• 1 Post By supercarriefan
  • 1 Post By pklongbeach

Thread: Naomi Judd Slams CMT Awards Over Alleged George Jones Slight

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars

Naomi Judd Slams CMT Awards Over Alleged George Jones Slight

Carrie Guru
    Concert Stars
    Good for her, there should have been some kind of tribute for George Jones instead of little mention that they did.

Concert Stars
    While I too think there should have been a little more done, I also see why there may not have been too much.

The CMT's are the party award show. They arent the most serious nor the most watched or talked about. Im still surprised about the whole See You Again thing lol

Unlike the CMAs or ACMs, the CMTs are about current artists, not the past.

But again, I still think, personally, there should have been more done.

Concert Stars
    I mentioned this article in another thread yesterday, but I mistakenly said it was Wynona.

The CMT Awards are about VIDEOS. Right now there is a grand total of 4 GJ videos on their website. George's heyday was long before the video age. How many GJ videos have appeared on their TV countdowns and programs? Not exactly a CMT TV kinda guy. RIP.
    Hil likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Raul Malo (lead singer of the Mavericks) has also been weighing in against the perceived attitude of these organizers towards Country Music's Roots. He posted a picture of Hank Williams, the father figure of the modern genre, with the word "dummy" superimposed on it, saying:

"Do we really need to say anymore about the country music establishment? This image ran for three days at the arena."

(In fairness, Saving Country Music point out that the word "dummy" was probably a technical term, displayed to indicate that the backdrop was a trial for other images that might be displayed in that space - but, as they say, it was extremely insensitive to use that particular photo in that context)

Raul Malo also issued another tweet (apparently overlooking the fact that CMT and the CMA are different organizations - or perhaps including them both in his general criticism of the "powers that be")

"I guess CMA does stand for Country My Ass!"

He was particularly incensed that the organizers gave a full performance slot to Lenny Kravitz, (who has apparently been criticized for demanding that the air conditioning be turned off) while confining people like Ashley Monroe and Kree Harrison to less than a minute

"So when is country music going to grow some balls and close its legs to every has-been, asshole Rockstar that wants to be on tv?

[i]"The Mavericks ‏@MavericksMusic 7 Jun To all the young singers that we backed last night @kreeharrison @RandyHouser @ashleymonroe @loveandtheft @dustinlynch @CassadeePope...
    ...you all sang your butts off. Wish you would've had more time. You deserved it. You were all so pro. Great job."

(He's been getting quite a bit of support - but I wouldn't bet on the organizers asking him back)
    supercarriefan and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Good for her.

I'm not the least bit surprised by this, though, considering CMT stopped being about the music a long time ago, and they'll do anything to bring in the ratings. The producers probably figured they could get away with leaving a big George Jones tribute out of this show because it caters to the younger demographic.

However, that doesn't make it any less disrespectful, and it just goes to show how trashy CMT is now. Yuck.

George was hardly a fan of modern country music, so something tells me he'd be rolling over in his grave to be associated with this trainwreck show. LOL.
    Cathie Wynkoop likes this.

I did think it was inappropriate to cut to commercial in the middle of the George Jones tribute, but then again I expected nothing less from the CMTs. They're hardly an organization known for respecting country music's roots. Now, I expect to see a far better tribute to Mr. Jones at the CMA's this fall, likely by our own Carrie and Mr. Brad Paisley.

Concert Stars
    We all know what CMT is. And how it rolls.

I think she had a solid point and I am glad she made it. But I shouldn't think she should worry about being black-balled, she should plan to black-ball it herself!

Thats the problem with shows like this that aim to be the young cool hype shows. No one bothers to take them seriously and treat them like they are excused due to youthful exuberance.
    Funny thing is the people managing it are probably on average over 40.

But MTV/CMT are managing to stay relevant acting like asses. So, you should not expect alot from them.

I remember back during the year after 9/11, there were so many tributes from the strangest places it just started to feel completely out-of-context. So I understand why they didn't do much. It is just not the audience for it.

And if you are not the audience for it, maybe you shouldn't watch or participate either. That is the only way they will change.

I don't watch anything that will not highlight carrie. Not as a stand of solidarity, but because I think they are generally tacky and self serving anyway. So if they are not going to give me what I want, why watch??

Thats how I feel about MTV and CMT.
    Hil likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    At least Naomi had the guts to speak up about this. The tribute at the CMTs was oddly placed, and seemed to be a last minute addition to the show.

Funny how the lead singer of The Mavericks is talking about this issue, yet it looked like he was reading the words to The Race Is On when performing. He likely should have learned the words to pay tribute. It is very kind of The Mavericks to give a shout-out to all of the performers on the side stage. I would have much rather watched some of them on the big stage in place of a few performers that got that opportunity.

The CMAs are likely planning a much better tribute to George Jones for their show, and the audience that will be tuning in will likely appreciate it more. I know we all love Carrie and Brad, but it will be a slap in the face to George Jones if all we get is one minute of them performing one of his songs. They need to stage a full tribute.

I do find it interesting how people like Naomi Judd are raising a fuss about this particular incident, yet I don't think anyone in the industry or otherwise bothered to notice that none of the country awards paid proper tribute to Kitty Wells when she passed. I guess it can just be chalked up to the poor treatment of the women in country music even after death.
    GumbyJRH likes this.

Concert Stars
    True that.

Aside from a little crossover success for Jones, Kitty Wells was easily as influencial to the direction of Country Music (and more specifically women of country) as George was to the genre in general.
    robinannhunt likes this.

•