Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree648Likes

Thread: Taylor Swift "Red" Era

Carrie Guru

Taylor Swift "Red" Era

As I mentioned in the previous Taylor Swift thread I've decided to start a new chapter in this era in the hopes of keeping the good vibes going.

Have fun with the discussion but please try to respect others feelings when you post. Thanks.

Concert Stars
    Good call, Opry! I'm pretty surprised by how lighthearted the discussion has been lately. Here's to hoping it stays that way.

I want to know the world tour dates. NOW!!!!

So I flied to Tasmania earlier. When the flight landed at Launceston, Jetstar played 'I Knew You Were Trouble.'; when I flied back to Brisbane, they again played IKYWT. I think The Lord is asking me to kill myself.
    liveasong likes this.

Concert Stars
    So I will be interested to see how well Paper Doll actually does.

Is it attached to a Cd? Is it an actual single being released to radio?

And its also starting to look like these "lyric videos" are basically being used as actual videos. I mean I guess it makes sense. They are very cheap and astill seem to do very well in promoting the artist around the internet.
    I suppose, outside of country, the internet is where most people go to see videos anyway. So maybe there is not a whole lot of reason for big send-ups.

I wonder if Tay will respond to the song.................you know she is loving the anticipation...............

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    ^^John's new album comes out in August, so I would assume Paper Doll is the lead single.

Concert Stars
    Wow, ......I hope not for his sake.

Paper Doll is not a very strong lead single.

And again, it comes off as contradictory.
    Of he really was hurt by Dear John and the whole idea of exposing ones personal life just for the sake of making money (whcih is exactly what Taylor was doing on SN / Thank God Red seems nothing like that), than why would he turn around and do the same thing?? Disengenuous much?

Point is; its not very strong as a lead single, and it is just as silly and pathetic to try to make money off a silly date you had with a celebrity 5 years ago as it was for her to try to do it to you.

Concert Stars
    I love the song and I am glad soneone finally gave TS a taste of her own medicine. She deserves it and even she knows it. John Mayer is ten times the writer she will ever be.

Plus- he wasn't mean or cruel in the song. It was pretty lightweight, but honest.
    liveasong and supercarriefan like this.

Concert Stars
    Bought that song on iTunes! GO JOHN!
    teesharky likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan
    I thought this was just a song on the album and because of the lyrics people started speculating about the song -- didn't hear anything that it was going to be the lead single. Seems like to me that John would not want to start a new album era with a song like this. And since because of his vocal health he hasn't been able to travel or perform for a couple of years now, one would think that he'd really want to kick this 'new lease' on his career on a really strong lead single.

I do kinda like that he seems to be striking back at what he felt was a clear dig at him. SWSRN doesn't have a corner on the market on taking potshots at ex love interests. And its refreshing to see that someone is finally giving her back some of her own medicine.

Concert Stars
    Will someone please explain that video to me? Why is that unattractive woman dancing around like a tweety bird?!! Is that the way John pictures Tay?
    HuiZ likes this.

Ban Hammered
    John Mayer is clearly desperate for album sales. She wrote that song how long ago? Back in 2010? He's had an album that he could have responded to Dear John on and he didn't. Instead he simply gave an interview to RollingStone magazine saying he would never do that blah blah blah. However, his previous album came out to decent first week sales (nothing like Taylor does) and quickly faded, not sure if it even went platinum (definitely didn't go 2x's platinum). Fastforward, Taylor has had not 1 but TWO albums that sold over 1 million copies in the FIRST WEEK (likely more then John's total tally of his last studio album). John is clearly trying to capitalize on that since he can't sell on his own.

Same thing with Kanye West, bringing up her name when his album is about to drop. hahaha these people need to give it a rest cuz they don't have a chance in hell at moving her numbers no matter how many songs they write about her or how many times they mention a 2009 VMA incident. These two men are too old to be acting like this.

How old is he again....35? If anything this is going to help Taylor and continue to hurt this old man.

Ultimate Carrie Fan bigbluegrl23's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by interestingread View Post
    John Mayer is clearly desperate for album sales. She wrote that song how long ago? Back in 2010? He's had an album that he could have responded to Dear John on and he didn't. Instead he simply gave an interview to RollingStone magazine saying he would never do that blah blah blah. However, his previous album came out to decent first week sales (nothing like Taylor does) and quickly faded, not sure if it even went platinum (definitely didn't go 2x's platinum). Fastforward, Taylor has had not 1 but TWO albums that sold over 1 million copies in the FIRST WEEK (likely more then John's total tally of his last studio album). John is clearly trying to capitalize on that since he can't sell on his own.

Same thing with Kanye West, bringing up her name when his album is about to drop. hahaha these people need to give it a rest cuz they don't have a chance in hell at moving her numbers no matter how many songs they write about her or how many times they mention a 2009 VMA incident. These two men are too old to be acting like this.

How old is he again....35? If anything this is going to help Taylor and continue to hurt this old man.
    Taylor's a 23 year old woman. What's her excuse? If she's gonna continually **** with people, she should expect to be ****ed with in return.
    Becca

Ban Hammered
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    Taylor's a 23 year old woman. What's her excuse? If she's gonna continually **** with people, she should expect to be ****ed with in return.
    Becca
    23 is not 35. We will have to wait and see what she writing about at 35. Really at 23 being single and having no children what else is she supposed to write about? I'm sure by the time she's 35 she won't be writing about a person 12 years younger.

It's okay to write about whatever you want (that includes John) but clearly he's doing it to try to move copies of his album. She's always done this, so, she's not doing it to sell albums, she's doing it because she's simply writing about her life. That's the difference, John Mayer is copying off her to "try" to have her kind of success and it isn't going to work because that isn't his style.

Check this out....His last studio album "Born and Raised" was released on May 22, 2012 and sold 219,000 the first week and as of December 6, 2012 it had sold 516,000 copies...and is certified gold. No wonder he's writing a cutesy song about Taylor trying to get her fans to buy it. She sold 1.2 million copies of her album in one week and another 623K of her first single in one week. Yeah, John is a little jealous of that type of success.
    Last edited by interestingread; 06-19-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by pklongbeach View Post
    Wow, ......I hope not for his sake.

Paper Doll is not a very strong lead single.

And again, it comes off as contradictory.
    Of he really was hurt by Dear John and the whole idea of exposing ones personal life just for the sake of making money (whcih is exactly what Taylor was doing on SN / Thank God Red seems nothing like that), than why would he turn around and do the same thing?? Disengenuous much?

Point is; its not very strong as a lead single, and it is just as silly and pathetic to try to make money off a silly date you had with a celebrity 5 years ago as it was for her to try to do it to you.
    Well, Taylor pretty much made a career off doing just this...so.... haha
    What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

Concert Stars
    I hate to be the one to remind everyone but it was Taylor herself that said she didn't care if any of the guys did the same thing and wrote a song about her. She left that entirely up to them. So if she's okay with it, who are WE to fuss over it?

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbluegrl23 View Post
    Becca
    And truth be told, he let her off extremely easy. He could have said some pretty nasty things and he still would have been justified in saying it.
    But I am glad he didn't.

Now Harry,..... ha ha ha.... I am REALLY waiting for his single! He doesn't seem to have trouble rubbing peoples faces in their own ......
    supercarriefan likes this.

Concert Stars
    23 is not 35. We will have to wait and see what she writing about at 35. Really at 23 being single and having no children what else is she supposed to write about? I'm sure by the time she's 35 she won't be writing about a person 12 years younger.

It's okay to write about whatever you want (that includes John) but clearly he's doing it to try to move copies of his album. She's always done this, so, she's not doing it to sell albums, she's doing it because she's simply writing about her life. That's the difference, John Mayer is copying off her to "try" to have her kind of success and it isn't going to work because that isn't his style.

Check this out....His last studio album "Born and Raised" was released on May 22, 2012 and sold 219,000 the first week and as of December 6, 2012 it had sold 516,000 copies...and is certified gold. No wonder he's writing a cutesy song about Taylor trying to get her fans to buy it. She sold 1.2 million copies of her album in one week and another 623K of her first single in one week. Yeah, John is a little jealous of that type of success.
    And so this is exactly why I believe it was a bad idea for him to do this. Not because it is obvious or evident what his motives are, but because it is so easy for people to point fingers at the guy asssuming that he should be "the bigger man" and not behave the way the woman is behaving.

He can not win!

Now, as for you interested; you can make all the fun you want to of John for pulling this stunt but the one thing you cannot do is not point at it as exactly the same thing that your favorite girl has done and will most likely continue to do.

You don't want to appear to be a hypocrite right? So you have to at least acknowedge that what John is doing is exactly the same thing as Taylor did. The only difference is he is doing it as a reactionary measure. HE is doing it cause it was done to him. Does he wish to benefit? Of course!! But also, I think he truly feels like he deserves to respond.
    Taylor did it completely out of no where and only because she wanted to make money off of his name and off other peoples names also.
    We can not really have this conversation without you acknowledging her actions when she calls people names and makes accusations, and puts people down.

I am trying to turn over a new leaf with taylor and this thread, but you are not going to get away with turning her into an angel!

Truth: John would have never writen this song if Taylor had not attacked him (and others rather viciously) in songs and to the public, first!

So regardless of what Johns motives are, he is still justified......

I just wish he had not owered himself to her standard.

(at least he did not suggest she was a slut who sleeps with people to get what she wants, like Taylor has said about others)

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Paper Doll is, in fact, John's single. It goes for adds on HAC and Triple A next week.
    teesharky likes this.

Concert Stars

See, this is what bugs me about Taylor Swift fans.

They ALWAYS have to bring Taylor's stats to defend her trashy ass. Her sales are great, yes. But what else does she have honestly ?!?!?

•  
    Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast