• 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 4 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach
  • 1 Post By AdamJ

Thread: Kira Isabella [untitled] 2nd album era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Kira Isabella [untitled] 2nd album era

Fans may recall that Kira opened for the Canadian leg of Carrie's "Blown Away" tour. Her 2012 debut album "Love Me Like That" was released by Sony to the Canadan market, and she is currently the reigning CCMA Female Artist of the Year

A new album is expected at an unspecified date later this year, and Kira said recently that about five vocal tracks are ready so far. This album is intended to be her US market debut.

The lead single "Quarterback" is attracting considerable interest. I don't yet have information on the writers (there are several songs registered with this title, with Rivers Rutherford being probably the best known possible name)
    Jason (gaycarebear) confirms that the song was earlier intended as a possible cut for Carrie herself.

The song's impact comes from the fact that it delivers a strong message about college sexual stereotypes, the often unequal consequences of a first sexual encounter, and the bullying and public shame that can still be associated with a girl's loss of reputation.
    In the broad sense, the song's message has a general force for attitudes in our society - but in a narrower sense, it can be said to have a particular relevance to the current debate about the over-use of male "feel good" party songs in Mainstream Country. Although incidental to the main message, several of the "bro" cliche's do occur in the lyric (bonfire party, truck, alcohol, sexual innuendo). However, the song's punchline, about the "special memories" of the "girl's first time" being ruined by the posting of pictures on the internet, takes the bullying message considerably further into social commentary.

I've generally been a critic of the overuse of repetitive chorus lines at the expense of verse development - but in this song I think the device is justifiable, since it emphasizes the shock and the vulnerability of the mere "Freshman" whom no one wants to believe, against the dominant entitlement of the popular Quarterback "hero".
    The music is also interesting. It has a "power track" contemporary radio feel, but this is not forced at the expense of some well chosen instrumental backing. An insistent marching beat is used in several passages - and this both reflects the girl's role in the marching band, and her mounting sense of excitement , coupled with the mood of inevitability suggested by the story-line. This is interspersed with more lyrical string passages from guitar and low register bow, probably a cello.

I think the song deserves a wide hearing, and its message could be one that strikes a chord for many. But how far current radio will embrace it remains to be seen.

Concert Stars
    I read this on Windmills twitter posts yesterday....and the reason it was kept from Carrie ever getting to hear it. I really like the song! I thought that was probably better in the long run, but Windmills felt otherwise.

Junior Carrie Follower Inspired's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    I read this on Windmills twitter posts yesterday....and the reason it was kept from Carrie ever getting to hear it. I really like the song! I thought that was probably better in the long run, but Windmills felt otherwise.
    What were the reasons that were suggested?

Quarterback is amazing. Apparently they are trying to break Kira into the US market with this song, as the latest Billboard Country Update calls it her first US single. The song was written by Rivers Rutherford ("When I Get Where I'm Going," "Ain't Nothing 'Bout You"), Bobby Hamrick and Marti Dodson (formerly of the rock band Saving Jane). The song was originally written in first-person perspective, but Kira and her producer urged the writers to switch it to third-person narrative.

The writers indeed had Carrie in mind when first pitching the song:

The top choice was Carrie Underwood, who has tackled tough subjects in “Blown Away” and “Temporary Home.” But one of her associates declined to pass it along, correctly recognizing that Underwood’s history with Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo made “Quarterback” inappropriate for her.
    http://www1.billboard.biz/bbbiz/phot...CU_mw_0417.pdf
    Farawayhills and rainbow1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    But one of her associates declined to pass it along, correctly recognizing that Underwood’s history with Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo made “Quarterback” inappropriate for her.
    Well, Carrie does operate professionally in a world were celebrity gossip columns have a big impact with some listeners, so perhaps this past Romo connection would have come back to haunt her, if she'd used the song.

But, be that as it may, if the story is accurate, I find it rather disappointing that decisions on what Carrie should even consider for an album appear to be taken by "associates". I can understand the need for "gatekeepers" to filter messages, presents, meet requests, journalists' enquiries, etc. - but a song from someone with the reputation and standing of Rivers Rutherford is hardly equivalent to a random hopeful sending in an unknown demo. I'd prefer Carrie to be taking that sort of decision in person.

^ True. I'd rather Carrie herself had been able to make that decision, rather than "one of her associates".

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quarterback has been available since March 25 in Canada and April 1 in the USA. It is charting at No. 30 on Billboard Canada Country Airplay.
    The song sounds very good. I like it so much
    Last edited by IdolCarrieAlwaysShines; 04-18-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    ^ True. I'd rather Carrie herself had been able to make that decision, rather than "one of her associates".
    At first, I'd thought that the decision not to pass the song on to Carrie for her for consideration might have applied to some earlier stage of her career - perhaps nearer to the actual Romo situation, when she was briefly involved in some tabloid feather ruffling by Jessica Simpson - or, at least, at a stage of her career when her A & R team might consider her less experienced in song choices.
    However, the article says that the song was written as recently as Sept 2013 - so the writers' preference for Carrie as first choice would have meant potential inclusion on the upcoming album. By this stage, I would have expected Carrie to be much less reliant on associates in the area of potential song consideration - especially when the writers are well known, or when the subject matter stands out as strong and unusual.

As it is, I think this could amount to a missed opportunity - both for Carrie, in the sense of losing strong material, which is likely to provoke attention and debate, and for the song itself in missing exposure by one of the most high profile singers in the format.

However, none of this should detract from admiration for Kira. I'm proud of her for not avoiding the potentially difficult subject, in what is effectively a market debut, and I wish her every success with this timely and significant song

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    You had better rate Kira's Quarterback on Taste of Country
    Rate Kira Isabella's Quarterback

The music video for quarterback is on youtube, unfortunately it isn't available to watch in the States so Canadians enjoy

Concert Stars
    Wow, yes pretty deep water to tread in.
    Not because of the subject matter itself. I think it is important and certainly relevant to women (and to men, in order to understand women).
    But to make a choice as a lead single, against a tide of subject matter that almost makes a mockery of the idea of being objectified and used for a males own devices.

How the two could co-habitate I am not sure. I am affraid radio programmers are going to wonder the same thing.

The problem is that in a male dominated envioment like country music you must make it clear that the guy is a "bad guy". Therefore all the actions taken by women against them is justifiable "to other men". But if men start to se themselves in the problem, I am affraid they are not going to stand for that.
    AKOK I think struggled cause it called out the idea of intolerance, and intolerance is prevailant in this industry, therefore to point it out is not going to go well. Also Follow Your Arrow is a song that points directly at issues that this industry struggles with from the inside, so again, its just not going to be embraced.

Quarterback, takes the Kenny Chesney song of playing on the football team and rememering the Glory, and turning it into a date-rape nightmare!
    I honestly can not see this industry accepting this. Again, the white hats and the black hats are not defined well enough.
    It blurs too close to reality for a male dominated industry like Country.

On another note, I do accept that the song might have had too close an association to Carrie with her dating a famous quarterback, but I still think the story coming out that she was never even allowed to see it, is disturbing to her reputation as a willful, self actualized Artist, who makes her own decissions.

Concert Stars
    I think it was not right for Carrie anyway. But I don't like the way it went down. and even if Carrie had recorded it, it would never have seen the light of day as a single.....jmo
    txacar likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I think Carrie should have gotten the chance to hear the song, however, knowing Carrie the way we do, I don't think she would have touched the song at all because of Romo and the gossip that was circulating in the tabloids. I can just imagine the tabloid frenzy that would have erupted if she had recorded the song.
    bluetb4 likes this.

Quarterback is being released as a single in the States on May 19.

Huge Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Quarterback fits Carrie's vocals better, it irks me that Kira doesn't really enunciate everything! Carrie could have killed it as a powerful ballad! Would have fit in with BA, IMO! And I think if Carrie had seen the song and recorded it, then it would have been a single, because it is a very powerful track.

Carrie Guru
    I was very impressed with Kira when she opened for Carrie. I hope she finds success in the US market.

•