Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: AP Source: Bruno Mars to sing at Super Bowl half

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

AP Source: Bruno Mars to sing at Super Bowl half

Y! SPORTS Well that sure in an interesting choice, I like Bruno a lot but with the Super Bowl being in the NYC area I though they would go bigger than this.
    rainbow1 and opry051008 like this.

SB has taken a lot of flak for staging too many big name dinosaur haz-beens. Maybe they want a younger guy. Bruno will bring a party atmosphere.

Bruno Mars has quite a small catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    Bruno Mars has quite a small catalogue.
    There's only enough time to play 2-3 songs.

Concert Stars
    They couldn't get Carrie Underwood for the Super Bowl!? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chevrolet View Post
    There's only enough time to play 2-3 songs.
    Most acts performed more than 2-3 songs, and mostly really well-known hits with long-lasting cultural impact. Do people still remember 'Just The Way You Are'? I'm assuming that he will do covers.

I'm not even sure if people would really know him. There are a long list of people who are more fitting, and I'm only listing current artists:

Taylor Swift
    Carrie Underwood
    P!nk
    Lady GaGa
    Justin Timberlake
    Backstreet Boys
    Kenny Chesney
    Lady Antebellum
    Sugarland
    Rascal Flatts
    Faith Hill
    Tim McGraw
    Rihanna
    etc.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    Most acts performed more than 2-3 songs, and mostly really well-known hits with long-lasting cultural impact. Do people still remember 'Just The Way You Are'? I'm assuming that he will do covers.

I'm not even sure if people would really know him. There are a long list of people who are more fitting, and I'm only listing current artists:

Taylor Swift
    Carrie Underwood
    P!nk
    Lady GaGa
    Justin Timberlake
    Backstreet Boys
    Kenny Chesney
    Lady Antebellum
    Sugarland
    Rascal Flatts
    Faith Hill
    Tim McGraw
    Rihanna
    etc.
    Bruno Mars has a lot of hits!!!! TS is not right for the SB. Lady Gaga maybe to risky as she is somewhat unpredictable and dresses way to crazy. Same goes for Rihanna (She would be great for the SB but she is way too provocative). Justin Timberlake is the reason they started taking such precaution...lol
    Sugarland, really? They are not that popular outside country, Lady A have lost their edge and aside from NYN, they don't have decent hits for the SB.
    Faith Hill, BSB are current????

Rascal Flatts and Tim McGaw are old news. I think maybe Tim.

I am shocked that Kenny was not asked it. Not a fan of him but obviously he is very popular.

as a fan, I would love for Carrie to perform at the SB. I want her 5th album to be country rock so she have one more high energy songs. But the reason Carrie stand out is that she can cover some kick a$$ rock songs and she has strong ties with rock legends...

pink would be awesome.
    how come you didn't put Katy Perry?

Concert Stars
    Can Bruce Springsteen just do it every year please? I think everyone would enjoy that, and by everyone, I mean me, and I'm the most important person I know, so.

Insane Carrie Fan Carrieroxmysox2011's Avatar
    I wanted Metallica or AC/DC.
    allamericangirl8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zman312 View Post
    Bruno Mars has a lot of hits!!!! TS is not right for the SB. Lady Gaga maybe to risky as she is somewhat unpredictable and dresses way to crazy. Same goes for Rihanna (She would be great for the SB but she is way too provocative). Justin Timberlake is the reason they started taking such precaution...lol
    Sugarland, really? They are not that popular outside country, Lady A have lost their edge and aside from NYN, they don't have decent hits for the SB.
    Faith Hill, BSB are current????

Rascal Flatts and Tim McGaw are old news. I think maybe Tim.

I am shocked that Kenny was not asked it. Not a fan of him but obviously he is very popular.

as a fan, I would love for Carrie to perform at the SB. I want her 5th album to be country rock so she have one more high energy songs. But the reason Carrie stand out is that she can cover some kick a$$ rock songs and she has strong ties with rock legends...

pink would be awesome.
    how come you didn't put Katy Perry?
    Superbowl is not about having current hits, but hits throughout the years. Even Beyonce last year felt lacking without a catalogue of classics.

The biggest bunch of Bruno Mars's fan base is young boys and girls, and no he hasn't had a lot of hits. 'Nothin' On You' (a forgotten feature), 'Billionaire' (a forgotten feature), 'Just The Way You Are' (an uneventful forgotten song), 'Grenade' (mostly an anthem among youngsters, but should be identifiable among the general public), 'The Lazy Song' (forgotten), 'It Will Rain' (mostly popular with the teenage crowd), 'Locked Out of Heaven' (might be identifiable among the GP but not really that big), 'When I Was Your Man' (barely made number one with chart tactics), 'Treasure' (nobody knows it). Mars only really has two big hits, and one massive one. He hasn't been around for long and his audience is limited. He cannot even get a number one album without a massive discount in a slow week.

People who are old news have the advantage of connecting to the wide demography if they perform only their old hits. People who are popular within country music have the advantage of being popular with the SB crowd. No, nobody blamed Justin Timberlake for what happened to Janet Jackson, and Timberlake was on SB twice. Lady GaGa is unpredictable but at least people know her. Rihanna is not really that provocative. Britney Spears, and perhaps Christina Aguilera are possible choices as well. Though going with a pop diva is always risky with the crowd.

Katy Perry not mentioned because she's a little too new. Even Kelly Clarkson and Alicia Keys are considerable. Or Reba McEntire or Dolly Parton. Usher. ADELE. Paul McCartney.

You need to have someone who hits a lot of demographies, or if not, be familiar with the SB crowd. It needs to be someone everybody knows and has classics. Mars is not someone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    Can Bruce Springsteen just do it every year please? I think everyone would enjoy that, and by everyone, I mean me, and I'm the most important person I know, so.

Everybody wants the D I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieroxmysox2011 View Post
    I wanted Metallica or AC/DC.
    Yeah, or any other rock bands really.

Concert Stars
    Superbowl is not about having current hits, but hits throughout the years. Even Beyonce last year felt lacking without a catalogue of classics.

The biggest bunch of Bruno Mars's fan base is young boys and girls, and no he hasn't had a lot of hits. 'Nothin' On You' (a forgotten feature), 'Billionaire' (a forgotten feature), 'Just The Way You Are' (an uneventful forgotten song), 'Grenade' (mostly an anthem among youngsters, but should be identifiable among the general public), 'The Lazy Song' (forgotten), 'It Will Rain' (mostly popular with the teenage crowd), 'Locked Out of Heaven' (might be identifiable among the GP but not really that big), 'When I Was Your Man' (barely made number one with chart tactics), 'Treasure' (nobody knows it). Mars only really has two big hits, and one massive one. He hasn't been around for long and his audience is limited. He cannot even get a number one album without a massive discount in a slow week.

People who are old news have the advantage of connecting to the wide demography if they perform only their old hits. People who are popular within country music have the advantage of being popular with the SB crowd. No, nobody blamed Justin Timberlake for what happened to Janet Jackson, and Timberlake was on SB twice. Lady GaGa is unpredictable but at least people know her. Rihanna is not really that provocative. Britney Spears, and perhaps Christina Aguilera are possible choices as well. Though going with a pop diva is always risky with the crowd.

Katy Perry not mentioned because she's a little too new. Even Kelly Clarkson and Alicia Keys are considerable. Or Reba McEntire or Dolly Parton. Usher. ADELE. Paul McCartney.

You need to have someone who hits a lot of demographies, or if not, be familiar with the SB crowd. It needs to be someone everybody knows and has classics. Mars is not someone like that.
    Kelly Clarkson's ready. Alicia mostly is too, but based on her live national anthem... JT would do great. He's on fire right now, but he also did just have a Super Bowl Half-Time-esque performance at the VMAs with N'Sync. I agree that I would give Katy Perry a few more years too (though I don't know why you would say Katy Perry's too new and then go on and list Adele as a good fit when they both started about the same time and the former has had more hits in that time frame). Katy literally just came off of the Teenage Dream era so all the hits that came off that album haven't really sunken in yet. The only problem is that Katy isn't a good live singer, in fact she's quite bad.

I would probably give it one or two more albums before Carrie's ready. If Carrie were to perform this year, she could ideally sing Before He Cheats, Undo It (or a rock cover), All-American Girl, and the Jesus, Take the Wheel/How Great Thou Art combo - though this last one would most likely not make the setlist for obvious reasons. Maybe even I Know You Won't or Blown Away (she should do at least one song to show off her vocals). The problem with Carrie is that she hasn't had too many signature upbeat songs aside from BHC and kind of AAG. Even I get Cowboy Casanova, Undo It, and Last Name confused sometimes at concerts where she'll sing one of her boy-bashing songs and later on I'll be like "Did she sing Undo It already? Or was that Last Name?" Though I honestly do think Carrie will be asked to perform the half-time show at some point. She's done the National Anthem for the Super Bowl already and now she's doing the theme song. It's only a matter of time. I'd say it's more likely than her getting an EOTY nom, which is ironic since her getting that honor should warrant a nomination in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nanook View Post
    Kelly Clarkson's ready. Alicia mostly is too, but based on her live national anthem... JT would do great. He's on fire right now, but he also did just have a Super Bowl Half-Time-esque performance at the VMAs with N'Sync. I agree that I would give Katy Perry a few more years too (though I don't know why you would say Katy Perry's too new and then go on and list Adele as a good fit when they both started about the same time and the former has had more hits in that time frame). Katy literally just came off of the Teenage Dream era so all the hits that came off that album haven't really sunken in yet. The only problem is that Katy isn't a good live singer, in fact she's quite bad.

I would probably give it one or two more albums before Carrie's ready. If Carrie were to perform this year, she could ideally sing Before He Cheats, Undo It (or a rock cover), All-American Girl, and the Jesus, Take the Wheel/How Great Thou Art combo - though this last one would most likely not make the setlist for obvious reasons. Maybe even I Know You Won't or Blown Away (she should do at least one song to show off her vocals). The problem with Carrie is that she hasn't had too many signature upbeat songs aside from BHC and kind of AAG. Even I get Cowboy Casanova, Undo It, and Last Name confused sometimes at concerts where she'll sing one of her boy-bashing songs and later on I'll be like "Did she sing Undo It already? Or was that Last Name?" Though I honestly do think Carrie will be asked to perform the half-time show at some point. She's done the National Anthem for the Super Bowl already and now she's doing the theme song. It's only a matter of time. I'd say it's more likely than her getting an EOTY nom, which is ironic since her getting that honor should warrant a nomination in that category.
    So basically Carrie is not a very ideal choice either. And on a side note, she's won Entertainer of the Year twice, the first to do so for a female, consecutively. Before The Lord had done the same anyway.

ADELE *might* be better than Katy Perry not just because of her voice, but because she hits even more demographies, and she has the British novelty surrounding her. Katy Perry won't be an awful choice, and she will definitely be better than Bruno Mars considering the amount and magnitude of her hits. She at least has 'I Kissed A Girl', 'Hot N Cold', 'Teenage Dream', 'Firework', 'E.T.', 'Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)', 'Wide Awake', and perhaps even 'The One That Got Away' and 'Part of Me' which are identifiable to the general public, versus Mars's one or two. But both Perry and Mars are sort of lacking in album sales which is usually the proof of having mature fans or hitting multiple demographies. The same can be said to Rihanna, but RiRi has been around longer and endured so I think she qualifies.

Justin Timberlake, I think, is in an even better position than Beyonce, especially last year. Bey's was not at all satisfying especially when she dedicates a lot of time to her flops or lesser-known hits such as 'Love On Top', 'End of Time' (at least Madonna had guest stars and the middle finger during her dud 'Give Me All Your Luvin''!), and 'Baby Boy'. 'Halo' also didn't hit quite hard. Timberlake doesn't have an extensive catalogue either, but he could explore more into *Nsync as Bey should've, and he seems to have more respect now, especially when he's smashing while Bey's been flopping for years.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by chevrolet View Post
    SB has taken a lot of flak for staging too many big name dinosaur haz-beens. Maybe they want a younger guy. Bruno will bring a party atmosphere.
    He is a GREAT entertainer and will put on one hell of a show, I was just shocked that he got that high profile of a gig.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cps235 View Post
    They couldn't get Carrie Underwood for the Super Bowl!? Lol.
    It's very unlikely that any country artist will ever do the Super Bowl halftime show because that demo of fans is already watching the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JB172 View Post
    It's very unlikely that any country artist will ever do the Super Bowl halftime show because that demo of fans is already watching the game.
    *cough* Shania Twain *cough* Clint Black *cough* Tanya Tucker *cough* Travis Tritt *cough* The Judds *cough* Nelly (count Aerosmith if you wish) *cough* Kid Rock *cough*
    carebear4eva likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    *cough* Shania Twain *cough* Clint Black *cough* Tanya Tucker *cough* Travis Tritt *cough* The Judds *cough* Nelly (count Aerosmith if you wish) *cough* Kid Rock *cough*
    And you know what it is 2013 and it is ALL ABOUT BRINGING in people that are going to attract viewers who are not interested in watching the game so you can keep coughing all the freaking times that you want to cough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Concert Stars
    While I like Bruno alot and will enjoy his performance- I am disappointed that country singers never get to do the Superbowl. It is total crap given how popular country music is.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by teesharky View Post
    While I like Bruno alot and will enjoy his performance- I am disappointed that country singers never get to do the Superbowl. It is total crap given how popular country music is.
    Seeing that no true country artist has been the main performer at the Super Bowl since 2003 despite what some people on here think it IS because the demo is already watching the game and doesn't have a damn thing to do with how popular country music is. List of Super Bowl halftime shows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    somebody likes exclamation points....

Bruno ,to me, seems like such a...I don't know... small act for such a big gig as the Super Bowl.
    I can't see how very many will be all 'OMG I can't wait to see Bruno'
    Carrieflattsfan and rainbow1 like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast