Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: It's Official: Beyonce Makes History With 5th No. 1 Album

It's Official: Beyonce Makes History With 5th No. 1 Album

It's Official: Beyonce Makes History with Fifth No. 1 Album

It's official: Beyonce's new self-titled album debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, making her the first woman to hit No. 1 with her first five studio albums.

It follows the chart-topping "Dangerously In Love" (2003), "B'Day" (2006), "I Am... Sasha Fierce" (2008) and "4" (2011). All five of her albums also debuted at No. 1.

The two other acts that have taken their first five studio sets to No. 1: rapper DMX and folk group the Kingston Trio. (DMX also happens to be the only other act, aside from Beyonce, to debut at No. 1 with his first five studio efforts.)

"Beyonce" was released on the morning of Friday, Dec. 13 -- exclusively via the iTunes Store without any pre-release announcement -- and it sold 617,000 copies through the week ending Sunday, Dec. 15, according to Nielsen SoundScan. That's a record high sales week for Beyonce, as the diva's previous best week came when "B'Day" bowed with 541,000.

More at: It's Official: Beyonce Makes History with Fifth No. 1 Album | Billboard
    opry051008 likes this.

I've seen stans of Lady Gaga and Britney Spears having meltdowns when news of this broke lol. Even some stans of Kelly C are sourgraping.

She used to share the record with Alicia Keys (Song In A Minor, The Diary of Alicia Keys, Unplugged,As I Am - The Element of Freedom débuted and peaked at No 2 behind Susan Boyle's I Dreamed A Dream), Britney Spears (...Baby One More Time, Oops!...I Did It Again, Britney, In The Zone - Blackout débuted and peaked at No 2 behind The Eagles's Long Road Out of Eden), and Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana, Hannah Montana 2 / Meet Miley Cyrus, Breakout, Hannah Montana: The Movie - Hannah Montana 3 débuted and peaked at No 2 a NOW compilation. If not counting soundtrack failings, The Time of Our Lives peaked at No 2 behind Whitney Houston's I Look To You. If not counting EPs, Can't Be Tamed débuted and peaked at No 3 behind Eminem's Recovery).

This is also Beyonce's biggest one-week sales, surpassing that of B'Day's. Second highest including all Destiny's Child sets. And she did this with only three days of iTunes sales with no prior promotions.

The biggest opening for a female artist this year by far, outselling Katy Perry's PRISM's 286,000 copies. The highest one-week sales since Taylor Swift's Red opened with more than 1.2 million copies in 2012, and highest one-week sales for a female solo artist since Lady GaGa's Born This Way opened with more than 1.1 million copies in 2011. Besting the personal bests of Madonna, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Katy Perry, Rihanna, P!nk, Ke$ha, Miley Cyrus, and most other pop girls. Also the biggest opening for a female R&B artist since Mary J Blige's Growing Pains in 2007. One of the Top 100 biggest openings in the Soundscan era, and the fourth biggest opening this year, behind Justin Timberlake, Eminem, and Drake. Bigger than fellow rhythmic stars such as Jay-Z and Kanye West.

She also broke the record for biggest opening on iTunes, a record held by Swift's Red. The overall digital record is owned by Gaga's Born This Way with more than 400,000 copies sold via Amazon at $0.99, and overall 662,000 copies. This is only the second digital album to ever top the chart, with the first one being Hope For Haiti Now, opening at No 1 with 171,000 copies sold in two days; and extending its stay at No 1 the following week with another 143,000 copies sold digitally.

Also this: Beyonce Makes Billboard 200 History with Fifth No. 1 Album | Billboard
    Last edited by clh_hilary; 12-17-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    Claire2004 and opry051008 like this.

Carrie Guru
    The Queen - that's all!
    Claire2004 likes this.

This is actually more interesting than just about Dat King B.

'Run The World (Girls)' was very poorly received, which may have limited the sales to 4, a la Kelly Clarkson's My December and Madonna's Erotica, but more notably with Rihanna's Rated R. That was like negative promotion. 'Best Thing I Never Had' did not pick up fast or strong enough to push for a bigger opening.

'Deja Vu' was another example of a massive launch that stalled quickly with the public not buying it. That would explain B'Day's opening not being as well as this one. But, both 'If I Were A Boy' and even more so 'Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)' were big hits that had started smashing before I Am...Sasha Fierce, but that did shy of half a million copies during Thanksgiving week.

Then another question of course is on who would be able to pull this off, considering all circumstances. I think Lady GaGa's Born This Way, Madonna's MDNA, Taylor Swift's Red and Speak Now can both do it. Possibly any Eminem album as well. Bey is not the first to do something like this however. Regarding digital-only releases, Lil Wayne did it with I Am Not A Human Being, opening with 110,000 copies, the iTunes record of the time. Regarding no pre-release singles releases, just this year we had Kanye West and Jay-Z, with the latter giving Samsung a million digital copies of its album to be given away for free to listeners world-wide. Prince, following Purple Rain, also released an album out of the blue. Now is better than ever to do something like this however, due to 24-hour media and the rapid nature of everyone and everything.

Concert Stars
    Wow, 617k in three days. It's sales, if it had a full week, probably would have been about 1 million.

It seems like a decent amount of people bought the album just because it's Beyonce and supporting the unexpectedness of what she had just done, rather than the album's content. I only personally like 3 or 4 of the songs, and based on opinions on youtube, it seems like others agree that much of the album isn't commercial at all. With that said, it's even more impressive she sold so much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    Wow, 617k in three days. It's sales, if it had a full week, probably would have been about 1 million.

It seems like a decent amount of people bought the album just because it's Beyonce and supporting the unexpectedness of what she had just done, rather than the album's content. I only personally like 3 or 4 of the songs, and based on opinions on youtube, it seems like others agree that much of the album isn't commercial at all. With that said, it's even more impressive she sold so much.
    Important to note that the three-day (and three hours) week actually adds to the hype and rush, you cannot actually just assume it that way, especially when most big albums sell most of their copies in the first few days, and the weekends are always busier with most people not having to work.

For example, Britney Spears's Oops!...I Did It Again sold more than 1.3 million copies in its first six days, but already around 550,000 copies on its first day (42%). Bey sold 80,000 copies in her first three hours, and 350,000 copies in the following day (Friday). And albums are getting more and more front-loaded these days due to huge popularity of social media. It probably would have hit a million copies had it been given six days to sell, but it's really difficult to tell. Obviously we will have a better idea what it could have done seeing its second week sales.

Some other earlier data: Spears's Blackout sold around 120,000 copies on its first day, and around 280,000 copies in its first six days (42%). Carrie's Carnival Ride sold 150,000 copies, and 527,000 copies in six days (28%). Madonna's Hard Candy sold around 100,000 copies with around 280,000 copies in the end (36%), Miley Cyrus's Breakout and Sugarland's Love On The Inside both did around 110,000 copies, Cyrus's did 371,660 copies (30%) whilst Sugarland's did 313,734 copies (35%). Taylor Swift's Fearless I think 200,000 copies first day, and 591,000 copies or something in the end (34%). Lil Wayne's The Carter III sold 423,000 copies and 1,005,545 copies respectively (42%).

In general, pop and hip-hop artists tend to be more front-loaded, with country acts usually less so (Sugarland's was largely due to the fact that the standard edition of the album was delayed for a week, so its first week was boosted mostly by their core fanatics instead of casual fans).

On another note, this album hit No 1 on iTunes in like 110 countries, but sold only around 200,000 copies outside of the United States. It actually opened with the biggest opening by a female solo artist in the United Kingdom this year (debuting only at No 5 however) with two days of sales, but it's still quite underwhelming.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Congrats to Beyonce, but I'm more interested to see if the album has staying power. Sure, lots of people bought it because it was a surprise and only available on iTunes. People bought into the hype. Personally, I don't like the new music at all.

I just have to chuckle when it is mentioned that there was no promo for this album lol. There may not have been advanced promo, but news of the album release has been everywhere since the album dropped. Even CNN was discussing the album release haha. Also, it was smart to release the album this way at the a time of year when other big artists aren't releasing new music. It would have been interesting to see if this experiment would have worked on Black Friday.

I seriously just don't get the Beyonce hype...never have, likely never will.
    pklongbeach likes this.

I'm not really Beyoncé fan. I like some songs but not enough to call myself fan. I don't really like the new album. Hey congrats to Beyoncé. She does have a pretty singing voice.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Clearly this publicity stunt paid off big for Beyoncé. I say whatever gets the job done, good for her.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    Congrats to Beyonce, but I'm more interested to see if the album has staying power. Sure, lots of people bought it because it was a surprise and only available on iTunes. People bought into the hype. Personally, I don't like the new music at all.

I just have to chuckle when it is mentioned that there was no promo for this album lol. There may not have been advanced promo, but news of the album release has been everywhere since the album dropped. Even CNN was discussing the album release haha. Also, it was smart to release the album this way at the a time of year when other big artists aren't releasing new music. It would have been interesting to see if this experiment would have worked on Black Friday.

She did already sell more than half of what 4 had sold.

Concert Stars

Wow! We agree again!

It doesn't happen to often so I like to revel in it. Wink!!
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    Does this give any indication of her being chosen for next years live event??

ITs wrong of me to hope not, but I do.........

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

I could take her or leave her but IMO she is far more style than she is substance.
    supercarriefan and lizcarlo like this.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    She did already sell more than half of what 4 had sold.
    Right, but let's how well this new album is selling six months from now. I'm just curious to see how the album holds up over time.

Concert Stars
    Right, but let's how well this new album is selling six months from now. I'm just curious to see how the album holds up over time.
    Its very true that when art is launched with a gimmick, it has a much harder time staying relevant after the gimmick is over.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Its very true that when art is launched with a gimmick, it has a much harder time staying relevant after the gimmick is over.
    Exactly. All the talk the past several days has been about the album launch stunt itself, not the music. What happens when all that is left to sell the product is the music itself? Will it still hold up?
    I guess I don't understand all the hype about Beyonce being the 'queen' and a great marketing genius haha. Her team came up with a creative way to get attention for the release. Good for them. I hope they have a great promo plan for the new year as well.
    lizcarlo likes this.

I mean it's quite obvious that it will outsell her previous effort, which is something very difficult to do these days especially when your previous album was released in 2011.

Exactly. All the talk the past several days has been about the album launch stunt itself, not the music. What happens when all that is left to sell the product is the music itself? Will it still hold up?
    I guess I don't understand all the hype about Beyonce being the 'queen' and a great marketing genius haha. Her team came up with a creative way to get attention for the release. Good for them. I hope they have a great promo plan for the new year as well.
    It will not hold up due to the songs not being poppy at all. But she could have urban fans buying it. I don't know.

Second week projection: 250,000-270,000 copies. Physical copies coming this weekend. Total will be upped to c900,000 copies.
    opry051008 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast