• 1 Post By HuiZ
  • 4 Post By Claire2004
  • 1 Post By Carrieflattsfan
  • 2 Post By supercarriefan

Thread: Tom Petty Blasts Modern Country Music - Taste of Country Article

Concert Stars

Tom Petty Blasts Modern Country Music - Taste of Country Article

Tom Petty Blasts Modern Country Music

On May 26, Tom Petty took a swipe at modern country music from the stage of the Beacon Theater in New York City. He called today’s country “bad rock with a fiddle,” and further expanded on those comments during a recent interview.
    It was far from a clarification or apology. During a chat with Rolling Stone published Monday (Aug. 5), Petty laments what is missing in country music, a genre he says roots the Heartbreakers.
    “I don’t really see a George Jones or a Buck Owens or any anything that fresh coming up,” Petty explains. “I’m sure there must be somebody doing it, but most of that music reminds me of rock in the middle 80s where it became incredibly generic and relied on videos.”
    Petty didn’t name names or call out a specific sound before backing away from the topic. “I hate to generalize on a whole genre of music, but it does seem to be missing that magic element that it used to have,” he furthers. “I’m sure there are people playing country that are doing it well, but they’re just not getting the attention that the s—tier stuff gets.”
    Petty is expecting to release his 13th album with the Heartbreakers early next year. The new project doesn’t yet have a title.
    maddkat and rainbow1 like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    I really wouldn't call that a blast when there are a lot of other people who have the same opinion as he does.

Concert Stars
    Many of us here have the same opinion. It has gotten so I don't know who the male singer is because they all sound alike (I can tell Brad, Keith, Kenny, Alan and Tim apart from these new guys). When I do the radio surveys I have a hard time telling these new singers apart (men & women). I just find it sad that when I listen to the radio it all sounds so generic.

hjj
    Insane Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    I think he should put out a country album if he is such an expert how it should be done.
    nccountrygal and liveasong like this.

I sort of agree with Tom but a lot of his music is bad rock without a fiddle, IMO.
    maddkat and judes like this.

Concert Stars
    How old is Tom Petty? 60 something? The older folks always have a hard time with change, me being one. Years ago some country music fans lamented country was becoming too POP, there will always be some percentage that doesn't like a popular trend. I have always been a country music fan and have seen it go through changes and with the new change in the Hot Country Songs chart allowing POP radio as a determiner of Hot Country Songs there will be more.I believe there are obvious reasons - new recording technology that allows producers to go crazy in technics, hard to restrain them where years ago you had the live sound, the artists today being influenced by growing up listening to all kinds of music because of the internet , and record producers who are looking for that sound that will make them money - perhaps a 100 years from now country will be music that is played on earth where POP will be music from space. That being said, you can always find music you like, I certainly don't mope around claiming "What's happened to music I have nothing to listen to" there are many ways to find artists, festivals,concerts,radio,youtube,- we have more ways than ever to discover new music for ourselves - the "what's happened to" syndrome happens when people skim the surface and don't dig for the heart. Radio could be more obliging to up and comer artists and women but they are a business like the record companies, like the concert producers,like any venue and in today's economy it's tougher to make money so popular reigns be it good or bad. The really well known popular artists are only a few, there are hundreds of artists making a living at a lesser level.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    It's a longstanding story. His choice of words "bad Rock with a fiddle" (often repeated with similar variations) goes back to a song by the Geezinslaw Brothers ("You Call It Country, I Call It Bad Rock 'n' Roll"), part of which was a satire aimed at Garth Brooks.
    Two of the Heartbreakers (Benmont Tench and Mike Campbell) collaborated with the Dixie Chicks on their 2006 album "Taking the Long Way" - and made similar remarks to Petty's then. The irony is that that album pushed Martie and Emily's instrumentation into more marginal "speciality" roles - so, arguably, achieving the opposite musical effect to the one the Hearbreakers were advocating (It also proved to be the last album the trio appear to have been able to agree on making)

Personally, I'd rather have bad Rock with a fiddle than bad Rock without a fiddle - but I think we can have good Rock either way (smiley)
    If Country Music ever cut its links with Rock, we'd probably end up with no Red Dirt, no Texas Blues, less than half the Progressive work in the Alternative sector - and no "Good Girl". I'm OK with less of the "bad", but let's not throw out the good, or we'll end up the poorer

I didn't hear fiddle in the country classic 'We Are Never Ever Going Back Together'.
    judes likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    While I don't disagree with Petty's argument that the bigger country artists are making watered down music that becomes more stale with each release.

As Liz said, a lot of people have the same gripes about the dismal state of country music right now, and the general lack of great music.

However, I'm not a fan of the attitude that the older artists who paved the way are the only good ones; newer and older artists deserve the same respect.

And, maybe it's just me, but it seems like people are quick to jump on the bandwagon of "modern country music sucks" while others from pop and rock (who arguably are watering down music as much as the country artists), get off with no criticize aimed at them. While I think the general criticism is justified, it seems like country music has become the target genre for it lately, which doesn't seem completely fair.

The whole industry is a mess right now, from all corners. I'm not saying artists don't have a right to criticize it, but why not focus on making your own, good, quality music? Do your part in the industry to make it better, if you think it needs to be improved upon. Stop talking and start doing.

Plus, there have been countless examples of current artists criticizing the new generation, so this isn't anything new. The problem is these comments keep coming up over and over, and the music sinks lower and lower.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    I didn't hear fiddle in the country classic 'We Are Never Ever Going Back Together'.
    I didn't hear any Rock in it either.

(But if you play the video you will see Caitlin holding a white fiddle. And you will see a guy pretending to play an auto-harp. They seem to be dressed as animals - perhaps to suggest the raw, backwoods ethos suggested by the organic feel of the classic musical arrangement.....where are those smileys again?)

Concert Stars
    One thing people forget when they have" the glorious past that is gone forever and now we have crap syndrome" is that great artists are and were few and far between - there weren't 100's of great artist and musician superstars, there were only a select few who rose to prominence at any given time - the nayers take all the legends and lump them together as if it happened in ten years not 60 plus years and expect ALL the artists today to be legend material - it's not going to happen and the ones who judge country, do they really know what country bands and artists are out there or are they just sitting around someones living room yessing their friends opinion instead of out at a concert of someone they think has potential - people don't rise to prominence without fans - I wonder if they go the extra mile for an artist like we support Carrie, vote, buy albums, go to her concerts - the fans have to be active not moping around because their artist doesn't get played on radio - go to their concert and listen to them live and take your friends - they all tour. It's difficult to judge something not worthy when there's someone around who deems it worthy. Find the next George Jones, Tom Petty and take him on tour and quit your bellyaching!

A good rant for my 4000th post!
    Gator, rainbow1 and Farawayhills like this.

Concert Stars
    There was an article in the Washinton Post about Country Music and FGL. Windmills tweeted the link so I will have to find it and when I do I will post the link. And guess who the number one person they talked to about country music?

Country goes dance: Why music?s most traditional genre is adding some thump - The Washington Post

Country goes dance: Why music’s most traditional genre is adding some thump

What happens when you mix a Luke Bryan song with one from Eminem? Or take a Carrie Underwood ballad and infuse it with a touch of electronic dance music? It sounds like a riddle invented to enrage traditional country music fans, but there’s actually a very simple answer: People dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    I didn't hear any Rock in it either.

(But if you play the video you will see Caitlin holding a white fiddle. And you will see a guy pretending to play an auto-harp. They seem to be dressed as animals - perhaps to suggest the raw, backwoods ethos suggested by the organic feel of the classic musical arrangement.....where are those smileys again?)
    There isn't. It's purely heavenly gospel. A gift from The Lord. It is its own genre, while still being classical country.

Junior Carrie Follower
    Why not have Tom Petty & Carrie have an open discussion about this topic and then encourage them to do an EP together-5 or 6 songs,perhaps. Together,they could generate an understanding of what true Country Music really is about. Personally,I would have liked to have Carrie do an EP with one of my favorites,Glen Campbell,but his Alzheimer's won't allow that to happen. When you go to buy the Blown Away concert DVD next week, take a little extra money with you and buy a copy of Glen's 62nd album(that's right-62 career albums!) See You There. Thanks!
    judes likes this.

rainbow1 likes this.

I think artists are well advised to keep out of retaliatory internet wars - Twitter remarks, in particular - because they're so spontaneous, so abbreviated, ans so likely to be quoted to haunt you.

Tom Petty didn't name Florida Georgia Line, or anyone else - so responding at all only puts them needlessly into the frame, and makes it look as if they feel they belong there.
    In fact, they seem to be responding to another Twitter poster who said "Hey...this applies to you. Pay attention." - which looks like random Twitter trolling (making it even more questionable for them to jump in and reply to it)

Not a smart response at all, regardless of what they think.
    abbeyjones18 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HuiZ View Post
    Not a smart response at all, regardless of what they think.

Agree. The tweet they responded to seemed designed to stir the pot, and the FGL boys stupidly obliged lol. They need a lesson on PR.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I'm not a fan of FGL at all, but in all fairness, their tweet was not directed at Tom Petty, but to someone who obviously thinks they are giving country music a bad name.

As immature as this tweet is, they can say whatever they choose. Right now, it probably won't hurt them, but if they continue to display that level of arrogance and immaturity, it probably won't do them any favors down the line.

I honesty can't even take FGL seriously because their music thus far has been nothing more than party anthems and one gigantic (but disposable), hit. They're still pretty new, and they should be careful not to burn any bridges; they're making themselves the butt of the joke.

I hate it when artists respond to people who don't like them, especially if the artists themselves haven't proven their worth yet. Just because you have one gigantic hit doesn't mean you won't be gone tomorrow. IMO, these guys need to take their egos down a peg and make some good music before they trash people calling them out for their subpar music and one hit song. Ugh.

Team Petty, all the way.
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Tom Petty didn't say anything that many other people aren't already thinking, so people can't really fault the man for having a platform to speak that opinion. As for FGL, they need to just go away already. I can't stand them, and this latest tweet to Tom simply confirms why. They need to realize that Tom has done many great things in his long career and they are just a couple of guys who happen to get lucky with one big song. Perhaps FGL had best get another decade or more of success under their belts before commenting too much to Tom.
    Claire2004 and JB172 like this.

•