Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Farawayhills

Thread: An introduction to the "twang factor" - in 10 songs!

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar

An introduction to the "twang factor" - in 10 songs!

How do you start when you're asked to provide an introduction to Country Music to non-Country fans, in just 10 songs (actually, 10 albums - but only one song from each is featured in the article)?
    This was what a men's magazine asked Kacey Musgraves to do .

Of course, such a vast range of styles as those that make up the Country Music spectrum could never be covered in such a small number of choices - but within that limit, I think Kacey has done a remarkably good job of finding a representative sample of deep-genre styles. This is a young lady with a good understanding and feel for the world of "twang". Probably wisely, given the limits, she's confined herself mainly to more recent examples. Only two of the choices ("Lovesick Blues" and "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain") would probably be universally considered all-time classics. And only one (the last one) would probably be considered Mainstream by today's radio. Between them, though, the ten songs do give a pretty broad introduction to the range of Country Music styles performed today.

You can play a track from each of Kacey's choices here. Recommended
    Kacey Musgraves Country Albums - 10 Country Records Every Man Should Listen To - Esquire
    rainbow1 likes this.

Concert Stars
    You're right. Thats an impossible task. She does a fine job.
    (part of the difficulty is of course, her being a woman trying to pick albums for men.)

So though this may not be "her" favorite music, it definately makes it clear that she knows the genre and truly appreciates it.

Always surprised with I don't see Patsy (she translates to men just as easily as women).
    And if you are going to give a throw out to Loretta, you gotta go back to the deep stuff. Again, guys know what they would dance with a lady to, late at night, on a sticky dance floor. And Lorettas early catalog is perfect.

Ultimate Carrie Fan Farawayhills's Avatar
    Loretta's collaboration with Jack White, that's featured there, was a remarkable act of musical confidence for a lady of advanced age, with decades of established style behind her. Wanda Jackson also undertook a similar venture. Full marks for not allowing their careers to settle into familiar paths.

An additional point: perhaps understandably, in a men's magazine, the writer seems to think that female singers playing out revenge fantasies might put his readers off Country Music (he's not quoting Kacey, there by the way - it's in his own introduction). It's certainly never bothered me - and I hadn't actually thought of it in that light before - but I can see that it might make some readers feel that they were being stereotyped and victimized to sell songs. It has to be set against the background of numerous songs stereotyping cheating or fickle women though

Concert Stars
    Yes, she knows what she likes. I can appreciate some of it...Patti Griffen....but I'm just not into so much of it. She may be the one to unseat Miranda! How ironic would that be?

•