• 3 Post By Farawayhills
  • 2 Post By carebear4eva
  • 2 Post By pklongbeach
  • 2 Post By carebear4eva
  • 1 Post By clh_hilary

Thread: All-American Boy

Post All-American Boy

All-American Boy - YouTube

New country male artist who's openly gay and independent.
    GumbyJRH likes this.

Concert Stars
    I really like the song....but don't know anything at all about the artist.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokyiiis View Post
    I really like the song....but don't know anything at all about the artist.
    It's a self release - he raised the money by playing piano locally, but has made a small profit so far, mainly from the streaming royalties. He says:

"I feel like music industry people wouldn’t like the idea of me “pigeonholing” myself by telling this story as I have. But I don’t believe the world sees change until it sees honesty. So I went in on my own."

You can read more about him here:
    The Story Behind Gay Singer Steve Grand's "All-American Boy"
    Smokyiiis likes this.

Insane Carrie Fan Kenny_Chisholm's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I'm sorry but he's using country music to push a certain agenda and I don't think this genre is a place for that.

Concert Stars
    I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Chisholm View Post
    I'm sorry but he's using country music to push a certain agenda and I don't think this genre is a place for that.
    I don't feel that that concern can be applied to him alone, and not to others who might disagree with him. If people argue that his standpoint shouldn't have a place in the genre, then they would also be "using country music to push a certain agenda". Fans are diverse, people who work in the industry are diverse, society is diverse. Country Music doesn't (and shouldn't) belong to any one social ideology.
    CUFan7, carrieguy2 and GumbyJRH like this.

All for what he represents and stands for, of course, but just not feeling the song. Will purchase it anyway as a show of support x)
    liveasong and pklongbeach like this.

Of course, the Gay aspect gets the attention, and the Gay aspect is fundamental to the singer's own experience - but the song is also quite poignant in its more general message. The story-line is about unrequited love - the central character is strongly attracted to someone who doesn't return his feelings. I think that's a situation that anyone could potentially find themselves in, and hopefully relate to.

Concert Stars
    Sounds like Lady Gaga's You and I. I like it. It's also gotten quite a lot of views in the short time it's been released.

What would make it an appropriate place for other agendas (everything from patriotism to beer and Christianity to tractors)?

Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    Of course, the Gay aspect gets the attention, and the Gay aspect is fundamental to the singer's own experience - but the song is also quite poignant in its more general message. The story-line is about unrequited love - the central character is strongly attracted to someone who doesn't return his feelings. I think that's a situation that anyone could potentially find themselves in, and hopefully relate to.
    That's just the thing, though...While I'm really happy that this has happened, the song itself is just a rather dull "Why won't you love me" tune that's plainly sung to say the least. Idk, I just don't like the song and I wish I did! x(

He's pushing an agenda to country music, more than using country music for anything.

And, are you stereotyping the entire country music community as a homophobic place? In that case I'm afraid you're saying country music is not a place for Carrie, Rascal Flatts, Dolly Parton, Martina McBride, Sugarland, Kellie Pickler, Kelly Clarkson, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Taylor Swift, etc either.

Concert Stars
    For this statement to be true you would have to believe that this person has an agenda first and formost and is looking for a place to push or promote it. And he decided to pick the genre of country music as a means of selling a mindset to the public.

Though this may be possible, it seems like an odd stretch to assume.
    Why would a private individual decide to commit himself to selling the concept of homosexuality to society?
    I assume he has a day job and more to do with his time.

Isn't it possible that he is just a gay guy who wants to make country music? And sense country music is about storytelling and honest expressions of ones personal experience, the only way he could really do that is to tell his story?

To make a blanket statement like "he is using country music to sell his agenda, and that agenda is Gay-dom, you would also have to assume that Carrie is selling the agenda of blond hair, and Garth Brooks is selling the agenda of aging white men, and Dolly is selling the agenda of "getting a boob-job".

Being gay is not an agenda. Is a physical phenomenon no different than an other.

The effort to make gay people stay quiet is an agenda.

(just wanted to clear that up for the straight people who are tired of hearing gay people talk about themselves.)

.....ps, straight people have been talking about themselves for over 100,000 years. Its not going to hurt you to let gay people express themselves to.
    GumbyJRH and clh_hilary like this.

Quote Originally Posted by clh_hilary View Post
    He's pushing an agenda to country music, more than using country music for anything.

And, are you stereotyping the entire country music community as a homophobic place? In that case I'm afraid you're saying country music is not a place for Carrie, Rascal Flatts, Dolly Parton, Martina McBride, Sugarland, Kellie Pickler, Kelly Clarkson, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Taylor Swift, etc either.
    Oh, so, NOW we consider her country? x)
    pklongbeach and liveasong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Oh, so, NOW we consider her country? x)
    She has a multi-week number one hit, another top two hit, two other top twenty hits, and two additional chart entries. Yes, she is the nu Queen of country music, replacing the has-been Taylor The Lord Swift.

Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    To make a blanket statement like "he is using country music to sell his agenda, and that agenda is Gay-dom, you would also have to assume that Carrie is selling the agenda of blond hair, and Garth Brooks is selling the agenda of aging white men, and Dolly is selling the agenda of "getting a boob-job".
    Whitney Houston has been using music to force everyone to be black! What a witch! No wonder some god(s) took her life away early! #praisebayonseandthelord
    liveasong likes this.

Concert Stars
    Awe! Love the way he sings "I say we go this road tonight"!

The chorus could've been better though.

•