Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: Court Yard Hounds - sophomore album era

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

Court Yard Hounds - sophomore album era

I haven't heard the title yet - release is expected in the summer. Two songs were previewed at SXSW - they described the mood as rather lighter and more upbeat.

This is a nice shot of Emily from the show:

http://www.kgsr.com/Pics/PhotoAlbums..._59__900W.Jpeg

It's now been announced that the title will be "Amalita" and the release date will be July 16th.

Apparently, they made studio cuts of 18 songs - not all of which will make the album. Emily has hinted she's aiming at 12, with perhaps 2 bonus (though that should not be taken as final.)

Likely candidates may be taken from this list (some of which have been performed at shows):

Life's About to Change
    Rock All Night
    Sunshine
    Thinkin 'Bout
    Torch
    Watch Your Step
    World Smiles
    You
    Phoebe
    Aimless & Upwards
    Best Is Yet to Come
    Amalita
    Divided
    Get's You Down
    Guy (or Boy, according to some reports) Like You

(Martie takes lead on the last, apparently)

"Amalita", the title song, is one of the "light hearted" songs, apparently written about a "hooker". Emily wrote much of the first album while divorce was fresh in her mind - she has said that this album will have a predominantly lighter feel.

"Phoebe" is a leftover from the first era, and was inspired by the story of an immigrant girl, who took her life after incidents of bullying. It's was one of my favourites, and I'd be pleased if it now got a release.

The actual track listing may appear from next week, as the announcement said further details would follow then.

opry051008 likes this.

Update: The track listing has come out faster than that - which makes the last post rather redundant, Lol

Here it is:

Sunshine
    Amelita
    The World Smiles
    Aimless Upward
    A Guy Like You
    Rock All Night
    Phoebe
    Divided
    Gets You Down
    Watch Your Step
    The Road You Take

There's a Billboard article here - which gives Sunshine (a song previewed at SXSW) as the first single:
    Court Yard Hounds to Release 'Amelita' in July | Billboard

Carrie Guru Carrie_Rocks_The_House's Avatar
    Concert Stars
    That is so cool Country Hound sophomore album. Their first album was really good I hope the second album has more good songs

The lead single, "Sunshine", can now be heard here:
    Court Yard Hounds Premiere New Song 'Sunshine' | Music News | Rolling Stone

Nice picture of Emily and Martie (putting the dirt road metaphor to good use for once!)
    The smaller picture, by the sound stream, is the single's cover art, by the way - there's a bigger version on Amazon.

The song itself is quite complex. On one level it has something of a summer feel, and is fairly light and upbeat (especially in the choruses). But the verse lyrics have more of a bite - amounting to a critique of a flawed personality, who craves attention, but can't relate to the needs of others.

This is my provisional take on the lyrics:

"They tell me that you don't like people,
    You can only believe in yourself
    You pity all those who lack your higher breeding,
    So I can see the reason you don't have anybody left.
    Could it be you wear your fur on the inside
    Prefer not to go outside, where the sky is way too blue?
    Tonight you'll grace us with all your inner presence
    While your backhanded complements appear out of the blue

CHORUS
    Hey-ey, don't rain on my parade,
    kill a perfect day wasting my time
    Hey-ey, You always find a way to bring me down when I feel fine
    We call you sunshine

I'm just an angel that sits upon your shoulder
    And says the world will pass you over while you're waiting for a crown
    You're no stranger to the art of how to fake it
    You play until you break it - mak it hard to be around

CHORUS

Some day, you'll be up on your mountain, high above the clouds
    Where you can never be found
    But you start a fight just to beg for intervention
    You like the drama and attention,
    God forbid we bring you down

CHORUS"

Junior Carrie Follower
    Heard Miss Natalie Maines, has a CD out, as well. Heard it was in the Top 20. I miss the Dixie Chicks! God Speed
    And

Many Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by Angel8675 View Post
    Heard Miss Natalie Maines, has a CD out, as well. Heard it was in the Top 20. I miss the Dixie Chicks! God Speed
    And

Many Blessings
    Yes, Natalie has released an album with Ben Harper. I put up a review on Twitlonger,
    TwitLonger ? When you talk too much for Twitter

It did debut in the top 20 on Billboard, but after three weeks, they have it at 57 and falling. Natalie has made a conscious attempt to distance herself from the Dixie Chicks image, and I have to say that opinions about this record in their own fan base have been mixed. While her return is getting a lot of support in principle, the music itself is disappointing some fans, and I think it will perform below expectations.

I hope it will be a prelude to further work, but the CYH currently seem more in tune with their fans.

You can also hear the title track from the album, "Amelita", on Perez Hilton's site:

Dixie Chicks Sisters Are Back! EXCLUSIVE Listen To Title Track Off New Album, Amelita | PerezHilton.com

And a third one, "Aimless Upward"

Dixie Chicks' Emily Robison & Martie Maguire's Court Yard Hounds--Get a First Listen: Obsessed: glamour.com

(With the first album, they did most of the promotion themselves, with a series of web chats/performances. This time, Sony seem to be getting involved more directly. They are negotiating advance previews on varied well visited websites - Rolling Stone, Perez Hilton, & Glamour Magazine - and are also issuing an EP ahead of the album, containing the preview tracks and one of the Ryan Adams co-writes.)

Although there's been no official announcement (as far as I know), a San Antonio DJ congratulated Emily and Martin Strayer on their marriage. In this video, they both appear to have wedding rings, so it seems it's true

(That video is one of three put up on You Tube by KXT, where they did an interview and performance session. That station is part of the KERA group - and any fans with long memories may recall that KERA in Dallas first backed the Dixie Chicks, and issued one of their early recordings, "Northern Rail", on a compilation album of local artists. Together with Martie's recent return to appear at Poor David's Pub, they are really revisiting their old roots!)

And this will be the fourth song on the advance EP

Are You Man Enough to Handle This New Song From Court Yard Hounds and Ryan Adams? (Exclusive) - Speakeasy - WSJ

"Rock my soul & roll my bones
    Give me something all my own"

That was co-written with, and produced by Ryan Adams.

Interestingly, Taylor Swift also claims Ryan Adams as one of her early inspirations - and his influence can definitely be heard in "All Too Well", which Taylor co-wrote with Liz Rose.
    The Hounds' song is probably my favourite out of the four they're including in this pre-release - although details are uncertain, it's also possible that they'll include another Ryan Adams song in the Dixie Chicks' Canadian festival dates.

The duo Striking Matches (whose songs have been used on "Nashville" for Scartlett and Gunnar) are going to open for the Hounds

Sarah Zimmerman tweeted this tonight:

I just found out we're opening for 2/3 of the Dixie Chicks in August. I'm dying. I'm dead. DEAD. #mylifeisnowcomplete #whaaaaaaaaaatttttt"

Fans might like to read this review of their performance on the Lady Bird Johnson Stage for Austin City Limits:

"And that, music fans, not so coincidentally brings us to the first of the best of Day 1. After their remarkable set on the Lady Bird Stage, it was tempting to suggest that Courtyard HoundsEmily Robison and Martie Maguire change their name to “the artists formerly known as two-thirds of the Dixie Chicks.” With their otherworldly harmonies and honeysweet melodies, it boggles the mind to think that the Hounds have managed to fly under the musical radar for as long as they have. But their splendid set of tunes – rich on their recent released sophomore effort “Amelita” – was nothing short of stunning.
    Their hypnotizing performance of “I Miss You” from their 2009 self-titled debut album reminded the thousands of epiphanous concertgoers just how good the singing sisters are – and just how much we've missed them"

The best of ACL Week 2 Day 1: Instant replay - Tucson Concerts | Examiner.com

•