Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By clh_hilary
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By clh_hilary
  • 1 Post By opry051008
  • 1 Post By clh_hilary
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: 'Cruise' the biggest country seller ever (Carrie #8 Tay 2 5 9 Miley 10)

Post 'Cruise' the biggest country seller ever (Carrie #8 Tay 2 5 9 Miley 10)

Florida Georgia Line's genre-busting "Cruise" is now the top selling country digital song of all-time, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
    With scans of 84,000 units in the most recent tracking week upping its overall sum to 6.33 million downloads, according to Nielsen SoundScan, the duo's hit is now the biggest-selling digital country song since SoundScan began tracking digital sales in 2003. It passes Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" which now sits in second place with 6.27 million downloads.

Aided by a remix featuring rapper Nelly (which accounts for 39.5% of the track’s overall sales thus far), "Cruise" became a multi-format radio smash, spanning a chart life that began in the summer of 2012.

Related
    Beyonce Breaks U.S. iTunes Sales Record, Sells 617,000 in Three Days
    Adele Makes U.K. Chart History: First Artist To Sell 3 Million Albums In Same Year
    Disclosure's Debut Tops UK Album Chart, Robin Thicke’s ‘Blurred Lines' Sets Sales Record
    The new sales record adds to the songs previous accolades. In 2013, it broke the record for the longest-running No. 1 in the 70-year history of the Hot Country Songs chart, spending 24 non-consecutive weeks atop the list. It also reached No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100, and No. 7 on the Pop Songs radio chart (known as Mainstream Top 40 on billboard.biz).

Notably, like "Cruise," the top five country digital sellers (see list below) all had significant pop crossover airplay. Following "Cruise" and "Need You Now" on the all-time best-selling country digital songs list are Taylor Swift's "Love Story" (5.66 million), the Band Perry's "If I Die Young" (4.74 million) and Swift's "You Belong With Me" (4.41 million).

In other Florida Georgia Line news, the act is currently enjoying its second-longest chart-topping run on Hot Country Songs with "Stay," which has spent five weeks at No. 1 so far and has sold 689,000 to date.

Top 10 Selling Country Digital Songs of All Time*

1. Florida Georgia Line, "Cruise" - 6.33 million
    2. Lady Antebellum, "Need You Now" - 6.27 million
    3. Taylor Swift, "Love Story" - 5.66 million
    4. The Band Perry, "If I Die Young" - 4.74 million
    5. Taylor Swift, "You Belong With Me" - 4.41 million
    6. Zac Brown Band, "Chicken Fried" - 4.06 million
    7. Jason Aldean, "Dirt Road Anthem" - 3.94 million
    8. Carrie Underwood, "Before He Cheats" - 3.90 million
    9. Taylor Swift, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" - 3.77 million
    10. Miley Cyrus, "The Climb" - 3.71 million

*source: Nielsen SoundScan

Florida Georgia Line's 'Cruise' Sets All-Time Country Sales Record | Billboard

Italicised ones are those with multiple format exposure. I have no idea 'Chicken Fried' is so huge. 'Before He Cheats' was at one point the biggest country seller of all-time. And of course now the oldest song on the list.

Where's Lady GaGa's 'Born This Way' though? It got a country mix, it deserves to be on the list as much as Milegend Cyrus's 'The Climb'. Or 'Hey, Soul Sister' by Train which actually got a country add date, or 'I Will Wait' (Mumford & Son) or 'Ho Hey' which actually charted. Also notably snubbing The Lord's 'I Knew You Were Trouble.'
    opry051008 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Train recorded a Country version of "Soul Sister" after the Dixie Chicks sang it on one of their brief tour reunions, about three years ago

Not my cup of tea - but I give Train credit for showing a genuine interest in Country Music (They've recently worked with Ashley Monroe)

I also support GaGa's links with the Country world, I've mentioned before that, when she was virtually unknown, it was a leading Gay Country bar in Dallas that gave her some of her first breaks. She's returned several times to repay that debt - a significant gesture from a now famous star.

Mumford and Sons have also been consistent in their acknowledgment of Country influence (one of their members uses "Country" as part of his professional nickname.) They are a now an accepted feature on the "Americana" wing - but probably not considered Country by the Mainstream.

Cyrus has certainly shown she can perform creditably in Country style, even if it's not her main interest.

Personally, I'd take some of those in preference to "Cruise" - but I'm no guide to what makes a million seller!

Counting all country tunes!

1. Bill Crosby, 'White Christmas' - 30.00 million
    2. Sir Elton John, 'Candle In The Wind 1997 / Something About The Way You Look Tonight' - 11.00 million
    3. ADELE, 'Rolling In The Deep' - 7.60 million
    4. Lady GaGa, 'Poker Face' - 7.00 million
    5. Lady GaGa, 'Just Dance' - 7.00 million
    6. Whitney Houston, 'I Will Always Love You' - 6.61 million
    7.Katy Perry, 'Firework' - 6.34 million
    8. Nelly, 'Cruise' - 6.33 million
    9. Lady Antebellum, 'Need You Now' - 6.27 million
    10. Train, 'Hey, Soul Sister' - 6.00 million
    11. Ke$ha, 'TiK ToK' - 6.00 million
    12. Rihanna, 'Love The Way You Lie' - 5.89 million
    13. The Queen of Pop, 'Love Story' - 5.66 million
    14. Katy Perry, 'E.T.' - 5.61 million
    15. Katy Perry, 'California Gurls' - 5.54 million
    16. Katy Perry, 'Hot N Cold' - 5.42 million
    17. Lady GaGa, 'Bad Romance' - 5.42 million
    18. Milegend, 'Party In The U.S.A.' - 5.31 million
    19. Rihanna, 'We Found Love' - 5.02 million
    20. Shakira, 'Hips Don't Lie' - 5.00 million
    21. The Band Perry, 'If I Die Young' - 4.74 million
    22. Katy Perry, 'Roar' - 4.70 million
    23. Rihanna, 'Disturbia' - 4.60 million
    24. Katy Perry, 'Teenage Dream' - 4.56 million
    25. Rihanna, 'Live Ur Life' - 4.51 million
    26. Katy Perry, 'I Kissed A Girl' - 4.44 million
    27. The Queen of Pop, 'You Belong With Me' - 4.41 million
    28. Rihanna, 'Umbrella' - 4.24 million
    29. The Zac Brown Band, 'Chicken Fried' - 4.06 million
    30. The Queen of Pop, 'I Knew You Were Trouble.' - 4.00 million
    31. The Lumineers, 'Ho Hey' - 4.00 million
    32. Ludacris, 'Dirt Road Anthem' - 3.94 million
    33. Lady GaGa, 'Born This Way' - 3.92 million
    34. Carrie Underwood, 'Before He Cheats' - 3.90 million
    35. The Queen of Pop, 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' - 3.77 million
    36. Milegend, 'The Climb' - 3.71 million

Who am I missing?
    opry051008 likes this.

The first Country record to sell a million copies was Vernon Dalhart's "The Prisoner's Song", which passed that sales figure in the mid 1920s (sources differ on whether it reached that sales total in 1924 or 1925.)

Although the record company billed it as a "Mountaineer's Song" - a more polite term for Hillbilly Music - and it was certainly modeled closely on the traditional Mountain ballad "I'm Thinking Tonight of My Blue Eyes" (with different lyrics), it had accompaniment from a viola (not a Mountain instrument), and Dalhart had also sung music hall and light opera.
    This recording really proves that "crossover" and the incorporation of contemporary Pop influences have always been present in commercially successful Country Music - and probably always will be.

The first Country million seller by a female artist was "I Want To Be A Cowboy's Sweetheart" by Patsy Montana (whose real name was Ruby Blevins) in the 1930s.

The first Country album to do so was "Wanted - the Outlaws", a compilation album by Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson. Jessi Colter and Tompall Glaser, in 1976. (Jennings' son, Shooter, alluded to this in the lyrics of his recent song "Outlaw You" - which was an attack on the so-called "Fake Outlaws" - male singers in the Mainstream who identify with the image, but are felt to be operating outside the Alternative milieu preferred by many supporters of the sub-genre.) "Outlaw Country" was, however, originally aimed at the Mainstream - the term is said to have been coined by CMT journalist Hazel Smith, when she was working as Tompall Glaser's publicist. Again, there's nothing new in commercial singers trying to shake up prevailing Mainstream conventions (In my view, Carrie did so with JTTW and BHC - two songs that her immediate female predecessors are pretty unlikely to have ever recorded. I wouldn't call Carrie an Outlaw but I would call her a leader of a female New Wave.) I have no problems with calling Eric Church an Outlaw, though (and Shooter Jennings himself has collaborated with Mainstream singers, so he's on tenuous ground if he thinks you can only be a "genuine" Outlaw if you stay outside.)
    Last edited by Farawayhills; 01-07-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Carrie Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Counting all country tunes!

Who am I missing?
    You're funny.

Btw, do the numbers include the album purchase of the song or only the single purchase? I'm assuming only the single purchase because of BHC's numbers but a lot of SH were probably physical albums purchased so I wasn't sure.
    clh_hilary likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    You're funny.

Btw, do the numbers include the album purchase of the song or only the single purchase? I'm assuming only the single purchase because of BHC's numbers but a lot of SH were probably physical albums purchased so I wasn't sure.
    Singles. Apart from 'White Christmas', Elton John, and part of Whitney Houston's, all digital.
    opry051008 likes this.

Larry Gatlin's dramatic reading of that awe-inspiring song (which we owe to the combined talents of Brian Kelley,Tyler Hubbard, Joey Moi, Chace Rice and Jesse Rice)

Concert Stars
    I still the the biggest problem some have with Cruise is that it is sandwiched in with so many other rediculous Back-Road Truck songs, most of which are a pale comparison.

The truth for me continues to be, that party songs should always exist. And in popular music they often go down in history and become part of our cultural venacular.
    And I think a good ol' Truck song should exist in that.
    The problem is with the shere numbers of them that have no real appeal and are not remotely intersting. But because they embody the same elements as the ones that really do truly resonate with people, they all get lumped together.
    And that is always a shame to the people who create the originals.

I am aware of the songwriter who pens many of these and he boasts rather arogantly about these songs as being what people want and that they have their place. But in reality he is just regurgitating himself over and over and over again. And he knows it. He has nothing original to say so he just keeps using the same words over and over in different order and handing them off the the leading men in the industry who wish to cash in on the current fad.
    And so you end up with a succession of these songs, and since country industry has to keep 25 men in the top of the charts constantly, you have these songs completley saturating the charts.
    That is NOT a fair representation of what the public wants. Its total food for the machine, regardless of its merit or content.

Point is, I have no problem with Cruise or with FGL. I see them as no different than Lady Antebellum or Brooks and Dunn or Big&Rich or any other crap-tastic made up duo for the masses.

I found Big&Rich to be much more offensive in general but everyone loved them. Why? Cause what they did was unique to them.
    FGL's only real problem is they came in a time when everything else sounds exactly like what they are doing.
    But I still hear a spark of originality. I really do.

I would take their music over Drink a Beer or Cop Car any day.

Concert Stars
    A final note; again I would choose their music, as it is created specifically to represent what country music sounds like to them, over Mile Cyrus or Taylor Swift who both create pop music cause its all they really know how to do, and then have it unleashed on the country charts just to promote them as celebrities and to make money off the format.

That is uterly distasteful to me and FGL is not even close to that catagory of "misleading".

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post

I am aware of the songwriter who pens many of these and he boasts rather arogantly about these songs as being what people want and that they have their place. But in reality he is just regurgitating himself over and over and over again. And he knows it. He has nothing original to say so he just keeps using the same words over and over in different order and handing them off the the leading men in the industry who wish to cash in on the current fad.
    In fairness to Dallas Davidson (who made those remarks, though he wasn't involved with "Cruise"), not all his songs have been of that type. Here, for example, is one that I would say is notably different from the party songs (It's one he sang and recorded himself)

The problem is, though, that far fewer people hear songs like that. So most people don't really get the opportunity to judge whether or not they'd like Davidson, since, for the most part they only hear the side of his work that gets prominence on radio and in the media

"Cruise" (which is often characterized along with his) just isn't the sort of music that appeals to me or interests me - but I'd never say it shouldn't exist, or that radio shouldn't play it. My difficulty with the Mainstream is rather that it plays the same few songs over and over again, over a couple of months, in which they are manufactured into hits by promotion and pushes - and so greatly understates the range and variety of music that's available.
    pklongbeach likes this.

'Cruise' is a multi-format legendary classic and y'all will #deal. Bow to the new country KING Nelly.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    In fairness to Dallas Davidson (who made those remarks, though he wasn't involved with "Cruise"), not all his songs have been of that type. Here, for example, is one that I would say is notably different from the party songs (It's one he sang and recorded himself)

The problem is, though, that far fewer people hear songs like that. So most people don't really get the opportunity to judge whether or not they'd like Davidson, since, for the most part they only hear the side of his work that gets prominence on radio and in the media

"Cruise" (which is often characterized along with his) just isn't the sort of music that appeals to me or interests me - but I'd never say it shouldn't exist, or that radio shouldn't play it. My difficulty with the Mainstream is rather that it plays the same few songs over and over again, over a couple of months, in which they are manufactured into hits by promotion and pushes - and so greatly understates the range and variety of music that's available.
    Thanks for sharing. And I agree.
    I could tell he could write, no doubt he was a professional. But it becomes all that much more frustrating that he is not rying alittle harder to infuse some quality into those songs that he throws out for the "machine".
    I do think it has to do with the establishment asking him to "pen another big hit". And he knows just what that means, and he writes another dirt-road song. But I also get the impression that with some thought and real effort, he could create some music that satisfies that mainstream but still has something to say.
    I think, arguably, Garth Brooks managed to do that quite abit. No question he was writing pop-country fro the masses, but still managed to write about the rodeo and the blood sweat and glory (not very mainstream).
    You hit the nail on the head. Variety!!!!!! Please!!!!

I like some good ol' dirt road songs. I like Ticks and She Thinks my Tractors Sexy and there is even room for alittle bedonadonk. But just don't regurgitate it over and over and over.

The overall sexist attitude that is being displayed lately is literally going to make me stop participating all together on principle alone if they don't cool it down.
    Its highly offensive and immoral for people who call it "God's Music".
    Country Music that I am hearing today has nothing to do with God, regardless of how many pale references to being in church on Sunday you sprinkle in.

Anyway, that is a different discussion. I just wish there were some guys putting out some music that they really had some respect for.
    And not Tim and Keith putting out their worst music in 20 years cause they think they will appeal to young kids.
    They won't! Make some adult music Men!

A truck song I think is cute is this one Joey & Rory - "She Was a Good Truck" - Boone County Fair - YouTube

There are a lot of underground country male artists making great music. I don't really care for the majority (with the exception of few) current mainstream men artists music.

•