Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Country brodown: Every truck, beer, jeans, moonlight, and 'girl' reference on the

Country brodown: Every truck, beer, jeans, moonlight, and 'girl' reference on the

Country brodown: Every truck, beer, jeans, moonlight, and 'girl' reference on the current chart

Just how bro is "bro country" right now?It'ss pretty bro, bro.

In case you haven't heard, the whole country music genre has been fighting a civil war lately over the rise of "bro country" in popular Nashville-produced music. Coined by New York Magazine's Jody Rosen, the term "bro country" refers to "music by and of the tatted, gym-toned, party-hearty young American white dude". If [Florida Georgia Line's smash] "Cruise" were a guy at a bar, he would sidle up to the hottest blonde in the room, laugh loudly at his own jokes, and, after crashing and burning with a couple of lame pickup lines, ask, "Have you heard this awesome song?" Whereupon he would whip out his iPhone and dial up the video for Florida Georgia Line's Cruise.

As such, you may not be surprised to see similar phrases in the different song lyrics quoted below. But let's stop beating around the truck - here are all of the most egregious bro-country references on the current country chart, in the order in which they appeared on iTunes:
    The list of current bro-country songs (lol) at: Every truck, beer, and 'girl' reference on the current country chart | The Music Mix | EW.com

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    A little fight back (and you might have guessed - the song comes from Brandy Clark and Shane McAnally)

rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    I know that there are plenty of people who still love country music but this is why I have stopped listening to country music. I can't stand this music. But the problem is that there are more people who love it.

Concert Stars
    Some of it is just downright demeaning to women!! "Slide you ass over here", He's "pissed off, and going to drive his truck right into her bedroom"!! Their egos have gone berserk!!!

I am so glad this is starting to get mainstream attention.

Obsessed Chart Watcher cary78663's Avatar
    So among the CMA EOTY nominees we have a country legend that is getting the nostalgia vote because he is doing his final tour, a female country artist who has moved on to pure pop and 3 of the leading members of bro country. What is wrong with this picture??????
    Last edited by cary78663; 10-19-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by cary78663 View Post
    So among the CMA EOTY nominees we have a country legend that is getting the nostalgia vote because he is doing his final tour, a female country artist who has moved on to pure pop and 3 of the leading members of bro country. What is wrong with this picture??????
    Everything.
    bluetb4 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    "Of the Top 40 country songs on iTunes, Ashley Gorley co-wrote EIGHT, Rhett Akins co-wrote five, and Dallas Davidson (who has spoken out about Zac Brown’s comments already), Chris Destafano, and Rodney Clawson each co-wrote four."
    I should think I'm probably about the least Mainstream-focused fan on this board. Although I do admire some of the artists who've made it in the Mainstream, i would never let the charts determine my view of Country Music or of current trends across the spectrum of styles that make up its varied collection of sub-genres. That said, though, I am going to put in a word of defence for the songwriters. The fact is that songwriters do not create the demand - they will typically provide songs and styles that the market they work in requires. And that often involves working in a variety of styles for a diverse variety of artists. For example, Hillary Lindsey (who is not mentioned here) has been involved in writing songs I greatly admire, but also ones that are a long way off my personal musical taste (such as "Fearless". "See You Again" and "Breathing Underwater").That's very much the way many successful writers work

Of those who are mentioned here, Ashley Gorley has been involved in two of my favourite Carrie songs, "Don't Forget To Remember Me", and "Good Girl" (as well as one of my not-so-favourites "All American Girl"). All of those have been big hit singles for Carrie (and a recent write-up suggested that he's on "hugging" terms with Carrie when they meet at events.) Chris de Stefano was also a co-writer on "Good Girl" - and that is a song that I shall always defend as one of Carrie's most ambitious, most musically varied and most vocally powerful.

Admittedly, the "bro songs" couldn't exist if writers weren't prepared to provide them - and it's also undeniable that they contain stereotype-laden lyrics, themes and imagery, which the writers settle for too readily, in their willingness to satisfy the formula. But I do think it's overly simplistic to blame the songwriters. The songs would languish with hundreds of others, both good and bad, in the writers' and publishers' archives, if singers and record labels didn't jump at them. The reason they do is because Mainstream radio currently shows an insatiable demand for light weight, unchallenging, "feel good" party songs, laced with a few stock "rural" life style images like dirt roads, fishing holes, trucks and beer. And fans have to share that blame. Although these are, justifiably, described as "bro" songs, women make up a large part of the audience for these singers, support these artists and give positive call out reactions to these "feel good" songs.. Unless that changes, more women are unlikely to get on Mainstream radio, and more edgy or challenging songs are unlikely to make up a higher proportion of the playlists.

And I'm afraid it does seem to me that this board is not immune from that tendency. Although the absence of more women from radio is decried - it's also true that quite a few fans here react negatively when other female singers do seem to be getting success. Luke Bryan is still receiving quite strong support on this board - and last year I remember fans calling on us to vote for Jason Aldean, on the grounds that it was better for him to win an award than for another woman to win it. That doesn't suggest that the "Bro" songs are as big a turn-off for some as they are for others.

So, yes, I do agree the present Mainstream has a more noticeable predominance of formulaic "good time" songs - and that that is a problem - but I don't think it's a problem that Mainstream fans are yet agreed on making a determined effort to solve. Unless and until radio gets a widespread message that its audience is tired of these songs, I don't see a rush to change things.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^^good point - I don't care for a lot of country music these days . . . and that goes for a few of the women singers. But that being said I hope that even though I am not a fan of them I hope that more women will be played on the radio. If I am going to listen to country music I listen to Pandora. If I don't like the song I pass and if I don't like the singer it's thumbs down.
    rainbow1 and DaisyTweets like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    ^^good point - I don't care for a lot of country music these days . . . and that goes for a few of the women singers. But that being said I hope that even though I am not a fan of them I hope that more women will be played on the radio. If I am going to listen to country music I listen to Pandora. If I don't like the song I pass and if I don't like the singer it's thumbs down.
    Until someone besides Carrie, Miranda or Taylor can put together more than one hit single, no other female is going to get played on a consistent basis.

Kramer couldn't do it, it remains to be seen if Musgraves can do it and it's to early for Bradbery or Pope to know if they will be able to do anything.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    Until someone besides Carrie, Miranda or Taylor can put together more than one hit single, no other female is going to get played on a consistent basis.

Kramer couldn't do it, it remains to be seen if Musgraves can do it and it's to early for Bradbery or Pope to know if they will be able to do anything.
    The women themselves have very little control. It's whether radio will let them in. The pressure should go to radio...not the woman trying to make a living. Just saying.
    Claire2004 and nccountrygal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow1 View Post
    Some of it is just downright demeaning to women!! "Slide you ass over here", He's "pissed off, and going to drive his truck right into her bedroom"!! Their egos have gone berserk!!!
    It has always been demeaning to women:

'...the head of the woman is the man.'

'Let the women learn in silence with all subjection.'

'Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands...let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.'

'Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home...'

'Give me any plague, but the plague of the heart: and any wickedness, but the wickedness of a woman.'

'Of the woman came the beginning of sin, and through her we all die.'

'A silent and loving woman is a gift of the Lord...'

This is a culture built on demeaning women.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    ^^^The first 4 quotes, from the Bible, need to be taken in context. It is obvious that you do not understand these Bible verses and are using them to make an illegitimate point. God gives women much much more honor, especially in the Old Testament and Jesus' day, than any other culture during that time. It was a woman that first saw and touched the resurrected Christ. There are many more examples in the Bible.

If you want to begin to understand the Bible, you need to consider the "whole counsel of God" (the entire Bible) and not just snippets. And one needs the Holy Spirit for true illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi314CA View Post
    ^^^The first 4 quotes, from the Bible,
    All were from The Bible.

need to be taken in context.
    Give me the contexts which would show that they are not demeaning women.

It is obvious that you do not understand these Bible verses and are using them to make an illegitimate point.
    It is obvious that you are blinded-folded by your religious belief and chose to be oblivious to the obvious sexist nature of many Bible verses.

God gives women much much more honor, especially in the Old Testament and Jesus' day, than any other culture during that time.
    So is the Hebrew god the god of the time of the old testament and Jesus's days, or the god who's supposed to be timeless, all-knowing, all-powerful, and all good? Is this god somehow restricted by the time he was 'in'?

It was a woman that first saw and touched the resurrected Christ. There are many more examples in the Bible.
    It was a woman who ate the forbidden fruit and seduced a man to eat it. There are many more examples in The Bible.

If you want to begin to understand the Bible, you need to consider the "whole counsel of God" (the entire Bible) and not just snippets.
    So again, is the Hebrew god a god restricted by his time and geographical location, instead of a supernatural god?

And one needs the Holy Spirit for true illumination.
    And one needs intelligence and proper education for true comprehension.

---

Never the less, your post just confirms my view that you do have some problems understanding texts. My post concerns the culture current country music and modern-day America were built on. The culture involves interpreting these sexist verses literally. The culture was developed with, for example, people who looked for witches to burn alive, even though it was quite obvious even in The Bible in whatever context that nobody was meant to just assert someone as a witch and burn her alive. The Bible, or any gods' intentions is irrelevant.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    The women themselves have very little control. It's whether radio will let them in. The pressure should go to radio...not the woman trying to make a living. Just saying.
    I get SICK of hearing that lame ass excuse, if a female not named Lambert, Swift or Underwood would ACUTALLY do something with a second single they would get played, but nobody not named Lambert, Swift or Underwood has done so, name one female who has put out a second single that has actually done something who doesn't get played.

I get SICK of hearing that lame ass excuse, if a female not named Lambert, Swift or Underwood would ACUTALLY do something with a second single they would get played, but nobody not named Lambert, Swift or Underwood has done so, name one female who has put out a second single that has actually done something who doesn't get played.
    I'm curious since I don't understand what you mean by "do something with a second single". Are you saying that the follow-up singles from the females other than Carrie, Miranda or Taylor are actually inferior to all the crap the guys are putting out that is making the top 10?
    epicamends likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I'm curious since I don't understand what you mean by "do something with a second single". Are you saying that the follow-up singles from the females other than Carrie, Miranda or Taylor are actually inferior to all the crap the guys are putting out that is making the top 10?
    Cary, if you are a program director at a radio station and your job is on the line are you going to play someone your listeners actually want to listen to or are you going to play Jana Kramer because she is a woman?

Sorry, but I do not buy at all that the poor females outside of the Big 3 don't get played because they are female, they don't get played because nobody wants to listen to them.

Honestly does anyone actually think that the labels and the industry wouldn't love to have another female outside the Big 3 do something.

If I was program director and my job was on the line Luke Bryan could sing the alphabet and if it was in the Top 10 and people wanted to listen to it over whatever female outside of the Big 3 anyone wants to name who people don't want to listen to I am going to play Luke Bryan singing the ABC's.

To answer your question that is exactly what I am saying, a great song by whatever female artist you want to name doesn't pay the bills if people turn to another country station in your market to find someone they want to listen to.

Junior Carrie Follower Inspired's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    At least for me country music has become all or nothing in the type of music hitting radio. It becomes annoying when over 80% - 90% of the songs are this "bro" type and there is no counterbalance. For me Carrie has hit after hit due to her range of lyrics; some just fun and some with light to heavy messages. At least Carrie changes up her releases and stays fresh. If radio is not careful we will soon be complaining about every song sounding like one continuous heartache while drinking whiskey on a wooden porch.

Cary, if you are a program director at a radio station and your job is on the line are you going to play someone your listeners actually want to listen to or are you going to play Jana Kramer because she is a woman?

Sorry, but I do not buy at all that the poor females outside of the Big 3 don't get played because they are female, they don't get played because nobody wants to listen to them.

Honestly does anyone actually think that the labels and the industry wouldn't love to have another female outside the Big 3 do something.

If I was program director and my job was on the line Luke Bryan could sing the alphabet and if it was in the Top 10 and people wanted to listen to it over whatever female outside of the Big 3 anyone wants to name who people don't want to listen to I am going to play Luke Bryan singing the ABC's.

To answer your question that is exactly what I am saying, a great song by whatever female artist you want to name doesn't pay the bills if people turn to another country station in your market to find someone they want to listen to.
    Ok, let's take a simple example. Right now the top 5 on Mediabase are:

#1 Luke Bryan's That's My Kind Of Night (after 12 weeks)
    #2 Thomas Rhett's It Goes Like This (after 25 weeks)
    #3 Tim McGraw's Southern Girl (after 17 weeks)
    #4 Blake Shelton's Mine Would Be You (after 14 weeks)
    #5 Chris Young's Aw Naw (after 24 weeks)

and further down is:

#25 Cassadee's Pope's Wasting All These Tears (after 20 weeks)

The top 5 country songs on iTunes are:

#1 Luke Bryan's That's My Kind Of Night
    #2 Cassadee's Pope's Wasting All These Tears
    #3 Thomas Rhett's It Goes Like This
    #4 Taylor Swift's Everything Has Changed (which has no business in a country list)
    #5 Blake Shelton's Mine Would Be You (after 14 weeks)

and further down is:

#17 Chris Young's Aw Naw (after 24 weeks)
    #20 Tim McGraw's Southern Girl (after 17 weeks)

And since people are willing to pay for it, people do want to hear Cassadee's song. Yet country radio is certainly not giving it the same level of support as other top songs on iTunes. So you are not going to convince me that the female artist's struggles are simply because people don't want to hear their songs.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Ok, let's take a simple example. Right now the top 5 on Mediabase are:

#1 Luke Bryan's That's My Kind Of Night (after 12 weeks)
    #2 Thomas Rhett's It Goes Like This (after 25 weeks)
    #3 Tim McGraw's Southern Girl (after 17 weeks)
    #4 Blake Shelton's Mine Would Be You (after 14 weeks)
    #5 Chris Young's Aw Naw (after 24 weeks)

and further down is:

#25 Cassadee's Pope's Wasting All These Tears (after 20 weeks)

The top 5 country songs on iTunes are:

#1 Luke Bryan's That's My Kind Of Night
    #2 Cassadee's Pope's Wasting All These Tears
    #3 Thomas Rhett's It Goes Like This
    #4 Taylor Swift's Everything Has Changed (which has no business in a country list)
    #5 Blake Shelton's Mine Would Be You (after 14 weeks)

and further down is:

#17 Chris Young's Aw Naw (after 24 weeks)
    #20 Tim McGraw's Southern Girl (after 17 weeks)

And since people are willing to pay for it, people do want to hear Cassadee's song. Yet country radio is certainly not giving it the same level of support as other top songs on iTunes. So you are not going to convince me that the female artist's struggles are simply because people don't want to hear their songs.
    As usual totally disagree.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast