Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree342Likes

Thread: Grammy's 2014 Who will be the winners in the country categories??

Huge Carrie Follower

Grammy's 2014 Who will be the winners in the country categories??

None of my favorite country artists (Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, Zac Brown Band, Sheryl Crow) was nominated for any Grammy awards this year...
    But Who do YOU think will be the winners in the country categories??
    Personally I wish the awards for Best Country Album, Best Country Song and Best country solo performance will go to Blake Shelton... I think Best country song and Best country solo performance will go either To Blake Or Miranda just because there is a trend in the last years that the winner of those two categories to be the same for the same performer...
    Also i'd like to ask how come an album like taylor swift's latest album which contains 3 pop songs be nominated as Best country album and not under the category of Best Pop album...
    I think that when an album gets nominated in the category of album of the year, it is a hint that will also win in its genre category (e.g pop, country ,rock)...Therefore can we assume that the award for best country album will go to Taylor just because she got the nomination in the category of album of the year?? I think there are more worth-winning albums than that , that should win best country album...

Concert Stars
    This year's Grammys is boring as hell. Seriously. Only a few people are performing that remotely interest me. I am so over Taylor and her so-called country nominations, as well as performing every year. Annoying.

I will post my predictions for winners soon. I just need to get it together.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Country Album- Red
    Duo/Group Performance- Highway Don't Care, blah
    Solo Performance- Mama's Broken Heart or Wagon Wheel
    Country Song- Merry Go Round, meh

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carrie admirer View Post
    None of my favorite country artists (Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, Zac Brown Band, Sheryl Crow) was nominated for any Grammy awards this year...
    But Who do YOU think will be the winners in the country categories??
    Personally I wish the awards for Best Country Album, Best Country Song and Best country solo performance will go to Blake Shelton... I think Best country song and Best country solo performance will go either To Blake Or Miranda just because there is a trend in the last years that the winner of those two categories to be the same for the same performer...
    Also i'd like to ask how come an album like taylor swift's latest album which contains 3 pop songs be nominated as Best country album and not under the category of Best Pop album...
    I think that when an album gets nominated in the category of album of the year, it is a hint that will also win in its genre category (e.g pop, country ,rock)...Therefore can we assume that the award for best country album will go to Taylor just because she got the nomination in the category of album of the year?? I think there are more worth-winning albums than that , that should win best country album...
    "Red" certainly does contain three very Pop-leaning tracks from the Martin/Shellback stable in Sweden. At least two of those have been singles (maybe all have) They have coloured perception of the album as a whole - but I think that's misleading. I wouldn't classify most of the album as Pop - e.g the Jeff Bhasker songs certainly aren't, the Dan Wilson songs probably aren't, and the two British/Irish collaborations are closer to modern Progressive Folk. It would be quite difficult to classify the album on a genre basis (which is actually one of its strengths). Taylor Swift might not like it being called "Alternative", as she's claimed that she was trying to get back at a boyfriend who said his Indie songs were cooler than hers - but "Alternative" strikes me as about the best description of it as a whole.

As you say, it's also up for General Music Album of the Year - where I think it stands a serious chance of winning. I don't think it necessarily follows that an album that wins there will also win in the Country field - every NARAS member is likely to vote in the General Field. In the Country Field, only those who work in that sector are supposed to vote. They are only "honour bound" to stick to that (there are no checks enforced) - but members are limited in the total number of votes they can cast. Many non-Country members who vote in the General Field will use up their remaining votes elsewhere - e.g in R & B or Rock. So it's quite possible that another album would win in Country.

I'd be hoping that "Same Trailer Different Park" wins Country Album
    teesharky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    "Red" certainly does contain three very Pop-leaning tracks from the Martin/Shellback stable in Sweden. At least two of those have been singles (maybe all have) They have coloured perception of the album as a whole - but I think that's misleading. I wouldn't classify most of the album as Pop - e.g the Jeff Bhasker songs certainly aren't, the Dan Wilson songs probably aren't, and the two British/Irish collaborations are closer to modern Progressive Folk. It would be quite difficult to classify the album on a genre basis (which is actually one of its strengths). Taylor Swift might not like it being called "Alternative", as she's claimed that she was trying to get back at a boyfriend who said his Indie songs were cooler than hers - but "Alternative" strikes me as about the best description of it as a whole.

As you say, it's also up for General Music Album of the Year - where I think it stands a serious chance of winning. I don't think it necessarily follows that an album that wins there will also win in the Country field - every NARAS member is likely to vote in the General Field. In the Country Field, only those who work in that sector are supposed to vote. They are only "honour bound" to stick to that (there are no checks enforced) - but members are limited in the total number of votes they can cast. Many non-Country members who vote in the General Field will use up their remaining votes elsewhere - e.g in R & B or Rock. So it's quite possible that another album would win in Country.

I'd be hoping that "Same Trailer Different Park" wins Country Album
    I think you also need to take into account how it actually is promoted. It had six singles: 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together', 'I Knew You Were Trouble.', '22', 'Red', and 'Everything Has Changed'.

Only one is actually country, and only two were three were sent to country radio (with the lead flopped with a country 'mix').
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Huge Carrie Follower

Best Country Solo Performance: "Mama's Broken Heart" – Miranda Lambert OR "Mine Would Be You" – Blake Shelton
    Best Country Duo/Group Performance: "Highway Don't Care" – Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift & Keith Urban (three artists that were all grammy award winners in the past also it is the only nominated song in this category that hit at No1 and was within the top 20 country chart)
    Best Country Song: "Mine Would Be You" (best country song written in the year i think)
    Best Country Album: Based on a True Story... – Blake Shelton (its singles performed way better on country radio charts than all the other albums nominated) OR Same Trailer Different Park – Kacey Musgraves (this is the most critically acclaimed album among those 5 nominated this should be the winner i think or maybe blake shelton) OR Red – Taylor Swift (i am afraid she will win again this time and she certainly does not deserves it! it should not even have been categorized as a country album in the grammys)
    I also think that Kacey Musgraves has no chances of wiining best new artist
    I don't mind whoever wins but i really don't want taylor to win any more awards... (i think best country album will go to taylor unfortunately because it was the only country album to be nominated as album of the year)

Concert Stars
    Just as a quick thought:

Red will gget country award so they can give AOTY to someone else and still honor Red.
    Country song goes to Kacey so they can give her something for her critical acclaim.
    Country performance goes to Blake for over all success.

The problem with trying to predict grammys in country music is trying to determine the perception of country in the mainstream industry. Sometimes they don't realize how popular one person is, and go with something more alternative. And other times it seems they only focus on whats popular cause they just don't know anything else.

Can someone list the nominees?

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Country Song - Wagon Wheel

I could see any of the five winning

Duo/Group - Highway Don't Care

Too much star power

Song - I Drive Your Truck

Could see Merry Go 'Round winning

Album - Same Trailer, Different Park

I don't think that Kacey will win BNA either, that is Macklemore & Lewis's to lose but stranger things have happened when it comes to the BNA at the Grammys (Esperanza Spalding)

Huge Carrie Follower
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Just as a quick thought:

Red will gget country award so they can give AOTY to someone else and still honor Red.
    Country song goes to Kacey so they can give her something for her critical acclaim.
    Country performance goes to Blake for over all success.

The problem with trying to predict grammys in country music is trying to determine the perception of country in the mainstream industry. Sometimes they don't realize how popular one person is, and go with something more alternative. And other times it seems they only focus on whats popular cause they just don't know anything else.

Can someone list the nominees?
    Country
    Best Country Solo Performance
    "I Drive Your Truck" – Lee Brice
    "I Want Crazy" – Hunter Hayes
    "Mama's Broken Heart" – Miranda Lambert
    "Wagon Wheel" – Darius Rucker
    "Mine Would Be You" – Blake Shelton
    Best Country Duo/Group Performance
    "From This Valley" – The Civil Wars
    "Don't Rush" – Kelly Clarkson featuring Vince Gill
    "Your Side of the Bed" – Little Big Town
    "Highway Don't Care" – Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift & Keith Urban
    "You Can't Make Old Friends" – Kenny Rogers with Dolly Parton
    Best Country Song
    "Begin Again"
    Taylor Swift, songwriter (Taylor Swift)
    "I Drive Your Truck"
    Jessi Alexander, Connie Harrington & Jimmy Yeary, songwriters (Lee Brice)
    "Mama's Broken Heart"
    Brandy Clark, Shane McAnally & Kacey Musgraves, songwriters (Miranda Lambert)
    "Merry Go 'Round"
    Shane McAnally, Kacey Musgraves & Josh Osborne, songwriters (Kacey Musgraves)
    "Mine Would Be You"
    Jessi Alexander, Connie Harrington & Deric Ruttan, songwriters (Blake Shelton)
    Best Country Album
    Night Train – Jason Aldean
    Two Lanes of Freedom – Tim McGraw
    Same Trailer Different Park – Kacey Musgraves
    Based on a True Story... – Blake Shelton
    Red – Taylor Swift

Concert Stars
    If Red wins " country" album- these voters and the industry as a whole should be freakin ashamed. What a joke. I am rooting for Kasey all the way.

it is like there is a big fat elephant in the room and no one wants to admit it is there. Sad how weak and pathetic these voters are to nominate Red as country in the first place.

i don't think I can watch this. If that pop album wins country alb of the year - i will lose all respect for the Grammy voters too. They were my last hope.

Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    If Red wins " country" album- these voters and the industry as a whole should be freakin ashamed. What a joke. I am rooting for Kasey all the way.

it is like there is a big fat elephant in the room and no one wants to admit it is there. Sad how weak and pathetic these voters are to nominate Red as country in the first place.

i don't think I can watch this. If that pop album wins country alb of the year - i will lose all respect for the Grammy voters too. They were my last hope.
    It's because Big Machine sent it to the country field. They cannot just move it to pop as they see fit. Obviously they can choose not to vote for it, but non-country people always get to vote for the nominees in the country field and The Lord maybe the only name they know.
    teesharky and pklongbeach like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    I think you also need to take into account how it actually is promoted. It had six singles: 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together', 'I Knew You Were Trouble.', '22', 'Red', and 'Everything Has Changed'.

Only one is actually country, and only two were three were sent to country radio (with the lead flopped with a country 'mix').
    Was Begin Again not a single from Red?

Note the auto harp in Wannabeget. Pure Appalachian Country - no question, Taylor goes for the Twang Factor she's always loved. It had Borchetta crying into his beer - but Taylor's taking it to the IBMAs next year

TS.jpg

Insane Carrie Fan
    It's because Big Machine sent it to the country field. They cannot just move it to pop as they see fit. Obviously they can choose not to vote for it, but non-country people always get to vote for the nominees in the country field and The Lord maybe the only name they know.
    This is a good point, and a problem as well. The Grammy's, being as prestigious as they are, should take more precautions in nominations. Each category should be judged by people in their respective field of music, not all of music.

You forgot begin again and I went to ts Wikipedia page to see where red peaked(outside of the top 5) on the real country billboard chart and found out that another single from red was released as a single in October to British radio as an alternative rock song featuring Gary lightbody

So she actually had two country singles, 1 alternative rock, 4 pop singles and 1 promo single that hasn't been released as an official single

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1995 View Post
    This is a good point, and a problem as well. The Grammy's, being as prestigious as they are, should take more precautions in nominations. Each category should be judged by people in their respective field of music, not all of music.
    If the Grammy's are suppose to be the greatest award in music then why shouldn't it be judged by the entire music industry.

If you want it to be by just the genre all that is doing it making it just like the BET Awards, CMA's, etc...

Actually, they can (and do) move submissions to other fields if they consider them inappropriately submitted. Some material is moved out of Country into American Roots Music every year, regardless of whether the artists would prefer it to be in Country. The main reason that "Red" wasn't moved elsewhere is that the Country sector had already accepted the album as Country - NARAS would be on controversial ground if they moved a high profile album which was backed by UMG, nominated at Country industry shows, and had had tracks played on Country radio. (It's lesser known material, which the powers that be don't want to see in the Country field, that tends to get moved.)

In fact, I think there would be an additional problem with "Red" - where would they move it to? It's a very diverse album, much of which might not fit into Pop any more than it does in Country. (The Pop nominees for album are Lana del Rey, Lorde, Bruno Mars, Robin Thicke and Justin Timberlake).
    rainbow1 and clh_hilary like this.

Best Country Solo Performance
    "I Drive Your Truck" – Lee Brice
    "I Want Crazy" – Hunter Hayes
    "Mama's Broken Heart" – Miranda Lambert
    "Wagon Wheel" – Darius Rucker
    "Mine Would Be You" – Blake Shelton

Best Country Duo/Group Performance
    "From This Valley" – The Civil Wars
    "Don't Rush" – Kelly Clarkson featuring Vince Gill
    "Your Side of the Bed" – Little Big Town
    "Highway Don't Care" – Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift & Keith Urban
    "You Can't Make Old Friends" – Kenny Rogers with Dolly Parton

Best Country Song
    "Begin Again"Taylor Swift, songwriter (Taylor Swift)
    "I Drive Your Truck"Jessi Alexander, Connie Harrington & Jimmy Yeary, songwriters (Lee Brice)
    "Mama's Broken Heart"Brandy Clark, Shane McAnally & Kacey Musgraves, songwriters (Miranda Lambert)
    "Merry Go 'Round"Shane McAnally, Kacey Musgraves & Josh Osborne, songwriters (Kacey Musgraves)
    "Mine Would Be You"Jessi Alexander, Connie Harrington & Deric Ruttan, songwriters (Blake Shelton)

Best Country Album
    Night Train – Jason Aldean
    Two Lanes of Freedom – Tim McGraw
    Same Trailer Different Park – Kacey Musgraves
    Based on a True Story... – Blake Shelton
    Red – Taylor Swift
    teesharky and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    If the Grammy's are suppose to be the greatest award in music then why shouldn't it be judged by the entire music industry.

If you want it to be by just the genre all that is doing it making it just like the BET Awards, CMA's, etc...

They et already have categories for all genres at the Grammys: album of the year, Record of year Song of the year and new Artist.

The genre awards should respect the genres- not nominate pop or rap or rock albums etc in country fields. Otherwise- what is the point of genre categories? Just have the big 4 categories in all genre and call it a day. Lol
    adam1995 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    They et already have categories for all genres at the Grammys: album of the year, Record of year Song of the year and new Artist.

The genre awards should respect the genres- not nominate pop or rap or rock albums etc in country fields. Otherwise- what is the point of genre categories? Just have the big 4 categories in all genre and call it a day. Lol
    They already have genre only based awards and they are called the CMA Awards, BET Awards, etc... if you are not good enough to attract the entire music industry to win in whatever genre it may be then you don't deserve to win anyway.

•  
    Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast