Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By supercarriefan
  • 1 Post By clh_hilary
  • 1 Post By gocountrymusic
  • 2 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Pistol Annies - Annie Up Era

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars

Pistol Annies - Annie Up Era

There is a stream of the new Pistol Annies' album on Amazon: Amazon.com: New from Pistol Annies

I'm listening to the album right now. I love the opening track. The lead single, "Hush Hush", is growing on me. I'm not impressed with "Being Pretty Ain't Pretty"...I find it boring. I love the production on "Unhappily Married". I'm listening to "Loved By A Workin' Man" right now.

I'll be back with my thoughts on the rest of the album.
    Carrieflattsfan and rainbow1 like this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan supercarriefan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    The album as a whole seems to have more energy than their debut. I like this album a lot.

Carrie Follower
    I like this album too, I hope they do very well.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    @Miranda_Lambert: Well... we are here. NYC! Pistol Annies will be on the Today show tomorrow morning! #annieup

'Hush Hush' is good, but it seems they are becoming more generic now.

Huge Carrie Follower
    I like Hush Hush, haven't listened to any others yet. It seems anything Miranda does the Country media love Country Weekly "If only every superstar band were as fulfilling as Pistol Annies"

Other than 'Hush Hush', the album is not generic, so it's a good sign. Not really my cup of tea, but good try.
    gocountrymusic likes this.

Obsessed Carrie Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorbacks78 View Post
    I like Hush Hush, haven't listened to any others yet. It seems anything Miranda does the Country media love Country Weekly "If only every superstar band were as fulfilling as Pistol Annies"
    Well in their defense their material is pretty top notch when it comes to quality. I actually like both the Pistol Annies albums more than Miranda's last album. And while of course they (label, artists, etc.) want to make money they don't seem to face that much pressure to "make it big" so the quality stays intact.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    Both "Annie Up" and "Like A Rose" made the cut for Rolling Stones "Best Albums of 2103, Mid Year Report:

Annies:

The second LP by the all-female supergroup – Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley – is, like their 2011 debut, full of attitude and guffaws, delivered in three-part harmony over down-home country, rockabilly romps and anthemic mutant bluegrass. But there's pathos beneath the jokes: plenty of domestic decay and poignant love songs.

From the RS review: "There may be better bands than Pistol Annies, but what band is more of a hoot?"

Best Albums of 2013: Mid-Year Report: Pistol Annies, 'Annie Up' | Rolling Stone

Like A Rose:

You might remember this gal from her turn on Hell on Heels by Pistol Annies. This one's is even better. Traditionalist, countrypolitan and honky-tonk all at once, beneath the period garb is a modern woman who advocates "weed instead of roses" to revive a moribund sex life and drops references to Fifty Shades of Grey.

From the RS review: "Nine songs, 32 minutes, no false moves."

Best Albums of 2013: Mid-Year Report: Ashley Monroe, 'Like a Rose' | Rolling Stone

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Ashley has referred to the Pistol Annies' hiatus in her latest interview - though it's questionable whether it clarifies much. Basically, she's saying that it's all down to solo records and lack of time, and the rumours that have circulated are wide of the mark. In any case, she seems to offer no hope of a quick reunion.

Vickye: So speaking of going on tour, during the summer the Pistol Annies cancelled their tour dates, said no time for rehearsals… there have been some rumors going round that the Pistol Annies broke up, and there’s been more speculation as to why that might be… Are you able to clear any of that up?
    Ashley: Oh gosh, no I think we’ve told what happened, it’s funny how people just make up things, even after you tell what happened. It is what we said it was, we didn’t have time to rehearse for the tour, and we wanted to be our best. And it’s really as simple as that, but it’s entertaining to read all the different views. All the soap opera stories people can make up!
    Vickye: I’ll bet!
    Ashley: I understand you know, I’m glad people care! It’s a good sign when people care about your music and care about you, so. But no, nothing else to say about it!
    Vickye: So, will we see the Annies go on another tour, like is there a space set aside for another tour?
    Ashley: We don’t have any plans right now, Miranda’s making her record, Anga’s making one, I’m making one end of February. We’re all doing our own thing right now, which is fine, it’s what we wanted to do originally.

There are other interesting points in the full interview, including ta discussion women's opportunities on Mainstream radio:

Ashley Monroe On New Music, The Future of The Annies, Her Recent Wedding & The Place Of Women On Country Radio ? Interview | For The Country Record
    rainbow1 and CALEBJOE like this.

•