• 1 Post By Kizmet311
  • 1 Post By hjj
  • 2 Post By CarrieFaninAZ
  • 1 Post By Audra

Thread: David Nail - I'm a Fire Era

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

David Nail - I'm a Fire Era

Has anyone else picked up David's new album yet? I pre-ordered it and listened to all of it between yesterday and today, but I haven't really been able to sit down and listen to it closely yet. I do like WSG and I'm glad that it went to #1 for him, but as I was listening (distracted listening, though) to this new album, it just didn't seem to reach out and grab me like his first two. I loved his first album and there were some amazing non-singles on there and then the first time I heard TSOAMD album I absolutely fell in love. I'm a Fire seems kinda bland compared to his last album. I'm hoping it was just because I was not paying close attention to it, because I love David and I feel like he is grossly underrated and underplayed on the radio.

He does have a duet or song featuring Little Big Town on the album and a duet with Leann Womack (who also did Songs for Sale with him on TSOAMD). There is a strong female background vocalist on this album and I'm going to have to research further, but I think it may be Sarah Buxton again, as she frequently sings backup for him.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Well, I may end up having a discussion with myself in this thread, lol, but here are some links to review of the album. I definitely need to keep listening. I think it just threw me off because it is a little bit different than his first two albums, but still David. Some of the reviews mention that there is less piano and more guitar than his last album and that is probably why I was so drawn to TSOAMD - I loved the piano and I do like his slower tempo, "sadder" music because it is just beautiful. I read an article about him struggling with depression and he is finally in a better place with that and wanted this new album to reflect where he is now and how happy he is, so I won't begrudge him some mid or uptempo songs. Regardless of whether or not I come to love this album as much as his first two, I will remain a fan and be a big supporter and thankful to him for making music that is so different from what is on country radio today. Plus, his voice is amazing.

Keep It Country Kids: David Nail "I'm A Fire" Album Review

Album Review: David Nail - I'm A Fire | Country Music Reviews, Taylor Swift to Lady Antebellum | Roughstock.com

David Nail: I?m A Fire | Country Update: Australia's National Country Music Magazine

I'm a Fire - David Nail | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Album Spotlight: David Nail, ?I?m a Fire? - ToC Critic's Pick

David Nail - I'm A Fire - Music News Nashville

I?m a Fire by David Nail - Country Weekly

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mus...campaign=sm_tw

David Nail ?I?m A Fire? ? Album Review | For The Country Record

CD Reviews: Lea Michele; Schoolboy Q; Pharrell Williams; Eli Young Band; Fuel; Drive-By Truckers; David Nail; Ava Luna

This next one isn't so much a review, but does include the tracklisting and writers of the songs if anyone is interested.

David Nail Set To Release New Album :: News ::antiMusic.com
    Farawayhills likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    Has anyone else picked up David's new album yet? I pre-ordered it and listened to all of it between yesterday and today, but I haven't really been able to sit down and listen to it closely yet. I do like WSG and I'm glad that it went to #1 for him, but as I was listening (distracted listening, though) to this new album, it just didn't seem to reach out and grab me like his first two. I loved his first album and there were some amazing non-singles on there and then the first time I heard TSOAMD album I absolutely fell in love. I'm a Fire seems kinda bland compared to his last album. I'm hoping it was just because I was not paying close attention to it, because I love David and I feel like he is grossly underrated and underplayed on the radio.

He does have a duet or song featuring Little Big Town on the album and a duet with Leann Womack (who also did Songs for Sale with him on TSOAMD). There is a strong female background vocalist on this album and I'm going to have to research further, but I think it may be Sarah Buxton again, as she frequently sings backup for him.
    Quoting myself to say that the main background vocalist is Aubrie Sellers, who is apparently Leann Womack's daughter. Sarah Buxton is also listed as a background vocalist, but I am not sure which tracks.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Thanks for the links, Kizmet.

I haven't yet had a chance to explore it in full - but I'd recommend this album to anyone who's looking for a male vocal collection that is often a welcome contrast to the prevailing "dirt road party" feel of much of the current radio fare - but which definitely doesn't lose Mainstream accessibility. On what I have heard, it contains some thoughtful lyrics, sung with passion, and backed up by some interesting music with a contemporary feel, which doesn't fall short on ideas. It deserves to get some good airtime exposure.

As you say, one track, "When They're Gone", involves support from Little Big Town, and it includes definite links to their sound, with some strong twangy music that manages to bridge contemporary taste with roots influence. This is one of a category of "thoughtful nostalgia" songs, which Country Music often does well (For comparison you could include Carrie's "Thank God For Hometowns", Miranda's "Automatic" and Lady A's "American Honey" as other examples of the broad theme. As with the best of the type it includes hints of regret at passing memories)

I was also interested in "Burnin' Bed", a mature song about a passionate relationship. Brandy Clark and Shane McAnally co-wrote this - and it's an example of what they might produce for an artist with a more Mainstream career focus. This particular song would probably work better for a male singer, but I'd also like to see what sort of theme they might come up with if they worked with Carrie on an album today.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for commenting! I was afraid I might be talking to myself on this thread. You are the person I was hoping most would give me your opinion, because I love hearing your analyses of country music. For anyone wanting to listen before they might purchase the album, I think it is on Spotify.
    Farawayhills likes this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Thanks I will give it a listen.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Concert Stars
    Glad to see a thread pop up on this. I've enjoyed David since he opened for Carrie back in the day and I first heard Red Light. Definitely a top-notch, if not the best, male vocalist in contemporary country today. Really like him because, as I think you mentioned, he tends to have more meaningful, nostalgic, and sadder songs on his albums, which are right up my alley.

I'm A Fire definitely did not disappoint, there's some real gems on there. Really enjoying Burnin' Bed and, especially, The Secret. a very interesting Southern-Gothic style song that I still can't really figure out the story too. Hopefully David starts getting more attention. Every album I think he will, and with WSG's success, I'm still confident it'll happen this time.
    Farawayhills and Kizmet311 like this.

Concert Stars
    I've always liked David Nail and he's still probably the top male country singer I'd like to hear duet with Carrie. He's a great vocalist. Though from what I've heard his live performances typically differ from his studio recordings, and not in a good way. he doesn't sound bad live, it just seems like he doesn't try going for the big notes when he probably could and seems to opt for runs instead.

On the first - few - listens, I really like Burnin' Bed, Brand New Day, and of course Kiss You Tonight, and The Secret, Counting Cars, and I'm a Fire are quite good too. I've usually really liked songs where he has a really prominent female vocalist, like Let it Rain and Strangers on a Train, so I'm glad he continued that trend on this album too. I'm also glad he didn't adopt "bro-country."

My pick for singles:
    Whatever She's Got
    Kiss You Tonight
    Burnin' Bed
    Counting Cars or I'm a Fire
    Brand New Day or The Secret
    Last edited by The Nanook; 03-08-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    I've always liked David Nail and he's still probably the top male country singer I'd like to hear duet with Carrie. He's a great vocalist. Though from what I've heard his live performances typically differ from his studio recordings, and not in a good way. he doesn't sound bad live, it just seems like he doesn't try going for the big notes when he probably could and seems to opt for runs instead.

On the first - few - listens, I really like Burnin' Bed, Brand New Day, and of course Kiss You Tonight, and The Secret, Counting Cars, and I'm a Fire are quite good too. I've usually really liked songs where he has a really prominent female vocalist, like Let it Rain and Strangers on a Train, so I'm glad he continued that trend on this album too. I'm also glad he didn't adopt "bro-country."

My pick for singles:
    Whatever She's Got
    Kiss You Tonight
    Burnin' Bed
    Counting Cars or I'm a Fire
    Brand New Day or The Secret
    You may have already known this when you posted this, but just to let everyone else know, "Kiss You Tonight" was confirmed as the second single right after WSG hit #1 and a few days before the album came out I think.

I've been able to listen to the album through a couple more times and it really is a grower. I think I'm going to love it, but I just have to get used to David singing more uptempo music. I also love the prominence of the female vocalists he uses in the background. It complements his voice so well and they are some talented ladies.

As for David's live performances, I have never been disappointed when seeing him live. I've always thought that, like Carrie, he is one of the few artists that sound just as good live. I've seen him in a variety of venues from a 24,000 seat arena opening for Taylor Swift to a Minor League Baseball Stadium, a club, and a small capacity theater. He sounded good in all of them, at least to me.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Just wanted to say I've still been listening and the album really is amazing. Burnin' Bed and I'm A Fire are the ones that keep getting stuck in my head. I am also in love with Aubrie's voice. She really does sound like her mother.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieFaninAZ View Post
    Glad to see a thread pop up on this. I've enjoyed David since he opened for Carrie back in the day and I first heard Red Light. Definitely a top-notch, if not the best, male vocalist in contemporary country today. Really like him because, as I think you mentioned, he tends to have more meaningful, nostalgic, and sadder songs on his albums, which are right up my alley.

I'm A Fire definitely did not disappoint, there's some real gems on there. Really enjoying Burnin' Bed and, especially, The Secret. a very interesting Southern-Gothic style song that I still can't really figure out the story too. Hopefully David starts getting more attention. Every album I think he will, and with WSG's success, I'm still confident it'll happen this time.
    From what I have read, I think the Secret is basically him attending the funeral of a former love. I think she has stayed in their hometown and married someone else, but that she may have had the narrator's child (unsure of whether that was before or after she was married, but I'm assuming after). So he is basically reminiscing about what could have been, although it seems their affair and that the child was his was a secret.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Ok, I want every single person on this forum who has every complained about bro country to go buy David's new album NOW! Seriously, though, I just read an article from yesterday that says he has only sold 40,000 copies since he debuted on March 4th. That is just said to me. He is such an amazing artist.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Haha. It is probably better that we talk about him here. It is the first album I've bought of his. I love the closing track with Lee Ann Womack, The Secret and Burning Bed. There is a lot of diversity on here so there might be a little bit of something for everyone. Also interesting to note is one of the writers on his new single Kiss You Tonight is David Cook, Season 7 winner of American Idol.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gocountrymusic View Post
    Haha. It is probably better that we talk about him here. It is the first album I've bought of his. I love the closing track with Lee Ann Womack, The Secret and Burning Bed. There is a lot of diversity on here so there might be a little bit of something for everyone. Also interesting to note is one of the writers on his new single Kiss You Tonight is David Cook, Season 7 winner of American Idol.
    They have the Missouri connection, so I wonder if that is why. I had seen David Cook's name on the credits for that and thought it was cool. I certainly can't blame David (Nail) for choosing the most commercially viable songs for singles. I actually like KYT better than WSG. Burnin Bed is probably my favorite, The Secret is amazing, and I'm a Fire stays stuck in my head after I hear it. Apparently that one is for his wife. He wrote Catherine on his last album for her, and I loved that song. Will Hoge did some great background vocals for it.

I've been thinking about posting links to vevo or youtube of some of my favorite David songs in this thread. As much as I do like/love his new album, some of his older material was just incredible. You might like some of it. Did you get to hear Sound of a Million Dreams? I don't think it broke top 40, so I didn't know if you ever heard it. It's a beautiful piano tune, co-written by Phil Vassar, who used to sing some good country music himself.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    You know, I just realized that posting links to my favorite David Nail songs is going to be harder than I think, lol. Most of them are not his singles so finding quality you tube videos won't be easy. I'll just list my faves and maybe you can check them out if you haven't heard them already. I do like mellow music, so I was always drawn to his ballads.

Memphis is a great song from his unreleased album. I don't have it and I don't even know how I can buy it, but I think it is on Youtube.

From his first album my favorites are everything except Mississippi, Looking for a Good Time, and This Time Around (my least favorite). So, pretty much the entire album is fantastic, lol. It made no sense to list my favorites when they were all favorites. Those three are still good, but the ones I would most likely skip over. I guess my ABSOLUTE favorites are I'm About to Come Alive, Clouds, Turning Home, and Missouri.

From The Sound of A Million Dreams my favorites are Catch You While I Can, Half Mile Hill, That's How I'll Remember You, and the title track. Grandpa's Farm is one to skip, and Desiree is one I skip frequently as well. It is a cover of a song Keith Urban did when he was a member of The Ranch (I think that was the name). The rest of the songs are pretty amazing to, but the four I mentioned are just amazing, especially Half Mile Hill and TSOAMD. If you like piano drive songs, listen to the version of those two on his 1979 EP - they are even better than the regular album tracks. I have to love "That's How I'll Remember You", because he mentions her being an Eastern Kentucky girl and I was born pretty much as far east in KY as you can get, so the lyrics feel personal.

Finally, if you haven't heard it, you must - his cover of Adele's "Someone Like You", also on his 1979 EP. The man is just amazing.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    They have the Missouri connection, so I wonder if that is why. I had seen David Cook's name on the credits for that and thought it was cool. I certainly can't blame David (Nail) for choosing the most commercially viable songs for singles. I actually like KYT better than WSG. Burnin Bed is probably my favorite, The Secret is amazing, and I'm a Fire stays stuck in my head after I hear it. Apparently that one is for his wife. He wrote Catherine on his last album for her, and I loved that song. Will Hoge did some great background vocals for it.

I've been thinking about posting links to vevo or youtube of some of my favorite David songs in this thread. As much as I do like/love his new album, some of his older material was just incredible. You might like some of it. Did you get to hear Sound of a Million Dreams? I don't think it broke top 40, so I didn't know if you ever heard it. It's a beautiful piano tune, co-written by Phil Vassar, who used to sing some good country music himself.
    The Missouri connection could be a factor and also David Cook moved to Nashville around maybe 2 years ago now?? I can't exactly remember when he moved, but he moved to Nashville from LA since he didn't really like the LA scene and loved Nashville and it's closer to his parents and family.
    Kizmet311 likes this.

•