• 4 Post By gaycarebear
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 3 Post By carrie admirer
  • 3 Post By carrie admirer

Thread: Female song-type preferences

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Female song-type preferences

Not a very helpful title, I know - but I'd like to explain what I'm hoping for.

I'll always be grateful to this Board - I've learnt a lot here, and I'm thankful for the welcome I've received, coming, as I do, from a different musical background. (I think the only person I met here who fully shared that type of Country Music background left long ago)
    What does strike me is that many of us have interesting, but often quite different, hopes and likings for the general direction that they'd like to see Carrie develop, and in particular the different types of song that they might like to see on a future album. I'd find it interesting to explore what different hopes fans might have.

What I'm suggesting is that anyone interested might like to post a title (or preferably a video) of a type of song (not a cover of the exact one) that they'd hope to see Carrie develop.

To keep it simple, I'm suggesting that we keep it broadly contemporary (say about the last 15 years) - use mainly female examples (though you can include a male example if you think the type would really suit her) - and avoid the complication of whether or not it would be a single (just album suggestions). It would be more helpful to think of different examples, rather than just picking one of Carrie's own previous favourites.

To start off, I'll post one that I consider a near-perfect Country song. I hope to add others gradually - but I'd love others to join in with their choices or discussion.

This is Matraca Berg, with one of her writing gems, "Oh, Cumberland" - and, yes, that's the seemingly timeless Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (of "May the Circle Be Unbroken" and "Bless the Broken Road" fame) Matraca is married to Jeff Hanna, the band's leader.

She did the dark theme on Blown Away. I'm happy she did this on BA. She always does family and inspirational ballads. With those type of songs, id also like to add these:

Holly Williams - Drinkin' Official Video - YouTube Holly Williams Drinkin

Holly Williams, "Waiting On June" - YouTube Holly Williams Waiting On June

Rachel Brooke - "Only For You" - YouTube Rachel Brooke Only for You

Sarah Jarosz {{Annabelle Lee}} - YouTube Sara Jarosz Annabelle Lee

Sarah Jarosz - Broussard's Lament - YouTube Sara Jarosz Broussard's Lament

Sarah Jarosz - Tell Me True - YouTube Sara Jarosz Tell Me True

The Trishas "Trouble About My Soul" - YouTube The Trisha's Trouble About My Soul

Miranda Lambert - Oklahoma Sky [Lyrics On Screen] - YouTubeMiranda Lambert Oklahoma Sky

Ashley Monroe - Monroe Suede [Lyrics On Screen] - YouTube Ashley Monroe Monroe Suede
    Last edited by lizcarlo; 01-30-2014 at 10:29 PM.
    Farawayhills likes this.

I really like the song you posted.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Concert Stars
    The first one I thought of was Trisha Yearwoods ...Dreaming Fields. I've always loved Beth Nielsen Chapman's....All I Have
    lizcarlo and Farawayhills like this.

Liz Carlo, absolutely YES to Holly Williams. I would love for Carrie to explore more roots-type country, especially "The Highway." Fantastic song.

Hmm. I'll have to think on this one and come back with some ideas.
    lizcarlo and Farawayhills like this.

Concert Stars

The simplicity of the melody coupled with the intensity of the lyric make for a spellbinding combination when the singer is the type that can hold the audiences attention.
    I would love for Carrie be be able to sing in a way that most pleases her own soul. I believe that she is under the assumption that the world wants her to scream at the top of her voice all the time.
    And that is far from the truth for me.
    The songs of hers that mean the most to me are the ones that she is allowed to sing of her faith and understanding of hope.
    This is where, I believe, the true spirit of her voice comes out.

Thanks to everyone for replying. Please keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    The first one I thought of was Trisha Yearwoods ...Dreaming Fields. I've always loved Beth Nielsen Chapman's....All I Have
    Dreaming Fields is another Matraca sing! And Trisha is a good act to bear in mind - she's a great judge of thoughtful songs!

This is another one, that I think would show maturity and depth, and may also please Carrie's more General Music focused fans

rainbow1 and lizcarlo like this.

I did a feature for Popdust today of 10 songs Carrie should cover. They're mostly mainstream choices (b/c of Popdust's target audience) but I would LOVE for her to explore some of the styles represented her.

I included songs like "Don't Toss Us Away" by Patty Loveless, George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today" and "Harper Valley PTA" by Jeannie C Riley.

Fan Friday: 10 Songs Carrie Underwood Should Cover - Popdust

Overall, I would love Carrie to explore the Patty Loveless-style of singing, presentation. Years and years before Carrie, Patty was my idol. She's still one of my all time favorite vocalists ever.

I agree 100% about Patty Loveless, Jason. The stylistic transitions she's handled in her career would alone suggest an object lesson in how to deal with the changing opportunities that this format unfortunately seems to impose on women as they mature.

"Strawberry Wine", by the way is yet another Matraca Berg song. The times she's turned up so far suggest that Carrie could certainly consider writing something with her soon!
    rainbow1, lizcarlo and gaycarebear like this.

I bet not many have thought of Carrie as a "Roadhouse" singer. But it's probably the closest modern progressive female singers are likely to go to honky tonk influence.

This is Kim Richey

lizcarlo, rainbow1 and gaycarebear like this.

Huge Carrie Follower

Huge Carrie Follower

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" - YouTube Alison Krauss and Robert Plant Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - "Trampled Rose" - YouTube Alison Krauss and Robert Plant Trampled Rose

Alison Krauss Scarlet Tide - YouTube Alison Krauss Scarlet Tide

"HEART OF THE WOOD" by Joey+Rory - YouTube Joey and Rory Heart of the Wood

Joey + Rory - That's Important To Me - YouTube Joey and Rory Thats Important to Me

The Secret Sisters - Tomorrow will be kinder - 22 March 2012 - YouTube The Secret Sisters Tomorrow Will Be Kinder

The Secret Sisters - Tennessee Me - YouTube The Secret Sisters Tennessee Me

Daughter's Lament (Lyrics) The Hunger Games Sountrack - YouTube The Carolina Choclate Drops Daughter Lament

Alan Jackson - Blue Side Of Heaven - YouTube Alan Jackson Blue Side of Heaven

Wayfaring Stranger - Jack White - YouTube Jack White Wayfaring Stranger

Jack White - Sittin' on top of the world - YouTube Jack White Sittin on Top of the World

•