this of course was on the heels of radio pulling Bourbon In Kentucky off the air which I liked.Dustin is currently #29 on mediabase with his single Where It's At.I do agree there are some talented women out there I just recently discovered a duo of sisters called The Rankin Twins.Would love to see these two plus Bri Bagwell get some exposure on mainstream country radio.

Concert Stars
    I think there are some really intersting ideas about "what women want" that could be looked at when we start to talk about "Why, in a format where women are the majority of listeners, are there so few women singing and the male songs are so extremely sexist?"

And I think the issue is with the way the industry interprates what women want. And I think it is working in their favors sadly.

I have a theory about women, ha haha.........
    Women like romance novels and movies. These stories are designed specifically to trigger feelings in women. They are not realistic in any way. They are pure fiction. But they are an ideal of what women want from men and for themselves, and it sells like Crazy!
    The men in are seen as two types, the simpathtic charactor and the Bad Boy. The woman ultimately stays friends with the simpethtic charactor and "changes" the bad boy in to a "perfect mate".

Women love Bad Boys but they can only have them if they can change them, (which is impossible but thats a nother rant).
    But they love the allure, they love th alloftness, they love the danger, even though they don't want it to affect their life.

So these stories allow women to exercise their desire to have the bad boy but not get hurt! Just like a roller Coaster.
    So I believe these songs are very similar in that fashion. I believe they paint an image of a bad boy with the sexy girl in dasiy dukes barefoot and careless drinking whiskey out the bottle, and driving free with no cares.

The woman gets to experience what it is like to be that woman. These images are practly like a model in a "dorritos Commerical". Its embarrassing! But women are obviously relating to them. And I think it is in a subversive way.
    I think they want to see themselves at that girl who can get the sexy bad boy in his truck and be used on a back road by him.
    There is no other way to explain how so many of these songs can contiunue to proliferate if the listeners are not responding to them.
    And in this same "base level - froadean" way, women don't like other women who are prettier or more talented or "competition". So a few is fine, specific types that agian feed a desire to see themselves in them. Taylor / Carrie /Miranda.
    But for the vast majority of others, no. There is no clear image of these women so the female listener is not relating to them,

They really do just want Luke to shake his toosh - Blake to get drunk and treat them poorly - Hunter to be thier bestie -and Eric Church to be the dark mysterious bad guy.

There is not even room anymore for Rascal Flatts. they dont provide any stimulation for this fantasy.

What do you think???

there is almost no other way to explain how in a female dominated format, all yo get is sexist, immoral, male dominated, abuse stories where women are viewed purely as accessories to a males fantasies "and the women love it"!!
    CALEBJOE likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    I think there are some really intersting ideas about "what women want" that could be looked at when we start to talk about "Why, in a format where women are the majority of listeners, are there so few women singing and the male songs are so extremely sexist?"

And I think the issue is with the way the industry interprates what women want. And I think it is working in their favors sadly.

I have a theory about women, ha haha.........
    Women like romance novels and movies. These stories are designed specifically to trigger feelings in women. They are not realistic in any way. They are pure fiction. But they are an ideal of what women want from men and for themselves, and it sells like Crazy!
    The men in are seen as two types, the simpathtic charactor and the Bad Boy. The woman ultimately stays friends with the simpethtic charactor and "changes" the bad boy in to a "perfect mate".

Women love Bad Boys but they can only have them if they can change them, (which is impossible but thats a nother rant).
    But they love the allure, they love th alloftness, they love the danger, even though they don't want it to affect their life.

So these stories allow women to exercise their desire to have the bad boy but not get hurt! Just like a roller Coaster.
    So I believe these songs are very similar in that fashion. I believe they paint an image of a bad boy with the sexy girl in dasiy dukes barefoot and careless drinking whiskey out the bottle, and driving free with no cares.

The woman gets to experience what it is like to be that woman. These images are practly like a model in a "dorritos Commerical". Its embarrassing! But women are obviously relating to them. And I think it is in a subversive way.
    I think they want to see themselves at that girl who can get the sexy bad boy in his truck and be used on a back road by him.
    There is no other way to explain how so many of these songs can contiunue to proliferate if the listeners are not responding to them.
    And in this same "base level - froadean" way, women don't like other women who are prettier or more talented or "competition". So a few is fine, specific types that agian feed a desire to see themselves in them. Taylor / Carrie /Miranda.
    But for the vast majority of others, no. There is no clear image of these women so the female listener is not relating to them,

They really do just want Luke to shake his toosh - Blake to get drunk and treat them poorly - Hunter to be thier bestie -and Eric Church to be the dark mysterious bad guy.

There is not even room anymore for Rascal Flatts. they dont provide any stimulation for this fantasy.

What do you think???

there is almost no other way to explain how in a female dominated format, all yo get is sexist, immoral, male dominated, abuse stories where women are viewed purely as accessories to a males fantasies "and the women love it"!!
    I know not all women will agree with me, perhaps they are more evolved than I am, lol. I think to an extent you got it right. Yes, I would rather watch Luke shake his behind and pretend he is singing to me and live in that little fantasy than listen to SOME of the current females' music. On the flip side of this "fantasy", we do also like the female empowerment songs from Miranda and Carrie about a girl bashing the guys or being that strong woman. Women want to have our cake and eat it too. We want the guy to make us feel sexy and wanted, but we're going to tear him apart when he treats us wrong. (smile) I don't really get into songs like Hart of Dixie. They just don't do it for me. I really don't know what else is out there that females are singing. I have said before that Kacey's music doesn't really do it for me. I like love songs by women pretty well, so I liked the Jana Kramer song that was out and I liked Cassadee Pope's "Wasting all these Tears". I guess I don't really like the inspirational songs or the "family life" songs that much even though I am a mother. Music is an escape for me, something to get lost in, and I don't want hear about my normal life in music, lol. I want to hear about the fantasy or romanticized version, lol. Although I'll admit I was always a fan of Kenny Chesney's song "The Woman with You" that does talk about what she has to do all day, but again the point of that song is that she wants to come home and leave the work day behind and just be his woman.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure about this and I have zero data to back it up, but the country music audience is changing demographics, slowly I think. I think it is changing from that middle-age female demo to more of a frat boy, early twenties male and female demo. They really do see country music as their new party music, I think.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Concert Stars
    I know for me, I love listening to anything country, but some of the music women put out just aren't that interesting or grab people when they listen to it on the radio. Everything that Carrie or Miranda or even Taylor everyone will listen to no doubt and I listen to, but some of the other female artists sometimes can't seem to grab the audience with some of their songs, at least that's my opinion since that's how it happens with me. And I do love Luke and Blake and all the guys or at least most of them on radio so of course I will say I listen to them a lot because I love them and their music, and their music attracts the people and people listen to the songs and love them so they will have better success with their songs on the radio so they get played more because it's requested the most. It's unfortunate the way female artists aren't played a lot if you aren't Miranda or Carrie or Taylor. I like Kacey Musgraves and her music and I loved Sara Evan's recent single Slow Me Down, but it seems like now in days, certain songs attract me and some don't, where as before when I was younger, you heard a lot of female artists on the radio but now it's every so often that you hear a variety of female artists. I know the radio stations around here in Pittsburgh I hear mostly the guys but I still hear female artists quite often, it may not be as often as some people want.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    With all of this said, I think I am going to try to give these new women in country music a chance. I think I'll try to start playing their albums on Spotify and see if I like any of it. I am certainly not opposed to more females on the radio if their music is something worth listening to, but they are going to have to put out some music that will not allow them to be ignored to get radio to give them a chance I am afraid.

Concert Stars
    I agree that people like the party fratboy country pop going on right now, and I totally think it has its place.

I really like "This is How We Roll" I am almost embarrassed to admit. I like the way it sounds and I like the hooky melody. Though I admit I despise some of the lyrics.

And so I think that is the point. You can have all this fratboy party music, but it can be a bit more subtle in its approach toward women as objects. It does not have to be as offensive as it is.

I still think people would respond to it, I still think they would party to it. I think alot of what they like is the sound and the approach to just fun party music.

But the lyrics can be a bit more tasteful and intestesting without taking away the party atmosphere.
    I think in some ways women sacrifice themselves abit by accepting that "Oh, this is just guys for ya". And that is a huge step back from being treated with dignity and respect.
    Having fun, and playing with the idea of women as sexual beings, is very different than being mistreated. A line needs to be drawn, and I think the lyricists should draw that line and they are not.

and its embarrassing and a shame.

I think of the "little joke" blake told at the ACM's about having to "have sex with the same woman over and over and over......." and the camera shot to Miranda being sheepishly dismissive, as if "oh, he is just a guy".

That is not True women!!!!

Men do not actually treat women that way, it is a false sense of reality they are painting, and you should not have to endure the embarrassment of it...........

Oh well, its not my battle.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    AS for more women at radio.

That is as intentional as it is incidental.

Meaning, just because women are buying more male music than female music does not mean the entire industry should focus soley on male music.

that is like having only apples at the farmers market cause people like apples best.

You are missing out on a huge amount of profit with that attitude, but it seems to be the approach they have choosen.
    And yes, it is intention sexism to a certain degree,

Dont fall prey to the idea that it is "all that women want is male music". Thats just plain not true.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    So, has anyone heard any of the albums from some of the latest crop of females? If I am going to listen to some of them on Spotify, with whom should I begin? Keep in mind that I am generally a Mainstream Country fan, but I listen to a wide variety of music and greatly enjoy rock and some pop music, as well as music like Mumford & Sons, Civil Wars, Lumineers, and Imagine Dragons. Also, they don't have to be brand new albums. I have never heard any of Lauren Alaina's music and while I really liked a couple of Kellie Pickler's songs (100 Proof being a favorite) that I heard back when I had Sirius/XM in my car, I still have yet to listen to those albums.

^ I definitely recommend listening to Lauren Alaina's debut album, as well as Kacey Musgraves, Brandy Clark's 12 Stories, Ashley Monroe's Like a Rose, and new artist Abigail Rose's debut EP See Me Now.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Concert Stars
    The thing about me and music, is it is not like I am going to just "support women in music" and go out and buy a bunch of stuff to honor and support that.
    The artists still have to create something I want.

And my buying habits have alway and only been toward something or someone that I really think I am going to have a conection to. I don't buy music to just "play in the back ground of my life" I have to feel like I am buying for a purpose.

Some artists that I have bought pretty much everything;

The Go-Gos's
    The Primitives
    The Voice of the Bee-hive
    The Crannberries
    The B-52's
    10,000 Maniacs
    Alanis Morrisette
    Belinda Carslise
    Carrie Underwood

If you notice almost every one that I have committed to buying their music has had a female lead vocal.
    So I feel like I do support women in music (in spite of the effort some here make to suggest I am a hater of all women excet Carrie).

But I also feel a connection to these people and the voice they use in thier lyrics and in the way they present their messege.
    If you look closely these are also artists that have messeges in their songs. They have pop stuff but they also have pop stuff that is relaying a messege to me. Not just nonsense.

Most of women of country, for me, have beautful voices and are able to commuicate really well with those voices. But choose not to say much except with regard to men and thier simple small town existence.
    And I do think there is still lots of good stuff to say in music about that. But artists like Carrie singing about destroying the sin and horror of her past by allowing a Tornado to completely Blow it Away.... is just really captivating to me.

Where else are you getting anything like that except from someone with a voice that wants to speak! Not just sing.

So I do wait to see who the next "voice" will be that will intrigue me. It could even be Taylor Swift tomorrow. Who knows.
    But someone with something to say, definately. Not just another country song, about why won't he treat me better.

I'm just so done with that.....it holds no interest to me at all.
    lizcarlo likes this.

Concert Stars
    I have said it before and I will alway say it; If Carrie Underwood did not choose the really interestng music that she chooses to sing, I would have lost interest a long time ago.

I am always intrigued to see what she is going to say next in an album.

and when Blown Away had songs like Blown Away and TBC and SYA and WAY, I was once again completely won over.

Enough that I wait with baited breath for the next installment. You see, it is not just Carrie, it is what she is singing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    So, has anyone heard any of the albums from some of the latest crop of females? If I am going to listen to some of them on Spotify, with whom should I begin? Keep in mind that I am generally a Mainstream Country fan, but I listen to a wide variety of music and greatly enjoy rock and some pop music, as well as music like Mumford & Sons, Civil Wars, Lumineers, and Imagine Dragons. Also, they don't have to be brand new albums. I have never heard any of Lauren Alaina's music and while I really liked a couple of Kellie Pickler's songs (100 Proof being a favorite) that I heard back when I had Sirius/XM in my car, I still have yet to listen to those albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post

I don't know if you will them or not but ill try from your description.

You might like

Kelli Pickler The Women I Am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edjh_N_2fr8 Bonnie Clyde
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMZIz7u-2mc Closer to Nowhere
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq0jD-og4XU Little Bit Gypsy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwAmK3N3i9g No Cure for Crazy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nraJkBMDJD8 Someone Somewhere Tonight

Ashley Monroe Like A Rose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2R3WF9u1kA Like A Rose
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aozTyQydcYI You Got Me Now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSdZpFM8gcQ Monroe Suede
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdfqzuQ8j5I Weed Instead of Roses

Sara Jarosz not all her cds are exactly a like.

Sons Up In Your Head: http://www.amazon.com/Song-Her-Head-...s=sara+jaorosz

Follow Me Down: Amazon.com: Follow Me Down: Music

Build Me Up From Bones: Amazon.com: Build Me Up From Bones: Music

Holly Williams:

The Highway: Amazon.com: The Highway: Music

The Secret Sisters

Put Your Needle Down: Amazon.com: Put Your Needle Down: Music

Della Mae

This World Oft Can Be : Amazon.com: This World Oft Can Be: Music

Roseanna Cash

The River and the Thread: Amazon.com: The River & The Thread (LTD. ED. DELUXE): Music

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've really been meaning to listen to them for a while and since I can listen to most of them for free on Spotify, I will start there. If I like what I hear, I might consider purchasing an album or two to support the artist. I feel like I really do need to listen to Kacey's album and give her another chance. I didn't like her first two singles at all, and I've only heard Follow Your Arrow once maybe (is that the one she performed at the Grammy's?) and haven't heard the new single at all. I don't know that I will like or appreciate her music, but I'll give it a chance I guess.

[QUOTE]
    The thing about me and music, is it is not like I am going to just "support women in music" and go out and buy a bunch of stuff to honor and support that.
    The artists still have to create something I want.

And my buying habits have alway and only been toward something or someone that I really think I am going to have a conection to. I don't buy music to just "play in the back ground of my life" I have to feel like I am buying for a purpose.

Some artists that I have bought pretty much everything;

The Go-Gos's
    The Primitives
    The Voice of the Bee-hive
    The Crannberries
    The B-52's
    10,000 Maniacs
    Alanis Morrisette
    Belinda Carslise
    Carrie Underwood

If you notice almost every one that I have committed to buying their music has had a female lead vocal.
    So I feel like I do support women in music (in spite of the effort some here make to suggest I am a hater of all women excet Carrie).

But I also feel a connection to these people and the voice they use in thier lyrics and in the way they present their messege.
    If you look closely these are also artists that have messeges in their songs. They have pop stuff but they also have pop stuff that is relaying a messege to me. Not just nonsense.[/url]
    I agree. I don't like music unless I have connection. I like males in music. For some reason, I listen to more modern males in country than other genres. Its just most of them are unground. The mainstream ones I like are Dierks Bentley and Zac Brown Band. Ryan Adams in general is one of my favorite artist and writers. This song was the first I heard of him. Emmylou Harris sang the background vocals. Its still one of my favorite songs from him. I think it always will be. This song touches me so deeply.

[/url]Most of women of country, for me, have beautful voices and are able to commuicate really well with those voices. But choose not to say much except with regard to men and thier simple small town existence.
    And I do think there is still lots of good stuff to say in music about that. But artists like Carrie singing about destroying the sin and horror of her past by allowing a Tornado to completely Blow it Away.... is just really captivating to me. Where else are you getting anything like that except from someone with a voice that wants to speak! Not just sing.[/url]
    That's fascinating to me as well. She is very good storyteller through her singing and writing. She has other songs like Jesus Take the Wheel, Temporary Home, See You Again, and Just A Dream that is about different subjects that tells story about real stuff that happens to people. She has many more that are not even singles. She did more modern murder ballad with Two Black Cadillac's. She does not pigeonhole herself in her expression for music.
    pklongbeach likes this.

I like all the different flavors country offers. I wish mainstream would reflect that with women and men. I don't see a reason why Kellie and so many other women cant be in mainstream. They can put them on radio and promote them like crazy. How is that hard concept or are they just being lazy? It just seems like they promote them a little bit, give them the shaft on radio and don't put in much effort, then except them to become mainstream from that kind of exposure. That's is unfair to those artists.

•  
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast