Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Kacey Musgraves makes a case for female singer-songwriters in country music

Kacey Musgraves makes a case for female singer-songwriters in country music

I'm posting this because of one quote, in particular, I found interesting.

"For awhile, I think it was popular just to be pretty and have a big voice and not have much substance," Musgraves asserts. "I think it's cool that it's coming back around to where you're expected to have a little more, a different perspective."

She reiterates, "You can't just be a pretty face anymore."

Kacey Musgraves makes a case for female singer-songwriters in country music - National Country Music | Examiner.com

Concert Stars
    Statements like that are not cool!

Not even you guys around here would allow any posters to generalize that discreditingly.

Who is she suggesting is in Country Music and is only good as a pretty face and a big voice????

There are very few right now that can fill that description!

And even if she was speaking of the past; again who?? Faith Hill? Martina Mcbride? Trisha YEarwood?

Why would she even say something like that??

I hope I don't find out that I was wrong about her.

That was not a nice thing to say about the women around you, Hun!
    hjj, maddkat, DaisyTweets and 2 others like this.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    That was not very bright of Kacey virtually saying being pretty and big voice was synomous with no substance. How arrogant to think that. I was going to be supporting her but she will have to prove herself a little more for me to be a fan. Kacey is pretty so I don't know where she is coming from. Oh well to each their own.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    ^ I agree...how arrogant is she.

Just backs up what someone said in another thread the other day about her having an air of superiority about her.
    What she is is grossly overrated.
    liz278, DaisyTweets, hjj and 1 others like this.

Concert Stars
    And I so want to support women in country music. But when she says things like this, I lose a little respect for her. You know who she is talking about, who else in country music is beautiful and has a big voice. She is not talking about Miranda or Taylor . . .
    This feels more like high school than a profession. Can we not have drama?
    DaisyTweets, Inspired and rainbow1 like this.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Mmm, but she is freakin beatiful, and hot. She doesnt have the big voice, and I think "small" voices are normal in country music, it's not like the rule was/is have a big voice.

Concert Stars
    Well, that's interesting coming from her. I haven't liked any of her releases yet, nor her singing voice. Factor in her, arrogance, and I don't see myself liking her even a little bit. Personally, I have always thought she was overrated. We'll see if that will change in the future. I little humility goes a long way.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Wow talk about arrogance. She hasn't even made it and she's throwing out comments like that??? When I read her comment it took me back to the press room and the comment that Wynonna made. Still breaks my heart to watch a clip of that and see the big tears well up in Carrie's eyes.

Not cool Kacey! I was having trouble finding anything to like about her but I'm afraid she just lost me with that comment.
    AdamJ, Gator, hjj and 2 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Oh goodness reading that article just made me laugh! Blockbuster year??? Please her first weeks sales were not even 44,000 and she hasn't had any single charting higher than 10.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    That wasn't the smartest thing to say but it is her right to say so just like other stick their foot in their mouth comments that others in the industry have made over the last few months.

She will have to deal with any fallout from what she said just like Zac Brown & Gary Allen.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I really do not think there is any question whom she was referring to at all. She is a pop artist and making comments like that is not sitting well with me. She is an arrogant, overrated so called country artist in my opinion. Not smart at all......
    rainbow1 likes this.

I love Kacey, but yeah that quote kind of rubs the wrong way. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't mean something terrible by it, though. I think she's just saying that artists are expected to have something to say (although I don't agree with that, and I actually think the opposite is happening in mainstream country music. At least with the male artists - they aren't really saying anything in their singles).

This part of her quote is great:

With all this success, country music is still primarily a boys-only club. "Well, music has always been a male-dominated game," Musgraves tells Radio.com. "I feel like it's that way in every business scenario. But this is 2013, and we're moving forward. You know, there's a lot of guys on the charts, but there's a lot of girls that aren't on the charts...that haven't been heard yet that are making great music."

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    I really do not think there is any question whom she was referring to at all. She is a pop artist and making comments like that is not sitting well with me. She is an arrogant, overrated so called country artist in my opinion. Not smart at all......
    Kacey is a pop artist?
    JB172 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    Kacey is a pop artist?
    Isn't that what she was on the Voice? Didn't Blake talk her into going country? That is what I read somewhere. I also read that she was in a pop/rock band and made an album and it did not go anywhere. I have not been impressed with her from the beginning. I think Danielle B. is a much better vocalist that she is. However, I think Danielle needs to discover who she is. I think she mimics Carrie's style, etc. too much. I know that she admires Carrie and that is great, but, each artist must have their own style. I think Danielle could be important in the country industry someday.

Concert Stars
    ^I think you are referring to Casadee Pope.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
    Isn't that what she was on the Voice? Didn't Blake talk her into going country? That is what I read somewhere. I also read that she was in a pop/rock band and made an album and it did not go anywhere. I have not been impressed with her from the beginning. I think Danielle B. is a much better vocalist that she is. However, I think Danielle needs to discover who she is. I think she mimics Carrie's style, etc. too much. I know that she admires Carrie and that is great, but, each artist must have their own style. I think Danielle could be important in the country industry someday.
    You are thinking of Cassadee Pope, Kacey is likely the least "pop" sounding female in the country industry.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    You are thinking of Cassadee Pope, Kacey is likely the least "pop" sounding female in the country industry.
    That is probably right JB. I don't have much free times and I tend to rush through the posts at times and probably got confused. Sorry folks.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    I'm all for women seeing success and I'm really all for substance. I haven't heard Casey's album, only her singles, but from what I have heard I have to agree with the overrated sentiment. Merry Go Rond was downright maudlin to me. Saying she had a 'blockbuster' year is a stretch at best. While she is getting good critical reviews and has award nominations, one top ten hit and mediocre sales hardly qualifies as blockbuster status. I think she was speaking in general terms but I do think she is in danger of being seen as arrogant and elitist. In regards to Carrie, I don't think anyone could claim that an artist who has taken on domestic abuse, murder, loss, and the afterlife in lyrical content in the last year is lacking in substance.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I think the background to this is likely to have been influenced by Kacey's position as a Mainstream newcomer. While I agree that it can seem arrogant for any newcomer to disparage other styles, I can also see the sense in building up an image that distinguishes herself from potential rivals. She is, in effect, establishing herself in the format as a leading new attraction at a time when some powerful insiders appear to be assisting, if not actively grooming, Kelly Clarkson, to be the "next big thing" in the Mainstream. (It's also possible that some have the same idea for Cassadee Pope - who may be receiving encouragement from Blake Shelton - though Pope's entry has taken me more by surprise). Clarkson and Pope both come from a Pop background, whereas Musgraves comes from a Texas Roots background. Kelly Clarkson, certainly, and Cassadee Pope probably, seem to belong to the "big voice" tradition, and seem more interpreters of existing songs. On two recent examples, posted on this board, I thought Kelly Clarkson in "Tennessee Waltz" and Cassadee Pope in "Over You" relied considerably on a power vocal - which I didn't think suited either song particularly well - but, in any case, is very different from Kacey's own style. Also, Kacey's style depends on lines that contain wry and sometimes quirky observations and criticisms - something that benefits from a description along the lines of "singer/somgwriter" to emphasize its differences.

I've followed Kacey for a number of years. Her early days were assisted by Rick Lambert, Miranda's father, who often co-wrote with her and led her band. Her present Nashville drive is certainly influenced by Shane McAnally, her co-producer and frequent co-writer, and (in particular) by Brandy Clark, whom she praises in this interview. ("Mama's Broken Heart" for example is stylistically very much a Brandy song). Hence I'd say there is some exaggeration involved in putting herself forward personally as the big new flavour in Mainstream Country. Nevertheless, I think it's an understandable exaggeration - there is some need to emphasize your differences in a market that provides few opportunities for women. And I think there is the likelihood of some tussle developing between the Kelly Clarkson style and the Kacey Musgraves style, with Kelly probably appealing more to the fans of the longer-established female vocal emphasis on power ballad singing, and Kacey more to the new wave of more story driven and edgy vocals (which I feel Carrie also addressed with several of the songs on her current album - one which upped the songwriter element, had a somewhat more Roots feel, and seemed to me to move away, relatively speaking, from the vocal style she'd explored earlier in songs like "Wasted" and "So Small").
    epicamends likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I'm all for women seeing success and I'm really all for substance. I haven't heard Casey's album, only her singles, but from what I have heard I have to agree with the overrated sentiment. Merry Go Rond was downright maudlin to me. Saying she had a 'blockbuster' year is a stretch at best. While she is getting good critical reviews and has award nominations, one top ten hit and mediocre sales hardly qualifies as blockbuster status. I think she was speaking in general terms but I do think she is in danger of being seen as arrogant and elitist. In regards to Carrie, I don't think anyone could claim that an artist who has taken on domestic abuse, murder, loss, and the afterlife in lyrical content in the last year is lacking in substance.

So much for the girls sticking together to form a united front against the "boy's club." With an arrogant statement like that....it's more like "let's throw Carrie under the bus."
    This is exactly the type of BS that Carrie has had to deal with for 8 years now. She has had top notch tours, a gazillion #1 hits, stats to die for, a dedicated fan base AND
    she has WORKED her rear off!! I am so disgusted with comments like this....I think there is alot of petty jealously coming from this gal.
    AdamJ, maddkat, Inspired and 4 others like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast