Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree1518Likes

Thread: Miranda Lambert - Platinum album era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Miranda Lambert - Platinum album era

I know, of course, that musical tastes vary, and many may not like some or all of the forthcoming music - but there are plenty of other threads on a wide range of other styles. There are also very full threads where concerns about promotion, awards, the industry, and the relative standing of different artists are being aired. Hopefully, though, this thread will be able to avoid "fan war" rivalry and follow Carrie's own lead in its approach to discussion of the work of a fellow artist she clearly likes and admires.

Although I have not seen a projected title for the upcoming album, it's approximate timing has been announced, and Windmills has reported some details which she says appear to be parts of the track listing.

"All The Whiskey You Can Drink" (Miranda Lambert / Lori McKenna)

"Another Sunday In The South" (Jessi Alexander / Miranda Lambert / Ashley Monroe)

"Automatic" (Nicolle Galyon / Natalie Hemby / Miranda Lambert)

"Babies Making Babies” (Nicolle Galyon / Natalie Hemby / Jimmy Robbins)

"Bathroom Sink" (Miranda Lambert)

"Girls" (Nicolle Galyon / Natalie Hemby / Jimmy Robbins)

"Holding On To You" (Jessi Alexander / Miranda Lambert / Ashley Monroe)

"Platinum" (Nicolle Galyon / Natalie Hemby / Miranda Lambert)

"Something Bad" (Chris DeStefano / Brett James / Priscilla Renea)

"Trailblazer" (Natalie Hemby /Miranda Lambert)

"Two Rings Shy" (Brandy Clark / Miranda Lambert / Heather Little)

One thing that strikes me immediately (if this listing is confirmed) is that Miranda may be aiming this album in a rather more Mainstream direction. I see little here to compare with the inclusion of songs by Alternative icons like Brandi Carlyle, Gillian Welch, or Allison Moorer , nor one as independent as the one by Don Henry and Philip Coleman. It's possible that much of "Four the Record" was a personal statement around the time of her wedding, and that this offering may be a little more conventional.

Two writers immediately stand out. Nicolle Galyon was also one of the writers behind the Keith Urban duet. She has been a Voice contestant, and is one of several young women artists whom Miranda has shown an interest in encouraging. You can see a little about her here:
    Hit Urban, Lambert duet co-written by Sterling native

The other standout is Natalie Hemby, who earlier wrote "White Liar" with Miranda, and "Play On" with Carrie. She has long been a writer I've admired.
    I'm also pleased to see Ashley get a couple of likely cuts - with Jessi Alexander (who is married to the "Oklahoma Wind" writer Jon Randall). Jessi has just won Song Of The Year at the CMAs for her work on "I Drive Your Truck"
    Writing with Brandy Clark is going with the name-of-the-moment in edgier Country songwriting - I so hope Carrie will also consider writing with Brandy next year. Carrie also passed, last time, on a strong song from Lori McKenna, which several of us wanted her to go with when we heard the demo. That's another name I'd like to see again on Carrie's consideration list. Brett James and Chris DeStefano are also names already familiar for their work with Carrie, and it's interesting to see them here too.

So, while I'm not able to vouch for the completeness of Windmills' list, thanks are due to her for posting this information.
    Last edited by Pi314CA; 03-03-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Here's the link, just so we can keep up with dates and other things: Windmills's Musical Musings ? Miranda Lambert - Upcoming Album Cuts & Cowrites!.

Anyway, thanks for making this thread, and here's to great discussions about music! Nicolle Galyon also co-wrote a couple of songs on Lauren Alaina's debut album: Wildflower (Lauren Alaina album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Farawayhills likes this.

Thanks for posting. If this is correct I'm happy she is still working with Ashley.
    Farawayhills likes this.

In a backstage interview at the CMAs, Miranda confirmed that the next album will be released spring 2014. This was mentioned in the recent Billboard Country Update (page 7):

After winning her fourth straight Country Music Assn. Award for female vocalist of the year, Miranda Lambert has her eyes set on spring 2014, when she plans to release her fifth album. She admits to being challenged in the project by the precedent she’s set for herself. “I found a great spot in country music,” she told reporters backstage at the awards. “And I want to keep it.”
    http://www1.billboard.biz/bbbiz/phot...pdate_1111.pdf
    gaycarebear and abbeyjones18 like this.

So she will be winning top female vocalist of the year forever? :P
    gocountrymusic likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I love the tittles of a few of these cowrites.

I wasn't the biggest fan of "Four The Record," but it was still quite solid. One thing I would like to see is Miranda including more of her solo songwriting credits; it seems like those decrease with each album. I think "Dear Diamond" is one of her best cuts ever, and Miranda is really great as a solo writer. IMO, she needs to get rid of the filler (Sorry, Blake), in favor of writers like Ashley, Natalie, and Brandy.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to new solo music from Miranda. She's one of the most consistent artists when it comes to putting out solid albums, and I like that she includes writers that those outside the mainstream may not be aware of. I'm a bigger fan of Ashley's due to her work with PA/Miranda, and I've become more aware of the talents of Natalie and Lori McKenna because of their work with her. There are so many underappreciated songwriters in Nashville; it's always struck me how many of them Miranda pays homage to.

I like when Miranda co writes with other artists. I do wish she would write solo more often as well. It seems like she is doing is less and less with each album. She is very talented song writer.

Concert Stars
    I'm intrigued with the Lori M cowrite.

I like her work cause I think it balances the trick of being authentic folk with commerical viability.

I will get the elephant out of the room right off the bat and say that I think it can be very easy for an artist to create music and or an album and have it be strong all within a years time. Many artists have done this in the past. It was standard actually to create material that would come out every year or so.

Do I believe that it waters the art down? Yes I do. But that does not have to mean that it is not good work! Some artists just seem to be constantly writing and there is so much material that is good solid material that it is worth fans being given it.

With that said, is it all their best work? Not by a long shot. I do believe that every artist has those tunes and melodies that rise above their standard output. And I personally would like to believe that when they put out an album it is really the best of the material they have written, and or that the album as a body of work was so cohesive that no title on the album could live outside the album.

I have to be pretty "into" someones sound, their music, their voice, to really be interested in "everything" that comes out of them. Cause probably 70% of it is going to be filler by their best standards. And the few that I have followed who did put out a lot of material, I have to admit I did grow weary of. It led to me feeling like they were just putting out whatever came up in their head, and not really focusing on creating the "best possible art they could". Now not everyone believes the way I do about Art. Some do believe it is a stream of expression that flows. And so the more you express, the whole starts to speak.
    For me, I am most intersted in those "gem" moments where it is at its pristine best. And putting out material year after year is not going to do that but a few times per album for me. So I do grow weary.

My only concern with Miranda, is selfishly, that because she is being given such a strong position in the country industry right now, it feels as if I will have to endure a great deal of average music coming out of her that will be harolded as exceptional. And much like with Taylor, I think "exceptional" should be saved for moments that truly are.
    But because this will be a collection that will be sold to the public as the "latest greatest" we will have to accept it as such.
    When in the back of my mind I feel like, though many artists put out alot of material they do "Not" automatically get rewarded and awarded for it.

But I believe in Mirandas case she will be. And so much like we are asked to believe that she has been the reigning Female Vocalist of The Year for 4 years in a row already, we will be asked to look at this effort as her latest and greatest work.
    And for an artist who chooses to release alot of material over time, it just can not be true that it will "always be" their greatest work.

This is in no way a rant. Just a feeling I have about the idea that Miranda is in a unique position right now. She is an artist who puts out alot of material, and she happens to be an artist who is sitting in the middle of a voting block that allows her to be awarded everytime she does.

As for anticipating the album. I hope there is alot more like Famous In a Small Town, and less like Karoscene, Only Prettier, and AKOK.

Per Windmills' update, I learned that Miranda's lead single will be released February 17, 2014. Title of the single still a surprise.

Windmills's Musical Musings ? Miranda Lambert - Upcoming Album Cuts & Cowrites!

Single Releases : MusicRow ? Nashville's Music Industry Publication ? News, Songs From Music City

Looking at the list of cowrites so far, I don't mind admitting that I'm green with envy over the Lori McKenna cowrite lol, because it's been my dream for Carrie to collaborate with Lori. (smiley)

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    So she will be winning top female vocalist of the year forever? :P
    Probably at least for two or three more years.
    pklongbeach likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    It's worth pointing out that, in the last couple of months, Jessi Alexander has won Song of the Year at the CMAs, and gained two Grammy nominations.
    I'm particularly looking forward to hearing "Another Sunday In The South" - one of two she wrote with Miranda & Ashley.

(As an aside, which may be of interest to fans, Jessi is married to the "Oklahoma Wind" co-writer, Jon Randall)

gaycarebear and rainbow1 like this.

I'm excited the single is coming so soon.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    The Brett James co-write is very interesting because I do associate that with Carrie and a very mainstream type of country music. I'm a little hesitant to see if that sound will work for Miranda. I do think that Miranda is a fantastic writer so I'm glad to see it seems that she is doing more of it this time around. While Four the Record was a very solid album I do feel it fell short when comparing to Revolution and My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and a tad rushed. I hope that Blake kinda stays away from this album because I like Miranda's music more when she does her own thing. I love that Natalie Hemby, Lori McKenna, Ashley and Brandy Clark are all involved in this album if these rumored co-writes are true. I think they work well with Miranda's style (and I'd love Carrie to collaborate with them in the future too).
    lizcarlo and Farawayhills like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    I think we really cannot tell. We can safely rule out everybody that's around at the moment, namely Carrie, The Lord, Martina McBridge, and Reba McEntire. Probably never Kelly Clarkson either.

Her time will pass when there's another female breakthrough. Perhaps Kacey will destroy her in the next year or so.

Concert Stars
    IF it boils down to her and Kelly in the Fall, look for an upset with Kelly taking it.

Too many of you ar still being too naive about the Kelly-Project. What she and "the family" have done up to now has been remarkable. Do not underestimate that they can get her a CMA for singing.

You would be crazy to think so. (all kelly clarkson has to do is open her mouth and blow to deserve a singing award over Miranda. Just sayin'

Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    IF it boils down to her and Kelly in the Fall, look for an upset with Kelly taking it.

Too many of you ar still being too naive about the Kelly-Project. What she and "the family" have done up to now has been remarkable. Do not underestimate that they can get her a CMA for singing.

You would be crazy to think so. (all kelly clarkson has to do is open her mouth and blow to deserve a singing award over Miranda. Just sayin'
    I have to agree and just find it so sad. I like some of Miranda's, some of Kelly's but don't put them on the pedestal the industry and many others do and I'm finally getting the attitude of "whatever".
    rainbow1 and DaisyTweets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    I think Kelly Clarkson is going to win not sure about acm but she has cma female vocalist in the bag. She gotten nominated with just a duet when she was dating Reba step son. Now she is Reba step daughter and is expecting Reba and Narvel Blackstock grandchild. Plus she is releasing a country album. Miranda won cause of her connection to Blake who is winning awards cause of the voice and this past season he didn't win and I haven't read any tasteofcountry articles about the voice since Danielle Bradbery was on the show, that or I missed the articles. It all depends on when Clarkson releases her album. If it is before the cut off date then we might as well hand clarkson the award during the nominations she doesn't even have to have a top 20 single being married into the royal country music family and carring the next heir is going to be enough for the voters to vote for her cause it is mostly politics when it comes to winning awards.
    pklongbeach and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Concert Stars
    Absolutely!

She was already being nominated when she did not even have singles to submit basically.
    Why would anyone think she won't be nominated this year, with a very strong chance of taking it.

In honesty, if I were voting, I would have to vote Kelly. She is a very strong vocalist and if she had a decent single out, there would be no reason "not" to vote for her.

The interesting part is that Miranda and Kelly are both under the same umbrella of support.
    So where does that support go?
    I still think it leans towards Kelly, as the new IT girl.

Carrie won't even be in the running so I am not remotely concerned with her.
    rainbow1 and Marie2011 like this.

Not if she continues to flop.

Absolutely!

She was already being nominated when she did not even have singles to submit basically.
    Why would anyone think she won't be nominated this year, with a very strong chance of taking it.

In honesty, if I were voting, I would have to vote Kelly. She is a very strong vocalist and if she had a decent single out, there would be no reason "not" to vote for her.

The interesting part is that Miranda and Kelly are both under the same umbrella of support.
    So where does that support go?
    I still think it leans towards Kelly, as the new IT girl.

Carrie won't even be in the running so I am not remotely concerned with her.
    Kelly was nominated because there are no other notable females, not because she was strong.

•  
    Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast