• 1 Post By epicamends
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills
  • 1 Post By epicamends
  • 1 Post By epicamends
  • 1 Post By Carrieflattsfan

Thread: The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars Era

Concert Stars

The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars Era

The Civil Wars' self-titled sophomore album comes out on August 6.

The Civil Wars.jpg

It is currently streaming for free on iTunes.

http://smarturl.it/tcwstream

I have to say that I've just finished the album and I'm completely in love with it. My favorites right now are "Same Old Same Old," (I nearly cried) "Dust to Dust," and "Sacred Heart" plus of course the long-awaited studio version of "Disarm." I'm in love.
    gaycarebear and Farawayhills like this.

Concert Stars
    I thought they broke up - was that just a publicity stunt?

Quote Originally Posted by judes View Post
    I thought they broke up - was that just a publicity stunt?
    They're still broken up. They aren't on speaking terms.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Joy worked hard to keep fan interest alive, and she is the only one who has spoken, so far, about the group's difficulties. Few details were given, other than that some of the speculation has been hurtful, and that (as Jason said) they are still not communicating. However, both wanted the album released - and it would not have been if that wasn't the case.

Thanks for the link, AIgrl06. (Luckily for anyone, like me, who can't use i-Tunes, it's actually a SoundCloud link, and should be available to anyone). The Guardian article accompanying it is quite interesting - Joy explains how pregnancy affected her vocal range.

This looks like a great album - I really hope it's not the end for TCW

Concert Stars
    Along with you guys I'm really hoping they can work through their difficulties because they really are a special duo and have come out with some brilliant music!

Insane Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by gaycarebear View Post
    They're still broken up. They aren't on speaking terms.
    From all the videos I've seen of them, they seem to have been super close. I can't imagine what happened that'd have them not even speak to each other. Have you seen the Grammy videos? Awkward.

So sad. : (

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Joy worked hard to keep fan interest alive, and she is the only one who has spoken, so far, about the group's difficulties. Few details were given, other than that some of the speculation has been hurtful, and that (as Jason said) they are still not communicating. However, both wanted the album released - and it would not have been if that wasn't the case.

Thanks for the link, AIgrl06. (Luckily for anyone, like me, who can't use i-Tunes, it's actually a SoundCloud link, and should be available to anyone). The Guardian article accompanying it is quite interesting - Joy explains how pregnancy affected her vocal range.

This looks like a great album - I really hope it's not the end for TCW
    I streamed the album earlier. It's brilliant...and you can hear all the pain and angst that's in their relationship. My guess is that this'll be the last album we get from them.

I cannot wait to listen to this. I've been so busy lately with work that I haven't had much free time, but I will definitely be giving this a listen either tonight or tomorrow night. I've been avoiding most of the songs being posted lately, other than the initial "The One That Got Away" single, as I prefer listening to an album in full for the first time rather than in snippets.

I too hope these two are able to work things out - they are so, so talented. Individually, yes, but there is something completely magical that happens when they make music together. Plus, I really don't want to never have the opportunity to see them live, where they're even better than in the studio.

After listening to the album nearly a dozen times now, I think I can safely say this is quickly going to be one of my favourite albums of all time. I love how diversified the production is on the album - there's some mellow, folksy stuff, some more alternative rock stuff, a bit of pop. And those voices. My goodness. They are both such talented vocalists, and their harmonies together are just incredible. Lyrically, the album is one of the best I've ever heard as well.

I will be completely shocked if they don't pick up a few Grammys for this record.
    AIgrl06 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    This is probably the fullest interview so far, in which Joy discusses the duo's difficulties, with insight into some of the songs, and a couple of videos:
    The Civil Wars' Joy Williams On The Duo's Fragile Bond : NPR
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    After listening to the album nearly a dozen times now, I think I can safely say this is quickly going to be one of my favourite albums of all time. I love how diversified the production is on the album - there's some mellow, folksy stuff, some more alternative rock stuff, a bit of pop. And those voices. My goodness. They are both such talented vocalists, and their harmonies together are just incredible. Lyrically, the album is one of the best I've ever heard as well.

I will be completely shocked if they don't pick up a few Grammys for this record.
    Jess, that is quite the glowing review. Thanks for sharing! I may have to buy this album.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Wow, this album. Joy and Paul are such a stunning pairing; they sound like they were meant to sing together.

It took me awhile to pick out my favorites, because the whole album is so good.

"Same Old Same Old" is one of the most haunting songs I've heard in a long time; the vulnerability in their voices give me chills. I also adore "The One That Got Away," "I Had Me A Girl" and "Tell Mama," but the whole album is amazing.

Such a shame such a shame they are having so many personal problems, because i think they're one of the best duos I've ever heard. Amazing.

Thought I'd post about this here in case anyone not on twitter hasn't seen yet. TCW won the Grammy last night for Best Country Duo/Group Performance for "From This Valley". Joy was home with her sick son, so John Paul accepted the award alone. There was a bit of controversy because he didn't mention Joy at all in his thank you's. He took to twitter today for the first time since the hiatus was announced back in 2012 to apologize:

Farawayhills likes this.

PBS has, for a limited time, made The Civil Wars' Austin City Limits episode available to stream online. It's amazing (of course). Video: The Civil Wars / Punch Brothers | Watch Austin City Limits Online | PBS Video
    Farawayhills likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by epicamends View Post
    PBS has, for a limited time, made The Civil Wars' Austin City Limits episode available to stream online. It's amazing (of course). Video: The Civil Wars / Punch Brothers | Watch Austin City Limits Online | PBS Video
    I saw this recently; I'm crossing my fingers my laptop comes tomorrow so I can watch this and FINALLY give a proper listen to their first album
    epicamends likes this.

•