Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes

Thread: Idol Label passes on Kree Harrison

New Carrie Fan

Angry Idol Label passes on Kree Harrison

Kree is the ONLY runner up not to be signed by an Idol label. It was just released that UMG has passed on her. This is ridiculous as she's so talented.
    jaylee50, rainbow1 and teesharky like this.

Concert Stars
    Wow, that is sad.

I am confused by this.......

On the one hand, I am always the one who complains that they need to focus on the "Winner", but on the other hand, it is a long standing tradition that they give an opportunity to the runner up. So it really sucks for her.

Or maybe its best. (but I doubt it).

Thing is, they are probably going to run with Angie, and i am sorry, but that is just not fair.

All's fair in Love, War and Money!!
    teesharky likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    rainbow1 likes this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Windmills's piece at MJ's explains things quite well, seeing that the tour ticket sales suck and that is an insult to things that suck along with the glut of women trying to break into the industry with little success this really isn't much of a surprise.
    teesharky likes this.

Maybe she'll sign with Sony music Nashville (hoping)
    teesharky likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeper View Post
    Kree is the ONLY runner up not to be signed by an Idol label. It was just released that UMG has passed on her. This is ridiculous as she's so talented.
    Maybe, she'll sign with BM.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
    Maybe, she'll sign with BM.
    Don't see that happening since they have Cassadee Pope and they just signed Danielle Bradley. And of course they have SWSRN. I don't think there's really room for her at BM.

IMO, while Kree is talented, she just didn't display that 'IT' quality or factor on Idol. I don't think she really sparked that much interest so I guess it doesn't surprise me at all. My guess is that if she's signed by a label, its going to be an indy label and its going to be a very uphill climb for her.
    pklongbeach and DizzyDollyDee like this.

Concert Stars
    "Kacey Musgraves is attempting to be the first new solo female act to follow up a t10 hit with a t20 hit since Miranda Lambert."

I really freaking hate country radio.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    What's sick is that it's a known fact that country music is most popular with women.
    Becca
    rainbow1 and HuiZ like this.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by allamericangirl8 View Post
    "Kacey Musgraves is attempting to be the first new solo female act to follow up a t10 hit with a t20 hit since Miranda Lambert."

I really freaking hate country radio.
    Country radio sucks and has sucked for a long time, the only time I listen to it anymore is if someone else is in the car with me and wants to listen to it.

Part of the lack of females not being played on country radio is because outside of Carrie & Miranda and to a far lesser extent Taylor nobody wants to listen to anyone else, maybe Kasey can make it into the Top 10 with "Blowing Smoke".

Kramer had success with "Why Ya Wanna" but "Whiskey" tanked and I think she might be headed down the road of just being another female artist, maybe Cassadee or Danielle can find success but they are going to have to hit it out of the park with their first album otherwise they might not get to do a second one.

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    What's sick is that it's a known fact that country music is most popular with women.
    Becca
    True, but those same women would rather listen to Luke Bryan and not Jana Kramer.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Concert Stars
    At this point, I am rooting so hard for Kacey simply because she's female. The fact that she made a spectacular album is just icing on the cake. It disappoints me so much when I see the likes of Blake Shelton outselling her.

What person in their right mind actually believes Boys 'Round Here is better than Blowin' Smoke?

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Concert Stars
    Wow, no recoding contract, that is a huge and disappointing surprise.
    I would rather have seen either Kree or Angie win Idol rather than ? (can't remember her name...sorry).
    rainbow1 likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Wow, poor Kree.

It really is disgusting how females are treated at country radio. Part of me is actually starting to believe the idea that country fans really are just a bunch of female fans who will buy Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean because they're 'cute' and 'popular' rather than realizing that we actually deserve (or want) to purchase good music.

Apologies for going a bit off topic, but I feel like we live in such a huge consumer culture now, that it has overtaken every aspect of life. Years ago when artists made albums, they spent months (or years), picking out the songs and making sure every detail was just right. Now, we live in a culture where we want everything instantly, and as long as it's catchy as it sells, most people could care less about quality. I feel like music executives shovel whatever they want at artists and they record it simply to get a hit song. What's even scarier is that the whole idea that young consumers will buy whatever they are given simply because they think that's the only option seems to be holding true these days. We can do better, but we won't, because so much crappy music is selling these days, and if the model works, why in the hell would they fix it? lol.

As much as I would love to blame the industry for the decline of mainstream music, I blame the consumers just as much.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    For me, there's a message in the song:

In that example, she saw the potential in the Underwood/Lindsey/Hodges song to impose her own interpretive vision, and come out with a version that's quite distinct. Most talent show contestants would probably be tempted to imitate the style of the writer's original, fail to match it, and leave it to listeners to complement their "efforts". Kree by-passed that temptation and made it, in effect, a different song. Someone that talented deserves to have a career in music whatever setbacks she encounters.

But they don't call it "Heartbreak Town" for nothing. She needs to persevere and "Follow her arrow". (And, if she needs another reminder, another of her admirers, Ashley Monroe, has proven there are several routes you can take after a major label rejection)

Personally, from what I've seen of her vision for Country Musi, c I'd be dubious about taking the Big Machine route.

"It's a big machine
    It used to be the avenue of changing dreams
    And she's a lonely thing, sweeping up the glitter
    While she pulls the strings"

But whatever happens, I think we'll see Kree again.

Concert Stars
    I did a radio survey thing the other day and out of the first 15 songs I couldn't tell you the difference in the songs or who sang them. They all sounded the same and the voice was similar. I can't believe this is what is being played on country radio. When you have Kellie P. with a song that is beautiful and something other than partying barely making it on radio, or radio only playing 2 women consistently . . . it bugs me to no end that women want to just listen to party music. I think Windmills said that it is 52% women and 48% men listeners.
    I also know that Kenny and Blake put out music all the time. I wonder if they worry that they will become irrelevant in the radio format. I also wonder how many of these songs we hear will be remembered in 5 years. I can barely remember some of the songs that made it to #1 last year.
    Rant over :-)

Concert Stars
    What bothers me is that I see people complain about the lack of females, but then when Luke Bryan gets awarded nine times in one night, these very same people are cheering him on. It's like we're not even aware that we're contributing to the problem.

Concert Stars
    I really liked Kree, and was looking forward to her album. She has so many very special friends in Nashville, that I believe someone will sign her. If not, she will probably have a very successful career as a songwriter!!
    teesharky likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by liz278 View Post
    I did a radio survey thing the other day and out of the first 15 songs I couldn't tell you the difference in the songs or who sang them. They all sounded the same and the voice was similar. I can't believe this is what is being played on country radio. When you have Kellie P. with a song that is beautiful and something other than partying barely making it on radio, or radio only playing 2 women consistently . . . it bugs me to no end that women want to just listen to party music. I think Windmills said that it is 52% women and 48% men listeners.
    I also know that Kenny and Blake put out music all the time. I wonder if they worry that they will become irrelevant in the radio format. I also wonder how many of these songs we hear will be remembered in 5 years. I can barely remember some of the songs that made it to #1 last year.
    Rant over :-)
    Ahhh but Liz you have to remember that according to BS he has somehow been given the right to direct the future of country music. His music is the present and the future!!!! Gotta love the arrogance of this half of the shoved down our throats, golden couple.

As far as I see it its just a bunch of male artists copying one another whether it be topics or styles and those that aren't copying one another, they're just doing the same style/sounding music over and over again(ala Kenny C. or Keith U.). It's the females that are exploring new sounds or topics (eg. CU's Blown Away or TBC or CU Again)

teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars
    ^^I agree about the women trying new sounds and different topics. Jana, Kasey, Carrie & Kellie are prime examples of this.

And AAG, I did NOT cheer on Luke winning all he has won. I think he sings about the same thing over and over. He hasn't gone outside his "sound" much. He found what he thinks the women want to hear . . . I for one am very tired of the same song.

Does anyone on here fill out those radio surveys? I just wish a few other women would say on these things that we are tired of the same ole, same ole. Maybe then someone might listen.

P.S.
    About my radio survey when I got done, SYA was rated right behind Brantley G song at 79%. I don't know how they calculate them, but it was really good to see that SYA is getting high ratings by the listeners.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast