Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: JJ Cale RIP

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

JJ Cale RIP

The loss of a true music legend - JJ Cale passed away at 74, following a heart attack.

One of the architects of the "Tulsa Sound", an eclectic fusion of many influences, including Blues, Country and Jazz, with a personal style which he liked to describe as "laid back", he is regarded as one of the greatest instrumentalists of our time,

His influence has been very wide, not least on his friend Eric Clapton, who had a strong admiration for Tulsa musicians. Today, JJ Cale is remembered as one of the guiding lights of the Americana and Red Dirt movements.

As a small reminder of his abiding influence on younger artists, I'd like to play this video of Grace Potter, with a song that includes both a stylistic and a lyrical reference to him:

For anyone who'd like to spend some time reprising JJ Cale's own work, there are several full length albums posted on YouTube.
    This is the address of a half hour sample:
    J.J. Cale - Okie 1974 - YouTube

The 90 minute film "To Tulsa And Back" is also available on YouTube

Concert Stars
    I heard about this on Twitter. Sad to hear about it. I only really know one of his own albums and his work with Eric Clapton unfortunately. RIP.

•