Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By txacar

Thread: Jerrod Niemann - High Noon Era

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Jerrod Niemann - High Noon Era

I see that Jerrod Niemann's new album High Noon came out yesterday, but I really started this thread to talk about his latest single, "Drink to that All Night".

First, let me say that while I have been a very casual Jerrod fan, I adore his voice. Most on here know that I am a big David Nail fan, but I think Jerrod's voice could possibly rival David's in the best male singer category. I think "Lover, Lover" and "What Do You Want" are two of the best songs to ever grace country music, but I admit that I didn't keep up much with his music after that. I even liked "One More Drinking Song" because of the melody and tempo and the fact that it can kinda make fun of itself for being yet another song about drinking. It seems that his last album and singles didn't do as well, so I guess Jerrod felt the need to conform to what is popular on country radio today, which leads me to my topic of discussion.

I wanted to cringe when I heard DTTAN on the radio. It's not because the song isn't catchy or good or different, but all I could think was that Jerrod was caving to bro-country. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE some bro-country and I think it does have it's place on country radio and for a certain audience. However, there have always been those artists that you could count on to do something just a little bit different and I really thought Jerrod was one of them. I have heard the song twice on the radio now and it seems like the beginning has some sort of filter on Jerrod's voice. I don't know whether to call the song progressive or just a flat out pop song. It seems to have gone so far the other direction, sounding even less country than bro-country, which I guess for the most part still sounds country or country rock anyway. I just wanted to hear others' opinions on the song. I love Jerrod's voice, much as I love David Nail's voice, and I just really wanted to see these two continue to do something different. I just hate that Jerrod might have gotten pushed into a direction he didn't want to go (and maybe he did and I am wrong) because his last album and singles didn't do well. I guess at least David got a #1 song on his last album, so maybe he was allowed to continue being David (albeit a slightly happier, more uptempo David), but since Jerrod didn't have success with the last album he had to change his tune, literally.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    A few interesting notes to further discussion on this. I do wonder about the album sales of Jerrod's first two albums. On Wiki (who knows when it was last updated) it has that Jerrod and the Hung Jury (featuring LL, WDYW, and OMDS) sold around 328,000. For his second album, it only has his first week sales which were 8,000 (ouch). LL did go platinum and WDYW did go gold, but those are his only certified singles.

Anyway, he is on the Sea Gayle label, which is apparently co-owned by Brad Paisley and a couple of songwriters (Chris DuBois and Frank somebody). Jerrod was the first artist they signed. I find it hard to believe that Brad and company would force anyone to do bro-country or to change their sound if they didn't want to, but Sea Gayle is an "imprint" of Arista Nashville, so perhaps the higher ups at Arista or Sony have input as well. Anyway, just food for thought. Perhaps I am just not familiar enough with Jerrod's entire catalog of work to know if DTTAN is really that different for him, but it just seemed like it was really pop sounding to me.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    A few interesting notes to further discussion on this. I do wonder about the album sales of Jerrod's first two albums. On Wiki (who knows when it was last updated) it has that Jerrod and the Hung Jury (featuring LL, WDYW, and OMDS) sold around 328,000. For his second album, it only has his first week sales which were 8,000 (ouch). LL did go platinum and WDYW did go gold, but those are his only certified singles.

Anyway, he is on the Sea Gayle label, which is apparently co-owned by Brad Paisley and a couple of songwriters (Chris DuBois and Frank somebody). Jerrod was the first artist they signed. I find it hard to believe that Brad and company would force anyone to do bro-country or to change their sound if they didn't want to, but Sea Gayle is an "imprint" of Arista Nashville, so perhaps the higher ups at Arista or Sony have input as well. Anyway, just food for thought. Perhaps I am just not familiar enough with Jerrod's entire catalog of work to know if DTTAN is really that different for him, but it just seemed like it was really pop sounding to me.
    Lover, Lover is R&B/Rock song originally recorded (2006) by Sonia Dada. Can't speak to what is normal for Jerrod -- LL and WDYW are the only ones I've heard.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

•