Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Zac Brown says Luke Bryan's "That's My Kind Of Night" Worst Song Ever

Zac Brown says Luke Bryan's "That's My Kind Of Night" Worst Song Ever

Zac Brown says Luke Bryan's "That's My Kind Of Night" Worst Song Ever

Another day, another country artist coming out against the current direction of country music. The latest is Southern rocker Zac Brown of the Zac Brown Band, who not only had some unkind words about the state of country music, but specifically set Luke Bryan’s song “That’s My Kind Of Night” in his crosshairs—the current #1 song in country music right now according to Billboard. In an interview on 93.7 JR FM in Vancouver, Canada with Barbara Beam, Zac Brown said in part:

I love Luke Bryan and he’s had some great songs, but this new song is the worst song I’ve ever heard. I know Luke, he’s a friend. ‘My Kind Of Night’ is one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard. I see it being commercially successful, in what is called country music these days, but I also feel like that the people deserve something better than that. Country fans and country listeners deserve to have something better than that, a song that really has something to say, something that makes you feel something. Good music makes you feel something. When songs make me wanna throw up, it makes me ashamed to even be in the same genre as those songs.

More at: Zac Brown Says Luke Bryan?s ?That?s My Kind Of Night? Worst Song Ever Saving Country Music

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Thank you, ZBB for speaking out and saying what many of us have been thinking.

This 'frat boy' country is tiresome, and some fans actually want some substance.

That said, TMKN is selling because the public is supporting it (and anything Luke puts out), so of course he's going to keep doing it. He became a superstar because of these types of songs, so his label is pumping out the same material.

It's a vicious cycle, because I wanna say the fans would buy better music if they had it, but I doubt LB fans really care about substance, anyway. And it's not always the case that fans buy great songs over horrid ones. Luke and co are just following a business model that seems to be working, wile the rest of us are paying for it. Ugh.

Quality is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

This 'frat boy' country is tiresome, and some fans actually want some substance.

That said, TMKN is selling because the public is supporting it (and anything Luke puts out), so of course he's going to keep doing it. He became a superstar because of these types of songs, so his label is pumping out the same material.

It's a vicious cycle, because I wanna say the fans would buy better music if they had it, but I doubt LB fans really care about substance, anyway. And it's not always the case that fans buy great songs over horrid ones. Luke and co are just following a business model that seems to be working, wile the rest of us are paying for it. Ugh.
    In fact that's rarely the case. People like easy, fluffy songs that don't make them think too much. Look at pop music and how popular it is. Generally the "best" (using quotation marks because, yes, music is subjective) songs/albums sell far less and are less popular than the catchy but horrible songs.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    As with Gary Allan, I like that Zac said what he wanted to say and not be PC about it but same as Gary Allan, Zac is going to have to deal with any fallout that may come from his comments.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    It's nice to see some artists speaking out about their feelings on the current state of country music, but nothing will change as a result. Nashville is going to be keep doing what they are currently doing because it makes money. The only thing that will cause a change is if the fans stop supporting it.

Also, nobody seems willing to tackle one of the biggest problems in country music right now: the success of Florida Georgia Line. It also doesn't account for the fact that Taylor was just nominated for several CMA awards despite pandering to a pop audience this era.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    I guess if you write a string of song with titles like "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk", "That's How Country Boys Roll," "Put a Girl in It", "Gimmie That Girl", "Country Girl (Shake It for Me)", & "That's My Kind of Night", you could say Dallas Davidson is not one to let a stereotype pass by without making a buck on it. But can you really blame him? It's the artists and the record labels who demand these "good time" cliche songs, laced with some stock "Country" imagery (using amounting to a few over-used words) in the lyric. And they would probably say they demand them because they become easy hit material on radio. And the radio stations would probably say they use them a lot, because the audience seem to be happy with them. They'd probably argue that more unusual songs like "All Kinds of Kinds" aren't what the market gives more than token acceptance to. So who is really to blame?

I'm really only interested in the Mainstream because it's where Carrie (and a few others) base their careers. Because they do, though, I would like it to became more varied and adventurous. Zac Brown is one of the people who are interested in those qualities - and I see recent progress being made in that direction (so far, I have to say, more by women and groups than by many of the male soloists). I agree there's a lot of room for improvement - and the particular category of song that Brown is targeting can be one of the more obvious areas for "stereotype fatigue".

However, I think naming a particular song, a particular songwriter or a particular artist oversimplifies the situation, and can be counter-productive, in alienating people who enjoy the current hits. The problem, as I see it, is not in having dirt road anthems and good time party songs - but in having too many of them. Not everyone wants deeper "angst" songs or complex imagery. What is needed is more variety and more room for experiment. Carrie, I feel, has shown that it can be done without sacrificing radio or audience support (but the scant thanks she gets from some in the industry show that this isn't an easy achievement). There are certainly others fighting for broader playlists - but attacking specific current songs in terms like "worst ever" may not be the best way to make progress.

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post

But considering how popular he is right now, he could release a "better" song, with more substance and it will do good too. I mean, based on the comments on his youtube videos and based on the reaction in those videos, this guy seems to have every girl/woman out there on his feet, a nice love/relationship gone bad maybe kind of song would only help him more.

I like the song! I mean, is not a award winning song but is catchy! So I agree, is a bad song but is a catchy song too. lol
    Pitocco likes this.

sco
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by simonplay View Post
    I like the song! I mean, is not a award winning song but is catchy! So I agree, is a bad song but is a catchy song too. lol
    I'm really not trying to pick on Simon but this comment points to the root of the problem. As long as people are buying it, and excusing it with 'yeah but it's catchy' then they are going to keep doing exactly what they have been doing. I've seen people make the case that not everything needs to be deep and meaningful which is of course true. However, if the majority of the recent catalog of most of the top artists in country music, I'm talking especially Luke and Blake, go no deeper than picking up chicks in bars then we have a major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sco View Post
    I'm really not trying to pick on Simon but this comment points to the root of the problem. As long as people are buying it, and excusing it with 'yeah but it's catchy' then they are going to keep doing exactly what they have been doing. I've seen people make the case that not everything needs to be deep and meaningful which is of course true. However, if the majority of the recent catalog of most of the top artists in country music, I'm talking especially Luke and Blake, go no deeper than picking up chicks in bars then we have a major problem.
    lol Agree!! but how you can stop that? Look at Taylor, she doesnt write about chicks and bars but she sing about boyfriends only! But what can we do if her songs are catchy? people will buy it, How we can stop that!? I think we cant! :P

In my favor, is the only song I hear from Luke. And I dont listen any song by Blake. :-D

Obsessed Carrie Fan Cathie Wynkoop's Avatar
    Back in Kansas.....there's no place like home!!!
    Concert Stars
    That song might be "catchy", but it's not a song people will remember 10 years from now. Most of the songs out right now won't be remembered for long. People have short-term memories these days. Someone and something else will come along soon.

Concert Stars
    I wouldn't say worst song ever, but it isn't that sort of song that's going to go down in the books. The comment is pretty blunt and harsh, but coming not totally unjustified. Zac Brown Band is putting out some of the best country music out there right now (in my opinion). It's not always as commercially successful, but those guys are serious musicians. Great melodies and harmonies.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

It's definitely the worst song ever simply because Zac Brown doesn't listen to enough music. Though it's possible that he doesn't consider songs like 'Truck Yeah' songs but noise. Or sound. Or terrorist attacks.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^Oh yeah... Truck Yeah is terrible!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wonton View Post
    ^Oh yeah... Truck Yeah is terrible!!!!!!!!
    And there actually are worse country or non-country songs...And there are songs that are even worse which hardly anybody knew of. I think 'That's My Kind of Night' certainly isn't the 'worst song ever'. Though I'm also not inclined to think that Zac Brown is saying this for press time (maybe he is, who knows?), so I don't know.

^^What about Jason Aldean's 1994? I'd consider it more horrible than That's My Kind of Night lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire2004 View Post
    ^^What about Jason Aldean's 1994? I'd consider it more horrible than That's My Kind of Night lol.
    I actually quite like it. But my point is there are a lot more songs that are worse than TMKON, including a lot of them that didn't turn out to be hits or known to most.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    It's nice to see some artists speaking out about their feelings on the current state of country music, but nothing will change as a result. Nashville is going to be keep doing what they are currently doing because it makes money. The only thing that will cause a change is if the fans stop supporting it.

Also, nobody seems willing to tackle one of the biggest problems in country music right now: the success of Florida Georgia Line. It also doesn't account for the fact that Taylor was just nominated for several CMA awards despite pandering to a pop audience this era.
    It is all about the $$$$ and that is right as long as people keep buying it TPTB will keep selling it.
    supercarriefan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    I actually quite like it. But my point is there are a lot more songs that are worse than TMKON, including a lot of them that didn't turn out to be hits or known to most.
    Like you've said previously, though, it's all subjective. What is one person's "worst song ever" may be someone else's favourite song.
    Claire2004 and supercarriefan like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast