Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By supercarriefan
  • 1 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By judes

Thread: Old Crow Medicine Show invited to become Grand Ole Opry members

Old Crow Medicine Show invited to become Grand Ole Opry members

Tonight, Marty Stuart invited Old Crow Medicine Show ("Wagon Wheel") to become the next Grand Ole Opry Member(s). Now THIS is an invitation I can fully support. Awesome.

1173708_10151821006308234_1292711481_n.jpg

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I'm happy for them, but you have to wonder if the Opry finally decided to do this due to the success of Darius' cover of Wagon Wheel. The timing is interesting. I wonder if Darius will play the night of their induction.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by supercarriefan View Post
    I'm happy for them, but you have to wonder if the Opry finally decided to do this due to the success of Darius' cover of Wagon Wheel. The timing is interesting. I wonder if Darius will play the night of their induction.
    I never thought it of that, but it's an interesting connection.

Congrats to them.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Although their "elevation" to full membership is new, they've actually been associated with the Opry for a long time. Thanks to Marty Stuart, they started playing special events for the Opry in 2000, and made their formal debut on the main stage in 2001 (It was that Opry appearance that led to their recording contract)
    Darius Rucker has appeared at the Ryman with them, singing WW together, so I think it's quite possible he'll do so again at the Opry House (Darius is also a member, since last year)

As this fan base is predominantly Mainstream, some here might not know their work - which is certainly worth exploring. They began (and still describe themselves) as an Old Time String Band - a musical tradition which has roots that were drawn on by the later developments of Rock 'n' Roll and Bluegrass.

This is an example of that side of their work (played at Renfro Valley, one of Old Time Country Music's hallowed venues). For anyone not used to the style, I should point out that Old Time is very different from the Classic Nashville Sound of commercial Neo-traditionalists - the Nashville record labels deliberately drove styles like this back to the hills in the 1950s, in their successful search for a more sophisticated audience that could support a major industry.

rainbow1 likes this.

But I'd also like to point out that OCMS also have other, more modern, sides to their work, and do take String Band music in more Progressive directions. You could try for example "I Hear Them All" (which had Mainstream video play), or this interesting commemoration of Dr King's assassination:

rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    This is great news - I'm surprised they weren't asked to join sooner since their association with the Opry dates back - glad Darius recorded their song, maybe it will give them some good deserved recognition
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ketch Secor gives an interview in this article:

http://http://www.esquire.com/blogs/...medy-americana

As well as discussing the genesis of "Wagon Wheel", the article raises some interesting questions - including the relationship between "Country" and "Americana" (The latter term, although useful in giving the Roots sector a radio format, an award show - and recently a small, but crowded, Grammy presence - has always been somewhat controversial. I tend to avoid the term, and it's interesting that Ketch appears to largely reject it too, preferring (if I read him right) to widen the crack that the Opry gives Roots artists into Mainstream Nashville.)

I like this quote:
    "We're interested in the health and wellness of country music as a whole, not the national part of it."

He also suggests that the reason "why country music is pretty godawful right now" has a lot to do with re-writing the same themes so many times that "they've run out of interesting ways to say that they've got a tiger by the tail"

They are one of my favorite country male groups. A talented bunch. Congrats for them. Its much deserved.

•