Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013

Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013

Entertainment weekly journalist Grady Smith put together this great video recap of country music this year. Enjoy! (smiley)

Carrie Guru
    OMG, that's hilarious. Luke sure got a lot of mileage in this video with the one song. lol.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Thanks for posting the video. Hilarious!!! THAT is why my some of my friends make fun of country music. Most of the guys in that video are drinkers and I kind of wonder about their mentality on how to treat a girl. I kind of think most of their songs are a subtle put down on females.

Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    OMG, that's hilarious. Luke sure got a lot of mileage in this video with the one song. lol.

Yes, because the songwriters successfully crammed all the bro-country cliches into that one song lol.

This video is exactly why it's so hard for me to defend country music these days. The stuff not getting played on the radio is miles (and miles and miles and miles) better than most of the stuff that is. Country radio is one big stereotypical cliche these days.

Thankfully, there's now a lot more ways to discover artists besides radio.

Concert Stars
    He needs to do one, and in comparison, about the girls now!!
    Ann055 likes this.

Thank God for the talented artists in country music. Too bad most of them, with the exception of some, get no air play.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Luke Bryan's 'real good, feel good stuff' is weed not alcohol. Where's 'Cruise' and The Lord? The biggest country song of all-time and biggest country star of 2013 there.

The real reason though, is because Blown Away was released in 2012 and The Sound of Music came a little too late. The fact that there wasn't another single after 'See You Again' hurt it further.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    Thanks for posting the video. Hilarious!!! THAT is why my some of my friends make fun of country music. Most of the guys in that video are drinkers and I kind of wonder about their mentality on how to treat a girl. I kind of think most of their songs are a subtle put down on females.
    Oh its so sexist, it's unbelievable.
    AdamJ, maddkat and smith01 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    Seems more then subtle.They view women as objects not as persons.
    And they're ever so proud of this crap.Which makes the whole thing even sadder.
    hjj, AdamJ and rainbow1 like this.

Concert Stars
    Agreed, that the saddest part and most embarrassing for me when I admit I listen to country radio, is the treatment of all women as sexual objects.

When the songs are talking about back roads and beer and trucks, they just sound stupid. But when they talk about women barefoot in short shorts gettin' me another beer in the kitchen, I am just embarrasing myself for participating.
    gaycarebear likes this.

Concert Stars
    Basically this video is the reason I've pretty much stopped listening to country radio. Well, that and the fact that Carrie doesn't have a single out right now.
    rainbow1 and Cathie Wynkoop like this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by wonton View Post
    Basically this video is the reason I've pretty much stopped listening to country radio. Well, that and the fact that Carrie doesn't have a single out right now.
    I agree, however, you really can't blame country radio. How many million copies did Cruise sell? How many people snapped up Luke's album? The public is apparently eating this garbage up with a spoon. The industry is going to keep dishing it up as long as people keep buying it. It would appear that people want brainless sexist crap. The really sad thing is the idea country sales are dominated by women and the sexist attitudes in these songs. It's just sad. I truly hope and pray that the fad will end soon and we will actually get some substance back.

( The award for lamest excuse should go to the writer of Luke's latest. He was quoted as saying he writes about what he knows and what he knows is sitting on a tailgate with his buddies. Really? There is no way anybody's life is that shallow!)

Concert Stars
    Perhaps country music needs Taylor Swift (or someone - a woman preferably - that will get results but not hurt their reputation of the traditionalists opinions, but change their minds) to write and sing a well written song that shows the awful truth about girl-truck-beer songs.

If that does not happen, we'll just have to wait untll the next big song (as big as the Achy-Breaky Heart phenomenon, at least).

Concert Stars
    I apparently am the only one that still listens to country radio and don't mind listening to it...
    Kizmet311 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawlor View Post
    Perhaps country music needs Taylor Swift (or someone - a woman preferably - that will get results but not hurt their reputation of the traditionalists opinions, but change their minds) to write and sing a well written song that shows the awful truth about girl-truck-beer songs.

If that does not happen, we'll just have to wait untll the next big song (as big as the Achy-Breaky Heart phenomenon, at least).
    I'm not sure Taylor Swift would fit those requirements. or be interested in that type of work (but I don't mean to launch another debate about her). For me, he most likely writing candidate would be Brandy Clark (or, in recording, probably Kacey Musgraves, whose own recent work follows Brandy's writing style). Brandy, and her frequent co-writer, Shane McAnally, have already written one critical song in this vein, which Wade Bowen recorded.
    Wade Bowen is a leading light on the Texas music scene, but also has interests that bridge over into the Nashville Mainstream. He is a member of Carrie's Sony label group - but I'm not sure that Carrie herself would be attracted to this type of song. So far, I've not heard her be critical of any aspect of the current Mainstream - with the one exception (as far as I know) of her speech in which she said they had to face up to the gender imbalance in the format.
    I think Carrie was certainly moving in the direction of the edgier, more assertive, new wave in female Country with her current album, and it will be interesting to see where she goes with her next one. It shouldn't be forgotten, though, that Carrie has a very mixed fan base, some of whom are only marginally interested in Country Music (and, sometimes, only at all, because Carrie is). One impression I get is that quite a few of her fans are more actively concerned with whether Carrie maintains her "top two" radio hit record, than they are with the state of the format in general. One downside of that, especially if her label team also make that a priority, is that it can act as a constraint against Carrie taking on anything very critical or controversial.
    The Dixie Chicks got away (temporarily) with two songs critical of Nashville ("Heartbreak Town", and "Long Time Gone") - but the downside for them was that when it came to the crunch, they had few friends left in the industry willing to risk defending them.
    Today, it would probably take someone who has critical respect, but doesn't make top radio play a high priority. In that sense, Kacey Musgraves seems to fit (she also has the advantages that Brandy has already co-written half her present album, and that she doesn't have to defend a husband who steers close to "bro" songs himself!)

Farawayhills and rainbow1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlawlor View Post

'Cruise' is an 'Achy-Breaky Heart' phenomenon except that none of their daughter has become another Music Legend. It is the biggest country hit of all-time, of ALL-TIME!!!

With The Lord, or any other female being, it will at most be a big hit, then just fade away. Female hits don't affect male songs. Also, there's the stereotypical female country tune as well! The boy-trashing songs or ballads.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post

I agree, however, you really can't blame country radio. How many million copies did Cruise sell? How many people snapped up Luke's album? The public is apparently eating this garbage up with a spoon. The industry is going to keep dishing it up as long as people keep buying it. It would appear that people want brainless sexist crap. The really sad thing is the idea country sales are dominated by women and the sexist attitudes in these songs. It's just sad. I truly hope and pray that the fad will end soon and we will actually get some substance back.

( The award for lamest excuse should go to the writer of Luke's latest. He was quoted as saying he writes about what he knows and what he knows is sitting on a tailgate with his buddies. Really? There is no way anybody's life is that shallow!)
    You need to recognise that 'Cruise' is a huge multi-format hit, and that its remix sold like a half of its total.

Concert Stars
    a few commenets;

I am still a bit confused why Florida Giorga Line gets so much flack for something that is really most obvious and prevalent in the artists that are already established in the format.

All FGL really did was come in with young fresh faces and very catchy melodies for females to react to.
    And they struck and chord, with numerous songs not just one.
    Anyway, I find their songs far less offensive than the songs by men that are twice thier age and married and established, still singing songs as if they sit around on tailgates all day drinking beers from mason jars. Its just a lie and its stupid.
    So it makes them look rediculous.

But I think FGL fits in the age demo of their music, so I just don't view it the same way.
    iTs like when Chesney did "She Thinks My Tractors Sexy". It worked cause he fit the demo and the song was not entirely sexist. It more or less turned the table on sexist.

anyway, that kind of song does not work if every other guy in the inudstry is singing the exact same song over and over...

As for TS writing a song about the controversy, I am not quite sure why she would come to mind.
    I see her as one of the major contributors to the concept of sexism in music.
    Also, I don't think she has the ability to write a "themed concept" type song.
    She writes melodies and lyrics that are fluid ideas in her head.
    That is not the same as constructing a thoughtful idea or concept and fleshing it out.

Unfortunately, the very idea that women are marginalized in general would only mean that a song that tackled the idea of sexism would be marginalized also.

Kacey is about the only one who could write the right song, but because her image is that of "alt-girl" it would not be taken seriously, it would be expected.
    Miranda is happily married to the face of the problem so for her to do it would seem hypocritical.

Carrie just ever would. Her belief system would keep her from pointing fingers at ideas that others have that she herself does not condone. Her faith says "do not judge" and she is one of the few christians who seem to know what that actually means.

Someone like Pickler might be the right fit. Though , unfortuatnely, she just does not get the attention she probably deserves at this point....
    rainbow1 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast