Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The Dixie Chicks Genral Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars

    The Dixie Chicks Genral Discussion Thread

    There are a few huge fans of DC here, so I thought it'd be appropriate to start a general discussion thread.



    Classic ftw.

    Post away.

  • #2
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Well, we already have a Dixie Chicks thread, a Courtyard Hounds thread and a Natalie Maines solo career thread, so this is really required! But, hey, I'm not even slightly complaining!

    Let's start with....Ranking the albums!

    For me, it's Home > Fly > Wide Open Space = Taking The Long Way
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

  • #3
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    There is a general DC thread? Really?

    It'd be too much work to drag it up at this point anyway, and I don't really wanna discuss Nat's solo career or The Courtyard Hounds because I ONLY ADORE DC.

    Anyway, ranking the albums:

    Home > Fly > Wide Open Spaces

    Taking The Long Way

    The flawlessness of DC in general, though, I cry.

  • #4
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    There are a few huge fans of DC here, so I thought it'd be appropriate to start a general discussion thread.



    Classic ftw.

    Post away.
    The background to "Goodbye Earl" is interesting. It was written by veteran songwriter Dennis Linde (who, sadly, passed away a couple of years ago).
    The song was first performed in concerts by a male band, Sons of the Desert, and they did record it - but the album was not released. The band were soon dropped, and there may have been other differences - but it seems clear that Sony wanted the song released by a female band, which they thought would give the subject matter more resonance with their largely female target audience. As it was, some conservative stations refused to play the song because of its story line, but the Chicks' decision to lighten the serious message with wry comedy touches (even more apparent in the video) defused much of the opposition.
    Carrieflattsfan and rainbow1 like this.

  • #5
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Spam posting this now

    Natalie Maines - Free Life - YouTube

  • #6
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Lovely little video that really shows how much effort they put into their work and how well they worked as a group.

    Dixie Chicks Acoustic - YouTube
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.

  • #7
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Lovely little video that really shows how much effort they put into their work and how well they worked as a group.

    Dixie Chicks Acoustic - YouTube
    Damn, that gave me chills; their talent is unparalleled.

    This whole situation just makes me kinda sad, though. Natalie said what she did, and it seems like it did eventually take its toll on them as a band, even if they were supportive of her at the time.

    IMO, the above proves that the music speaks louder than any PERSONAL opinion ever should, and the path they're taking does not look promising as far as reuniting is concerned.

    I'm hoping Natalie simply has ambitions to work on her solo album and her apathetic attitude does not mean she has no interest in making another DC album, because that's what it sounds like to me.

  • #8
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,022
    They are reuniting temporarily for what I hope will be four (already announced) dates in Canada and one in Austin, TX. Although we've had no details on songs, one of the Canadian venues announced that they will be adding "exciting new sounds" as well as reprising older hits. I suspect that the new songs the Hounds have been writing are actually intended for the Chicks to perform this summer (since the Hounds' own second album is already finished and awaiting release). They have recently written with Ryan Adams, and have just said that they're writing with Jim Scott (who's worked on the production side with both the Chicks and the Hounds on their last albums)

    I agree with the album rankings you two have been discussing - but I'd make a distinction at the top end.
    I feel "Fly" is the best album for Natalie as lead singer, and for presenting the widest variety of Country Music styles -
    - whereas "Home" is the top album for the Dixie Chicks as a trio, and for sheer overall artistry.

    There were, by the way, three albums before WOS. "Thank Heavens for Dale Evans", which established their "cowgirl" image, performing a mixture of Progressive and Revivalist styles, with its blend of Bluegrass and Western Swing;
    "Li'l Ol' Cowgirl", a transitional album in which they introduced drums and pedal steel, coinciding with working with male musicians on tour (causing them to change their description from "All-Cowgirl Band" to just "Cowgirl Band")
    And what turned out to be an eerily prophetic title "Shouldn't 'a' Told 'em That". Laura was now the sole lead singer, and she turned the style more to Pop and Blues influences, leading to being scouted by Sony for a Nashville deal

    This song, from the first album may interest Carrie fans, because (at least in my view) it gives some indication of what could have been done with "Oklahoma Wind", if that had proceeded to a fuller studio production.. The link is that Jon Randall (the co-writer of OW), grew up in the same musical circle as Martie and Emily, and this song bears similar stylistic influences. The lead singer here is Robin Macy.


    rainbow1 likes this.

  • #9
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    First Listen: Natalie Maines, 'Mother' : NPR

  • #10
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Farawayhills View Post
    They are reuniting temporarily for what I hope will be four (already announced) dates in Canada and one in Austin, TX. Although we've had no details on songs, one of the Canadian venues announced that they will be adding "exciting new sounds" as well as reprising older hits. I suspect that the new songs the Hounds have been writing are actually intended for the Chicks to perform this summer (since the Hounds' own second album is already finished and awaiting release). They have recently written with Ryan Adams, and have just said that they're writing with Jim Scott (who's worked on the production side with both the Chicks and the Hounds on their last albums)

    I agree with the album rankings you two have been discussing - but I'd make a distinction at the top end.
    I feel "Fly" is the best album for Natalie as lead singer, and for presenting the widest variety of Country Music styles -
    - whereas "Home" is the top album for the Dixie Chicks as a trio, and for sheer overall artistry.

    There were, by the way, three albums before WOS. "Thank Heavens for Dale Evans", which established their "cowgirl" image, performing a mixture of Progressive and Revivalist styles, with its blend of Bluegrass and Western Swing;
    "Li'l Ol' Cowgirl", a transitional album in which they introduced drums and pedal steel, coinciding with working with male musicians on tour (causing them to change their description from "All-Cowgirl Band" to just "Cowgirl Band")
    And what turned out to be an eerily prophetic title "Shouldn't 'a' Told 'em That". Laura was now the sole lead singer, and she turned the style more to Pop and Blues influences, leading to being scouted by Sony for a Nashville deal

    This song, from the first album may interest Carrie fans, because (at least in my view) it gives some indication of what could have been done with "Oklahoma Wind", if that had proceeded to a fuller studio production.. The link is that Jon Randall (the co-writer of OW), grew up in the same musical circle as Martie and Emily, and this song bears similar stylistic influences. The lead singer here is Robin Macy.


    That's an interesting distinction, and one I hadn't considered before.

    But, I (surprisingly), wouldn't hesitate to agree with that, because "Fly" showcases Natalie's talent as the vocalist in its most natural form. I think "Fly" is probably the best showcase of Natalie's natural vocal tone/ability, and as you said, "Fly" is also a bit more diverse than "Home" as well.

    "Home" is their strongest cohesive album to me, though, and it is their best work as a band.

    It's interesting to me that Natalie said her heart is in rock music, and that was originally the direction she intended to pursue until she found out DC needed a new lead singer. Natalie is a distinctive vocalist because she has a voice that is cut out of the cloth of country music due to the strong twang.

    Now that I have heard Natalie discuss it, though, it now makes a little more sense as to why her, Martie and Emily decided to go into 3 different directions musically. Martie and Emily have a love for Bluegrass/roots, and Natalie's heart is in rock. I hope they can eventually get back together and create something they all love in the future, because it would be a shame if their vastly different creative desires prevented that.

  • #11
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890

  • #12
    Hil
    Hil is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Hil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    I don't really get her. I mean all she had to do years ago is apologize, even if she didn't want to. It was a sensitive time and wouldn't have been so bad had it not have been. She just can't stop talking lol Geez!

  • #13
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I don't really get her. I mean all she had to do years ago is apologize, even if she didn't want to. It was a sensitive time and wouldn't have been so bad had it not have been. She just can't stop talking lol Geez!

  • #14
    Hil
    Hil is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Hil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    LOL that's funny.

  • #15
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    LOL that's funny.
    Dianna Agron is flawless <3

    Also, what you said is exactly what a whole bunch of people threw at Carrie very recently. Obviously Carrie was far less outspoken than my beloved Natalie was, but same thing, really.

  • #16
    Hil
    Hil is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Hil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Dianna Agron is flawless <3

    Also, what you said is exactly what a whole bunch of people threw at Carrie very recently. Obviously Carrie was far less outspoken than my beloved Natalie was, but same thing, really.
    Well..I don't think Natalie should change her views for anything or anyone...just apologize for behavior for the sake of the entire group. She wasn't a solo singer....she sank her group. I don't know...just seemed kinda selfish b/c she was being stubborn. but I could be wrong...it's their business.

  • #17
    Insane Carrie Fan carebear4eva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, On
    Posts
    5,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    Well..I don't think Natalie should change her views for anything or anyone...just apologize for behavior for the sake of the entire group. She wasn't a solo singer....she sank her group. I don't know...just seemed kinda selfish b/c she was being stubborn. but I could be wrong...it's their business.
    Oh, okay, that's a very different thing! Sorry, I misinterpreted your point.

    It's interesting, because I've often thought about that...In name and publicly, the other 2 Chicks were all about supporting Natalie and everything. There was never any external divisions to be seen. I remember this one interview in which the interviewer asked Em and Martie whether they ever wanted to strangle Natalie and just tell her to shut up. They both sorta laughed off the question without answering it.

    Also, just an FYI, Natalie did issue a carefully worded apology in the immediate aftermath ("I apologize for disrespecting the office of the President..."). This was when they still thought the issue was a minor thing that would blow over in a week or so. She recanted that apology when it turned into the sh!tstorm that it did, because she felt she now had a public responsibility to stand up for the institution of free speech - quite simply, the initial apology was to mollify a couple of hurt sentiments and get things "back to normal", apologizing after it got the attention that it did would be a massive loss for the 1st amendment.
    Hil likes this.

  • #18
    Hil
    Hil is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Hil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear4eva View Post
    Oh, okay, that's a very different thing! Sorry, I misinterpreted your point.

    It's interesting, because I've often thought about that...In name and publicly, the other 2 Chicks were all about supporting Natalie and everything. There was never any external divisions to be seen. I remember this one interview in which the interviewer asked Em and Martie whether they ever wanted to strangle Natalie and just tell her to shut up. They both sorta laughed off the question without answering it.

    Also, just an FYI, Natalie did issue a carefully worded apology in the immediate aftermath ("I apologize for disrespecting the office of the President..."). This was when they still thought the issue was a minor thing that would blow over in a week or so. She recanted that apology when it turned into the sh!tstorm that it did, because she felt she now had a public responsibility to stand up for the institution of free speech - quite simply, the initial apology was to mollify a couple of hurt sentiments and get things "back to normal", apologizing after it got the attention that it did would be a massive loss for the 1st amendment.
    I get that i do. I guess i'm one of those people who would pretty much say whatever to keep other's happy. Her opinion changed nothing except for her and the Dixie Chick's career. I would have said whatever my PR people told me to, b/c I wouldn't have cared that much. lol To me, she just threw millions of dollars down the drain for nothing, but if it was worth it for her and the band...then good for her.
    I would have said anything and then "Show me the money" LOL

  • #19
    Ultimate Carrie Fan Carrieflattsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    7,830
    Concert Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Hil View Post
    I get that i do. I guess i'm one of those people who would pretty much say whatever to keep other's happy. Her opinion changed nothing except for her and the Dixie Chick's career. I would have said whatever my PR people told me to, b/c I wouldn't have cared that much. lol To me, she just threw millions of dollars down the drain for nothing, but if it was worth it for her and the band...then good for her.
    I would have said anything and then "Show me the money" LOL
    Natalie has always been extremely outspoken, and has said herself that she SPECIFICALLY apologized if she offended the office of the president, but not for the comments themselves. She also said she only apologized for the sake of Martie and Emily.

    Natalie seems like the type who would rather stick to her convictions than change her story because it would help her career. She said what she said, and accepted the consequences. She could've easily retracted her statement and said she was sorry, but she said that was what she felt at the time, and she wasn't going to take it back.

    I don't think ANYBODY could've predicted that one little comment would wreck DC's career and cause country fans/radio to completely turn on them.

    Natalie has made it pretty clear she was upset by how she was treated by country fans/radio after the incident, and it turned her off to the entire genre. Now she wants nothing to do with it because she stated her opinion and paid the ultimate price. I honestly don't really blame her, either. Her whole world was turned upside down because people didn't like her opinion, they sent death threats, etc. Natalie had to move her entire family because she was afraid for her life. I can't imagine how it must feel to know that people who are supposed to support you can turn in a second and do things like that because of one comment.

    I honestly doubt DC will ever get back together, but I do wonder if there is more tension between them then we originally saw. Martie and Emily supported Natalie publicly, but Natalie also said that her comments hurt the girls, too. They all paid the ultimate price, and I can't say I think Natalie should apologize because she was disgusted with the behavior of people who were former fans.

    She keeps discussing it because "the incident" is infamous now, and people are wondering if DC has broken up because Natalie is releasing a solo album.
    Hil likes this.

  • #20
    Hil
    Hil is offline
    Obsessed Carrie Fan Hil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrieflattsfan View Post
    Natalie has always been extremely outspoken, and has said herself that she SPECIFICALLY apologized if she offended the office of the president, but not for the comments themselves. She also said she only apologized for the sake of Martie and Emily.

    Natalie seems like the type who would rather stick to her convictions than change her story because it would help her career. She said what she said, and accepted the consequences. She could've easily retracted her statement and said she was sorry, but she said that was what she felt at the time, and she wasn't going to take it back.

    I don't think ANYBODY could've predicted that one little comment would wreck DC's career and cause country fans/radio to completely turn on them.

    Natalie has made it pretty clear she was upset by how she was treated by country fans/radio after the incident, and it turned her off to the entire genre. Now she wants nothing to do with it because she stated her opinion and paid the ultimate price. I honestly don't really blame her, either. Her whole world was turned upside down because people didn't like her opinion, they sent death threats, etc. Natalie had to move her entire family because she was afraid for her life. I can't imagine how it must feel to know that people who are supposed to support you can turn in a second and do things like that because of one comment.

    I honestly doubt DC will ever get back together, but I do wonder if there is more tension between them then we originally saw. Martie and Emily supported Natalie publicly, but Natalie also said that her comments hurt the girls, too. They all paid the ultimate price, and I can't say I think Natalie should apologize because she was disgusted with the behavior of people who were former fans.

    She keeps discussing it because "the incident" is infamous now, and people are wondering if DC has broken up because Natalie is releasing a solo album.
    Honestly thanks for this...I really don't know much about it. I mean yea, I remember it happening...but perhaps there wasn't much she could do about it, so she just decided to roll.
    Carrieflattsfan likes this.


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 469
      Last Post: 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM
    2. [Oct. 2] VH1 Unplugged (Official Discussion Thread)
      By liveasong in forum Carrie Underwood Chat
      Replies: 200
      Last Post: 10-05-2012, 01:31 AM
    3. Carriefans Wiki Discussion Thread
      By cole in forum Suggestions
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM
    4. A special treat for any early Dixie Chicks fans!
      By Farawayhills in forum Music
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM
    5. Carrie Tonight The Heartaches On Me (Dixie Chicks Cover)
      By Carrie Country in forum Carrie On Youtube
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 02-06-2011, 08:39 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •