• 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 4 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By gocountrymusic
  • 1 Post By twaintrain
  • 1 Post By carebear4eva

Thread: Brandy Clark - "12 Stories" era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Brandy Clark - "12 Stories" era

This album, due for release later in the year, should interest fans who've followed the debates on the board around the topic of hoping to hear more female singers on radio, and criticism of the prevailing "good time party" songs favoured by many current male singers (and their audiences). By the same token, of course, it's unlikely to please those who enjoy the Mainstream charts as they are now - music is very much a matter of personal taste, and I'm a believer in the theory that this genre should be broad enough to have something for everyone. (I wouldn't last long here if the Carrie fan base wasn't prepared to tolerate pretty diverse musical tastes!)

Brandy Clark is one of the key players in the current wave of "edgier" female Country Music, putting a contemporary twist on Roots influences, in songs often phrased from the viewpoint of assertive women characters, or critics of conformity. Two of her songs "Mama's Broken Heart", and "Better Dig Two" have been major recent hits, and a third, "Follow Your Arrow" has been something of a hoped-for anthem for fans of the emerging sub-genre.
    (And if you listen to "Pray To Jesus" on the linked page, it strikes me as a possible stylistic inspiration for like-minded current songs, such as Kacey Musgraves "Merry-Go-Round" and the Pistol Annies' "Hush Hush")

You can read more about Brandy on this page:
    Brandy Clark Pray To Jesus | The Song Survives

Brandy's upcoming album has an advance single, with a video from the same director as the Pistol Annies. It's called "Stripes" and combines the "wronged woman" angle with the wry humour that a "crime of fashion" might just save the two-timing lover from a "crime of passion".

^Thanks for posting this thread. LOVE Brandy Clark and this song.

Carrie Guru
    That's a great song. lol.

I didn't realize that she had written those 3 recent hits. Somehow I thought Miranda, Kimberly and Kacey had penned their own material. I'll definitely check out her new album when it comes out.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Miranda and Kimberly do write many of their songs, but weren't involved with those ones. (Kacey co-wrote "Mama's Broken Heart", and "Follow Your Arrow").
    Co-writing is one of the key hallmarks of Nashville music, and I think it works well. Brandy's most frequent writing partner has been Shane McAnally (who was also involved, with Luke Laird, on the production side of Kacey's album "Same Trailer, Different Park")

One interesting point is that these connections are amounting to a current in today's Mainstream Country, which is offering something of an alternative stylistic and thematic thread to the dominant party songs.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Carrie worked with some of the same people on her next album (she has, of course, already worked with Luke Laird on a number of occasions)
    opry051008 and rainbow1 like this.

There seems to be so much GREAT music being made just beneath the surface of the mainstream. I sure wish it could be heard by the masses.

Concert Stars
    Single Review: Brandy Clark, “Stripes”

by Ben Foster
    July 10, 2013
    Brandy Clark has many times shown that she’s one heck of a songwriter. Recently, her writing talents have been heard on respectable cuts such as Miranda Lambert’s “Mama’s Broken Heart” and The Band Perry’s “Better Dig Two,” while her name appears all over the co-writer credits on Kacey Musgraves’ excellent Mercury Records debut Same Trailer Different Park. Now we get to hear the woman get behind the mic herself with her recently released Brandy Clark EP and her debut single and video “Stripes” – a brash up-tempo number that wouldn’t sound out-of-place on a Miranda Lambert album.
    The song begins with a bang, opening line “You were lying in there with nothin’ on but a goofy little grin and a platinum blonde” reeling the listener in quickly. Next thing we know, the narrator is cocking a pistol, and we’re beginning to wonder if we’re in for a murder ballad.
    But she stops short of doing the deed – not in a display of mercy or conscience, but because our fashion-conscious narrator bristles at the thought of having to don a prison uniform, with Clark singing “I hate stripes and orange ain’t my color, and if I squeeze that trigger tonight I’ll be wearin’ one or the other.” It’s a clever and original, not to mention humorous, twist on a tried-and-true country music theme as Clark entertainingly captures the moment of catching one’s partner in the act.
    Fortunately, “Stripes” doesn’t go so far as to fall into novelty territory, thanks in part to Clark’s fierce, simmering vocal rendering. The fresh, engaging David Brainard-helmed production is a delight, with a jaunty drumbeat and honky-tonk piano lending added grit and punch to the song’s tale.
    As the first radio bid from an exceptionally talented singer-songwriter, “Stripes” does not disappoint. It’s an ambitious, energetic debut single that makes the prospect of a full-length Brandy Clark album (to be released later this year) even more enticing.
    Grade: A

Punchy song.....I really do love it!

Concert Stars
    Single Review: Brandy Clark, “Stripes”

by Ben Foster
    July 10, 2013
    Brandy Clark has many times shown that she’s one heck of a songwriter. Recently, her writing talents have been heard on respectable cuts such as Miranda Lambert’s “Mama’s Broken Heart” and The Band Perry’s “Better Dig Two,” while her name appears all over the co-writer credits on Kacey Musgraves’ excellent Mercury Records debut Same Trailer Different Park. Now we get to hear the woman get behind the mic herself with her recently released Brandy Clark EP and her debut single and video “Stripes” – a brash up-tempo number that wouldn’t sound out-of-place on a Miranda Lambert album.
    The song begins with a bang, opening line “You were lying in there with nothin’ on but a goofy little grin and a platinum blonde” reeling the listener in quickly. Next thing we know, the narrator is cocking a pistol, and we’re beginning to wonder if we’re in for a murder ballad.
    But she stops short of doing the deed – not in a display of mercy or conscience, but because our fashion-conscious narrator bristles at the thought of having to don a prison uniform, with Clark singing “I hate stripes and orange ain’t my color, and if I squeeze that trigger tonight I’ll be wearin’ one or the other.” It’s a clever and original, not to mention humorous, twist on a tried-and-true country music theme as Clark entertainingly captures the moment of catching one’s partner in the act.
    Fortunately, “Stripes” doesn’t go so far as to fall into novelty territory, thanks in part to Clark’s fierce, simmering vocal rendering. The fresh, engaging David Brainard-helmed production is a delight, with a jaunty drumbeat and honky-tonk piano lending added grit and punch to the song’s tale.
    As the first radio bid from an exceptionally talented singer-songwriter, “Stripes” does not disappoint. It’s an ambitious, energetic debut single that makes the prospect of a full-length Brandy Clark album (to be released later this year) even more enticing.
    Grade: A

Punchy song.....I really do love it!

Carrie Guru
    rainbow1 and Farawayhills like this.

"Rolling Stone" have reviewed Brandy's album here:

Brandy Clark Aims High With '12 Stories' | Music News | Rolling Stone

Brandy makes the point that, although there are far fewer women on Mainstream radio, they can (and do) push darker and more controversial themes than the format would allow male performers to sing.
    Although she's not expecting her own record to be embraced by terrestrial radio, she also says that she never expected to hear "Follow Your Arrow" as a single - so you never know!

The Tennessean have a detailed article on Brandy here:

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2013/11/03/peter-cooper-on-music-countrys-misfit/

Well worth a read - and I particularly love this quote from Marty Stuart (Connie Smith's husband, an Opry member since the 80s, widely respected for his blending of Rock, Bluegrass and Gospel into a modern Roots Country style)
    “Just in case country radio wants to start playing somebody brand-new and brilliant and one of the most profound songwriters that’s come out of this town in years and years, you might want to take a look at Brandy Clark. I’d stand on Hank Williams’ coffee table and preach that."
    quincyeyes and rainbow1 like this.

Perez Hilton (whose column is usually known for its celebrity focus) has given some nice publicity to Brandy - complete with a playable link to one of her songs, and a further link to her You Tube channel.

(Yes, the song is about smoking weed - but if you listen, it's also a wry "life commentary" song, which develops several insights into the character's mixed reactions to a married life that has become relatively routine. )

Listen To This: Blowing Smoke! | PerezHilton.com
    Last edited by Farawayhills; 12-07-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    gaycarebear likes this.

To follow a successful year, in which Brandy got both a CMA nomination and a Grammy nomination (for "Mama's Broken Heart"), and cuts on Sheryl Crow's album ("Homecoming Queen") and Keith Urban's album ("Come Back to Me,"), appeared on Lettermam and at the Opry, had her musical "Hee Haw" performed on Broadway, and saw her own album "12 Stories" featured in most of the well known listings of Best Country Album for 2013 - Brandy has announced this news -- she has been asked to join Jennifer Nettles' tour as a support act.
    As what I've heard of Jennifer's new work sounds exciting and innovative, this is an excellent opportunity, and I hope it opens up new audiences for Brandy

(I also can't resist mentioning that the question I submitted for Brandy's question and answer session with CMT was chosen. Brandy was only able to give it a diplomatic half-answer, - but it still gained me my moment of fame on Twitter, with more reposts than I've ever had! lol

My question was: "The AMA airplay chart has around 40% female artists; Mainstream Country radio a much smaller %. Why? "

Brandy's answer was: "I wish I knew the answer to this one, but I don't. What I do know is that women are making some of my favorite music!!!!"

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by opry051008 View Post
    She is an interesting performer. She just stands there and sings, but it doesn't come off as stiff or awkward at all. There is something special about her. I also love stripes. Very clever writing and love the lack of production in the song. Sometimes less is more.
    flor_mascaro and rainbow1 like this.

Huge Carrie Follower quincyeyes's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Congratulations to Brandy Clark for her Grammy nomination for Best New Artist and her nomination for 12 stories for Best Country Album. This shows very good taste by the Grammys. 12 Stories is an amazing album that I didn't discover until like 8 months ago but still listen to it almost daily. If you don't have this album or know Brandy's music, I highly recommend it. This album is a gem and I am so excited for a second album. My favorites on the album (although I love all of the songs) are Stripes, Hungover, Pray To Jesus, Take a Little Pill and What'll Keep Me Out of Heaven. There is not a bad song on the album. Rather there are 12 excellent songs on 12 Stories.

Concert Stars
    Thank goodness the Grammys nominated her for Best New Artist and gave her a slot on the show. After I saw her beautiful performance I ordered her CD. Just got it in and WOW! She was robbed of Country Album. She is everything Miranda Lambert and Kacey Muscgraves wish they could be. Great artist and vocalist!
    rainbow1 likes this.

OMG, if I just had the good sense to worship Faraway, I'd have had Brandy in my life a year and a half earlier! I listened to 12 Stories earlier this year, as a logical successor to my obsession with Ashley Monroe's Like A Rose (which I pretty much started listening to at the start of the year). Both great albums!
    quincyeyes likes this.

•