Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By utlovescarrie
  • 1 Post By clh_hilary

Thread: Sheryl Crow - ''Easy'' (First official country single)

Huge Carrie Follower

Sheryl Crow - ''Easy'' (First official country single)

Sheryl Crow is a nine time Grammy award-winning artist (out of thirty-two Grammy nominations) has won a grammy for record of the year and for Best new artist, and has sold over 50 million albums worldwide. She is currently working on her first country album (8th studio album overally) which will be released in August/September 2013.

Her first official country single called ''Easy'' has just entered the Hot Country Airplay top 30.

Here is the official video of the new single:

Concert Stars
    Sorry, I had not commented cause usually if I don't have anything positive to say, I get myself into trouble. ha ha ha.

With that said, I like sherly. I like her voice. I like her sound. And this song is very much typical Sheryl.

And therein lies the issue with me. It sounds exactly like all her folk-pop stuff. So why is it a "country release"?
    Why is it not sent to pop radio like all her stuff usually is.

I just think it is getting really weird lately with these artists that don't want to "associate" with the term country, but they are willing to release songs to country radio. Like "look at me, my song just charted over on the country charts"!
    And thats not true. You released it to the country charts!!!

So I keep thinking of Kelly C. stating loud and clear I am a pop singer and I do not want a country career. And then there she is all over the place, as if country just won't leave her alone, when clearly she is the one pursuing it!!

So yeah, sheryl sounds great. She always does. She is authentic and I love her vib.

But if you want to release country music than say you are going to release some country music.
    Don't act like it just somehow managed to show up over there on the country charts.
    I don't know, with so many young people trying so hard to solidify what country is, and to make solid country music, we keep getting these big names charting on country with music they refuse to even call country music.

Weird. But I do like her and the song.

Sorry, but you asked!! ha ha ha

Insane Carrie Fan utlovescarrie's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    I'm following pklongbeach's example. I am not a Sheryl Crow fan, I am not interested in her music and I am SICK TO DEATH of artists trying to become "country"! Enough already.

Carrie Guru
    I like Sheryls music but agree with pk, this single sounds just like her regular music. Maybe her album will be more country sounding.

Concert Stars
    If you don't like it you can blame Brad Paisley. She said he's the one that told her to do a country album.

I personally used to love Sheryl. I haven't paid much attention to her recent music but the earlier stuff was great. I'll give her a chance. She could be the next Darius Rucker.

I don't see anything wrong with Sheryl, or Kelly, or whoever putting out songs to country radio. If it's good song who cares if it's a pop artist. That's like pop stations not playing Carrie just because she's country. If she puts out a pop song I want it to get airplay.

Concert Stars
    Oh and Kelly said she is a pop singer and likes it because she can sing every style including country. She just doesn't want to be solely country.

Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by twaintrain View Post
    If you don't like it you can blame Brad Paisley. She said he's the one that told her to do a country album.

I personally used to love Sheryl. I haven't paid much attention to her recent music but the earlier stuff was great. I'll give her a chance. She could be the next Darius Rucker.

I don't see anything wrong with Sheryl, or Kelly, or whoever putting out songs to country radio. If it's good song who cares if it's a pop artist. That's like pop stations not playing Carrie just because she's country. If she puts out a pop song I want it to get airplay.
    WEll, but see, that is my point; if she in fact put out a country album and this is the first single. I have no problem with that at all. Just call it what it is.

And I do agree that "natural crossovers" are not a problem. OF course I don't have a problem with pop stations playing Carrie. But there is a difference; popular music stations play many different subgenres. What ever is "pop"ular, that is what they play. No problem.

As for Kelly, I am still not quite convinced.
    I am not sure an announcement like "I like to sing pop music cause that way I can sing anything I want", quite makes me feel any better. Ha ha ha.

But to each there own. Carrie, as one of the top played females in the genre, is not being effected, so I don't know why I should care so much:

"Carrie's just a pop singer pretending to be a country singer; Carries just a country singer trying to get Pop airplay; Carries not country; Carries just a reality show winner; Carrie got handed everything bought and paid for; Carrie can't get pop play cause she is country; Carrie only sings pop songs on country radio; Carrie only got where she is on her looks; Carrie........; Carrie.........' Carrie..........;

Oh yeah, now I remember why I care so much.

Concert Stars
    Well Sheryl's new CD is supposed to be a country album. I guess I just don't have a problem with pop artists singing country songs or country artists singing pop songs. I think it comes from being a Shania fan and seeing how she was treated for being different. It was really unfair.

I used to like her and I still own all of her albums, including two of her compilations. But this bores me.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by utlovescarrie View Post
    I'm following pklongbeach's example. I am not a Sheryl Crow fan, I am not interested in her music and I am SICK TO DEATH of artists trying to become "country"! Enough already.
    I'm not a Sheryl Crow fan, but I don't suspect she's trying to crossover to country music. She had a hit with "Picture" with Kid Rock, and country radio has supported her music in the past.

Sometimes I think artists attempt to achieve success in other genres once they've been tossed aside by Pop/AC and don't fit there anymore. But country radio will pretty much give anybody a chance as long as they're not singing top 40 Katy Perry/Britney/Ke$ha styled pop.

My Grandma and I were talking about the issue of pop singers trying to "go country," and she said she thinks it's because country has become the 'cool' genre, and aside from pop, its artists make the most money and get the most mainstream attention.

I usually don't mind when an artist pushes a single or two to country radio; it does become a problem for me when there is an active push to help a crossover artist achieve success in country music so they can stay there.

I know Kelly is a pop artist, but her team is pushing the "country" aspect down our throats, and that's what's bothering me. Kelly can say how pop she is all day long, but at the end of the day if you're team is heavily pushing you in another format, scheduling appearances, etc, that suggests a conflict of interest.

Be who are you are, just don't pretend otherwise when it doesn't fit your agenda anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    I'm not a Sheryl Crow fan,
    Judging from her dismal sales, hardly anybody is now.

but I don't suspect she's trying to crossover to country music.
    She isn't crossing over, she is launching a country music career. Like Jessica Simpson. Except that Simpson actually broke a record and reached the Top 20.

She had a hit with "Picture" with Kid Rock,
    Was it country hit? I know it reached as high as No.4 on the Hot 100. Kid Rock is not a country artist.

and country radio has supported her music in the past.
    Yes, but not any more than their support towards Kelly Clarkson and Miley Cyrus. 'The First Cut Is The Deepest' made it to the Top 40 and that's basically it. But she does do a lot of country things. Like singing on the tribute track, collaborating with Brad Paisley, appearing in 'Boys 'Round Here', being in Martina McBride's 'I'm Gonna Love You Through It' video.

Sometimes I think artists attempt to achieve success in other genres once they've been tossed aside by Pop/AC and don't fit there anymore.
    They try whenever they could. Sheryl Crow would still have fitted in with the AC radio and Hot AC radio stations, it's just that she couldn't score a hit anymore. But she actually scored a pair of Top 10 hits on Triple A last era I believe.

But country radio will pretty much give anybody a chance
    They didn't give a chance to Lady GaGa's 'Born This Way', or Rihanna's 'California King Bed' even with the endorsement from Sugarland. In fact, they did not give a chance to Lauren Alania.

as long as they're not singing top 40 Katy Perry
    They have played 'Waking Up In Vegas' almost enough to let it chart. Also as a trivia, 'California Gurls' featuring Snoop Dogg was premiered on CMT.

/Britney
    'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' was No.13.

/Ke$ha styled pop.
    'I Knew You Were Trouble.' charted.

My Grandma and I were talking about the issue of pop singers trying to "go country," and she said she thinks it's because country has become the 'cool' genre,
    Give thanks to The Lord.

and aside from pop, its artists make the most money and get the most mainstream attention.
    Actually that'd be AC.

I usually don't mind when an artist pushes a single or two to country radio; it does become a problem for me when there is an active push to help a crossover artist achieve success in country music so they can stay there.
    Why is it a problem when someone wants to have a career in country music?

I know Kelly is a pop artist, but her team is pushing the "country" aspect down our throats, and that's what's bothering me. Kelly can say how pop she is all day long, but at the end of the day if you're team is heavily pushing you in another format, scheduling appearances, etc, that suggests a conflict of interest.
    There isn't. She would acknowledge that only very few of her singles have been country friendly, even with remixes. She's a Hot AC artist with Pop and AC success. Likewise she's a Hot AC artist with Country success.

Be who are you are, just don't pretend otherwise when it doesn't fit your agenda anymore.
    She never claimed her agenda to be be a country artist. Was Mariah Carey at fault when she releases rhythmic/urban mixes of her singles to rhythmic/urban radio?
    pgk likes this.

•