Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Kelly Clarkson - Full Country Album Era

Kelly Clarkson - Full Country Album Era

Kelly confirmed to radio station US 99.5 that she'll be releasing a full length country album early next year, as well as a full length pop album (!!!).

She's also trying to work out a collaboration with Little Big Town.

In another interview, she says Reba and Trisha are tossing around an idea to do a full length album together (!!!).

I figured this deserved a new thread for her country album.

Kelly Clarkson Teases TV Christmas Special, 'The Crazy Ones,' Collaborations & Miley Cyrus's "Wrecking Ball" (VIDEO) mjsbigblog

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    In the case of an established artist, with a strong media identity, and past format albums and hits, I think it's often going to be easier to cross into Country from outside than it is to cross out the other way. This is because an established Country artist comes with an image and back story that many Pop journalists and fans dislike, and may disparage. To put it bluntly, Mainstream Country tends to see a Pop artist who wants to make an album in their sector as bringing in some "cool". Many in Pop think they already have "cool" - and don't see Country as adding to that image.

I think artists from outside can make good Country albums that they take seriously, and invest a lot of musical energy in (For me, Bon Jovi were a case in point)

I would wait to base judgment though, on what the album sounds like, not on who the artist is.
    gaycarebear likes this.

Concert Stars
    ha ha ha, well ok. At least we can now have some legitimate country music in the form of a complete project to look at an analize.

ITs unfortunate, for me, that it will be well placed within the context of the release of a complete pop album.
    Which of course points directly to the idea that everyone has been complaining about all along.

IF you want to be a country artist, be one.
    IF you want to be a pop artist, be one.

But putting out this mass product on all fronts and thinking that it is going to come across as "authentic" (which is what your personna suggests you try to be) makes no sense. ITs not authentic. Its a money making venture and nothing else.

Fine wiht me. I am tired of trying to figure out Who Kelly Clarkson is or what kind of art she thinks she is creating.
    I'll just judge it on if I like it or not. No more or no less.

But artistic? No.
    DaisyTweets, AdamJ, CUFan7 and 1 others like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Wow talk about a Kelly overload -- Christmas album now to be followed up by not one but two more albums early next year. Interesting career choices.

I agree with you, Paddy, doesn't feel very artistic!

PS. Real nice of her to let the cat out of the bag about what Trisha and Reba might or might not do. I would've preferred to hear it from either one of them but whatever.
    AdamJ and pklongbeach like this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Wow---Overload for sure. Even though I have all of Kelly's albums I will not be buying any more now. I quit buying music from some of the Nashville gang last year. My friends and I (and everyone we know) agree that the only way to voice a protest to the voters is to quit buying the regular winner's music. We may not make a difference but I know hundreds of dollars will not be going into their coffers any more from us.
    DaisyTweets and red40 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Personally, I am thrilled about this. Kelly is finally going all in with a country album. Her fans have wanted one for a while. I think it makes sense to release a pop album as well, so as not to alienate some of her audience that might not like country music. I don't think an artist needs to be pigeon-holed.

For those of you that don't follow Kelly's career, here's how it seems the pop and country albums came about: Kelly has been working on new music for several months now. She originally was going to release just one album that combined songs that would be from both genres. However, they must feel like they have enough material they are happy with to make them into two separate albums. The two album talk has only come about in the last few weeks.

I have no idea how someone can label the two albums unartistic when we haven't even heard the material. Releasing two albums in one year is necessarily unartistic. Kelly seems really happy with her career right now, and for the first time in a long time she seems like she is making the music really wants to make. Kelly has never been shy about voicing her love for country music. I think we all should have seen this coming.

So, Adam, you quit buying Kelly's music because she happens to be friends with the popular country crowd? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Personally, I buy music I like. It doesn't matter if that person is winning or if that person's friends are popular. It makes me sad to think you will stop buying Kelly's music just because of her current affiliations with Blake, Miranda, and company.

I could say so much more on this topic, but it'll only get me in trouble.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyTweets View Post
    Wow talk about a Kelly overload -- Christmas album now to be followed up by not one but two more albums early next year. Interesting career choices.

I agree with you, Paddy, doesn't feel very artistic!

PS. Real nice of her to let the cat out of the bag about what Trisha and Reba might or might not do. I would've preferred to hear it from either one of them but whatever.
    Obviously, she must have permission to mention the potential project. It's not like she is speaking for them. She mentioned a project she might be a part of in the future. It's not a crime. Artists do it all the time. Why should we wait to hear it from one of them?
    Pitocco likes this.

Concert Stars
    I'm not nearly as excited about this as I am for Kelly's Christmas album, but I'm intrigued. I hope she goes more old school. Her voice is just mesmerizing on the older country tunes she's covered.

I guess I'll never quite understand where people are coming from with Kelly hate. She's one of the most genuine, black-and-white people in the entertainment industry lol.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    I didn't upload any of these videos. Credit goes to them (smiley). I do think old school would fit Kelly's voice based on the covers she's done. I prefer these two over her cover of Still The One and Top of the World (although the latter could be because I really only identify that song with Natalie's voice. I think the times she's tried modern production MKIT (country version) and even Don't You Wanna Stay it just doesn't suit Kelly's voice.

Kelly Clarkson Grammys 2013 Tennessee Waltz and Natural Woman - YouTube

Kelly Clarkson - Walkaway Joe - YouTube
    allamericangirl8 likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Also I've been waiting for a Trisha album for a while so I'm glad to hear she has something in the works.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    lookong forward to Trisha's album.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    Didn't Kelly say she would never release a full country album a couple a years ago?
    terilyn and simonplay like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gocountrymusic View Post
    I didn't upload any of these videos. Credit goes to them (smiley). I do think old school would fit Kelly's voice based on the covers she's done. I prefer these two over her cover of Still The One and Top of the World (although the latter could be because I really only identify that song with Natalie's voice. I think the times she's tried modern production MKIT (country version) and even Don't You Wanna Stay it just doesn't suit Kelly's voice.

Kelly Clarkson Grammys 2013 Tennessee Waltz and Natural Woman - YouTube

Kelly Clarkson - Walkaway Joe - YouTube
    The problem, for me, is that I can't (yet) relate to her voice - I find it often too loud and forceful for my taste - and I particularly notice that in "Tennessee Waltz", which I'm afraid I find "over sung". I guess this criticism may not apply for people who admire the "power diva" style, but for me it takes some getting used to.

"Tennessee Waltz" was earlier a male song, and I would recommend the 1947 original, for its wonderfully evocative music, which speaks volumes for what's often lost in Nashville Country
    Pee Wee King - Tennessee Waltz - Country Music Experience - YouTube

However, vocally, it was an Oklahoma "crossover" lady singer who took this song to the stars - and it was her that Kelly was paying tribute to in the Grammy clip. But if you compare Patti Page's singing, you may see why I think the song does not need such an emphatic approach

Nevertheless, I'd be interested to see what sort of material she chooses for the original songs on her proposed album.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    Didn't Kelly say she would never release a full country album a couple a years ago?
    It would be a boring and sad world if no one were ever allowed to change their minds.

I still don't feel like Kelly's voice is suited to country music (it will always sound pop/rock to me). But at least now she'll have a legitimate reason to be nominated for FVOTY. (Watch her win next year.)

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    If Kelly wants to go country good for her, I don't see what the big deal is with her going country.
    supercarriefan and Pitocco like this.

Concert Stars
    Im so excited!!! Can't wait to hear her country album!

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    I think she said she would release a country album after My December and the success of 'Because of You' with Reba McEntire. But instead we got All I Ever Wanted. What she said, I believe, was that she will never be a full-on country artist.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    I'm not nearly as excited about this as I am for Kelly's Christmas album, but I'm intrigued. I hope she goes more old school. Her voice is just mesmerizing on the older country tunes she's covered.

I guess I'll never quite understand where people are coming from with Kelly hate. She's one of the most genuine, black-and-white people in the entertainment industry lol.
    I am really looking foward to the christmas album as well.

...and I am not sure it is fair to say people Hate Kelly Clarkson...

What it sounds like to me, and I have tried to state by can't seem to use the proper words for people to understand, is that I have always accepted Kelly as an artist. Someone who puts specific focus to a specific dicipline and honors that. And I don't feel like that is who she is anymore.

Its starting to feel like she is just a girl who can sing and wants to sing whatever she feels like when ever she feels like it. Which is totally fine! And that can be what it is.
    But if we start talking about people who commit themselves to making something great, not just for the hcek of it, and present passion for it and deliever it to the public as something they are would like to be accepted for (much like Sheryl has done with this new country verture she is embarking on) than I think it can be looked at seriously.
    As it is with Kelly right now, I just don't feel like I can take what she is doing all that seriously cause I don't "feel" like she is taking it all that seriously.

It literally feels no different to me than Lady Gaga releasing a country single. Which gaga did, but people did not take it seriously, and why should they?
    So it is hard for me to take Kelly seriously when she does something like "I am going to make a country album for my country fans and a pop album to keep my pop fans happy".

Thats just a little more commerical than I would expect from her (or at least used to expect from her).

So you must pardon those who don't take her efforts that seriously.

It doesn't equate to "Hate".

Concert Stars
    Hate, bash, irrationally rag on, it's all the same to me and it has pretty much the same effect no matter what euphemism makes you feel better.
    supercarriefan likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast