Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By pklongbeach
  • 3 Post By DizzyDollyDee
  • 2 Post By Kizmet311
  • 3 Post By Kizmet311
  • 2 Post By Kizmet311
  • 2 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 2 Post By clh_hilary

Thread: Martina McBride - "Everlasting" Era (due out March 4th)

Martina McBride - "Everlasting" Era (due out March 4th)

I didn't see any threads for Martina so here it is. New music out on March 4th.

Martina McBride Enlists Don Was for a "Dream Come True" - Martina McBride

Concert Stars

I still get excited when I see that Martina is releasing music cause I want this to happen again so badly.

This is a CMA Female Vocalist of the Year. So don't tell me it is not about singing!!!
    abbeyjones18 and gaycarebear like this.

Pleasantly surprised that she's still releasing albums.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I love Martina's voice. Some have pointed out its not as good as it use to be - I don' know about that. I just know it's a whole lot better than some of these other new gals that are being presented to us even at the age she is! Her song choices is what has been off for me. She performed at our state fair this past year. Far too many seats empty - broke my heart. Her show was super great - she sang some of her older songs and covered other great songs that the audience knew and the audience showed their love!! She was overcome by our show of love. But the message that we sent was we still loved her and not to give up - just find some better songs. Hope she has done it!!!!

Concert Stars
    Agree. Its all song choice.
    OF course the voice is still there. But yes it takes a beating to be the style of vocalist she is.

But all the wonderful things that make her a great singer are all still there of course.

I am not at all interested in this project I am sorry to say.
    Martina singing R&B is just completely out in left field and I feel like there will be absolutely no audience for it.
    But I do agree with her, as an artist if she wishes to discover new things and try new thngs more power to her.
    But singing R&B and finding a way to present it is one thing. But taking the opportunity to launch a whole new album and potencially win your seat back as one of the great female voices in the genre, and rather squander it on a project that will be costly and will likely go nowhere is just a bad idea for the label.

I wish her all the best in the world, but if Timeless did not work (and I thought timeless was a great idea and the industry ignored it), what will anybody do with a country singer singing R&B at 40 years of age??

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I loved Timeless and I think the album after it is when I stopped buying Martina's music. She was always my favorite and I love her older material, but Teenage Daughter just lost me. I thought that song was dreadful and then I had Carrie, so I didn't really need Martina anymore and I just quit keeping up. I don't know how I feel about her new album. I follow her on Twitter and new she was releasing a new album, but didn't realize it was a bunch of covers. I was genuinely excited for new original material from her and now, not so much.
    pklongbeach and Hil like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Just looked at the track list and there are a couple of songs that I love and will like to hear Martina sing - "If You Don't Know Me..." and "I've Been Loving You...". Interesting to see that Kelly has made her way onto this album for a duet as well. She really is working hard to be everywhere in country music.
    liz278, Claire2004 and pklongbeach like this.

Concert Stars
    YEs, kelly is..........

I agree with everything you said Kiz, it was almost like Teenage Daughter was the nail in the coffin for me.
    I bought Waking up Laughing just based on the fact that I loved Timeless and I loved her Greatest Hits CD.

And Waking was ok. It was Martina. But the songs were not strong enough. And then came the new deal with BM and that dreadful (I will use your term) song and I was just done.

She will always be a great singer. I just don't understand why she has to struggle so much at being a great ARtist.

She has had 2 years to find some great songs. Or even write some yourself........

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    YEs, kelly is..........

I agree with everything you said Kiz, it was almost like Teenage Daughter was the nail in the coffin for me.
    I bought Waking up Laughing just based on the fact that I loved Timeless and I loved her Greatest Hits CD.

And Waking was ok. It was Martina. But the songs were not strong enough. And then came the new deal with BM and that dreadful (I will use your term) song and I was just done.

She will always be a great singer. I just don't understand why she has to struggle so much at being a great ARtist.

She has had 2 years to find some great songs. Or even write some yourself........
    I may be wrong, but was WUL when she started to write some of her own material and it was not as great as her past albums. Perhaps Martina needs to stick to singing with that beautiful voice.
    pklongbeach and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I will say one thing - I think that she started to come back around to the "old" Martina when she released "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" and I think it was a very Martina-esque song in that she has always like to tackle different issues in her material, plus it was a power ballad. She needs to find her way back to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I will say one thing - I think that she started to come back around to the "old" Martina when she released "I'm Gonna Love You Through It" and I think it was a very Martina-esque song in that she has always like to tackle different issues in her material, plus it was a power ballad. She needs to find her way back to that.
    And it was a decent airplay hit for her. Though it wasn't selling anything so it's a concern in the long-term.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Agree. Its all song choice.
    OF course the voice is still there. But yes it takes a beating to be the style of vocalist she is.

But all the wonderful things that make her a great singer are all still there of course.

I am not at all interested in this project I am sorry to say.
    Martina singing R&B is just completely out in left field and I feel like there will be absolutely no audience for it.
    But I do agree with her, as an artist if she wishes to discover new things and try new thngs more power to her.
    But singing R&B and finding a way to present it is one thing. But taking the opportunity to launch a whole new album and potencially win your seat back as one of the great female voices in the genre, and rather squander it on a project that will be costly and will likely go nowhere is just a bad idea for the label.

I wish her all the best in the world, but if Timeless did not work (and I thought timeless was a great idea and the industry ignored it), what will anybody do with a country singer singing R&B at 40 years of age??
    Martina's career has been on a downward spiral for years now.

Judging by the poor sales and reception to her original material, I'm thinking her label figured it would be smart to release a covers album. That way, she knows she got solid songs to cover, and there is no risk involved in terms of quality or Martina's image.

It a shame she's had to go down this route; she used to be quite good.

I think Martina slowly painted herself into a corner; aside from her voice, there's nothing distinctive about her.

Artists have to be so careful now and find ways to evolve without losing their fanbase. To me, it always seemed like Martina sang the same types of songs with no distinctive style.

Martina faded long before "Teenage Daughters" came out, and the whole new image made a bad situation even worse.

Martina has a fantastic voice, but it almost seems to me she's content to sing whatever her label suggests. There's been one change in her image, and it screamed "desperation." Then, when she went back to her signature style she gave us a song that could have been a carbon copy of her 90's material.

If she really wants to revive her career, why is she not taking more control? She can do what she wants, and she certainly doesn't need radio hits.

The fact that Martina goes along with releasing covers albums seems so fabricated. Why choose to do that when she has resources at her disposable to create a great album that might actually resonate with an audience?

Frustrating. Martina put the nail in the coffin, and she's grasping at straws, despite the fact that she can do better. Where's the desire to create good music, instead of creating covers albums that won't sell anyway? Ugh, Martina.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    liz278 and Hil like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet311 View Post
    I loved Timeless and I think the album after it is when I stopped buying Martina's music. She was always my favorite and I love her older material, but Teenage Daughter just lost me. I thought that song was dreadful and then I had Carrie, so I didn't really need Martina anymore and I just quit keeping up. I don't know how I feel about her new album. I follow her on Twitter and new she was releasing a new album, but didn't realize it was a bunch of covers. I was genuinely excited for new original material from her and now, not so much.
    I agree with everything you said. I bought an album after Carrie but it didn't hold my interest for very long, so I quit buying her stuff. Sad really because I really liked her before 2005 :-)

I am surprised and pleased with myself that I have kept up with Carrie after all these years. It seems that I lose interest in an artist after a while. I guess I really like that she has some songs that aren't the same.

Concert Stars
    She needs to go back to soul music/music that speaks to the heart. That is where she is good at. Teenage daughter was a dreadful song imo. Her earlier work was alot better.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_kt View Post
    She needs to go back to soul music/music that speaks to the heart. That is where she is good at. Teenage daughter was a dreadful song imo. Her earlier work was alot better.

Honestly, I think getting away from Big Machine is the best thing she could have done for her career at this point.

Looking younger and trying to fit in with Miranda, Carrie and Taylor just made the new image that much worse.
    Hopefully, this new label will be good for Martina, and she'll be able to sing good material and be herself this time around.

I want to point out that her album is outopening LeAnn Rimes's cover album by like doubling or potentially tripling it.
    Kizmet311 and pklongbeach like this.

Hil
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    I want to point out that her album is outopening LeAnn Rimes's cover album by like doubling or potentially tripling it.
    LeAnn Has a cover album coming out too??

big Martina fan, have been for years, but with all of you, after the timeless tour I just haven't really liked any of her material...
    Last edited by Hil; 04-14-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    It seems some artists lose track of the fact that image means alot if you really want to "sell product".

Leanne Rimes is the kind of artist that has lost her image so much to her own "tabloid shananighans", that she has almost buried everything that anyone would have originally liked about her, namely her voice.
    She tried to do "sexy" that didnt work, she then moved on to trashy, that definately didnt work, and then she found herself in an all out tabloid scandal ( and not because she destroyed a marrage childrens lives in the process) but because she took to social media and mainstream media and talked like a "crazy person"!!!

Being taken seriously as a singing professional is pretty much done after all that.

Martina has lacked good material and a solid game plan. But she has never had to suffer from her own bad press or image problems.
    Even Teenage Daughter allowed her to stay someone allough and on top of the poor material. Everyone knows she is a legend singer. She just has to get better material.

IF Leanne keeps up with what she is doing, she is just done!

#leanne-ewuuu

•